Old 07-19-2004, 09:45 AM   #76  
Student of the Hoof

Good morning... it's Monday. Woo.

My exercise for the weekend - Round penning Eve for about 45 minutes in an 80X40 arena. Ok, that was FUN. Weight lifting consisted of squat lifting the end of the couch. First alone, then with Ian on it, then with Valeska on it. Of course, Valeska had to try, too. Man, she's strong. She did it first empty, then with Ian, then with me. And this isn't just a couch, either, it's a full sized hide-a-bed.

Shadow's abscess is still causing problems, but slowly I think we're getting it better. Lots of time spent soaking, digging the hole out, and bandaging. She's also back to being in a stall, which she HATES. I feel sorry for the baby, but with all the rain we've gotten, she's up to her fetlocks in mud and that would just get water in the "boot" and we don't want the hoof totally saturated with water 24/7. I think Eve is finally gaining weight. Finally... the amount of calories I have to feed that horse is pretty amazing.

Red - Something you said in one of your posts popped into my head this morning. You said something about how you loved to eat, and you knew you would always be a big eater, so the trick was to exercise enough to burn it off. I used to think that way too. And for me, I think it was a rationalization. How much can you possibly exercise unless you're an athlete in training? Can the average person who has to work behind a desk so many hours of the day ever really hope to burn as many calories as they would like to consume, even IF they run and weight lift or whatever as often as they can? Even when I'm running 6 days a week and lifting for 3, plus doing pilates for 3 - I can't burn enough calories to balance out what I "like" to eat. Because like you, I love the feeling of being full. Conversely, I love the feeling of being hungry, too. I think I'm just a sensation freak. In any case... I know how you've been struggling, and I wonder sometimes if we don't rationalize a lot in our lives and then wonder why the heck we're not getting the results we desire. I found that if I wanted to actually lose weight, I needed to cut the freaking calories. Period. I can do a fair job of maintaining if I push the exercise, but I can't lose unless I cut the food. It takes both for me.

About the stables... yes, I board, so technically I could have them feed for me, and clean Shadow's stall, and even soak and bandage her foot if I pushed it. But part of the beauty of having my horses so close is that I can go feed them. I can check on them, make sure they're ok, make sure they're getting all the right foods... Eve was underweight when we got her by about 300 pounds. At the old place, she wasn't gaining, she was actually losing more. And Shadow had started losing weight, too. And becuase it was so far away, I felt totally out of control of the situation. According to Rosa, they were supposedly getting the right amount of feed, but I can't help but wonder. Arashi had lost weight rather dramatically last winter till I started hollering about it, too. So until the weight is good on the girls, and Shadow is over this abscess nonsense, I just feel a lot more comfortable mixing up their food myself. Eve is currently getting a mix of Legends, beet pulp, rice bran, and vegetable oil, and I am monitoring and measuring to try to get an idea of when she's going to actually show gain. At that point I can stop upping the quantities and level out till she's at a good weight, then I have to start cutting back slowly till she's maintaining. *lol* My problem in reverse. Shadow has gained back to almost her optimal weight already. Was that WAY too much info?

Jolly - I understand how cool it is to get out of the plus sizes. I was totally thrilled when I could buy "regular" clothes, albeit big ones. I still forget sometimes, though and find myself thinking all the clothes I'm looking at will be too small for me. I had to get Nick some jeans and it is so cool that she fits "regular" sizes now, too. A couple years ago we went shopping for her, and I know it was so discouraging for her when she couldn't wear just regular jeans. Now she's wearing between a 14 and a 16 low rise boot cut and loving it. I know that still sounds big, but I'm really proud of her for not going to extremes on food and for realizing she's never going to be "petite" but at the same time, not giving up and just stuffing her face and gaining even more weight. If she keeps going like she is now, in another year or so, she'll be at a very good weight for her height and muscle mass.

Derry - My daughter is going to be studying dressage. My son is going to be doing basic dressage and then he wants to do jumping, and I think Eve and he will be able to soar. I'm trying to get into something called cowboy dressage - a cross between reining and dressage, done in a western saddle. It just sounded too fun to pass up. I'm actually not from the south at all. I grew up about 150 miles from nowhere in a little bush town in Alaska. I moved down here when I was about 35. I like the foods my mom cooked. She came from a family of farmers and good cooks. So I'm having to relearn how to cook things, and also what a single serving is. I'm getting there, but it's not easy.

