Old 07-10-2004, 06:22 PM   #31  

Hey all. Just got done with a parental visit. had a good time with Mom and step dad. Ate decent - wanted to be healthy for all of us. Off to the gym, since I didn't make it this morning. Did get to ride pony today. The vet was out yesterday, and was pleased with his progress.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #32  

Red face Joining in!

Hi!
I'm Linda and I know Chachee from another thread and wanted to join in this group. The other thread kind of sizzled out and I totally want to keep posting and have an on line support group.
I have another thread going as well, but it's "light" as far as posts and people. I really want to be in a group who keep in touch and support each other. So, I hope y'all will be my supporters and I will do my best to support you guys!!!!!
Today's problem? Went away this weekend and fell "off the wagon" as far as eating was concerned. I have all the best intentions and then I blow it!
What's a girl to do?
Well, get back on program, work out and water, of course! Actually, one could call it the four W's, water, ww, workout!
A little about me, I'm Linda. I live in Southern NH and have two kids, Jeff (16) and Jamie (13). Jamie is coming to WW with me nowadays and I am hoping that I can set a good example for her! I have a husband who is "Mr. Hagendas", you know the type? He can eat whatever he wants whenever he wants and has ice cream each and ever night. I order low fat in places, he orders super sized - he never gains and ounce and I fight constanly with it all. Sometimes I get "lulled" by his bad habits and can't resist, this happened while we away. Oh well, water under the bridge now!
I started back to ww with a serious outlook in April. I'm lifetime with ww, yet totally put it all back on and went to outer space or something since 9/11 - eating evey bit of comfort food I could get my hands on! Now, It's time to get serious and be a "loser".
Started back to ww and joined up with 3FC in April at 162.2
Last weigh in, last Tuesday I was down 8.2 pounds. So, this Tuesday, will I have a gain??? Don't know for sure, but I will not give up! My goal is 136.
Hope you all will chat with me and let me join in!
Linda in NH

Last edited by derrydaughter; 07-11-2004 at 04:56 PM.
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:34 PM   #33  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi Derry,

Welcome to the thread. Things have been quiet here recently and that includes me. I guess people go through times when things just look too much the same to get enthused about. I've been too busy to post as well, too busy that is on top of feeling bored and disgusted with everything, including my attempt to lose the fat.

But I'm not giving up (though I took a few days off and have been eating junk again). Today is Monday morning and I haven't had breakfast yet. I'm going to try to do a South Beach vegetarian version and see how that works. Last week I was so good, really cutting back on food, eating super healthy and working out and the scale didn't budge and I was just disgusted. Now people here think I watch the scale too much but I don't think I do. I need to get the weight down, the fat off and it ain't budging so I get disgusted with it all. BUT, like I said, I am not giving up. I know my body balloons with sugar and or alcohol and that includes high glycemic good food so I'm going to try the South Beach as that sounds really like what I've been aiming for. I need a little structure.

We have similar stats kind of. I'm 70 kg now. (2.2 lbs to a kg) and I want to get down under 60 kg, maybe 55.

Your situation sounds very tough, to be with a husband who can eat and not gain. This is one thing that really bothers me. We all have different bodies and people don't realize the vast differences. I get sick of people thinking my battle with weight is the same as theirs (or their lack of a battle!) I truly do not eat much but my body holds fat like you wouldn't believe (well, maybe you would). I think we are people with super efficient bodies, genetic Lamborghinis so to speak and now, in this time of abundance, suffer because of it. We are made for shortage. We would be the ones to survive. Now, we think something's wrong. It's really the other way around.

Well, it's Monday morning here and I must get some work done before going to the office.

Hope you will bring some new activity to the thread. And I want to hear success stories!

