General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Why would anyone do that?? Totally confused!! What do I do

Background : I go to this gym which I joined in the first week of January this year. Didn't go in February and March and again re-joined back in April. This gym does not have lockers so every one just dump their bags in this one corner in the room with strength training equipments (there is this other room where the cardio machines are put up). Also, there are in all just 2 instructors and both of them are always in the first room having the strength training equipments and the bags. On an average there are around 6-8 gym bags lying around at a time..so not such a huge number!! And also, I do not chitchat with anyone in the gym. Just do my work out and leave and ask the instructors for help when needed!!

So I have this polythene bag in which I keep the gym shoes. This polythene bag goes in my gym bag along with other stuff. In the gym, every time I need to remove this polythene bag from my gym bag to take the shoes out and then put the empty polythene bag back in my gym bag (outside footwear sit on a rack outside the gym..we come barefooted inside the gym and change into our gym shoes. This place where we change is a separate place near the reception area with sitting arrangement. Then we dump the gym bags in the other room as mentioned earlier and go about our workout). After I am done with the workout, I repeat this process in the reverse order.

Finally, here's the thing that happened. Yesterday, I clearly remember putting my empty polythene bag back in the gym bag before workout. After workout, I open my gym bag and the polythene bag is not inside. I still thought maybe I must have forgotten to put it or misplaced it or whatever and leave it at that. So today, I took a new polythene bag (totally different in look so no confusion there) to the gym, and after I am done with the workout, I open my gym bag. What do I find inside?? The new polythene bag is missing and yesterday’s polythene bag (the one which went missing yesterday) is inside my gym bag. WTF?? Which means someone took the trouble of going through my bag twice in two days. Why would anyone do that?? And with the intention that I notice this!! As I said earlier, I don’t speak to anyone, no buddies in the gym, so no question of a friendly prank or anything!!

I am sorry for such long and confusing post and apologize if this may sound like a trivial matter, but the whole thing felt very creepy. The person did not want to steal anything. As if someone was/is keeping a watch on me and had the guts to go through my gym bag right in front of others!! And the worst part is I am now thinking that because I am overweight I am being targeted or something silly!!

What do I do?? Should I speak to the authority or the instructors, or will they laugh it off?? This is really freaking me out. Please help..........

Last edited by appyfizz; 04-25-2013 at 04:12 AM.
appyfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

What kind of gym is this? Why are you not allowed to enter with your shoes on, that just sounds really weird to me. I would DEFINITELY mention this to the gym owners and tell them that from now on you will be taking your bag with you wherever you go. Seriously, what kind of gym does not have lockers, I'm confused.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is dangerous to be walking around barefoot in the gym. Think of all the other barefeet walking before you, Yuck ! Why not lock your gym bag ? Or if there is another gym available in your area, change gyms. This one sounds to be very carelessly run.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #4  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Your story wigs me out. I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't need ANY more excuses not to go the gym. I would switch gyms.

I go to one now that feels gloriously luxurious and I feel pampered nearly everytime I go. (Or at least that is what I tell myself)
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #5  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

That is just creepy!?!

I'd probably talk to the instructors, maybe that could make them rethink about putting lockers (seriously, a gym without lockers?). And I would definitely lock my bag!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

That is messed up!!! I would totally say something to the gym owners. Its also weird that there is no place to put your stuff.. lockers or at least like a cubby or something so its not all in a pile on the floor. If I were you I would look for a new gym!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I love a good mystery! It will probably turn out to be something totally boring but still! The possibilities! We've had a few weird things happen only to find out YEARS later that there were perfectly logical explanations.

Even so, you need to speak with them and ask about a better place to keep your things!

Let us know what happens!
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/see ticker/130

Thanks a lot for the replies. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who finds this creepy. You all have given me encouragement to go speak to them. I thought they would think I am making a fuss over nothing.

Well, the thing is the outside shoes are not allowed inside because they bring the dirt along. Also, the shoe rack where we keep these shoes is just in the veranda, you enter and there's the reception area, hardly 3 steps away is the sitting arrangement. So not like we have to walk a long distance with no shoes on. And I can wear my gym shoes right before entering near the shoe rack, that is acceptable. But there is no sitting arrangement there. So with all this weight, how do I manage to stand on one foot and balance while trying to wear the sock and shoe in the other without falling flat on my face. The worst part is I have already paid for an entire year which will end in March 2014 and there is no way they will reimburse if I decide to quit this gym. I will talk to the instructor tomorrow and also ask them to make locker arrangements. As it is the corner with all the bags lying next to each other takes up atleast 2 feet of space. They can very well utilise that for keeping lockers. Lets see what they say on this. Will let you gals know tomorrow.
appyfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

It IS weird! I'm glad you will feel confident to speak to someone about it.

How about sticking a note on your next plastic bag - "Hey...I'm watching you RIGHT NOW rifling through my bag...!"
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #10  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Someone rifling through your personal property without permission is not okay, and I think the gym should do something about it. You shouldn't have to worry about someone stealing your stuff while you're trying to focus on working out. At the very least, tell them what happened, request lockers & in the meantime find a lock for your bag.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #11  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

I would make the front desk hold my stuff. They really need lockers...sheesh!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

My gym is a fairly upscale gym (simply because there are no other choices in this small town about gyms lol) and they also make you take your shoes off at the front door....Well, not "make" but the racks are there...I just keep my shoes on until I'm in the locker room changing and no one has ever said a thing. They can sweep up a little dirt, as far as I'm concerned. I won't go walking around any place without my shoes on.

My gym has lockers though and I ALWAYS lock up my stuff because I'm just paranoid about ppl getting into my things. If I didn't have a locker I would get a lock for my bag like someone suggested.

And DEFINITELY make a fuss about it because no one should be going through your stuff regardless of how well it is (or isn't) locked up.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #13  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

hmmmmm . . . It does sound creepy and I can understand that it freaks you out.

One plausible cause, from my point of view, is that some clueless guy is flirting with you in, what seems to him, like an innocuous manner. ( In defense of maledom, being clueless isn't a major crime - just an obstacle to overcome before communication can happen.)

The gym management is unlikely to be of much help. You might be clever and leave a newspaper cartoon in the plastic bag next time to see if he responds the following day with a cartoon himself. Then you'd know that you're only dealing with a shy guy and can figure out what you want to leave in a note to tell him that you're uninterested.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

This gym is really strange. Why wouldn't they have lockers? What's the rationale? I'd complain big time about their lack of lockers and the bag theft.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #15  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I'm thinking the no shoes/lockers thing is because you're in India and things are a little different there?

I'd talk to the staff about it. No one should be going through your things, even if it seems harmless at first.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote