Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #31  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

MICHELLE....I WOULD COME AND COOK FOR YOU BUT I'M NOT EVEN COOKING FOR MYSELF GOOD LUCK!

SHAD....I WILL TRY AND ABSTAIN FROM HANGING OUT THE WINDOW WATCHING THE GUYS CAUSING MY EYES TO BULGE OUT HAPPY PAINTING! 4 INGREDIENTS? THAT SOUNDS LIKE JEN'S COOKING!!!

CEEJAY...YOUR AVATAR IS SO BEAUTIFUL THAT EACH TIME I COME HERE I HAVE TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DAY OUT WAS A GREAT ONE! MY GRAM USED TO MAKE CREAMED CELERY BUT THAT'S NOT GOOD FOR DIETERS

THANK GOD THE EYE IS GETTING "MORE BETTERER" EVERY DAY. GEEZ...WHAT IS IT WITH ME AND MY FRIGGING EYES?? EVERY FEW WEEKS I FIND ANOTHER WAY TO HURT THEM
I MOVED A FEW MORE THINGS THAT I USE ON A REGULAR BASIS DOWN LOWER. SOON THE ENTIRE APARTMENT WILL BE LINED UP ON SHELVES SURROUNDING THE WALLS AT WAIST LEVEL!! THERE ISN'T ENOUGH WALL SPACE TO DO THAT THOUGH. ME THINKS THIS WINTER IT IS TIME TO DECLUTTER ONCE AGAIN. BUT FOR TODAY, IT'S TIME WITH THE KIDS, FROZEN QUICHES, THE SEEKER MOVIE (BTW NOT 1/2 AS GOOD AS THE BOOK) AND AIR-POPPED POPCORN. I AM OFF TO EXERCISE TO KEEP WARM. SINCE THE TEMPS DROPPED 30 DEGREES I AM FREEZING!
HAPPY SATURDAY/SUNDAY

Last edited by MELODY525; 10-04-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #32  
Happy September

Ingredients
Serves 4
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 teaspoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped pitted Kalamata olives (about 5)
1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Creamy Polenta, for serving
Directions
Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium-low; add remaining teaspoon oil to skillet. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chickpeas and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes; cook over medium heat until starting to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Add olives, vinegar, and chicken along with any accumulated juices to pan; toss until warmed through, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley. Serve over polenta.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I hear the tornado sireen so that means it's noon. Ugh, half of my day gone.
I did talk to my sister that lives in Dallas this morning. I'm still planning on being at her house Christmas. I've emailed my sister that lives in Springfield, Mo to see if it's alright to come there for Thanksgiving. I need to get away from this area for a while.

Mel
The recipe sounds good.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #34  

Hello everyone, Ruth thanks for getting our Oct site started..... we are all hoping for a good month. Your weekend sounds busy. My Teeka is in her last hours and what an incredible little spirit she has to keep awake and be with me. She only weighs about 1.8 or so now. The sun came out and I sat with her to soak up some of the warmth she always liked the heat. She would be 14 yrs old in December. I will miss her and have been so blessed to have such a little soul in my life and family.
Mel, glad to hear the eyes are improving..you can't be trusted now with even paper products. Tsk tsk girl sneaking peaks at the construction workers that is good entertainment.
SHad you work so hard on your house I wish I had half the energy and imagination to do a few things around here.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend....
Peace,
Nae
Old 10-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #35  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,

'Nae - blessings to you and little Teeka. She is a good age for a little doggie. I hope she passes peacefully, I know she will have your love to take with her.

Mel - so good to have you back again, and some more recipes. We won't tell happy about that one since she will have a whinge about olives again! anyway, she is ignoring us this weekend. I might just be annoying and ring her and tell her to get back here!
A couple of posts ago you made a comment about someone who said that it was typical that the rest of the world only whinges when the US is in trouble financially. Not exactly true but it is understandable. Europe and the rest of the world have made some fairly far reaching warnings about what is now happening, however being 'little people' according to the the US Foreign policy, what would we know?? However to a certain extent the comment has truth, greed is everywhere.