Back to work... it's a busy Monday. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #77  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Whew! Someone send out the lifesaver as I am drowning in posts! Just kidding! I hate that I am usually absent on the weekends, but sure do love coming back on Monday morning to find all these posts.

Let's see if I can take care of some business:

Derry: Okay, Ughs are snowboots that are sheepskin lines and harder rubber soles. They come up mid-calf and you can wear them up or roll them over. I hate saying this, as I can't stand this living Barbie-doll, but Pamela Anderson has made them popular. My family has worn them around 15 years, but they are very popular with the Hollywood set right now. (Sends the price skyrocketing, but you really can't beat a great pair of Ughs.) Plus, purple is my fave color, so they will be great. Wacky sounds very strange and I hope your hubby can overcome being around that person. Too bad that pests like that can invade the workplace. I hope things are coming along well for Jamie.

Red: Thanks for your nice words. I understand the bingeing thing, as that is what I do sometimes also. Yesterday was problems with portion control, but I'm usually a binge-er. (Was typing binger, but that sounds like a cherry picker, or something.) It usually only takes one binge to get me going back on track. Plus, honestly, a binge nowadays compared to a few years ago for myself is not really a binge--just eating past the point of comfort.

Happy: Sending big hugs your way. Once you come to terms with finally kicking this habit of smoking, then you can focus on your weight. Don't try to overcome way too many obstacles at one. We are all here for you, so lurke away.

Raven: Why don't you come up and video the reunion for me? See, I gotta try to get you back up here somehow! Sounds like things are much better for you and the horsies with having them so much closer. How is Richard?

Alrighty, ladies, had a great shopping experience yesterday. A local store had all their Levi's on sale 50% off, and I love Levi's. Well, went, of course, straight to the plus size section. Well, I figured since the pair I had on was truly falling off me, it was time for a new pair. Pulled the 18's--nope, way too big. Pulled a pair of 16 plus, a little big, so went and pulled a regular 16. Just Right!! I was so happy! My tops are still in between, but I can honestly say, like Jolly, I am out of the plus size section for pants. Wow, what a great feeling. Plus, Levi's are usually cut smaller, so I am very excited for that to be happening! I also bought pj's, but hey, I want those bigger. I buy a regular XL, and I swim in those.

We did our topsoil in our yard this weekend, so I am one sore puppy! We also helped a neighbor do his. So, we rolled/packed/shoveling two truckloads full of topsoil in one day,all by hand. No wonder I'm sore! We bought the grass seed, so hubby will put that down tonight and we might have grass in a couple weeks. Final boards go up in three weeks for fence. Oh, is there no end? Plus, I HATE YARD WORK! I'd rather clean a bathroom.

Have a great Monday.

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #78  
Student of the Hoof

You clean my bathrooms, I'll do your yard.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:48 PM   #79  

Oh come on, Raven. Just grab the pitchfork, some barn lime, and that bathroom will be clean in no time Chachee, we are opposites. I am bigger on bottom than on top. I have to drop a couple more pants sizes to be out of the pluses for pants. Soon though, I know. And it is nice to see that I am dropping faster now that I am doing weights. Yeah for weights. Oh my gosh. Did I just say that????? Where did that come from?

Oh yeah, Red - "Viruqua" is not the one who convinces me to do good things. I don't know who that voice is (maybe the mature, adjusted me that wants to come out??), but Viruqua is a spoiled rotten temper tantrum throwing three year old. Must banish!

Have a great night all.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #80  

Just a VERY quick update here right now as Jamie has a doctor's appointment this moring, they want to keep track of her weigh as well as have her go to ww.
Such great news for me today! I lost three pounds! That is the most I've lost since I joined 3FC and joined ww. Now down 10.2 pounds! I'm psyched!
Jamie lost .8 pounds, but she is down (think because her mom had such a great week?) but she has her period, and we all know how that can be!
I must say that I ate very well this week, was not totally starved. I really think that dropping down to 20 points a day vs. 22 was my break through. I have been hovering around 154 pounds +/- for weeks, it seems. One week I would gain and the next week I would lose. I couldn't seem to break through to the 150 pound level, where one ends up with 20 points. Finally, by cutting those 2 points a day, this week I had a success. Feels SO good, can't tell you HOW good!!!!!
I have been giving myself extra points for exercise and did use up 15 flex points, but still starting off with the lesser points target each day may have really made the difference?
Hope you all can report some equal successes!
Linda, flying high in NH!!!!!
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:52 AM   #81  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning, all!

