Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #16  

Default A little more about myself

My name is Teri. MY children are ages 8,6,3, and 9 months. This past year, just one month after my daughter was born by C-section I went in for gallbladder surgery, and when they put me to sleep my heart stopped. The doctor said I was out for about 5 minutes. She was unable to remove my gallbladder. I was diagnosed with post partum cardiomyopathy. ( I later did have my gallbladder removed and my heart is functioning normally again...) This incident made me really look at my life. And after months of feeling down about myself, I realized one day it is not too late to do the things I wished I had done. I will start College in the fall. Part time until all the kids are in school. ANd I WILL finally lose weight! I am not on any kind of real plan. I joined a gym after the heart incident because it was cheaper than cardiac therapy. I reached my maximum weight 3 years ago, and have pretty much stayed in that vicinity. I did lose 30 pounds over time, but have now gained all but 5 of it back. I am a stress eater! ANd a boredom eater! And I have had low self-esteem for so long, it made it worse! I read elsewhere in the website that it is the support which helps in weight loss, so I thought I would join the support forum. My email address is [email protected]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:12 PM   #17  

Smile One more day....

Good Evening Ladies,

How was everyone's day. My was pretty much the same as yesterday. I pretty much stayed OP and resisted the M&Ms this time When I got home I went straight into the bedroom and changed and went and did 20 min. on my eliptical

Teri, welcome to the group. I think that Johnnie is our greatest cheerleader! Your story is quite a scary one. I think we all would want to make the most of our life if we survived something like that! Wow! I really admire you for all that you're doing, especially having 4 little ones to take care of! As far as the low self-esteem, I've had that for years I really don't have any words of wisdom for it, but I've gotten a handle on a lot of it with the help of my hubby, (he's #2, #1 caused most of it! ) You just gotta hang in their. You just have to believe that YOU ARE A VERY SPECIAL PERSON!

Hey Marilyn/Paula, How's it goin' on the exercise front?
Marilyn, I know what you mean about getting hooked on exercising, I do eventually get there, when I start seeing progress. Then I know it'worth it! It's been a couple of years since I've been at that stage though.

Sorry to be soooo long winded.....

Polish, polish, polish!

Sharon B.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:13 PM   #18  
Losing & Lovin' It !

Evening Ladies--Way To Shine!

I worked out again today--That makes 3 days in a row. I did 30 mins on the PreCor machine--I think it is ellipitical. Then I did the treadmill of 15 mins. It said I burned a total of 300 calories. I don't know it that is accurate though.

I have also continued to stay OP but am getting a little bored with the food choices so I am going to check out that website~Thanks Johnnie~~you are a great leader!

Sharon~~Way To go on the exercise! The elliptical is great one. It really works you out! That is an excellent step in the right direction!

Paula: I know you will get motivated to start exercising and watch out once you do it will make you feel so much better. I had troubled getting myself going again, but now I am hooked.
Can't wait to hear

Teri: Welcome to the group! This is really helping me to stay motivated and focused by coming here for support. Wow! I am sure your little ones keep you busy. Ahhh. . .I remember those days. Mine are all grown up now, but still at home. They are 22, 21, & 19.

Johnnie: Great attitude about the Susie Q. I guess we all need a little splurge every once in awhile. Time to jump back on the wagon again. I guess that's why we are all diamond in the rough. But. . . we keep trying!

Have a great night!

Marilyn
Old 01-09-2003, 10:37 PM   #19  

Default End of a Good Day!

Hi again Diamonds! Well, I jumped back on the wagon and did fine today.

I tried out the new Pilates dvd. It is great because it has different levels and it looks so easy but, damn, I am sooo outa shape! I tell you what though, I think I'm gonna try and work the dvd atleast 2 or 3 times a week because it REALLY works your abdominal muscle, but is at a slow and doable pace. I can do it if I keep at it! (Atleast that's what I tell myself!)