Ceejay - sometimes one just has to get out of the place to appreciate what there is there. You have earned a break, go for it.
And yes I use a binder sealer coat - or two - on every wall and ceiling I have painted. Must of this problem has been caused by the fact that the original painter did not seal the plasterboard (drywall) before painting it originally. The water based original paint was thinned down with water which has affected the wallboard.

Well disaster struck on the bedroom wall yesterday and the paint peeled on a patch of wall about a foot in from the corner. I carefully peeled back to solid adherence of paint and the entire tape and plaster came away from the top of the wall to the bottom. There is now a large gouge in the wall. Nothing I can do about it but clean it up, sand, plaster and try again. This strip of wall will not be finished before the floor goes down. So I will be painting again after the floor goes down.
Oh yes and I bought myself a new toy yesterday. A compound mitre saw. Cuts all those angles for doors and mouldings. Practiced yesterday then created my first angles and put up some door architraves. Yahoo. Picture attached.
And that is about it for the day. Hope Saturday/ Sunday will be kind to us all wherever we are in this world. Do not forget - eat well, sweat well and all's well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New toy.JPG (24.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Shad; 10-04-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Cos I can't spell and I'm getting into the realms of politics - naughty me!
Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #36  

I know all my worldly Friends will say a prayer for my little girl...she passed away in my arms at 1:10pm. She was quite a little Warrior.....I will thank you all now for your thoughts and well wishes.
Peace,
Renae
Old 10-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #37  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Chit! Just did a long post - with personals, even - scrolled back and lost the darn thing. When will I learn?

Have to go soak in the tub before I go out so see y'all tomorrow. (Do I sound like Happy?)
Old 10-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #38  

Have fun Ruth - say hello to Sis and BIL for me.

Nae - big for you. Teeka had a good life with you - she travelled as much as Shad did. Keep well.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #39  
Happy September

CEEJAY IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR HOLIDAYS ARE GETTING ALL WRAPPED UP I NEED SOME PLANS TOO

NAE~ I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT TEEKA. I KNOW HOW CLOSE THE TWO OF YOU WERE. SHE HAD A GOOD LIFE WITH YOU AND KNEW LOVE.

SHAD~I WAS LAUGHING AT A PROGRAM...EVEN THE POLITICIANS MADE MONEY DURING THE GREEDY SEASON AND SOME REPORTERS ARE SAYING IS IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE MONEY GOING INTO THEIR ACCOUNTS THAT THE GOVT LET THIS GET SO OUT OF HAND. DOESN'T TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE OUT THAT ONE
LOVE THE NEW TOY...JUST WATCH WHERE YOUR HANDS ARE WHEN YOU CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUTH....HOPE YOU GOT DRESSED FIRST AND DIDN'T GO OUT WITH JUST BUBBLES ON

IT COULDN'T BE DARKER OUT IF IT WAS 8PM INSTEAD OF AM!! I WAS WONDERING WHY I WAS SOOO SLEEPY. PULLED THE CURTAINS BACK AND FOUND POURING RAIN. NASTY DAY. FOR SURE MOTHER NATURE IS LETTING US KNOW THIS IS REALLY FALL!
I HAVE WONDERFUL NEWS...DRUMROLL PLEASE....183!!!
AS I SEE THE SCALE GOING DOWN I LOOK AT IT IN DISBELIEF. SOMETIMES I TRY IT AGAIN 2 -3 TIMES. JEN JUST KEEPS LAUGHING AT ME OF COURSE. I AM WONDERING IF IT IS THE "LESS STRESS" THEORY. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON NOT TRYING TO CHANGE THE UNCHANGEABLE AND NOT "FIGHTING" ALL THE TIME. PICKING THE FIGHTS I KNOW I CAN WIN. GETTING RID OF THE OLD "BANGING THE HEAD AGAINST THE WALL" SYNDROME. I AM A HAPPIER PERSON TOO. AND A BIT MORE LIKE THE LAID BACK PERSON I WANTED TO BE.
SO.....ALL IS GOOD IN NJ!
HAPPY SUNDAY/MONDAY

TOMORROW IS PAINTER WOMAN'S BIRTHDAY SO I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE HER OUR GIFT EARLY!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAINTER. ENJOY YOUR DAY. BE CAREFUL BLOWING OUT THE CANDLES!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Painter Woman--
Where are you? Am I going to have to come and get you?
Happy birthday.