Linda: Great job on the loss. That is great and I think you have found the jumpstart for your losses. I do that sometimes also. I think I will drop to the next weight category points this coming week so I can have a really great concentrated effort the last week before my mom gets here. I doubt I'll hit the 40 pound mark, but we will see. I'm at 33.4 so far.

Raven: Just sent the plane ticket and I'll be there with the Lysol toilet bowl cleaner in hand! Heck, I'll even do your windows!!

Jolly: Opposite but so much alike! How are you liking your new hair and your new outfits? I'm still waiting on my Chadwicks clothes to get here. Hopefully this week!

I bought a Pilates DVD this last weekend. It has 15 customized workouts for different levels of fitness/time frames. They range from beginner 15 minutes-advanced 45 minutes. Can I ask anyone who does Pilates if they use one of those yoga mats? I saw one, but didn't know if I would be needing it.

Okay, have a great day everyone!

Hi Red, Hippy, Happy and Sassy!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:53 PM   #82  
Student of the Hoof

Chachee - Oh man I'm SO meeting you at the airport!!!

Pilates mats... I'd advise you get one. Especially if you're going to be doing any of the rolls. Your spine will thank you. Oh and your butt will, too.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #83  

Hey all. I will organize someone's junk if they come scrub my walls and floors.

Congrats on the loss, Linda. Weigh to go
Old 07-20-2004, 06:29 PM   #84  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool Heatwave continues . . .

Hello everyone. I want to get this message out because the computer is heating up my room even more but if I don't do this now I'll be so behind. What a prolific bunch!

Back from riding. This should be my weekend but there's always so much to do, basically, because I have so many jobs to keep the mare in her digs. NOT complaining though. Was up at 3:45 this morning for an earlier lesson than usual. God, that's tough. I kept waking up last night too, the sweat dripping off me. This summer is hellish here. Last year we had practically no real summer (for Tokyo that is) and this year it seems to be making up for last!!

I was up too early to get a good reading on the scale. I'm just doing a no processed food, no sugar thing but the difference this time is I'm back cutting out the high glycemic rate foods, which include some of my favorites, such as watermelon, pumpkin, potatoes, raisins. I did this before and it seemed to help. But I do, as Raven said, simply have to cut down on the calories. I eat way too much and again, I'm only 5' 1 1/2" inches so I need to stop eating for a 6-footer!

Started this message yesterday. Went off to the gym without finishing it. Had a 40 min. jog then did back (weight training). The gym is freezing compared to outside with the air conditioners going full blast. I have to be used to the heat so I don't die from it (literally) so I have to pile on the clothes at the gym. Ridiculous. People are getting so dependent on unnatural things. What will happen if all the electricity konks out? Yesterday, the official temp in Tokyo was 104 degrees! And it's much hotter down on the street (they measure up on a building somewhere). It was hellish. Kind of scary too.

OK, over to you all. . .

derry -- what fantastic news!! That's so great that you're down 3 lbs. Ah, you must feel great! So happy for you! Looks like those extra points you shaved off did the trick. It gets hard when you're close to goal. I mean, it is simple math after all, isn't it? And it's so easy to pile on the calories but so hard to take them off. So, does this put you just at the 150 level? Just a bit more. What is your goal, by the way? You and I are about the same, but I bet you're taller than me. I am just over 150 and sick of it. Really want to get out of the 50s (in the downard direction that is!!) All aircraft in New Hampshire, watch out for unidentified objects!!

And, I sure know the tossing and turning, can't sleep part. With no air-conditioning and this heat my sleep is light to say the least. Luckily, with all my train riding early in the mornings I can get a seat and I konk out. It's very embarrassing to wake up and find I've been sitting there with my mouth wide open. At least I don't fall over into other people's laps the way a lot of people do. Visitors to Tokyo are always surprised at all the people sleeping in the trains. They think it's because everyone is so tired but it's really just because it's very safe and the trains lull you to sleep. Now you see less sleepers though because everyone's playing with their mobile phones.

Sounds like the change of life is a real downer. I hope you feel better. All the more reason to get your diet in good shape. I know that caffeine and sugar really screws with your hormones. I'm back on caffeine for the boost it gives me in workouts but cutting out sugar makes pms almost nonexistent.

