Old 11-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #121  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good gobbly wobbly morning Chicksters

Well it finally happened. I had to think for about 15 seconds - What is my user name to sign in Too many things in my head I guess. DH peeked at the calendar this morning and announced 7 more weeks to the year. Time really flies by it seems. Some of it - like summer - I just want to grab on to and slow down for a bit more time.

I'm still taking it easy on the foot but I hate it because I am noticing the leg getting weak even though when I sit I do lots of stretching and movement exercises. I will see the doctor this morning. Then this afternoon there is an active shooter training session in town held by the sheriff's department. Pity that we live in a kind of world (especially up here) that we need to have that kind of thing. It will run over my Stepping On class so not sure I will make it to that one. DH has a taste for a beef stew so I will make that in the pressure cooker for supper tonight. IF I remember to go down and take the roast out of the freezer before I leave this morning...

Annie - thank you for the surprise in the mail! It will come in handy!!! I'm glad you had a good time with the family this weekend. I looked at the menu for the restaurant and realized just how much of a challenge it can be sometimes when you have a restricted eating plan - lots of their stuff was breaded and not keto friendly. I am glad that you were able to find a plan that works well for you. Yay on the loose pants!!!! You might want to try some resale / thrift shops for clothing - the stuff you can wash in hot water But seriously we get some fantastic high end stuff sometimes. I have given up on Kohls and JC Penneys is a disapointment - Lands End too - you can see how cheap (not price wise) the materials are getting.

Laura - congrats on working for a top place. Our company was named the top once - we all laughed and snickered and said we wondered who paid someone off to put us on a list like that ... as IF they only knew what went on behind the office doors I hope your company is NOT like that. Sounds like they do alot of really nice things for the employees. And yes, I agree that you have one of the best libraries in your town. I liked your library better than the one in my town. All in all you guys have a fantastic library system - the best of the 3 places I have lived. Give us a run down on the health lecture please.

Ceejay - saw the pics on FB - what a terrible fall!! That's going to be a painful recovery. I am glad you didn't break anything. That had to be scary!!
Hope you are feeling better.

Susie - wow - a week off... what will you do with yourself? I know, have FUN and RELAX!! I'm glad you are taking the time off and hope you can stick with the committment of time to yourself and leaving the office at the office. You need a break kiddo. I'm glad to hear you got positive results from the doctor's visits. That had to be a big relief. Whew... Prayers do help! Ouch on the punch biopsy - I have heard they are painful.

Hi Shad Enjoying much warmer weather than we are.

Ok, gotta run now if I am going to get showered and to the doctor's on time. Have a good one chicks.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #122  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

CEEG...OMGoodness on the fall. I bet the second day of pain was way worse than the first. Usually the second day of anything, falling, surgery, recovery, what ever is awful. Hope some tylenol or ibuprofen can take care of it. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip<--- no pun intended.

HAPPY...shoot HAPPY, I cannot remember my sign on name to my work computer from one day to the next. It gets worse the older I get. Yeee. Getting old is not for sissy especially this big baby sissy right here. I do think the colder weather makes everything hurt a little more including my ankle. The past 3 days have been very noticable on the pain. You are very welcome on your surprise. Helps to see things daily rather than trying to remember them on our own. hahahha.

Make it a great Monday/night all....hugs.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I'm laughing at the "can't remember sign in names" cause I'm there too. I've learned to keep my little notebook beside my computer which I have to use on a regular basis.
I had a good time this week end. These ladies are card players. They played canasta and Liverpool rummy. When we went for a walk we split up and went our separate ways. I wanted to go to the marina and take some pictures but didn't get the pictures made. The friend who invited me went with me on my walk and we ran out of the pier so we decided to take some different paths. We decided that we were lost after we went up a steep hill so we were going back down. I started gaining speed, why I don't know, and looked up and saw the lake. I thought oh no. About that time I hit some rock and fell flat on my face. All the time my friend was yelling slow down, slow down. When she got to me I was a mess. I had just missed hitting my head on a boat trailer. Thankfully we had our phones and she called the other ladies and they came to my rescue. Think it shook them up a bit and I can understand why. And one had a first aide kit too. I sat out on game of cards and held an ice pack to my mouth and nose. My lip looks terrible this morning but I'm not to sore. And I have a purple moustache. And I have a couple of sore teeth. I changed dental insurance and waiting on my card to come in the mail. or I would call and have that checked out. My hands are the most sore.

-----
Happy
I don't have a conceal carry permit and not at all sure if I want a gun, even though my uncle suggested it while I was traveling back and forth to Paragould. Continue to take care of the foot. As you know the healing process is slow. Stew sound yummy on a cold day. I may have to make some this week. There is a lady at church that has plantar fasciitis and she rolls her foot on a frozen water bottle. It does help.