And listen, I know it's the middle of winter, but I just found out that 7-11 now carries Crystal Light Slurpees! My best friend Penny came over today and brought me one as a treat. It was good! Check out the stores near you and if they don't have them, ask them to carry them!

Terri, so glad to have you with our group. God bless you for having 4 little ones and still being sane! Sharon - way to go on the eliptical. You're making jealous with your tough work out and me still doing the easy stuff! Marilyn - you did awesome too. Dang, now that I think about it. . . I started this group and you ladies are making me look bad!!

I've gotta go sit with my little girl. (8yrs) Hubby's out of town and it's just the two of us tonight. Snuggle time! See you all tomorrow!

Johnnie
Old 01-10-2003, 08:48 AM   #20  

Angry Morning Everyone!

Thank you all for your warm welcome! Yesterday after the oldest two got home from school, I went to the gym and walked for 10 to warm up then did the weights. (my husband had somewhere to be after work, so that I could) The day before I walked on the treadmill that morning for 45 minutes. It was all I had time for. I probably will not be able to excercise today, I have a doctor's appt. I may see if my husband will mind if I go work out tonight. (The childcare center at the gym is only open until 12:00. ANd does not open back up until 4:00. My husband gets off at 4:30) But he will probably want me to wait. He has acid reflux real bad, and cannot eat after 6:00. So I always have dinner ready at 5:00 when he gets home. Then ofcourse he will not want to be home alone...... Sometimes I think I have 5 children instead of 4!! I have lost 4 pounds this week. So I know some of the ten pounds I gained in the past two weeks is water retention. Which also worries me, because one symptom of my cardiomyopathy was water retention. I know everyone retains water, but for so long I had to weigh myself daily, and any weight gain over 2 pounds in one day, I had to report to the doctor. So now I worry anytime I have a sudden large weight gain. OH well... IF she thinks that is the case, the Dr. will refer me back to my cardiologist.
My self-esteem has greatly improved. As I said before after months of self analyzing and feeling really down about myself, I finally realized that I can do anything. It's not too late. That is why I am going to start College in the fall. Now having a direction, and a feeling of self worth, I feel GREAT!!! I did not feel this good about myself even when I was thin! NOt saying I am happy with my body. But my body is not who I am. I have finally realized the difference!! ANd now I will work on my body, to get it better!!

Thanks again to Everyone!!
Teri
[email protected]
Old 01-10-2003, 12:06 PM   #21  

Default Slow morning

Well, Diamonds, my hubby was out of town last night, so it was a looooong night for me. When I feel lonely or bored I tend to binge, and I thought about food all night. Luckily, I kept my mind occupied by reading the paper and writing a letter, so that all I snacked on was a cup of coffee and a graham cracker. (sigh of relief!)

Keeping my daughter home from school again and I have a counseling appt., so I probably won't have time for the gym. Maybe tonight when my hubby is home I'll sneak off to the gym for a workout and a good soak in the spa.

I wanted to take a moment today and talk about self esteem. When I oinked on those Suzie Q's I coulda gotten really down on myself, but I chose to step back and say, "Ok, not the end of the world." and I'm lucky I can do that because - although I'm not crazy about my body- I like who I am. I hope you all take the time to see what a wonderful, valueable person you are. Stumbles or set backs we experience on our journey to meeting our goals are to be expected because we're only human.

If you have a problem with self esteem, be sure and reach out for that praise! Every little step we take in the right direction deserves a and when we have set backs we will not eachother, but offer encouraging words and shoulders to lean on.

I hope you all have a fab day!

Johnnie
Old 01-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #22  

Default Hello again Diamonds!!

I went to my Dr. Appt. and she is going to do complete bloodwork. ( I get it done Monday morning after fasting) She is going to check my thyroid, she said it can cause weight gain ( I gained 10 pounds in 1 week) and we did a chest X-Ray to make sure My heart is not enlarged again, and to make sure there is not fluid accumulating around my heart. And I also am going to get checked for sleep apnea. Once this is all done if the blood work comes back all o.k. she will then check to see if I have any stones in my bile duct, or a hernia or something which is causing my pain. I totally forgot to ask her if she could recommend anything for me to take which would be safe for me to help with weight loss. Maybe next visit. Today for lunch my husband wanted Golden Corral. I ate a salad. But then I also ate two of their rolls, and two cookies for dessert. They looked soo good. I was getting dessert for my son, but grabbed some for myself as well.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:32 AM   #23  

Default Good Morning Diamonds!