Congrats on your NSV. What a sweetie your Lancelot is! Quilting sounds like a great pastime. I'm glad you don't beat yourself up about dropping out of the circuit anymore. Really, competitions in this kind of thing are kind of meaningless, don't you think? It's all subjective anyhow. Well, OK, there's the handiwork, but the design is subjective. Just what some judge likes. It's the spirit you put into your work that's important I would think.

jolly -- great going on your SV! Love seeing that scale move, don't you?! And the NSer was nice too.

Oh, can I ever relate to your swimming story. I have similar stories that have stuck with me all my life. I often wonder just why they did because they don't seem like such big things in themselves but they must have been shockers to have stuck with me. It's these kind of things that mold us and the things that we carry around all our lives. We can learn to deal with them but they're still there. Then again, maybe they were always there and it was just the situation that made that trait so visible to us. I mean, surely, people said things to us all the time. They probably praised us a lot too, maybe not the same people, but others. Why don't those incidents stand out? Probably because our trait, in this case, perfectionism, was already intact. About your little brat throwing tantrums. . .maybe I will start calling you Sybil after all!!

Chachee -- Hello there. Clear on the ughs now. Snowboots, are these for wearing in real snow or just for looks? Do people wear them in the summer too? It's kind of hard to imagine now because of the heat here.

No binges since Friday. Daffy has been relatively quiet but I feel another attack coming on soon. To be sure, she'd be keeping her head low these days as she forgot to tally my hours and missed the deadline for payment for accounting. Then, not bothering to tell me that my money would be a month late, I naturally was miffed on Friday. Her boss is having to deal with it. I try to make it easy on him because I like him but she's something else. Never even really apologized. Always just screws along in her inefficient way, then has others pick up the slack and clean up the messes. Yesterday she's sending me emails wondering if the commas are in the right places in some things I checked for her. Lord, give me patience!!

That is excellent news with your Levi's. You and Derry are having some great victories. Better put an aircraft alert out in Alaska as well! And yes, I steer far clear of Levi's because they are cut much smaller. Well, actually, they steer clear of me because I'm at the upper end of the sizes available in miniature size Japan and I don't think the ones in the stores would fit my rear and thighs. We're talking Quarter Horse hindquarters here, get the picture Rave, Jol?

Heh, hope your muscle aches subside soon. It must feel great to have all that work behind you. I'm with Raven, love getting down and dirty. Unfortunately, not much of that going on in Tokyo. Have fun with your new pilates DVD. I'd say a mat's not really necessary if you're on a carpet because I don't think you need the traction like you do with yoga but it wouldn't hurt. Sometimes getting equipment out like that can psych you up, get you in exercise mode.

Raven -- Glad to hear the abscess is getting better. Will the barn you're boarding at help with this care or do you have to do it all? What is Legends, by the way?

Oh, no, do I really have to eat less!!?? I was hoping for some magic here still. Just kidding. "Less" IS most definitely a four-letter word with me. But I know you're right. I'm just trying to do it in a way that I don't have to be too aware of. "Sensation freak!" I like that. I think you and I are the same there. So, I'm going to give the empty stomach sensation a little more air time. Kind of make the full stomach sensation times the commercial breaks.

It is hard getting the exercise in but I try. The problem as I see it is the desk work. Not only do I like to eat, I also like the feel of moving my body and I like the feel of a strong, toned body. I could say I'm in the wrong work but I'd go crazy if the work didn't involve my mind as well. Right now I'm in a state of extremes, all mind, no body, and then all body, no mind (with the gym training). This is where the riding helps balance things out, because there is a lot of mind work going on there too.

But, yes, I do need to "cut the freaking calories!!" I just eat way too much. I've been trying to eat big salads. They're colorful and filling and I don't think the veggies add up to much. They just take a bit of preparation. The problems arise when I'm out in the city and hungry and don't have anything to munch on. I've never been one for vegetable sticks. An apple is the only thing I can think of that goes down easily and is easy to carry around. Any other ideas?

Well, I've got to get a move on it. Hungry! and gotta go teach today, then to the gym again, then home for hopefully some cleaning! Will someone hop a plane for me too. I'll show you the bizarre world that is Tokyo in exchange for a muck out of my room. Ah, but then again, you don't know what you're getting into. Yowza!