Annie
I'm cutting back on my carbs but not completely cut them out. I'm dreading all the Holiday food.

Susie
I saw a picture of you on FB and you look amazing.

Shad

I'm going to get started on some boxes that I was going through when I decided to switch rooms. And I'm going to bring the toy box for the kids in here/the office. Something of interest that I'm getting excited about is that I did the Ancestry DNA test. I'm curious to know how many different nationalities I am.

Last edited by ceejay52; 11-13-2017 at 01:47 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #124  

Morning all.

Susie – I’m glad that spot wasn’t cancerous. I hope the biopsy on the other spot comes out clear. == Sounds like you had a nice weekend with friends. == Bet you can’t wait for this week to be done with and to be off for all of next week!! I’m taking the Mon. & Tues. off the week after Thanksgiving, so I’ll have an extended holiday weekend.

Annie – Sounds like that family dinner was hit or miss with the food. Too bad for that, but at least you enjoyed your meal… == Wow, size 8’s getting too big – Keto is really working well for you! == I don’t know about thirsty, but I eat for reasons that have nothing to do with hunger. If I only ate when I was hungry, I wouldn’t have a weight problem.

Happy – While I was so sedentary with this foot, I lost a lot of strength in both of my legs, and especially the calf of the leg with the problem foot. Hated that. Do you exercises include any that will work your quads while sitting? Wonder what your doctor will suggest. – Stew – yum. == Re the workplace honor – I do believe it was based on employee surveys. So yes, they may have tossed out some surveys that weren’t so positive, LOL.

Ceejay – How are you feeling today? I hope everything is healing and you don’t have any aches. So scary to take a fall like that, I'm so glad it wasn't more serious. Otherwise, I'm glad you had a nice weekend away. == The Ancestry test should be interesting. I gave it to bf for Christmas last year. Now bf's mom wants to do it.

Hi Shad!
==
The health lecture was good. It was presented by a chiropractic physician. He started off going through the basics of what nutrients do – fats, carbs, proteins. He explained why sugars are not good. I think I finally understand how sugars impact the body and what the glycemic index and glycemic load are all about. The part about foods that you thought were healthy and are not has to do with not just the nutrition factors, but also the ingredients themselves (genetically modified – GMO, grown using pesticides, etc.) and also the level of processing. He recommended an app called Healthy Living (by the EWG, s Environmental Working Group), which gives food scores taking into account the nutrition, ingredient and processing factors. You can type in the food item or scan the bar code. The higher the score, the less healthy the food is deemed. And you can see the explanation why on the basis of those three factors. Not just generic foods, but brands. So all peanut butters are not created equally. Skippy had higher scores than an organic or natural variety. Interestingly, he reported it was hard to find a good (healthy) score for bottled salad dressings and he encourages people to make their own. I downloaded the app and looked up a couple foods. No surprise that Nabisco Pinwheel chocolate/marshmallow cookies scored a 9, all the way at the high unhealthy end of the scale, and that was mostly from the nutrition and processing factors. I’m surprised why my packet of tuna is scored a 5. Tuna with lower scores seem to be the albacore white tuna. But I thought that wasn’t as healthy because it can have higher mercury levels…

There was only one handout for the lecture, which was a cooking oil comparison chart. It presented in a graphical way which oils are more healthy and less healthy and those that are better for cooking and better for dressing. Here’s a link to the source of the chart, and you can download the pdf there. https://eatingrules.com/cooking-oil-comparison-chart/

He also mentioned grain fed vs. grass fed beef (grass fed is better) and organic vs. conventionally grown fruits/veggies (if you eat the skin, better to get organic) – look up the dirty dozen and the clean 15 online for more info. Oh, and produce is labeled with codes to indicate organic (code starts with the number 9), conventionally grown (starts with 4) and GMO (start with an 8). And, last thing I’ll mention – look up the criteria for metabolic syndrome. It’s not a disease in itself, but a group of risk factors that put you at high risk for serious disease. If you have three of these, you’re at risk: large waist circumference, high triglyceride level, low HDL (good) cholesterol, high blood pressure, elevated fasting blood sugar. Overall, very interesting lecture. There’s another one on Thursday. I think that since I’m so fond of listening to podcasts during my commute that I should download some about health and weight loss to try and keep this stuff on my radar.

Nothing much else exciting about my weekend. I made some lentil soup. I watched the 1999 movie “Magnolia” on DVD. Long movie that has an odd ending that really wasn’t much of an ending.