Hope to hear lots from you.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #34  

Hi Red Balloon! Interesting name and very intersting that you are in Toyka, here is it Sunday evening and we just finished dinner and you are just starting your day. I love the internet that brings us all together, regardless of space and time!
I get frustrated and bored just like you do. This is a constrant strugle I go through and I have faced facts and finally realized after about 10 years of on again, off again, with my weight loss efforts that I've just GOT to accept who I am and learn to live with myself and that I am someone who MUST always be on guard with my weight and bad habits. I am a person who tends to gain weight when other people don't - even if they eat the same as I do. If I try to pace myself and eat with other people, I will gain, they won't. I must exercise, I must watch fat and calories, I need group support and encouragement in order to keep going - day in and day out. When I try to "go it alone" without a group support, I can't make it - I've tried so many times.
Weight Watchers seems to work best for me. I've tried Atkins, So. Beach, Richard Simmons, tons of other programs and my own personal low fat, low cal "thing" and nothing seems to work - I end up "blowing it". With Weight Watchers, the weekly weigh in and meeting keeps me on track. The only time I have been at goal and got to a goal weight was with WW. Then, I got to thinking I could do it on my own and then all the weight came back. When I have tried doing WW on my own, without the meetings and weigh in, I fail at that too.
Reballoon, are you a native of Toyko or a "transplant"? If you are a native, your written English is superb! If not, I'd love to know how you got there and if you are staying there permanantly and how you manage if you are a non-native with foods, etc.
Nice to have an answer so quickly!
Linda (Derry is my maiden name, that's why I am "Derrydaughter", I love to use my maiden name for certain things as I like it)
Old 07-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #35  
Never give up

Talking Yo, Derry, keyboard whiz!

Derry (Linda),

I'm on the fly here, meaning I have to fly out the door soon! You've got me on a caffeine buzz, thus the quick replies, that and the fact that I'm writing emails to distract from the work at hand. Tied to the computer but not to what I should be doing! You sure are fast on the draw yourself!

By the way, I tend to use the usernames not the real ones because I'm bad with names and get everyone confused if I try to use the real names. I hope you don't mind me calling you Derry.

Quick answers to your questions. I've been in Tokyo for about 22 years. Can't believe it myself. Originally from Pittsburgh, Pa. Am a writer, editor, translator, interpreter, anything to do with language.

As far as foods go, I've been here so long I have no problem with "native" foods. Like I said though, the convenience of all the lowfat varieties is not to be had here.

My user name redballoon was just something I thought of when I first signed up (duh!? I told you I'm rushing here). It's from the French movie and I just had this picture of the elusive red balloon bobbing above the little boy's head. Actually he befriends the ballon, but it'd been a while since I'd seen it. I was more thinking of the balloon as that pie in the sky, the wished-for object, ever elusive. And that for me was the body I want and never seem to get. Do you know the movie? It's kind of a cult thing I guess. I knew it because I studied so much French (from the 1st grade!)

Really, gotta go. So glad to have someone who can relate to the battle, especially when we're talking 20-25 lbs or so. It's so tough and it's something I want. I want to have a waist line. I want to see muscle definition. I am sick, sick, sick of being fit AND fat.

Gotta run, kid. Let's talk more later!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-12-2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:39 AM   #36  

Good morning all. Quick check in from 3rd shift. Welcome to the thread, Linda.

I had a really fun, if short (due to the extra third shifts) weekend. A friend came over, and we played fashion show. She had me try on clothes, and made me donate many clothes that just didn't fit right. Then we looked through magazines, and went to the mall, and she had me try on clothes looking at style and fit. I had decided I was sick of feeling frumpy and bad about how I look. The weight is something that will take time to change, but there are many many things I can change now. The clothes I wear, how I do my hair, wear makeup. I want to look in the mirror, and not be cutting down how I look and who I am, but be able to say I am the best me I can be today. I realized that I don't look at other women and judge how they look based on their weight - it is how they present themselves. So there is no reason I can't look nice at this weight. i just have to overcome years of training. I love my mom, but she did not grow up with fashion and style being important. So I have to learn how to dress to look nice. I have to come to terms with the fact that I need to spend a little more for clothing. And not hide behind black and neutral colors anymore. I can wear a little color. There is no reason to hide.

The neat thing was that I actually had fun trying on clothes. My friend and a saleslady, and some other customer that just happened to be there were all giving me pointers, and grabbing things for me to try. I was a smaller size than expected - actually, not too far away from non-plus sizes again. I bought a great pair of black slacks to replace several I donated, and my friend bought me an early birthday present of this plum colored outfit. Color. Who'dve thunk it?

Have a great day all.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:02 AM   #37  
Never give up

Thumbs up Jolly good goin'!!