Catch you all later. Have a good one!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-20-2004 at 06:39 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #85  

Wow, thanks for the great positive support on my loss! I should have given out my "numbers" but was really pressed for time earlier. Weighed in today at 151.6, today's loss was 3 pounds and the grand total so far since April 20th is 10.8 pounds! My goal weight is 136 (the tippy top of my range). I am 5'2" (ues, with eyes of blue!)
If I can break the 150 mark into the 140s, I will be so happy. However, I don't have big expectations for the next week as we will be on vacation and I have to be super careful. I just KNOW I will break down and have some things that I generally do not have, so breaking even over vacation or a slight gain will be ok. I can forgive myself and move on.
Chach, I'm not super familiar with pilates, but I think they might be somewhat similar to my own body scuptling tapes that I have. I use an exercise matt for comfort. I think it helps me. I do outer thigh exercises, for example, and one hip bone kind of digs in while I am on my side and the matt really helps out, even on a carpeted floor with carpet padding under it.
Raven, wow you are from Alaska and Chach lives there! I've never known anyone before from there and now there are two of you! The weather down south must seem unbearably hot to you, being from there! Red, I feel for you in this heat wave in Tokyo as well, I totally understandthe word "scary" when it comes to searing heat like that. I think it makes for panic type of feelings and reactions. We go to Rhode Island every year and stay at a house my in laws own near the beach. I leave my nice, cool, air conditioned home and go there and it's almost always the hottest week of the year and, not being used to heat, I suffer greatly. I get angry when I am down there so easily, as the heat aggrivates me so much. I generally fill up the bathtup with tepid water and leave the water in there and take "dips" in and out of the tup throughout the afternoon. I have when the back of my neck is soaked with sweat and I feel just awful.
Hey, I'd make you all a quilt in return for gardening and vaccuming - my least favorite pasttimes! But, fair warning, it takes me AGES to make a quilt. The one I am finally getting done now has taken 7 years, all by hand!
Hey, I found a great 3 point breakfast that fills me up and is totally satisfying. I have one Laughing Cow Lite cheese wedge (do they have those all over the country and in places like Austria and Tokyo?) spread on two pieces of lite toast (wheat) and then have a cup of cut up cantelope. It's only 3 points, filling and tastes awesome, give it a shot! Keeps you going throughout the morning! By the way, Red, know you aren't as big on carbs, but that sandwich with the L.C. lite cheese is VERY portable and only 2 pounds and quite filling! Might be good to take along? I'm thinking about it for my daughter's lunches in the fall when I have to make her something to take to school!
I do wonder if some of the products here in the states are available for you guys that are not living here?
Well, time to sit down with the kids and watch TV.... they are watching re-runs of Friends right now, which I love!
Take care and happy thoughts, or should I say COOL thoughts for you Red?
Linda
Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 PM   #86  
Student of the Hoof

Bwahahaha! Red!!! QH!! Hey girl... like I tell my daughter all the time as we walk our horses "I like big butts!" Legends is a type of feed, I like it because of the biotin and fat content. Makes for strong hoofies, shiny coats, all that happy stuff. I swear my horses eat far better than I do. You sound like me with posting... start something and walk away having forgotten to finish it.

Derry - Yep, and I even got a chance to meet Chach last time I was up visiting. She's keeping my two puppies for me. You sound like you're doing great, and I know how fantastic it feels to see progress.

Jolly - I found the absolute COOLEST thing to scrub walls with .. it's that Mr. Clean eraser thingamajobber. OMG it WORKS! I love those things.

Ok, this was just a drive by posting. I have nothing of import to say. I'm doing totally crappy on food, water, exercise, the whole bit. *lol* I think I finally figured out why, though. Now I need to figure out how to make it go away. See... last year, the plan was that my father's house would be put up for sale, since no one really wanted it, and the proceeds split amongst the three kids. So that's when I realized that I could lose weight and get the pouch thing removed. So losing weight really meant a big change for me. A few months ago, however, my brother informed me that he and my other brother had changed their mind, and that the house wouldn't be sold till after my father passes away. (He's in an assisted living/long term care facility right now.) On the one hand, I have absolutely NO problem with that. If for any reason my father needs the money from selling this house, then it should be there for him. OTOH, my brain keeps doing the same darn thing it did before - why bother. I know for a fact that even if I lose down to the 130s, that THING will still be there. It won't go away without surgery. And logically, I understand all the good positive things about losing weight besides the cosmetic ones. But dammit it's freaking hard to get past the physical appearance thing. Why work so hard if my body won't be any better? *sigh* I'm just venting. I need to figure out how to get around this one, and maybe, again, my horses will be the answer. We shall see.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:55 PM   #87  

Hey all. Just Sybil, Viruqua, and grown up Jolly here for a drive by posting. I did decide to rejoin TOPS tonight. I decided that I would use any tool available to me, to be the best me I can be. The first time I was in TOPS, I lost 40 pounds. I will take all the hellp I can get.

