Old 02-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #16  

Default hi

hey singles! welcome ms. sassi! glad you can join us! i have given up on the donations to the gym too. i start full force and then with a big gust of wind the motivation goes right out the window. i'm going to be moving to a rural area and it will be too far to travel to the gym. so now i am acquiring stuff for my "home" gym. i've just had the basement refinished so i am dedicating a small area for exercising.

sheriva - i hope that you are feeling better soon. that flu thing is going around here too. since i am on antibiotics already, i am hoping to avoid it.
i did ge the rebounder this week. it is still in the package. i think i am going to save it for when i move because my ceilings are too low. not that i can't use a little sense knocked into me. i am going to try my ddr sometime tomorrow and i'll let you know how it goes. take care of yourself!

does anyone have any exciting superbowl plans?? this will be the 1st one i watch in a few years. i've been working the last few.
have a great weekend!
kathy
corningkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #17  

Welcome, Ms. Sassi! Glad to have you with us! We can all support one another in moving toward our goals.

Christalynn: AH! Ms. Sassi's post reminded me that I wanted to tell you that I think that the product Shannon mentioned (that pregnant women use for stretch marks) is called Mederma. I have seen it advertised on TV. It apparently is also good at reducing the appearance of scars.

I got back to exercise this morning with a 4-mile Walk Away the Pounds and did great! I tired out sooner than usual, but that is to be expected after not only being sick but also not exercising for 3 days! I feel GREAT having done my exercise for the day and am feeling SO much better today!
SheriaVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #18  
No Uno Mas?

Thanks. I'll check into it..Is it a prescription or over the counter?
I've planned a 1500 calorie day..I was hoping for only 1400 but hey, I'm new to this counting calories.
This is going to be a crazy week for me. I'm working 40 hours without a closing cashier + school and to top it off I've been told that the guy I have a small crush on is re-thinking his opinion about dating someone he works with . I believe he is realizing that I'm not a teenager that will follow him around like a puppy at work. I have my own responsibilities. hmmm...Valentine's is around the corner

I gotta go..I'll check back later
Christalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christalynn
Thanks. I'll check into it..Is it a prescription or over the counter?
I wasn't sure, but I just checked their website (Mederma) and it sounds like it's available over the counter--and pricey ($29 a tube! yikes!). There is a link on the left side that looks like you can find what stores in your area carry it.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #20  

Hello All-

I'm new to these boards and was psyched to see this one! I'm 32 and a graduate student in Missouri (moved here from Boston in June)! I have been on the South Beach Diet since July and have been happy with the results. I've been kicking up the exercise thing lately to get over this plateau....I'm off to meet a friend to go swimming soon.
I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Peace-
Toni
tlcstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #21  
No Uno Mas?

Welome Toni I know you will find a lot of support here.

Hello Everyone. I found this article and posted it on another thread and thought I would share it with you as well...enjoy

Change your perception of the word "diet". Your diet is what you eat and drink, not a rigid set of rules that eliminates the foods you like and forces you to eat the foods you dislike. Develop eating habits you can live with for the rest of your life.
Exercise regularly. Weight loss occurs when the calories we take in are less than the calories we expend. Exercise helps increase the calories we expend. 30-60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity 4 or more days of the week is recommended.
Remember to include strength training activities in your exercise plan. Strength training increases muscle and muscle burns calories even when you are sitting still. Therefore, the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. Strength training activities should be included 2-3 times per week. Don't strength train 2 days in a row, allow at least one day of rest in between.
Focus on behavior changes and not the scale. Each week set specific, measurable goals such as eating 2 servings of vegetables per day, measuring portion sizes, etc.
Keep food and activity records to help you assess your progress. Look them over daily and ask yourself "Have I met my goals?" If you haven't, ask yourself "why and what do I need to do to be successful?"
Reward yourself for changing behaviors with non-food motivators. When you meet your goals for changing behaviors, treat yourself to a movie, a massage or something else that you enjoy.
Remember portion sizes. Portion size is one of the most often overlooked pieces of information on nutrition labels. How much you eat is as important as what you eat.
Don't be afraid to throw food away. Is it any less waste to eat food that we don't need than it is to throw it away? That extra ½ cup of juice or cereal or the few extra chips may not seem like a lot at the moment, but over time these little "extras" can add up to a lot of calories.
One food indiscretion does not make or break your weight loss efforts. Simply refocus on your goals and make more thoughtful choices the next time you eat or drink something.
Eat mindfully. Mindfulness is "knowing what you are doing while you are doing it." Taking the time to be aware of what you are eating and enjoying the experience of eating can help us slow down and manage portion sizes more effectively.
Learn how to manage stress. Many of us often eat in response to stress and a successful weight loss plan also includes stress management techniques.
Drink 6-8 eight-ounce glasses of water each day. Try filling a pitcher with 64 ounces of water at the beginning of each day. Make it a goal to drink all of it before you go to bed.
Balance your plate. Only ¼ of your plate should be made up of meats, the other ¾ should consist of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
Learn new ways to cook and plan ahead. Try new recipes and don't be afraid to experiment with new products. Make a plan for handling difficult situations like eating out and family gatherings ahead of time. Being prepared will help you stay focused on your goals.