Jolly,

Here! Here! Way to go girl! Yes, yes, yes, this is a major thing that you're doing. I am SO glad to hear you have made this milestone because it is a big one! Looking our best, feeling good, this is what it's about. After all, the look we want is just that a look. Ok, other than the health aspects, which I'm sure we're all getting closer to if we're not already there.

I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with being 2, 3, 400 pounds other than the health problems it may cause and the inconveniences. You can still be a vivacious, beautiful human being and THAT is what we all too often forget.

A plum-colored outfit. Sounds elegant. I love plum.

Gotta run. Just wanted to say congratulations!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-12-2004 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #38  
Student of the Hoof

It's a good day to get back OP. Has anyone else ever noticed about this stuff that it's gonna happen when you're ready for it to happen, and not before that? I can fight and struggle and self recriminate till the cows come home, but till I'm really ready, it's all for naught. Today, I'm ready. I woke up ready. I don't know why. So today at lunch I'm running out to get my "supplies" for work. The healthy choice lunches, the yogurt, the oatmeal, the fruit, etc. I have my 64 oz. jug of water here in front of me, and I have no urge to hit the vending machine. I thought about it for a brief moment - I had no breakfast and I have nothing here so the ding dongs were a temptation, but I just wrinkled my nose and realized that today, I'd rather have nothing at all than that crap.

I really apologise for being so out of it for so long. I knew when this last roll started it wouldn't last forever and I pushed it for all it was worth. Lets hope this one I'm on right now lasts as long. I've gained back too much weight, but like I said earlier, that seems to be a pattern. Lose 30, gain 10, lose 30, gain 10... I guess I'm still heading in the right direction, just a little indirectly. So, sadly... I'm at 181 this morning. But no dwelling. I feel much better about getting back on track, no panic, no fear, just "it's time."

Linda - Welcome!! We're usually not this quiet a group, but yep, it seems like lately several of us have been struggling. I hope we can provide the support you need... I know without this place I'd never even have gotten started, let alone been able to get back on track when I lost my way.

Alright.. off to hit the grocery store and restock my work larder. I hope everyone is having a good Monday!
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:57 AM   #39  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hello Ladies!

Linda: Welcome to this thread. I am sure you are going to find the support, help and encouragement you need here. Great group of ladies. We get a little quiet over the weekend, but usually are pretty good with the weekdays!

Red: Caffeine buzz, huh? Cool! I always enjoy the burst of energy associated with that. I agree with you on the big thumbs up to Jolly. I am so glad she went shopping and had a great time! How are your workouts going?

Happy: Yep, it was quiet here this weekend. How is the non-smoking going? I see you are still smoke-free. Quite an accomplishment!

Jolly: Big hug for you and your new shopping. Don't you just love going to the closet and realize that clothes don't fit you anymore because they are TOO BIG! Plum outfit, huh? Purple is my favorite color. Another thing we have in common is almost out of the plus sizes. Isn't that just an incredible feeling? I love it!

Raven: My girl! It's been a struggle for me last month. I don't know what happened. I just wasn't as OP as I have been. Enough of that, though, as July is going to be my really good month. I have three weeks to go until my mom gets here and I plan on being the best at my program. We've all been a little MIA, but the important thing is that we are all back!

Had a great weekend. Dug holes for the fence, went on a bike ride that was three miles long--half of which was uphill. I didn't notice it until my son and I were at the top, but it was all uphill to start with. Went to the local elementary school and went swinging, down the slides, etc. Was a great 2 hour workout!

Looks like another busy week for me. Have a fence to put up, a homeowner's meeting to conduct, etc, etc. When will it all end? August, when I get to have my surgery. (See, an excuse for laying around!)

Okay, have a great day!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #40  

Here's to a great week for all of us. Thanks for the congrats, guys. Your support really means a lot. I have a lot of changes to make, one step at a time. But it feels good. Here's to the journy.