Mel
Stress can have an affect on weight gain and loss. That's one of the reason's I have such a difficult time of losing weight--stress. And there' more of it today. I'll be glad when they get well 5 back in order. I don't think they've even pulled it out of the ground yet. Ugghhh

I''m using my birthday for the 19th. I hope Bud is back by then. I've also been looking on line to see about airline tickets to go to Dallas,Tx for Christmas.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #41  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Just for the record, I was not ignoring you. I didn't and still don't feel very chatty.

Happy Birthday Painterwoman where ever you are these days.

Ceejay - I completely agree with you about the stress and weight gain. They say that stress increases the production of cortisol which contributes to the dangerous belly fat. A good reason to think twice before getting all worked up. Ceejay - why the interest in celery? It's more of a flavoring agent than anything else. Not much in the way of calories or nutrition with that one. Just like cucumbers. They bulk up the food but that's it.

Mel, I'm really glad to hear that the scale numbers are going down for you. I hate those cold rainy fall days. Really gives you the sleepy noddies.

Ruth - I really don't say y'all although I write it some time. I hate to say it but I guess I sound more like Sara Palin dropping the g's off ing ending words. Guess I need to work on my diction although people down here tell me I have a fun accent.

Rose - so sorry to hear about Teeka. She was very loved and sounded like she had a great life with you and now she's gone to the rainbow bridge to play with the other 3FC lost pups. I'm sure Hershey will look after her

Madcat - congrats on getting the ticker moving - you are doing very well!

Carla - what madness are you up to lately?

Hope you are feeling better Shy.

Ok, so Shad has her whinging about Mel's ticker and yes indeed, when I read Mel's latest recipe I did the about OLIVES yet again. I have tried alot of things but have not had occasion to use polenta yet.

Shad - thanks for the link on the 4 ingredients. But for those of us in the states, I think I'll use kraftfoods.com. You can plug in 3 ingredients that you have on hand and it will come up with some recipe suggestions. The problem with your website is not only the metric measurements but also the terms. Is beef mince what we would call hamburger or ground beef? I still remember my food lesson with you in the grocery store years ago. Amazing how we both speak English but call things completely different terms. I daresay you might have a mix of more British terms like crisps and chips. Although I do enjoy looking at the recipes for the exotic sounding ingredients and trying to figure out what some of them might be. Sounds like you are having quite the go round with the walls. I hope you get them fixed stopping short of having to replaster everything. Enjoy your new saw - those things scare me

Michelle - it sounds like the reaction you are having is also what some people experience with Niacin. DH took it once and never again. Although the fact that it clears up with Benedryl surely sounds like an allergic reaction. Could be wheat, soy, milk or whey protein or even eggs. When I was going to the allergist, he said our bodies sort of recycle every 7 years. That's why we "grow out of things" or all of a sudden develop a reaction to something that never bothered us before. I sure hope you don't have food allergies because that's so hard to monitor and occasionally you will see companies put out a warning that they forgot to list an ingredient on the box that will cause people problems. You might have to learn how to cook after all girl You could roast up a chicken (or get one of the rotisserie cooked ones from the grocery store) and make several meals out of that - chopped on a bed of salad greens, into a wrap with veggies and mustard or light dressing, made into chicken salad or just sliced up au natural with some fresh cut vegetables or even a side of the Birds Eye Healthy Brand frozen vegetables. Chicken Cacciatore is really easy to make - chicken, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, salt and pepper - serve it over rice and it makes several meals. Brown the chicken with a bit of oil and some chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Dump in a can of tomatoes - use the flavored ones with basil and oregano or garlic and onions. Add a large can of tomato sauce. Bring to bubbling and then reduce heat to simmer and cook for an hour. You can use chicken breasts tho I prefer the thinner chicken cutlets. This is good with chicken thighs too tho they aren't diet friendly.

Roast Beef - 1 eye of round roast. Wash, season with salt, pepper, onion salt. Put it in a cooking bag with about 1 cup of water. Stick it in a 300 degree oven for 4 hours. (This would be a weekend project). Slice it thinly and leave it in the au jus because otherwise it will dry out. The reason you cook it in such a low temp oven and for so long is to make sure it's tender. Mix in a jar of beef gravy if you like gravy and done. You can have meat and veggies or open faced hot beef sandwiches or if you're feeling sinful, chop it up over a baked potato.