Now something on Water...

Water makes up 60% of body weight and is very important for proper functioning of the body. The bones are 22% water, blood is 92% water, and the brain is 75% water. We need water to cool the body, metabolize fat, remove waste from the body, and convert food to energy. Adequate hydration is also necessary for maintaining muscle tone and skin tone.

Most people should drink 8-10 cups of water daily, or 64-80 ounces. Drink water even when you are not thirsty. The body's thirst mechanism is not a reliable indicator of hydration status. By the time we feel thirsty, we may already be mildly dehydrated. When we exercise, we need even more water. It is important to drink water before, during, and after a workout. In general, the recommendation is 8-16 ounces of water before exercise and 5-10 ounces every 15-20 minutes during exercise. After exercise, drink water to quench your thirst, then drink even more. If you weigh yourself before and after your workout, drink 16 ounces of water for every pound of weight you lose after exercise. You can tell whether or not you are drinking enough water by monitoring your urine. Urination should be frequent and urine should be pale in color. Remember to drink extra water during hot, dry weather when our fluid needs are increased.
Christalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #22  

Welcome, Toni! Glad to have you with us.

Christalynn...thanks for sharing that. I agree with the tips on eating, exercise and water, and that's basically how I live. The word "diet" as in "going on a diet" was ejected from my vocabulary when I hit the age of 40. Now, I know that there is no way a temporary diet is going to work...and that I have to instead be work toward a permanent lifestyle change, which is what I've been doing. As frustrating as it has been to spend a lot of the last half of 2004 not losing weight, it was good "practice" for me at maintaining my existing weight loss even when I wasn't losing anymore.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #23  

Great article...especially about the water!! Don't forget the extra perks of all the calories you burn from running to the bathroom in the course of drinking your 8-10 !!!!

Old 02-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #24  

Default good morning

good morning singles! i hope all is going well for a monday. the weekend was nice and relaxing, although too short as usual. i didn't work my sat overtime because of that dizziness thing i have going on. i still think it was caused by medicine i was taking. it seems to be subsiding more and more every day now that the meds are getting out of my system.

i did try my dance dance revolution(ddr) game yesterday. that is sooo much fun! it's a great way to execise. i had to quit after a little while because my legs were getting sore. i was using muscles that were saying "we haven't been used in a long time". it's going to take some practice to get coordinated though.that's why mother didn't name me "Grace".

sheriva - glad to hear you are feeling better!

toni - welcome to our little piece of the world! glad to have you! did you have a hard time adapting to boston? i made a big move from CT to NY when i was in my early 20's.

christa - good article! thanks so much for sharing. it's always good to read something motivational.

well, i have a lot to do in 3 days. i am going to FL again on thursday for 10 days. i have to get my hair done tomorrow and get to packing. will check back asap.
kathy
Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #25  