Okay, lunch is almost over, gonna post. Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by Laura705; 11-13-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #125  
Annie - Indiana

Hey all....

My gut is feeling like h*ll this morning. I think it is bathroom issues. Anyway don't feel like working just lying down but cannot here at work.

Went to JCPenney's last night and bought another bra, a shirt and a Christmas gift for C. Hmm, me wonders if he deserves it. lol. Got a Christmas shirt for both of the boys. They were only 5 bucks a piece. Plus 20% off entire purchase.

Fixed bacon cheeseburgers, wedge salads and baked fries for the rest of the crowd for dinner. Easy Peasy dinner.

Will be back later for personals. Yeeee.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #126  
Choose your hard

Good morning guys,

Temps are just above freezing, I wish the snow would melt as it's going to get colder and this stuff will freeze again and more snow on top will just make for super icy conditions later in the week. They are even talking freezing rain on Friday morning. Ugh - we have a huge hill to get up and down and it always makes me nervous. Of course I will not drive at all if I think it's that slippery out. Thank goodness DH is my Uber driver We got new tires for the Avalon so I am forcing myself to drive it in the snow. It's snowy until you get to the main roads, those are wet but clear to the asphalt. I was starting to get nervous about winter driving so I have to get my confidence back. Doesn't help that we have speeders and tailgaters all around.

Went to the foot doctor yesterday - I am getting an MRI on Thursday on the foot to make sure there isn't bad damage to the tendon - I cannot get the swelling down. He said to wear the boot in the house and I don't have to do a lot of sitting because I said that I am noticing weakness in my ankles and legs from staying off my feet so much the last 2 weeks. After the doctor I went to the senior center and finished the filing that I was doing for them. Afterwards at 2pm we had the Active Shooter training class. Biggest takeaway from that was to run and evacuate as fast as you can. Worst thing you can do is hide under a desk or table as it won't protect you and you become a captured sitting duck. If you can't escape then they talked about barricading the area you are in to prevent them from coming in. Statistics say that a shooter will spend on average 6 seconds trying to enter a room and if they can't get in they will move on to another location. We realized sitting in the hall where we do bingo that 1) D and I are in a very vulnerable position as there are double entry doors, an inner vestibule and then our desk - we can't see anyone entering the building and most likely we would be the first to be mowed down. There are also multiple doors and corridors that would have to be blocked off. Still we were able to take tables and chairs and block the room in about 20 seconds. Of course that was 10 able bodied people springing into action who knew what they were supposed to be doing. We talked about our situation in which we have mostly elderly people and we pretty much have a moral obligation to protect them as best as possible. The officer did say that the first and most important rule is that someone gets away and calls the police. Then you escape and if you can't then you set about disrupting the attacker. It was very interesting. This session was mostly about you as an individual trying to deal with a situation like this, there is a second session which we encouraged the director to schedule where they help you make a plan which is what we need since we have others to look after. I hope they do that. Still having been mugged at gunpoint, I can tell you that you might have plans in the back of your mind but at the moment it happens, you go into auto pilot and instinctively act. The biggest take away from this session was to toss out our long held beliefs that you need to hide and cover. What you really need to do is to get away - it's harder to shoot something that is moving than something standing still. The other thing I thought was interesting was that he said the shooter has to aim and pull the trigger for every shot - even if they have a semi automatic weapon. It makes it seem like they just randomly spray the bullets - that is not the case. They are focused on shooting so that's why you want to break their concentration by throwing things at them - anything - chairs, rocks, cutlery and since they are aiming you want to run and dodge and make yourself a more difficult target to hit. That's why in Las Vegas there was a ratio of like 1:5 for those killed vs those shot.

Today I have a nice quiet day at home. I have laundry and some cooking and some cleaning to do. DH is going to work on the tractor and switch it from lawn mowing to winter snow blowing. I also have to so some writing as tomorrow is my last writing class and she wants us each to submit a writing sample which she will bind in a book for all of the participants to have. I hate to see that class come to an end - I did enjoy it.

Laura - thank you for recapping your session with the health lecture. I was aware of the mercury/tuna link. They tell you to limit your consumption - ie don't eat it 3 times a week. That is the shame with fish - they are promoting it as healthy eating which then makes for a higher demand and to accommodate it they switch to factory farming or GMO's that then take all the healthy out of it. I just re-watched Food, Inc (movie) which recommitted me to sticking with the farm raised meat. I really do think there is a lot more health issues because of the way they have fiddled with our food. Your post reminded me that I should check the cans of avocado oil I have in the cabinet. It's far too expensive to waste by going rancid because I forgot about it! I agree that it's much better to make your own salad dressing. Really easy to make a vinaigrette and if you like creamy, you can easily whip one up with Greek yogurt. I just found that if you do that it's better to combine the ingredients and let them sit for a day in the refrigerator to blend the flavors - vinaigrettes on the other hand are good to go as soon as you put them together. We've been doing way too much convenience eating - need to get back to cooking again. And to your question yes, when I am sitting I am usually fidgeting so I make it a point to do some leg raises and stretches and things that are good for the plantar fasciitis as well as quads and knees. Thanks for the tips!