And I have a bazillion soup recipes although soup takes more chopping and prep work and I don't know where you draw the line at "I hate cooking"

Well in the course of composing this I have walked away 3 times. The last time DH and I were discussing what to paint one of the upstairs bedrooms. There are alot of shadows on the wall and it really does change the colors depending on the overhead lights and which wall you are looking at. We must have tried 20 sample colors already. I had purchased some cream printed fabric Venetian Shades that have green leaves and roses in shades of light rose and dark rose. There are also tan and gold accents. After going round and round, DH put the curtains on the recliner in my Mom's room and it's a perfect match. However that is a deep maroon color and we were worried that it would be too dark. So we're going to put chair rail up 2/3 of the wall, paint the top half the dark color to pick up the shades, the chair rail white to match the woodwork and paint the bottom 2/3 of the wall a cream color with just enough "cream" to provide a slight contrast to the woodwork. I swear I never thought it would be so difficult to pick a paint color. But at least that's decided. DH wants to take a week of vacation in 2 weeks with the intention to get the painting done.

And I need to get on with things here too. I have spent far too much time at the computer today (which is why taking a break sometimes can be a good thing). I need to decide on a desert to make for our neighborhood cookout on Tuesday, have groceries to pick up and I need to get to bed early tonight as we will have to leave by 7:00am to get to the hospital on time. Oh and I also have to stop at the pharmacy to pick up those all important Valiums. I am trying to stay optomistic about this although it is difficult because no amount of ice, heat, anti inflamatory - over the counter or prescription is doing a diddly bit of good for the pain. To me, that doesn't sound like something easily fixed. But we'll see.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #42  

Morning all,
Quick fly by because I still haven't completed the bedroom yet. The man is due here in a little over 3 hours and I hope for once in my life that he is late or even better can't make it until tomorrow. I spent a long time cleaning up the hall and the rest of the house last night before I showered and fell into bed. I am sorely in need of a little rest but can't do that until he gets here and even then I will be trying to put things together one step ahead of him. Yesterday I finished all the trim in the hall but was too tired to actually paint it so that's my next job - one thin coat of semi gloss on the trims. The bedroom has still to have one coat of top coat paint on one wall and of course the plaster has to be sanded. That's my second job and the skirting has to go on on wall and thanks to my stupidity with the new toy yesterday (smacks forehead with hand) I need to go buy some more. I will not finish the painting but at least I will have the trim done. Then a thorough clean of the bedroom and we are good to go.

Happy good to see you back and yes minced beef is ground beef - 1 pound (1lb) is 454g - 1kg is 1000g and just over 2lbs. One ounce is 25g but.... that ounce depends on where you live. One ounce in Holland is different from one ounce in Australia and they are both metric countries so why we refer to ounces heaven knows.

Mel - pull your head in from the window. That's not rain, that's drool from all the ladies hanging out the window ogling the builders.

Okay - gotta run and get dressed for another day at the office. Not long to Dampier and I am actually beginning to look forward to it. It will be a rest if nothing else. Someone remind me to pack my notebook this time please. I'll be back to check up on you all later.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #43  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi Girls....

Sorry I have been MIA. Life has taken a bad turn for me. I lost my great job and have been in the pits. I am now searching for another great job in hopes of finding something before I lose everything.

I love you all and will check in later.

Love and Hugs

Annie
Old 10-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #44  

Oh Annie, I am so sorry to hear about your job. It is so hard these days to find a job you feel good about and safe in, then the darned stockmarket takes a dump and good people lose their livelihoods. I hope you find something soon.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #45  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Oh Annie - I'm so sorry for you Is it because of the financial mess right now? Very, very scary. None of us feel safe anymore. Try and keep a positive outlook although I know it's really hard. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way - any and everything that will work!

And Shad, you usually work like the possessed so if you are behind, I can only imagine the amount of work you must have undertaken. Crossing my fingers that the floor man (I assume) has a change of plans to tomorrow.

I'm off the finish the dishes and get to bed. Night all.
Closed Thread