I weighed in this morning, and despite the poor food choices I made last week, stayed the same. Woo hoo.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #41  

Thanks for the welcome ladies! You do all seem like a great group of people!
First, I did try to read about all the posts in this thread for the month so I could get to know you all. I know Sassie from another thread, as well, and had wondered where she'd been. What a shame that someone was kind of spying on her and I do think she has been mistreated. I feel free to speak out in this format and I wouldn't actually care if someone in my circle of friends or family found this and read it, but it would be hurtful to me that they were feeling the need to look into what I was doing on line. Is it really their business if they are spying to speak out and make a person feel bad?
I hope you return, Sassy, and that you are feeling comfortable. What a shame, (not shame for you) for the people to make you feel badly. Everyone is entitled to a life outside of one's family, etc. Hope you are ok, Sassy, I think you are grand person and congrats on the marriage! Saw the photos and you both look great and look happy! You go girl! You deserve the happiness and you deserve privacy and to share what you want, with who you want and when you want!
Caffeine buzz? A ww leader once told me to have a big jolt of caffeine on my weigh in day as it speeds up metabolism and helps you burn calories. Wonder if that is true?
Jolly, I like what your friend did with/for you as far as the clothing "makeover" thing! Sounds like fun. My budget is a bit tight right now, but would love to do something like that down the road a bit. Maybe when I drop about five more pounds?
I always wondered (if I won the lottery or something) if I could seek out ww locations and open makeover shops right next door to them all! Wouldn't it be cool to have one of those makeovers like on tv - maybe with a $ off gift certificate coming when you hit goal? So many people I see at ww meetings are in need of makeovers, me included! If I had a new hairstyle, clothing and all that kind of thing, I would feel so much better about myself! I'm not talking about extremes with surgery and all that, just a reasonable costing consultation where make up, color choices, hairsyle and clothing choices were worked on. I'd even open up a side business of a clothing exchange kind of thing where people losing weight could get smaller size stylish clothing for a great buy! What a dream, now I just have to win the lottery!
Chach, sounds like you are as busy as ever! The playground "workout" sounds really strenuous! I remember when my kids were that small and I did get quite the work out chasing them all the time!
Oh yes, on another thread I was on, with Chach, there was discussions about a "soda cake". Does anyone know how to really do that..... is it just a cake mix and diet soda and bake as per the package? I'm tempted this week. I need chocolate in my life something feirce! Some people have desires for all sorts of things, for me chocolate is IT!!!!!
Linda - Derry daughter, who doesn't mind being called Derry at all, after all it is my maiden name and fun to use for other things! Take care!
Old 07-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #42  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Linda, it was me who makes the soda cake.

One cake mix mixed with one can of diet soda, as per mixing instructions on the box. Spray Pam in a 9x13 pan, pour batter in and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Once cooled, top with one small tub of lite Cool Whip. Cut into 12 pieces and it's only 3 points a slice.

My fave is chocolate fudge cake with diet cherry soda. Lemon cake with Fresca is good, as is vanilla cake with diet Orange soda.

Enjoy!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:07 AM   #43  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

greets my wonderful wenchlette's of willingness and weight loss. of wow's and what the heck's. ~smiling brightly~ my diva's of desire, dedication, drive, and determination. you are all to me the " 7 Wonderous Women of the World" , make that the "8 greats"......welcome Linda!! thank you for the hugs and the kind words. i adore you all so much....can you tell??!! ~points up~ thats sassy being subtle. ~winks n grinz~

had an ephinany the other day that i thought i would share with you. they dont call them the "Lazy days of Summer" for nothin!! (is that a bunnie rabbit or a butterfly floating by in the sky??) not that there arent a gazillion things to do......... beaches, barbi-que's, graduations, weddings, and vacation time. and i believe thats what happens to our Motivation, it takes a vacation. and why shouldnt it, its been fueling our fires since the hustle and bustle of the holidays. ( we Have to do this.... we Have to do that..... so much to do so little time......) the new year when it kicks our Rears in Gear, it wont be winter forever and we want to look great/feel great when the weather breaks. and just before we get so bored out of our gords....sping has sprung! time to spruce up not only our house and yards but ourselves as well. time for a good airing out as we walk and ride our horses. its crunch time, its coming, its just around the corner......ITS SUMMER!! its time to enjoy our fun in the sun, the fruits of our labor, it goes so quickly dontcha know. and even though august is normally the longest hottest month of season....... in the back of our minds we feel autumn sneaking in. and like the lil squirels of the world, we prepare or get ready to prepare ( some of us are a lil thicker then the rest .......ME ~laughing~) so you see ladies our Motivation isnt gone its resting, relaxing, refueling, recouping, and getting ready to spark our fires once again! two weeks till august, just watch Motivation creep back into our lives ~smiling brightly~ and i for one am looking forward to it!