Saturday morning and I'm the only one up. Kids and hubby still snuggled in bed. This used to be one of my prime times for binge eating - noone to see what I'm doing, so I'd gorge on sweets. Instead, I'm playing on the computer and posting here so I won't be tempted! I have my coffee, but nothing to dunk in it!

Last night I went out with a girlfriend and did well. I ate calimari for dinner and only had 1 cookie for dessert. (saved up most of my carb from the day so I wouldn't go too far off the plan) I wasn't going to torture myself and have nothing! Today it'll be a good day and no refined sugar.

How is everybody else doing? Staying on plan? Hope you all have a great weekend!

JohnnieAnn
Old 01-12-2003, 01:37 PM   #24  

Default A Real Challenge!

Last night we took our kids out to dinner as a reward for our daughter's report card. She chose Red Lobster and I thought that would be an easy place to stick to my plan - broiled fish, fresh veggies, etc.. When we got there, the wait was over an hour so she asked to go to her 2nd choice restaurant - Home Town Buffet!

I walked around and checked everything out before I even picked up a plate thinking it was better to plan a meal that just walk around and put stuff on my plate. I never realized how much startch and fat they served! I was very good and got a salad with oil and vinegar, roast beef, carrots, and one small piece of corn bread. I didn't even finish the corn bread! My hubby asked how the roast beef was and I said, "Not bad, but it would be even better with mashed potatoes and smothered in gravy!"

I took my daughter to the dessert bar and oh how I drooled but I didn't pick up a single thing. I refilled my ice tea and sat down. When I finally got home I had a cup of sugar free, fat free chocolate yogurt and felt SO good about myself! I can't believe I stayed on plan!

I'm going to take my dogs for a walk later to help work down my breakfast and I've gotta drinks LOTS of water today. Kinda went heavy on the tea and coffee yesterday! Hope you all are having a great weekend!

JohnnieAnn
Old 01-12-2003, 02:15 PM   #25  

Default Sunday afternoon.....

Just thought I would check in for a few minutes in between my house cleaning. Great job JohnnieAnn! Eating out for me is so hard! Because everything is so good. I will tell myself going there....... OK. I will get a salad. And drink water or tea with sweet and low. Then we get there.........I drool over the menu. My husband picks something that sounds absolutely delicious... and I ask myself "How often do we get to go out to eat anyway? I might as well make it enjoyable..."

I talked with my mother last night. She is going to a quick weight loss center. She lost 8 1/2 pounds last week. Eating nothing but meat and salad. Then she will be back on her plan. I wish we had one here where I live. Ofcourse, even if we did I would not be able to afford it. I have been thinking about doing the weight watcher plan like I did once before a few years ago. But I will not be able to actually join and go to meetings. Things are just too tight right now. But I have the material from the last time I was on it. Somewhere. If I don't, I know my mother does... I have thought about doing the all meat and salad for about a week or so, but I wonder if that would totally mess up my metabolism? Mom has to go check in with a nurse twice a week. She has dropped weight quickly. She usually loses atleast 3 pounds a week. But with my health history, I am afraid to try anything on my own.

What plans are you other diamond's on? Any success on any of the plans?

Better get back to cleaning!!
Teri
Old 01-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #26  
Losing & Lovin' It !

Angry Happy Sunday!

Greetings Everyone!

Things are going great here! Sorry I haven't posted for a few days we were out of town for a few nights. But, somehow I managed to stay OP and avoid all temptations.
And let me tell you there were plenty of them at our dinner on Friday night.
But I am back home and trying to get things caught up--laundry, grocery shopping, grading papers, etc.