Here's to all of us. Have a great night all.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:55 AM   #88  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hello all. Finding, making some time to check in again. The day goes so quickly it seems. I wish I had a whole week of days where I could more or less do what I wanted, ride, train, read, wow, that would be great. Alas, work rears its ugly head, with all its petty problems. Oh well.

Did get to the gym today but didn't do that much. Only some arm and shoulder weights. Wanted to jog my usual 5 K but wimped out at 2. Just didn't feel like it. Didn't have my heart rate monitor on but felt like my pulse was way up. Probably need to rest. Rest? Another 4-letter word.

Am bummed about the scale not moving again. But I will not let it get to me. Thanks to all you telling me I shouldn't. I want to soon declare an SV or an NSV. I've been trying to find an old pair of pants that I want to fit into. That would be a good measure. However, now, and especially in this muggy heat, I know I won't be able to get them over my knees!

derry -- thanks for the cool thoughts. Sure needed them again today. Always glad to be able to give a hearty congratulations. Gives us all hope I think. You're getting there, all right. You'll be in the 40s in no time for sure. You're just half an inch taller than me. I'm setting my ultimate goal for 120-125 lbs but we'll see. I would be thrilled to be under 140. Right now, I hover in the upper 50s. You can be my rival. I do good with a good dose of competition. In fact, I always thought I wasn't competitive at all until I realized that I was so highly competitive that I was choosing NOT to even play the game. There's nothing that motivates me more than a challenge, a dare. Unfortunately, adults don't do that often. I wish they would. Though it has to be someone I respect, otherwise I won't take up the gauntlet.

Too bad we don't live close by. I actually like vacuuming, and ironing, by the way. And gardening I love too. Just don't have a garden here. The Laughing Cow cheese thing sounds good but there is no lowfat cheese over here. Well, there is something but it doesn't taste very good and it's still pretty high in fat. I doubt Austria has anything either. I used to live in Germany and they really go heavy on the fat. There is great buttermilk there though and something called Quark, which is a lowfat cream cheese like thing. Nothing here though. However, there is all sorts of tofu, even noodles I found the other day and there is also stuff made out of devil's root, rubbery like food with no calories. Maybe I should start using that more. Actually, I've resorted back to carbs. I tried the first phase of the South Beach Diet and couldn't handle it. I had no energy. Couldn't exercise at all. Didn't feel like moving period. Only the first phase is low-carb though so I went to Phase 2. It's basically the way I eat when I'm "being vigilant" no processed foods, no sugar. But I am cutting out high glycemic foods as well, which were some of my favorites, wouldn't you know, corn, watermelon, raisins.

Raven -- glad you liked my QH analogy! I know it sounds perverse or like I'm into bestiality or something but I love a good solid rump on a horse. My mare, being a Haflinger mix has a splendid rear end. Unfortunately, everyone says we're two of a kind!

Hope you work things out with the money affairs. I bet this pouch thing you have, I assume it's some loose skin you got from losing weight, no? will shrink a bit with time. And OK, so you may not like the way you look in the buff but you'll look and feel superb any other time. I'm the same way. I know when I get my fat levels down, my "bust" practically disappears, sags, whatever, yuck! and I'm not happy with it. But, what the heck, with clothes I can always do something. how many of all the people out there are really going to see me in the nude anyhow!

I never knew anyone from Alaska either. Always wanted to go there. Only knew a neighbor who dodged the draft back in 'Nam days, apparently ended up there and later was killed there in a motorcycle accident. I think I mentioned once I had a stopover in Anchorage once. Remember walking around the airport and thinking how beautiful it looked outside. Really must spend some time there I think.

jolly -- hi there. How are you all doing?! This afternoon I was in the library and saw a book on multiple personality disorder. I thought of you!! Isn't it a howl the way jokes and stories actually start to seem like reality? This happens at work too. We're always making up stories about each other and when people who aren't clued in hear us talking they must totally get the wrong picture.