Ceejay - sounds like you are really enjoying your retirement. How are the hands feeling? I can see from your photos that you will have the horrid burning type of pain from the wounds you had. Takes a while to heal up - no opening jars for you for a while! Glad your sister stuck to her guns about letting you stay at the house because it sounds like you are nicely settled in.

Let's post and see if anyone else has checked in.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #127  
Choose your hard

Annie - you bought a bra for C? Man boobs need support too. Just kiddin' thanks for the smile today. Now's the time to start looking for gifts at bargain prices. Reminds me that I should start looking at things for Mom's surprise box too although she mostly enjoyed the chocolate candy and the James Patterson books I sent her more than anything else. I really hate gift shopping. I will have to try the wedge salad - I like them also - simple but tasty. The only problem is that sometimes the iceberg lettuce is not a tightly packed head and that works better when it's a wedge that holds it's shape. Hmmm now you have me jonesing for a wedge salad

Sorry you are having tummy woes this morning. Tea with a slice of ginger would help calm that down since I'm sure you don't want to drink sugary Ginger Ale.

Last edited by happy2bme; 11-14-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #128  

Height: 5'7"

Hello All!

We have the most brilliant sunshine today in Ohio. It is good to see the sun.

Happy: When you said that your DH said 7 more weeks in the year, I just about flipped! Where has it gone?

Thanks for sharing about the Active Shooter training. We have had something similar at work about a year ago. One thing they told us that when moving or running to be sure to protect your head; they recommend that we keep a ream of copy paper at our desks as it could be use to help block or slow down a bullet. I do keep one at my desk.

Annie: Sorry to hear of the tummy issues today. Hopefully they didn't hang around long.

Good for you for having to roll your size 8 pants down at the waist! And for buying new bras. I have spent a fortune this year, replacing clothes, underthings and shoes. But it is so much fun to shop for smaller sizes!

Ceejay: I guess it is good you didn't end up in the lake but wow...those scrapes and things have to sting for sure. I hope things are feeling better with your teeth.

Laura: Thanks for sharing the information from the lecture. I think I will download that app and see how things I'm eating stack up for nutrition. I still have another 30-40 lbs I want to lose but I am also now interested on the sort of things I'm putting in my body...it's the next phase for me to make changes there too.

Shad: How is the garden coming? Are you still working in it?

Lunch is over and I must get back to work. See you all later!
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #129  

Afternoon ladies
I am in Branson today. Sis is still dealing with her vehicle so I offered to let her use mine again.
Sis and her daughter has been discussing her coming home. Just heard yesterday that she and her bf will be splitting up. I for one will be glad. He's back on drugs. My nephew drill her pretty hard to find out whether or not she was back on drugs but we don't think she is. She just wants to get away from him so she will not start. Of course she is upset. She is so much like her mom.
My hands are healing rapidly. I do have a couple of spots that sting a bit and they are a bit sore in that area as to actually holding something.
Sis is going to do a root touch up for me tonight.

---------
Happy
Your class sounded very informative. Not sure if I could hold it together long enough to fight off an attacker. And I'm sure not ready for the white stuff. Are you not dealing with the Thrift store any more or animal shelter any more? Yikes 7 more weeks till the new year! I always was skeptical about shooter when I work in the water plant. We had plastic type glass windows from ceiling to floor and really no where to hide. I had my route though, if I could get to the back door I could climb down the pole.

Annie
Sorry you don't feel well. I hate those tummy And buying yourself something even if it were a bra? Was it red??

Susie
We have a dreary Monday with occasional rain.

Laura
I'm going to look at the web site. I've been trying to eat heathier.

Hi Shad.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #130  

Afternoon all.

Annie – I hope you feel better by now. Oh boy, holiday shopping and bra shopping, oh the fun.

