Old 07-18-2003, 08:46 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Talking "Pounds Aweigh"...bonvoyage to fat!

OK I hope this worked...

This is the continuation of a thread called new group, support...it was getting waaaay to looong, so we are now posting here.

We are a group of ladies getting through our weight loss journeys with healthy eating, exercise, and lots and lots of great support. Anyone wishing to join in, please do so--the more the merrier.

Together we can all say "Pounds Aweigh" bonvoyage to fat!
healthyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:00 AM   #2  

Good morning!

I hope everyone finds us here!

Wow! a new thread and a new plan for me. I picked up the South Beach Diet book yesterday ( I have been curious for some time now) after reading much buzz about it here on the forums and in the journals--so I decided since WW wasn't taking me anywhere fast and diabetes runs so heavy in my family--maybe I'd give it a try. It is soooo different from what I am used to though. Time will tell. No sweets! But I think after the first two weeks you can cheat a little--just have to find the right balance for you.

Kevin, key kime bars are very much like lemon bars (crust with lemony egg topping baked till firm and sprinkled with powdered sugar) but they are lime instead. I made some from scratch that were key lime and coconut one time--they were outstanding!

I think chatting counts for face exercise Keeps you looking oh so young! Glad you are enjoying the boys return. School will be here before we know it, so enjoy!

Have you opened a new journal yet? they keep getting better everyday--I am beginning to really like the new format. I had to change my name though. "Loosingme" I know, kind of corney--but for some reason I had trouble putting in healthyeater. I should've just used Renee.

Sandy, I think you are on vaca...and I hope having a great time!

I hope everyone finds us here at the new thread! have a great day! Renee
Old 07-18-2003, 05:58 PM   #3  

Good Evening!

Love the new thread name Renee! Love it!

Thats cool about the South Beach Diet. Let me know how it goes. Ive always been very weary about diet books and such. Plus so many of them want you to eat a certain way, or certain foods, and my budget doesnt allow for alot of extras. Thats why I decided to just modify what I eat, economically lol. If you notice its doing wonderful for you, I will also try it. So please keep me informed on it!

Umm, the key lime doesnt sound too tasty to me. Im very peculiar. I dont like coconut either lol. Picky me! Im not a very big sweet eater either. Except for anything chocolate. Ill break for that any day lol. But some of those strange creations, pies and such, Im not much up for them. Cant even get myself to try it. Which is wrong on my part, because the rest of my crew may enjoy it. I may ask and see, and try one for them.

Ive been looking at the new journals, but havent gotten the nerve yet to open it up and start my own. Bashful, shy, something. Ill work the nerve up.

Well, I got some chicken on the grill. I need to get out there and check it. Ill stop back in later and see how yall are doing. Have a great evening!
Kehush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:18 AM   #4  

Good Morning!

Kevin--day one of the sbd went well. I too, have never been one to go for those kinds of diets either. and about the money for food--you are so right. I have found some things that make a whole lot of sense and some things that don't seem right for me. First off, most of the testimonials are from men. Second, he doesn't suggest any multivitamin to make up for the foods you are not getting in phase one--that seems unwise to me. Bread and some carbs provide alot of b vitamins and thismine, etc. Third, it's based on alot of salad eating--which is great in the summertime, when produce is available and reasonabley priced--but what about winter? I mean it gets cold up her in the North--I am sure it works in South Florida where it is temperate all year long. So, I don't know. I will stick with it for now--but am sure at some point it will be modified to my lifestyle. I cannot see giving up potatoes and bread and sweets forever--I can go for making them rare treats though. I think cutting out refined sugar and flour and cutting down on processed foods is good--but then most of us who are watching our weight are doing this anyhow.

My neighbor lost a ton of weight on Adkins--and you still can't sell me on that one. But all the buzz about dropping some carbs from your diet is beginning to make sense to me. Time will tell...

Glad you like the new thread. Hope everyone can follow us here. I think you should journal when you are ready. it is intimidating to let everyone know your business. For a awhile, I think dh or dd might have been reading mine--but I put a stop to that and changed my screen name and password. Plus, I always log out--then only I can get into the control panel. But the new journals are a little different.

Well, have a great weekend. My kids are gone for a couple of days and I have some yard work to tackle today! Renee
Old 07-19-2003, 07:46 PM   #5  

Afternoon Everyone,

Sounds like you have really been reading your new SBD book. Sounds very interesting. But Im still skiddish. Just keep me updated on how you are feeling with it and how you are liking it. I will try it if you are liking what you are seeing.

I never understood the Atkins diet either. Actually I dont understand much of any of them. I read the other posts where they talk about inductions and phases and I get completely lost. Like I did with WW points and such. All of it sounds like a foreign language. Maybe I should just go to some of the websites and check them out and do a little reading.