Thanks for mentioning TOPS. Someone had mentioned that, maybe Derry. I wanted to look into it. Tell me what it's like. There's no diet, right? Just a group for people to get together and share their struggles and successes, right? Good luck. You got us. You'll have this group. You're getting there jolly, rock on!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:28 AM   #89  

TOPS was something I hadn't mentioned, must have been someone else. But, from what I hear, it is a good program. I am so big on group support!
Red, I will compete with you! That helps me as well. I will let you win for next week, though, as I'll be away on vacation and I will be trying to, at least, maintain!
Raven, I find myself worrying (in a caring "motherly" way) about you. Don't get discouraged, we all have ups and downs with our weight loss journey. What you think will "never" go away, can and will go away, in time. You have to work and it's very easy to feel defeated and want to give up when the "going gets tough". You are a horse person, so I'll throw out the saying that goes something like this "when the horse throws you, you get right back on", isn't that what is said? So, if your weight loss efforts feel sabotaged, boring or impossible, it's time to get that "rear in gear" and think of something else to help you. We are here for you, of course, but the desire to do this has to come from within. You have the power to accomplish this, we all do, if we try and don't give up.
I'm 49 years old and for the longest time I used to think of myself as "past my prime" and being married for 20 years, I kind of felt like weight loss wasn't an effort to make me attractive to the opposite sex any longer, etc. It's not like I am out there looking for Mr. Right? But, I do need to keep Mr. Right attentive and happy with ME, though, I guess! But, it's not all about looks. It's about will power, doing the hard work and accomplishing it for yourself. We all totally know that a healthy lifestyle is best for us now and in our future. It might save our lives, one day, keeping us from getting cancer, having horrible digestive issues and just living better with more positive energy.
I like feeling a "spring in my step" that I get from working out. I am a more positive and confident person. Knowing what I have accomplished and feeling good about myself has become foremost in this journey.
I have my set backs, and I will again have set backs, but the journey is lifelong and it is a constant battle. You have to want it, you have to taste it, almost!
So, that is my pep talk and lecture for the day, my dear! You go girl!
Just when you think you can't do it, it's time to look seriously at yourself and re-think exactly what motivated you to start this journey. Don't let a few bad days or weeks send you running to the ice cream and chips! Those foods can lull us into momentary happiness when we are eating them, but we can then beat ourselves up about doing the "wrong" things and wallow in it, leading us back to those foods again and again. Before we know it, we are back to the starting weight, and have added a few more pounds this time.
We resolve, anew, to do this "this time" and the same viscious (sp?) circle happens all over again. These are things that I know from first hand experiences. We need to plan of these down times and find a way to dig ourselves out of it, me included!
This morning, on another thread, I posted my actual weekly numbers to show how gradual my loss had been and that I've had a few gain weeks, yet have kept trying. You can persevere!'
Here, again, are my numbers:
Starting weight, April 20th: 162.4
4/27: 160.6, loss total 1.8
5/4: 159, loss total 3.4
5/11, 157.6, loss total 4.8
5/18, 157.2, loss total 5.2
5/25, 156.4, loss total 6
6/1, 156.6 a gain of .2, loss total 5.8
6/8, 155.4, 1.2, loss total 7
6/15, 155.8, gain of .4, loss total 6.6
6/22 154.4, loss total 8
6/29 154.8 gained .4, loss total 7.6
7/6 154.2 loss total 8.2
7/20 151.6 loss total 10.8

Take care you all and off to my morning routine I go!
Linda
Old 07-21-2004, 09:10 AM   #90  

Good morning all. Just did a step class. I just want to die. (Not really, but man, did I kick my own butt).

Derry, I like your revelations. that is why I try to never say, "Get back on track." A track always circles around to hte same place, which is what my previous weight loss efforts seemed to be. Try something that works, get stressed, get depressed, go back to old eating habits, try something that works . . . Well, you get the picture. I want to develop permanent healthy eating and exercise habits that will keep me on the path to good health.

Red - HUMIDITY AND JEANS DON'T MIX I am glad you are looking into my other personalities. We can use all the help we can get. I was the one who mentioned TOPS. I belonged before, and lost weight before I (wait, can you guess??) got stressed, got depressed, withdrew from people, and ate all the weight back. But, I am doing it again. It is nice, because, no, there is no specific diets. They teach about the food pyramid, making healthy food choices, portions, exercise, etc. Support. Contests. It is a lot of good support.

Have a great day all. Hope to hear from more of you later.