Happy – I’m debating going back to the orthopedic doctor, or at least calling to see if coming back for another x-ray (last was done end of June) would be helpful or if an MRI makes more sense. I do okay with some walking, but it’s still not 100%. I hope your MRI sheds some (more) light on what’s going on with your foot. If the tendon is damaged, is that something that gets repaired surgically? Must be frustrating to be doing as directed – wearing the boot, staying off your feet – and still not getting the inflammation to go down. == Your class sounded interesting. I’m on the emergency committee at work and attend the quarterly meetings our building manager holds and those are usually mostly the same information each time about responding to emergencies, and sometimes they address a shooter situation. Basically the same as what you learned – run, hide, fight – in that order. == I’m glad you enjoyed your writing class & hopefully you get to do another one sometime in the future. == Yeh, it would be nice to eat more fish, but I find myself wondering if it’s as healthy as we hope because of the sources – farmed vs. wild, concerns about mercury and other toxins, etc. On the other hand, any of the options are probably healthier than some of the restaurant meals I tend to eat.

Susie – Enjoy the sunshine! I never heard of the ream of paper advice. I can certainly keep a ream of paper at my desk… but I’d probably end up using it to put in my printer, LOL.

Ceejay – I hope your niece stays away from her x-bf and the drugs! == Glad your hands are healing quickly. How do your teeth feel?

Hi Shad. Hope all is well with you and the furries.

==
I made my appointment for an annual physical, but it won’t be until later February. Oh well. Plenty of time to drop some weight before facing the doctor’s scale...

I ordered a pair of jeans and a top from Land’s End on Sunday when they were having a 50% off promo. Just wondering when they’ll ship. Free shipping for orders over $50, so I guess they’ll take their time about it.

My SIL texted me asking if she can phone me tonight, then asked if I have plans for Thanksgiving. No plans yet. Not sure what she has in mind, but now I wish I’d invited my mom and bf’s mom over to our place. I say this because bf doesn’t like my SIL and he’ll surely whine about it if I tell him we’re invited there for TG. And yet I know he’s not up for anything his side of the family may be planning (nor am I). Sigh.

Okay, back to the fun.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #131  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

Quick post for me right now - busy day ahead. Morning hair appointment then rush to the Senior Center to grab lunch, then downstairs to cover the phones for 90 minutes while the receptionist takes notes at a meeting then run to my last writing class of the session. And somehow I need to squeeze about 60 minutes of writing into 14 minutes I have available now because I didn't have time to complete the homework that is due today.... And I hope I get home before it starts to snow. Not that we are getting much, I am just nervous about navigating the hill that precedes our road. DH is going to pick up tile today we ordered to install in the basement. I can't help him with my foot the way it is. I have a feeling it's heavy and he will have to tote it all out of the truck and into the house and basement. At least the snow has melted for the moment that will be less treacherous for him to carry things.

I will try and get back tonight to catch up on the rest of you. Happy Hump Day chicks
Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #132  
Annie - Indiana

Good Giggly Wiggly what a way to start my day. Left the house a bit late, Sam's car was in the way, had to wait on her to move it then had a slight bathroom issue on the way to therapy. Let's just say I am commando right now. Find out I have a hole in my pants in the back, oh great! So I get to work and first thing is to put on the extra pair of panties and sew up my pants. WOW OH WOW.

I will come back later for more if I get a chance. Work is piling up.

Love and hugs
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #133  

Morning all. It’s in the 40’s and rainy. This afternoon, the rain will clear out and cooler temps will come through. I confess to never washing my long down coats after last winter ended so I need to throw them in the wash tonight.

Happy – You've got a lot of running around today – isn’t running bad for that foot of yours? Seriously, take care that foot! Happy Hump Day to you and be careful on that hill and tell dh to be smart about carrying that tile in the house.

==

Nothing much to report on my end.

Talked to my SIL last night and we will be going to her place for Thanksgiving, as will my mom. Bf and I will bring a veggie dish. But I also want to bring some mashed sweet potatoes, and then bf wants to bring stuffing because I don't recall my SIL mentioned that in her menu for dinner.

Happy payday to me.

My order from Land’s End is on its way.

That’s it for me. Hellos to the rest of you, hope you’re having a good day.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #134  

Wow is right Annie - commando and a hole in the pants!!! Good thing for that extra pair of panties! And a sewing kit. I keep a sewing kit in my desk, just in case.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #135  

I'm not as busy as Happy but I have more to do today. I told sis I would make soup for tonight and I'm going to clean my bathroom and run the vacuum. Sis has a lot on her plate right now. She's concerned about her daughters coming home as they are not very well organized for the trip. Brother in law was going tomorrow to MD to pick her up but now they decided to stay till Friday and her bf will bring her home. She gets her last pay check then so they will leave after that. I have a weird sense that they will stay till next Tuesday for a walk through to see if they get their deposit back. Not sure that they will. It's all a big mess.