Hello All-

I'm from Boston so the adjustment to "Middle America" has been the hard part...especially considering that I've only ever lived in Boston and New York City! I do feel land-locked at times, but am getting more used to it. I think the move helped me to get more serious about dieting and getting into a healthier lifestyle...new state, new life...it's almost easier to adopt good habits (and leave the bad behind!) when you are starting over in all others areas too! My graduate program will take at least three years, so I will be here for awhile!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Toni
Old 02-08-2005, 08:16 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by corningkat
i did try my dance dance revolution(ddr) game yesterday. that is sooo much fun! it's a great way to execise. i had to quit after a little while because my legs were getting sore. i was using muscles that were saying "we haven't been used in a long time".
Sounds fun! Wonder if you'll be hurting today! hehe

Quote:
i am going to FL again on thursday for 10 days.
We'll miss you! I can't remember (this is what happens when you get old LOL), were you able to have access to the board while there? Hope so. If not, you have a safe and wonderful trip!

To all: Don't remember if I have already recommended this, but if you're looking for a good workout on DVD that is also a great value, I highly recommend Tamilee Webb's "I Want That Body!" DVD. It has arms, abs, and buns workouts at two skill levels each, which makes 6 workouts on one DVD for about $14. I can get through both beginning and advanced arms with no trouble, but advanced abs is more of a challenge. Don't think I've tried advanced buns. Even the beginning buns one has so many lunges that my poor 52-yo knees have trouble enough getting through that one! Great workout though!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #27  

Default hi

hi singles! doing laundry and stuff so i can pack today. yuck!

sheriva - surprisingly i wasn't sore the next day. i must have stopped at the right moment. my mom does have a computer so i will be checking in. maybe not so much over the weekend because that is when we are having services for my dad and a lot of family will be there to visit with. but next week i'll probably be bored out of my skin. i'm hoping it's warm enough to work on my tan.

toni - funny you mention the landlocked thing. i constantly say that is what i miss most about CT. i really miss the ocean. i live in the finger lakes area but it is not the same. but we do have lots of wineries here!

have a good week and i will check back as soon as i can!
kathy
Old 02-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #28  

Welcome Toni! Hi everyone!

I wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing and let you know about a good book I found. It's called 'The Complete Book of Abs for Women' by Kurt Brungardt. I found it at the library and the exercises and plans that he lays out are so good I am going to order a copy this weekend. I really like it because it gives several alternatives to the crunch and has almost 100 ab exercises. Something to strive for. I know I won't be able to do them all right away, but I will eventually.
Ms Sassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #29  

Hello All-

Sassi...The Ab book sounds interesting. Keep us updated on how it works. I have been looking for ways to "target" those areas. It seems like all the weight loss I've had has occurred in my chest/back/shoulders/limbs (I credit this to swimming), but little has been from my midsection. I have even started taking belly dancing classes to help....I know it's impossible to choose where you loose (or gain for that matter), but there must be ways to "encourage" the fat to leave certain areas over others!! Have others had similiar issues??

Hope everyone has a great day!
Toni
Old 02-10-2005, 07:57 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcstar
I know it's impossible to choose where you loose (or gain for that matter), but there must be ways to "encourage" the fat to leave certain areas over others!! Have others had similiar issues??
Sure, I think most of us have these issues at one point or another! What has helped me a lot with my midsection is the Tamilee Webb "I Want That Body!" DVD I mentioned the other day--specifically the abs workout. Tae-bo is also helping with my midsection because he works that area a lot in Tae-bo!

I had such a smile on my face yesterday morning when, for the first time, I was able to do 100% of the ab workout the way it's intended to be done. When I started doing this workout last summer, I couldn't even come close to finishing it...I would have to "sit out" several reps of each exercise to rest because my abs would be screaming. Then, I got stronger and I could do all but one of the reps of each exercise except that I modified the hardest one to make it easier (and easier on my back). Yesterday was the first time, I did the hardest exercise the way it's supposed to be done and got through it. That was such an achievement! The thing I love about Tami's workouts is that I have been able to see visible results pretty quickly in all three areas (arms, abs and buns/thighs).