i have been a little discouraged in the slowness of my weight loss, but i did some calculating today and i am averaging 6 pounds a month. thats nothing to sneeze at considering i am not depriving myself in any way shape or form. and i prolly used to gain more then that a month before i became "aware". wtg me!! ~grinz~

i had my first non scale victory this weekend past....... my wieght loss was noticed. it was really nice even though i was incredibly suprised. i dont see it yet, i still see a roly poly woman in the mirror. but if i keep on like i am..... a.k.a 6 pounds a month that would put me down another 36 pounds by christmas! hello that would put me at..... (pulling up the calculator...........shhhhhh) at 157 how kewl would that be!!!

again thank you ladies for being here, there, and everywhere with me on this journey!

sincerely,
sassy
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:16 AM   #44  
Never give up

Hi there all, finding a little time to write something.

Raven -- good to hear from you. Glad to hear you're on a roll again. Yes, I know what you mean about the gonna happen when it's gonna happen and not a moment before. I know it too well. Problem is I just keep waiting for it to happen and it don't! Big sigh. Just kidding.

So tell me Rav, I hear about the horses all the time but what about you? Just when do you, say, derail on the diet plan and when do you do whatever it is that puts those 30 lbs back on? Do you just go hog wild eating, or what?

Me, I stop exercising, 'cept for a minimum, make convenience store runs for ice cream bars, chocolate bars, whatever, stuff my face with all the things I've not been eating and maybe (though it's not planned) decide to meet up with some friends for a long beer downing session. All in all though I guess it's not as bad as it used to be. My weight never goes far above what I guess they call my set point of about 72 kg. Still, why that is set where it is is a wonder to me. I guess I'm more of a creature of habit than I care to think.

Chachee -- good to hear from you as well. Yes, caffeine is my drug of choice once again. It is the only thing that can move me from my room to the gym. I was off it for a long time but recently just am too stressed, disgusted to drag myself to the gym and try to work out without this upper. Bad stuff, I know. Choice of the lesser evil.

Sounds like you got in some good exercise. I would love to be up in Alaska. Only saw it from the airport once on a stopover. That was a long time ago, on a KAL jet. Now there's a lot of direct flights so no need for those stopover ones to N.Y. (which is where I usually fly into).

Good luck on your fencework, no smashed fingers, ok? When is the surgery date? I know you're looking forward to that.

Jolly -- glad we could be of help. Your journey is our inspiration as well you know.

Derry -- very strange but I can't read your post on the thread but can read it in my email so I'm replying to that. Wonder if the others can read it. This happened to me once with one of my posts. Wonder what it is.

Again, caffeine jolt. I don't think one buzz is going to do anything for you on weighin day as far as actually losing weight because of a raised metabolism. But, since caffeine is a diuretic, it may help to knock some fluid out so you'll weigh in less. I find too, though, that the kick (though I know it comes at a high price) is just sometimes what keeps me from lying around eating in depression.

Yes, makeovers. I love to watch them on TV. I really wish I could have makeovers done all the time on me, just to pull myself out of my rut and be a little daring. If someone does it to me I'm more apt to try it myself later.

heh, you know, that sounds like a great idea, even for a private business. Why don't you look into it more seriously, derry.

Oh, derry, please don't go on about soda cakes and chocolate. You are bringing on a craving! Stop please!!! I am trying to cut out "bad carbs" a la South Beach and I am just dying for some. You don't need chocolate. No, girl, no!

Well, here's to hoping the caffeine kicks in again and I can get my butt to the gym. Up at 3:45 this morning and I'm dead. It's so so so hot and my room is a sauna. They say it's going to be a long hot summer. It usually goes through the end of September. Oh, gads. . .

Ciao for now. happy, hippy, others, give us a yell!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-13-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:18 AM   #45  
Never give up

Sassy, hi there. we were posting at the same time. I will read your post and reply later. Good to hear from you.

Now I see your post Derry. Chachee, stop it, you too, chocolate fudge cake, oh no! I am running to hide!!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-13-2004 at 03:20 AM.