Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #1  

Unhappy What do I do? Help please!

I'm off to a friends house tonight just for a friendly gathering and they are providing food. My friend just asked what do I think of pizza, well being on a low carb diet I think it's a terrible idea, so I let her know it's not good for my diet (but I feel its rude for me to ask everyone to change their plans because of me) so I say get whatever you want. My friend agrees as she is currently trying to lose weight ,but she has an "oh well" kind of attitude. I'm not sure what to do, I'm worried that even eating a slice of pizza is going to ruin my efforts, what do you suggest I do?
Kirkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200+/147/140

Height: 5'3

Take some low carb food that you can eat, or eat before you go, or both. If you think it would be well received, take something to share. When people ask you about it just let them know that you are trying super hard to lose weight and are afraid that if you have even a little pizza, it could ruin your hard work. If possible let them know (in a light-hearted way) that you are really there to spend time with your friends and not just for the food. Hopefully your friends will want to support you efforts and not hinder them. Good luck and have fun!!
Coldsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I always tell my friends to not worry about me and jsut bring my own stuff. Surprisingly, they are okay with it and are super supportive, going as far as commenting they wish they had my will power
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Ask her to order salad, meatballs or chicken parm with the pizza. Those won't be 100% low carb, BUT you can have a little and be in the spirit of the diet.
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I never call attention to the fact that I'm dieting so I avoid saying things like "I'm on low carb now so I can't pizza with you." Instead I claim that I'm craving salad. Or say that you had pizza for lunch and you're dying for a salad! Just make it sound like a craving... people are comfortable when you tell them you have a craving because they can relate to it. But talking about diets and low carb when they want to eat pizza makes them very uncomfortable.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #6  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

I agree with the suggestion to bring something you can eat and also share with your friend- and give them a heads up that you're doing so in a no-big-deal sort of way. Try not to stress about it too much, Kirkz. It'd be a shame to let food put a damper on what sounds like a fun evening so have a great time!
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

You can ask for a salad to be provided with the pizza or how about suggesting Chinese takeout? All of the restaurants I've ever seen (any state) have a section called "diet menu" in which it is a choice of protein and vegetables steamed without salt, sugar, etc and they pack the sauce on the side. If you don't see it, any of the proteins and veggies can be made plainly steamed with sauce on the side if you ask for it.

I love getting plain steamed chicken with broccoli, and you can just leave out the rice on your plate and either use soy sauce or a drizzle of the sauce provided (depending on how low carb you are since they tend to have sugar in them).
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #8  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

I have been doing lc for years and gatherings can be tough. I have learned that even when someone says they will provide a lc alternative you get there to find that their lc idea is wheat rolls instead of white.

Family holiday gatherings had always been difficult. I find out what is on the menu first. I then bring several different items, generally I say I will provide appetizers.. I bring a lc veggie type tray that includes olives, pickles, and a lc dip as well. On most family gatherings I also bring a tray of deviled eggs. they disappear fast. I learned quickly that if I just bring something to "enhance" the meal I don't generally insult anyone that is hosting. My mother in law now counts on me to bring these items to round out any holiday meal, or Superbowl party.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 241/238/145

Height: 5'9"

I just started my journey, and with holidays/parties around the corner, I am ready. Let the host make/order whatever they want. Let them know ahead of time you are eating healthier, and plan on staying on track. Ask her if it is ok for you to bring some snacks/dishes with you. Then bring enough to share. Problem solved!!
SweatIsFatCrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #10  
diamondgeog

I know everyone's physiology is different both mind and body. I am on low carb. But I have had pizza 4 or 5 times in the last 6-7 months. Mostly at kid's birthdays but also once we got a delight (thinnest crust) from Papa Murphy.

I didn't find it ruined anything. In fact they have kind of been cool experiences believe it or not. I was able to eat way less than before and feel full. And I truly believe my body handles carbs much better now than when I was flooding it before. It says ok carbs, I can use those. Before it was saying, hey I got soooo many carbs, I am not going to use these I am going to store these.

These are all great suggestions. But I also think it is worth trying out having pizza (or whatever) once in awhile and see how you do. You might find that it is a totally different experience now.

Warning though. I don't truly know it is is like a drug and you would relapse so to speak. That is something I can't answer for anyone else. For me it hasn't been at all. No cravings the next day.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm a low carber. I bring a salad and eat the toppings off a slice or two of pizza, leaving the bottom crust. Done and done, no fuss about it. You could also bring hot wings to go with that salad, as all three items (pizza, hot wings, salad) are a normal coupling.

No stress needed, just plan accordingly.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

In my experience, ppl (hosts) have ideas of what they want to do (and is within their budget). So, especially friends I would say "please don't worry about me, I'll bring a salad b/c I am watching it right now"

We tend to make this HUGE ordeal of it in our minds, but honestly they just want things to go smoothly. The only thing I wouldn't do personally is ask them to purchase something special for me. What if they have a pizza coupon and are trying to stay within a certain budget? Usually pizza signals cheap and easy at parties.

I'd carry my little salad with me and maybe bring a little veggie tray for everyone, and snack on that.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 315.1/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 7"

I always bring my own salad... that way I can eat and not feel left out. Usually people are impressed and don't find it rude.
therecoveringfatchic is offline   Reply With Quote