Old 03-09-2005, 09:04 AM   #76  

Quote:
Originally Posted by corningkat
i am soooo tired of winter weather. i want warmth and to start walking outdoors again.
We had a lot of weather weirdness too. It was 60-70 degrees on Monday--I went out for a powerwalk/jog in short sleeves! Tuesday morning, when I got up to exercise at 5:15 a.m., I heard this weird sound outside and thought "That sounds like rain." Looked outside, and it was POURING rain. About an hour after I got to work, it turned to snow. People in my office who get in around 10 a.m. said that it was a total white-out...you could see the car in front of you and the car beside you and that's IT...almost zero visibility. Fortunately, because it was SO warm Monday, the snow didn't start sticking to the road right away. By 3-4 p.m., the snow was gone, the sun was shining, and you could barely tell it had snowed! WEIRD!!

Quote:
the one i was doing was "walk strong" with toning intervals in it.
How do you like that one? What does she use for toning in the "Walk Strong" DVD? Hand weights? Stretchy bands? How long a workout is it?

Quote:
then i decided to try some of the 4 mile xpress one. that is all cardio and you can stop at whatever mileage you want. i liked that one, it really worked up a good sweat.
I have six of Leslie's DVDs. The two I use (and like) the most are the 3-mile WATP w/stretchy bands and the 4-mile express. You're right--that 4-mile is a really good workout! Do you have the one that is a large class of women, quite a few "grandmas" and a 70something guy named Alton?

I don't ever use the first 3 Leslie DVDs I bought...they are all from the 80s and the 4-mile walk in that set is terrible. Too much repetition.
SheriaVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #77  

Anyone still alive out there? Have we lost all our peeps again?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #78  

Default hi

hi sheriva! sorry i've been mia for a few days. wednesday i went out to dinner and then we all came to my house for birthday cake and ice cream. that is what i like about working days, i can participate in these kinds of activities. last nite i went and rejoined ww. also, now that i'm working days i can go to this. i am only going to pay weekly though for now. if i get to stay on days permanently then i will pay ahead to save a few bucks. i had to do something before i become the same size as my house.

as far as leslie sansone goes.... the walk strong video is about a half hour and uses stretchy bands. it is pretty simple. that is why i like it. i don't mind the repititions because i get all confused with other aerobic stuff.

well, i hope you have a good weekend! i wonder where all our newbies went??are we that boring???
kathy
corningkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #79  

Default hi

happy saturday singles!! and lurkers!!!! thought i'd give us a bump up!

pretty boring saturday here. worked 6 hrs OT, then church, then groceries, then experimenting in the kitchen. i haven't decided the outcome yet.

tomorrow i am going to a home show with my girlfriend for something to do. sounds like fun and i'll get some walking in instead of sitting on my backside.

have a great sunday!
kathy
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #80  

You know the saying "When it rains, it pours?" Well that's this week in regard to eating out. My usual plan is to eat out once a week and no more than twice. However, as things played out, I ended up having 1 meal out for four days in a row--HIGHLY unusual for me. The first, necessitated by stacked dental and hair appts. on Thursday, was a small deli sandwich and chips (I should have left the chips alone, but nooooo). Friday was my usual day to have lunch out and I'd already made plans with my former asst. We ended up at a new Mexican place which, unbeknownst to me, was sort of the McDonald's of Mexican--the chicken fajitas were definitely unlike any I'd ever had but at least they were tasty. Saturday was dinner (Japanese Steak House) and a movie (Be Cool) with a close friend and her dad. Sunday was a spur-of-the-moment, old-friend-is-coming-to-town, let's-gather-the-gang brunch at a somewhat upscale restaurant which was my choice of the places suggested because it had healthy stuff on the menu. I got a beautiful small salad and treated myself to a croissant for ordering so healthy when everyone else was going the massive artery-clogging route. Little did I know that there would be fresh-from-the-fryer beignets (little fried balls of dough covered in powdered sugar) hitting the table soon after we ordered. Oh, the PAIN! I could have eaten that entire plate of beignets. Mmmm. (But I only had two.)

The weird part is that a lot of this food was salty which, because of my hypertension, makes me retain water like crazy and usually results in a huge gain if nothing other than from the fluid. My weight went up 1/2 pound between THursday and Friday (after the chips) and I'm still that weight this morning. I am rather dumbfounded that the news isn't after 4 days of eating out but I will definitely take it!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #81  

Default hi

hi sheriva! sometimes you just have to go with the flow.... unexpected events, company, etc... will always be there. it's just a matter of making decisions and it doesn't sound like yours were all bad. 1/2 lb is not bad, probably because of your exercise routine. i hope this week goes more smoothly for you.

i am struggling myself with the ww, but i don't think i'm sinking. i did 2 miles of the watp tape today to make up for some slacking. over the weekend i'd start logging in the morning and by afternoon i would say the heck with it. but i didn't go overboard, so i think that is a step in the right direction.

now i am back to the house selling stress factor. remember that?? the realtor hasn't sold it and the contract is up this month. i am in quite a dilemma about whether to keep trying to sell it or rent the dumb thing. i am in a pickle regarding my parent's house now that my dad isn't here to maintain it and there is a lot of maintaining to do once the snow melts. i'm sure i'll get a lot of exercise then.

have a good tuesday!
kathy
Old 03-16-2005, 08:13 PM   #82  

Default hi

hi singles! just giving a bump up....is there any singles left besides sheriva and I ???? where did everyone go????

hope you are having a good week sheriva!!
kathy
Old 03-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #83  

Quote:
Originally Posted by corningkat
is there any singles left besides sheriva and I ???? where did everyone go????
Seriously! It's so weird that when people disappear, they seem to do so in clumps; i.e., instead of losing a person here and there, which is always going to happen in an online community, it seems we lose a whole gang at once. Kinda frustrating, but hopefully either some of the previous folks will come back to visit or we'll pick up some newbies. Thanks for hangin' in there, Kathy!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:35 PM   #84  
I am my dog's idol!

Hello singles,

I am an oldie that dropped off around the holidays...I only posted a few times actually and have been off the wagon for months and in desparation...came back to the sight tonight hoping to find some hope for my pitiful out of control life. I have been lately putting a little weight here and there as my clothes are still fitting but becoming tight. I make attempts each morning it seems and vow each night to begin anew each day only to blow it by noon or so over some frustrating, anxiety producing circumstance. I have a gym membership which I don't go to. I bought a treadmill in Feb. which I don't use. I just don't seem to have any discipline in my life for anything other than that which work requires. I am so childish in my personal life sometimes. I want what I want when I want it! Oh, and it's all about instant gratification. It just gets worse and worse the older I get and the longer I am single. I am really just out of control and my feeble attempts as of late to gain control have all failed. This forum is encouraging to me tonight, at least a little. I am so lazy...I don't wanna cook at night after the work day. I don't wanna pack a lunch to have to eat in my car...a cold lunch in my car in this still cold weather. In my job I am in the field all day and not in an office where I can microwave lean cuisines, etc..I have been giving in way too often to fast food, but can't be trusted to hold the fries and sweet tea...which I have developed an addiction to. I used to would NEVER drink sweetened beverages, as I wouldn't dare waste the calories on them...now, it's about all I drink. I have every weight loss book out there and don't follow any of it.

Anyway, gosh, this is long. I'm sorry about that. It did feel good to unload tho. I clicked on a buddy up group at first tonight and read someone's post about needing to lose baby weight and I almost went bizerk(how do you spell that?) before I could X out of the sight. Yeah, you guessed it, some of my eating comes from my unhappiness at never marrying and have those kids I always thought I would have. (oh, I am 43 by the way) There are times when I could care less, but there are times like these, when dot or tom or whatever ladies call it is here and I'm so moody and sappy! Yall know what I mean!

Ok, I'll end for now....sorry to be such a downer..this is not my personality, but I do admit I am in the dumps this week. Thanks for letting me post!
Holli's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #85  
I am my dog's idol!

Yes, I do see my own quote...it was added in here at a much happier and more successful time! LOL It would be great if I could take some solace in it tonight...
Old 03-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #86  

Debbie: It's so wonderful to see you back! I'm sorry to hear you are not in the best place right now in your mindset. It's tough, I know. But truly, if you can get through the really tough work of establishing good habits, the momentum will carry you a long way! At least that has worked for me.

Is there anything we can do to help you get back on track? From reading your post, one thing I would sincerely caution you against is "all or nothing" thinking. I mean, try not to go from never having exercised for 3 months to telling yourself you will exercise an hour a day. Or go from drinking all sweet drinks to telling yourself you will never drink a sweet drink again. Take it slow and easy...baby steps...because every little step in the right direction COUNTS! Here is a list of baby steps I posted on another board that I hope may be of some help. Please let us know if there are any other ways that we can support you in getting back in the groove. Take care!

Baby Step Your Way to Success!

1. Are you a soda drinker? Today, drink one less soda and replace it with water. Next week, drink two less sodas and add two bottles of water and so on, until water outweighs the soda.

2. Are you eating enough fruit? If not, try to eat one serving a day to start and work up to 3-4 servings of fruit a day.

3. Are you eating enough veggies? If not, try eating a double serving of green beans or a salad with your dinner tomorrow. Or munch on some baby carrots as a mid-day snack.

4. Are you getting enough exercise? If not, take a walk on your lunch break. Do you have small children? Put on music or a video and dance around with your kids!

5. Are you eating whole grains? If not, try whole wheat bread or tortillas, brown rice or whole wheat pasta instead of white. Buy a whole grain cereal high in fiber and slice a banana over it (that way, you kill two baby steps with one stone).

6. Are you currently eating out more than once or twice a week? If so, pick one day to cook at home instead. Packing a healthy lunch to bring to work some days instead of eating out can be a great benefit to your health!

7. When you start eating healthier, don't torment yourself over falls off the wagon. This doesn't all happen in one day...it takes time to retrain ourselves to appreciate healthier foods.

8. Are you getting your dairy in? If you’re still drinking full fat or 2% milk, mix some skim or 1% into your regular milk until you can transition fully to drinking fat free or 1% milk.

9. "Everything in moderation." Unless restricted by your doctor due to health problems, there doesn’t have to be a food that is forbidden forever. That doesn't mean you should indulge at your favorite restaurant every day, but it does mean that you can have your favorite burger and fries now and then!

10. "When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Plan what you’ll buy at the grocery store for healthier meals and snacks. Plan what meals you’ll cook. Create a “clean” food environment. Planning ahead is crucial to ensuring that, when you get hungry, you can reach for food that will help keep you healthy.

11. Instead of "3 square meals a day,” think about eating something about every 3 hours. This will help keep you from ever getting too hungry and keep your metabolism and blood sugar on an even keel all day instead of spiking and dipping.

12. Turn to others for support and accountability. Tell a friend you plan to take a walk today (better yet, get him/her to go with you). Tell a coworker what you plan to eat for lunch today. It's amazing how much better you stay on track when you've told people what you're planning to do! Talk to others who are in the same boat for support—like the people here on 3FC!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:21 PM   #87  

Default hi

hi singles! welcome back debbie! we are glad to have you back and more than willing to listen to you vent. i also understand the way you feel. i have been there most of the recent year. i am now on the rebound doing what sheriva suggested. baby steps!!! another thing that helps me along as far as the not having a family goes ( i am almost 40) is that i tell myself i can sit around wishing, which gets me absolutely nowhere, or i can thank god for what i have accomplished on my own. many things of which most women could not pull off without a husband( or 2nd income). i am a self sufficient woman. i am sure you could list many things you have accomplished as a single woman, try to think of those things and be proud. like sheriva said, anything we can do to help, let us know...and remember you are not alone.

sheriva - thanks so much for the "baby step ladder"!

have a good weekend!
kathy
Old 03-19-2005, 01:46 AM   #88  

Hi Singles,

Well on my end I have tried to keep moving more than I used to. I was working out regularly but I got sick and I am slowly working my way back but two things are bothering me. The first is that when I do work out I gain weight as opposed to when I don't workout. Secondly, since I have started going back to the gym, I don't get that energy rush after I workout anymore. Before I felt great after I worked out now its like blah I don't even sweat as much or feel like I got a good workout. What's going on here?
chica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #89  

First, welcome back, chica! Good to see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica8
The first is that when I do work out I gain weight as opposed to when I don't workout.
This is fairly common, especially if you are doing any weight training. Muscle weighs more than fat so, unless you are burning off fat faster than you're building muscle, it is certainly possible to gain.

Another possibility is your post-workout eating. Do you find that you are ravenously hungry after you workout? Are you taking care with your post-workout eating so that you don't cancel out your hard work? I struggle with that on Saturdays because I take a really intense aerobic class and come home RAVENOUS so I really have to put a lot of effort into thinking healthy thoughts on the way home so I don't chow down on the wrong stuff!

Quote:
Secondly, since I have started going back to the gym, I don't get that energy rush after I workout anymore. Before I felt great after I worked out now its like blah I don't even sweat as much or feel like I got a good workout. What's going on here?
Hmm. Well, there are a few things I can think of here:
1) Are you completely over being sick? If not, the exercise could be zapping too much of your energy and therefore you feel tired after vs. energized.
2) Is your eating before or after your workout different than it was before? If you are not giving the ol' gas tank enough fuel before the workout, it could be that you're hitting "empty" and that's leaving you feeling "bleh."
3) Usually, when I have been sick and not working out much or at all, I sometimes have to go backwards and do less workout at first when I first start back. However, it sounds like this may not be the case with you. It sounds like you may be at the point where you have to up the intensity or duration of your workout to get that same energy rush.
4) It could be a mental thing. Having been sick and away from working out for a while, maybe you're just not as into working out as you were. After I've been sick or otherwise away from vacation, I frequently struggle with a bad attitude for a week before I can get myself back in the right frame of mind to ramp up my exercise and get back in the zone.

Hope some of that was helpful!
Sheri
Old 03-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #90  
I am my dog's idol!

AHHH, hello new friends. Thanks for all the encouraging words. It has been a roller coaster weekend. I binged on donuts and fried chkn last night until I was sick of myself. This morning I had toyed with the idea of going to a OA meeting...nope, haven't been before but looked it up and felt desparate. I didn't go tho. I chickened out and stayed in bed until it was too late to get ready and get there by 9 am. Now, I really hate to get out and about on Sat. early since I have to do it M-F for work. I like to be lazy on Sat am. If the meeting had been later, I might would have gone. I proceeded to make coffee and finish off the donuts and started watching part of a movie (while surfing) called "My Life" with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. Something about it made me wanna have a better day and I threw away the donuts. Yeah for me! The rest of the day wasn't perfect, but definately better. I did go to a later lunch with friends and unfortunately gave in and ordered sweet tea. But, a little victory came when we went to a movie and I DID NOT order buttered popcorn (usually with extra butter) and I DID order a diet coke. Whew! I am not without hope once again. Thanks for the baby steps Sheri. I just read that tonight, but I will print it...I think it will be helpful and it is nice realizing I am not alone in this. And you are right Kathy, I have much to be proud of as a single woman. I just have times like these when I don't want to single in a couples world anymore. I want to curl up next to someone and night, I want to plan retirment with someone and well, then there is sex. Boy do I miss that part of a relationship! It's been such a long time..but I mostly miss cuddling with a guy on the couch and cooking and eating together on a Sat. night.

And as a final, good note....I have been experiencing that thing we all go thru at times...ya know, the cruel self talk, "you are so fat and so ugly, you are cow!" and I went to a website tonight of an organization I belong to, to see updates and lo and behold there was a cute, yep cute, picture of me from last month at a party and I was shocked! I looked really cute and hip posing with another girl who I think IS cute and hip! I was her equal in every respect in the picture and I just couldn't believe it as I kept staring at the pic. I couldn't believe it was me! I'm gonna print it too and when that self hating voice creeps up I'm gonna look it and argue for a change.

Thanks new friends...I sure appreciate you right now!