I have started many handwritten journals. But I always end up shredding them because Im afraid my hubby will find them lol. He will snoop big time each time he knows I have started one. For a while I kept it locked in the trunk of my car under the spare tire. He never looks there, cause I got the only set of keys , hehe. So Im in the process of getting my nerve up to put myself out there. It seems easy, with everyone that has them. Just bite the bullet and do it huh?????

Well, I better get going. Gotta get a bath. Me and the boys helped my next door neighbor clean up sticks and limbs and all. It took us 3 hours in the heat to get the 2 acre lot cleared so he could mow. He gave the boys 5 dollars each and then stopped by my house and mowed my yard Thank goodness that chore is off my list!

Well have a great night everyone. Hope everyone is well. Talk to you later.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

here i am i am goin to catch up tomorrow have a good one
gigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #7  

Smile hello you thinning girls!

hello!

Sandy! so glad you found us. Looking forward to hearing from you!!! We have missed you!

Kevin, wow--picking up sticks, now there is a workout. Up, down, up, down...That was nice that he mowed for you! Journal when you are ready, my dear. It really is just for you anyway...some people it helps, others, I think just becomes a chore. For me, when I was younger, I wanted to be a writer at one point in my life. So I enjoy it.

South Beach has been good. Had 3 straight days of OP, no cheats. No exercise either--but part of me is sceptical (my nature, I think) so I think the true test of the plan will be do I loose with just changing the eating pattern...

And loosing I am. Down to 195 today. That is 3 lbs since last Thursday. So I will take that. This is week before TOM too--so I do feel bloated.

Bought my nephew a hamster today for his bday. His mom said it was ok. He turned 9 on Sunday. It's cute. He named it "honey" My ds suggested it, and he liked it.

Take care, girls! Renee
Old 07-22-2003, 09:26 PM   #8  

Talking Gooooooooooo Renee!!!!!

Howdy Everyone

Way to go Renee!!! 195 lbs!!! Awesome. I know you were thrilled after the plateau you had hit! Congrats! Looks like the SBD is doing well! I will definately have to give it a go.

Thats awesome that you wanted to be a writer when you were younger. Im not very good at writing. I have no imagination at all. You were born with a great talent. And I truly enjoy reading your journals. Im just too shy. Gives me the willies lol. I have went and started to write a journal several times now. I just sit panic stricken lol, and then leave. My fingers feel like concrete and wont move for nothing.

Sandy????? Did you have your vacation? Hope you enjoyed it lots! We have missed ya and cant wait to hear from you soon.

Well, gotta get going. Have a great night everyone. Hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one! Take care.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Good day everyone! Back from the never never land. Still have no puter but I am getting very close right now to gettin one.

The SBD everyone let me know how it goes. I am still struggling to get back into my groove after all that has went on lately. I have started going back to the gym and the eating hasn't been too out of line. I only gained 1 lb so I take that as a good sign.

We had a mini vacation. A friend and myself took the kids to Ky Kingdom for a day and then we came back home. I am filinmg for divorce in a few days I have to wait til Richard comes up and sigms some papers for me and then I can file.

The key lime bars sounds good to me. I am, ready for some of those.

I guess that i better go for now catch everyone later.

sandy
gigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:10 PM   #10  

Good afternoon to all!

Sandy, so glad to hear from you! A one pound gain is good considering all that you have been through. I am sure it will be nice to put this all behind you! I am glad you are taking time out for yourself and Corey to have a little fun. I am sure you really need it!

kevin, thanks for the compliment on the journal. I really just do it for me--but it does come pretty easy. You will know if it is something you want to do and when it feels right. I love getting comments--it's like a reality check sometimes. We can be so blind to reality sometimes just chugging along in our own little worlds. Anyway, I always enjoy reading your posts. Very easy to read and follow. Just like you are really talking.

Ok, today's weigh-in was 194. I am liking these week one results. And I finally got 30 min in on the treadmill this morn and a walk around the lake last night. Tomorrow is my official weigh in day though. Sandy, if you find you are stuck--although WW seemed to be working wonderfully for you--this plan is really easy for the most part. We will see if it all stays off though--when I start back on whole grains. I have had a few cheats here and there though. Eating out at restaurants is super easy . Making dinner for the family and avoiding potatoes and starchy things like pasta and rice has been a little hard--because I do make them with every dinner for everyone else. I just double up on veggies, which I am sure is not a bad thing--but I may tire of it eventually.

have a great rest of the day, girls! Renee
Old 07-23-2003, 06:32 PM   #11  

Hellooooooo,

Welcome back Sandy! Glad to hear you only had a 1lb gain. That will be a breeze for you to get rid of. I agree with Renee, all that you have been thru recently, you have really done a wonderful job loosing and maintaining. My hats off to you. Your doing wonderful. How was KY Kingdom? Is that a type of amusement park? Im hoping to take the kids to Wild Adventures in a few weeks. I think hubby's daughter will be going with us as well. I hope she enjoys being stuck with us for a few days. It will be a real test for all of us.