Today is Day 11 of doing low carbs and I am down 9.5 lbs. I am so excited. I moved down into a new decade of numbers the 160's.

Teri: It sounds like your mom is doing the same kind of plan as me. Eating meats and salads is very low carb. Plus I eat some other things too like sugar-free jello, cheese, green vegetables, etc. With your health concerns though I would definitely talk to your doctor before drastically changing your diet.

Johnnie: Great Job with your eating-out choices!
Good for you passing up those mashed potatoes & gravy. That is the one thing I really miss right now--potatoes. I am also having a hard time getting all the water down each day. I am really going to work at it this week.

I did manage to work out at the fitness center 3 days last week. This week it will 4 days.

Paula & Sharon: Hope you are having a good weekend and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Later,

Marilyn
Old 01-14-2003, 08:05 PM   #27  
Losing & Lovin' It !

Default Where Is Everyone???

Hello All! Where Are You?

I can't believe I was the last one to post and here I am again. What's everyone doing? Hopefully eating healthy!

I have been home with the flu for the last 2 days. Yesterday I was achy all over and my stomach was yucky. Today I feel better but am tired. Tomorrow I go back to school.

I have managed to stay OP and tomorrow is Day 14 of low carbs. Now I can start to add a few more carbs to my diet. I was going to go work out tonight but though I might get too fatigued, I will wait and gain my strength back and go tomorrow.

I hope everyone checks in soon--I am lonely.

Marilyn
Old 01-14-2003, 08:07 PM   #28  

Default Hey Diamonds!

Another good day under my belt. Went out to lunch with friends today (a salad bar place) and had a healthy salad, chicken soup, and half a slice of grain bread. So proud I skipped the pasta and ice cream!

Oh, I have to tell you ladies to look at Costco for these great dinner sausages. They're made by Casual Gourmet and they're called Pesto Chicken Sausages. They are low in fat, low in carbs, high in protein and taste great! With a salad and maybe some veggies, it makes a super fast and tasty meal. Nice with eggs too!

Didn't get to the gym today (I'll do a video tonight) but yesterday I used the stationary bike and did 11 miles!

Are you all doing well sticking to your plans? How was everyone's weekend? Talk to you all soon!

JohnnieAnn
Old 01-14-2003, 10:12 PM   #29  

Default Hello

Hi Diamonds,

Thanks for the invite Johnnie! I found the thread. I am happy to see that so many of you are participating. Well, I am new.

I will try to tell you something that is not in my profile.

I am 29, married, 4 child, 5'4, 285 lb, and I started my homemade program yesterday.

Slim fast shake
fruit
frozen low cal meal
fruit
frozen low cal meal & vegetables
sugar free popsicles, fudge bars or jello for snacks within reason

I am still working on the exercise. I do own the Walk Away the Pounds Tape. It might be helpful if I actually popped it in the VCR!

It is day 2. I am doing much better eating than I was before I actually started trying!! Progress!

My personal e-mail is [email protected].

Reeny
Old 01-15-2003, 12:55 AM   #30  

Unhappy Ugh! A Bad Night!

I'm posting to keep my mind off of the refrigerator! I've had a long night so far (it's only 9:40pm) and every second feels like it's endless.

I think I mentioned before that my daughter (8yrs old) has been having some emotional problems. He brother just went off to college and my hubby travels lots. Well, hubby is out of town and Makenna was very sad tonight. She normally goes to bed at 8pm, but she kept getting out of bed and crying because she missed dad and is worried when he's away. Finally at 9pm I let her call my hubby to say one last goodnight and wiped the tears and got her to relax enough to try and sleep.

I feel stressed! Stress equals craving to binge eat! I don't want to give in so I've got a cup of coffee and this website to keep me focused until it's time for bed. And I never sleep well when my hubby is out of town. . . this is going to be a long night!

Maybe I'll go browse Ebay to keep my mind busy. As long as I don't buy anything I'll be ok! Hope you're all having a better night than me!!

Johnnie
Closed Thread