Ok, tell me if this is right Renee. On the SBD diet, you cut out certain foods for the beginning and then slowly reintroduce them later??? As in the whole grains you were talking about??? And you cut out the starches and such all together?

Im cooking the boys and hubby spaghetti tonight and Im gonna grill me a pork chop and Im fixing myself some peas and okra mixed. I hate cooking 2 different meals. I wish my men would eat what I eat. But that will never happen. I couldnt convert them if I bribed them. They wont budge.

Well, I better get cracking. Gonna try and walk. Its been storming here every darn day. So Im hoping the rain allows me 1 hour tonight. Keep ya fingers crossed.

Take care and Ill talk to you all later.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #12  

Good Thursday morn!

Kevin, I know what you mean about the rain! This summer has had so many days of it. I just hope we don't have a repeat of last winter, this winter. boy, that was alot of snow!! Hoping for many sunny days for us all!

SBD--yes, that is pretty much right. Cut out all breads and startches for 2 weeks, then slowly add them back in. (Certain startches eat very rarely) Here is a link to a site with alot of info--in fact, had I found it before I purchased the book, I would have just used this. The book does have menus though--and that has been helpful to some degree. http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...,5345,00.html? I hope the link works. Anyway, if you are interested, there is alot of info there.

We too, are looking into taking the kids on some small adventures around home before the summer is out. Joe wants to visit the USS Cod and Mathers (a sub and a ore ship--both museums on the shores of Lake Erie in Cleveland.) Probably make a day of it and eat somewhere in the flats on the river. (the flats is an industrial wharehouse area turned restaurants and niteclubs) And, then there are the amusement parks. Cedar Point or 6 Flags. I like Cedar Point much better--but it is more expensive and further away. Not much of a coaster lover though.

Anyway, have a wonderful day!! Renee
Old 07-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #13  

Evening,

Thanks for the link Renee, Im gonna go and have a look here in a minute. Sounds like your doing very well with it and enjoying it, and it seems to like you. The lbs are really dropping! Congrats.

Not alot to report on tonight. Just come in from walking. Walked alot later than usual. But it was very cool. The gnats are still horrid at this time of night. Ill be so glad when fall gets here and those little devils leave! It was a nice walk though. Very quiet and calm. And best of all..........NO RAIN!

I weighed in today. WOWOWOW, I am down to 187. I just know its gonna stop soon, and that plateau everyone speaks of is gonna hit me like a ton of bricks. Im dreading it. I just finished "Damien" as my hubby calls it (that time of the month), so Im assuming some of the loss was maybe fluid from that. Im starting to get so excited lol. I can almost see 130-135.

Well, I gotta get going. Hope everyone is doing great. Talk to you all later.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #14  

Renee,

How do you manage avoiding dairy products during Phase 1???? It says to avoid all dairy, but then it goes on to say you can have low fat milk and low fat cheese? Arent those still considered dairy, even if they are low fat? Im confused. Or do I need to keep reading to find that out, before I start asking stupid questions?? LOL.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #15  

Good Morning!

WTG Kevin! That is great about your weigh-in. Makes all that walking seem worth every step!

I found alot of that in the book as well--contadictions. The text does say that as well, but then in the menu you are allowed lowfat cheeses. In fact, in the list of foods NOT to avoid--cheeses are there (lowfat)--but no milk until phase two. I don't get it either. Here is another thing, in the text he says--no need to give up tea or coffee, because it is enough just rying to change our eating--but then decaf is listed in the menus. The same is true with eggs--he says eat regular eggs, the book menus list egg substitute half the time. I am just doing my own sort of thing. I am not drinking milk at this time (but do a multivitamin), no rice, no potatoes, no pasta, nothing fried (which I never ate alot of fried anyway) and no starchy veggies (like corn or peas). It sounds restrictive, but it's really not too bad. Sugar free, fat free frozen fudgesicles are allowed and ricotta cheese.

The strange thing is, before I was "crazy" hungry about 3-4pm. I could eat and eat. And what did I crave? Sweets, breads, rice cakes, carby things. Now, I never really get "crazy" hungry like that, and a small protein snack seems to satisfy me just fine. (cottage cheese, string cheese, peanuts) Anyway,

This weekend is my 20th class reunion. Wow! I am not going. Said i wouldn't go till I lost about 70 pounds (that was last year) Well, now I only have about 40 to go (ha! only...lol) but I am still not going. I graduated from a school with some very snobby and priveledged people, and really don't care to see most of them ever again. I do have a few friends I have kept in touch with over the years though. My one girlfriend, graduated from West Point and is a physician in Hawaii. I am so proud of her accomplishment. Anyway, she is going--more to say--see what I have done with my life than anything. I say, You go girl! Isn't that what reunions are really all about anyway??

Take care and have a great day! Renee

Last edited by healthyeater; 07-25-2003 at 10:13 AM.