S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy birthday Hollyhock.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #17  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Continuing my spending spree...

Lots of nice vegetables, some peaches and a watermelon from the Farmer's Market this morning...

Passport application (in case we decide to take that Rocky Mountaineer train trip through Canada)...

And we joined a gym Hear me, I said WE We were coming back from the Farmer's Market and I asked him to stop at the nearby Athletic Club. We took a brief tour and got some info. At first DH wasn't interested in joining but in the end I wanted to join and he said he would come with me

It will mean getting up at 5am to get to the club early but I've done it before and it's way easier to go first thing in the morning than to find the energy to go after work. They have early, early morning classes and some evening ones too. I would like to do the Sunrise Yoga class. And try the eliptical without keeling over.

It's a month to month membership so DH can drop out later if he wants to. The biggest hole in my fitness plan has been exercising so I figured if I shell out the money, I will go. And I'm putting great stock Michelle in the fact that former exercise avoiders will see the light and become exercise junkies

They have an indoor and outdoor pool which is good. All the little monsters, um I mean kiddies will be in the outdoor pool, leaving the indoor one available for laps. And they reserve from 5am to 10am for people wanting to do lap lanes. They have lots of equipment, much of it new - machines, cardio, weights and the like. Enough to keep me busy. There is also a Pilates studio (with actual reformers) for an extra fee as well as personal trainers. I'm kind of excited. Gotta go find my gym bag now. Catch you later...

Last edited by happy2bme; 08-02-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #18  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I was hoping my first August post would be upbeat but....

I am home from an overnight visit to Ottawa and dealing with a traumatized wee Disney! She met Shirleyanne's Bella a couple of weeks ago and things were OK after an initial growl from B.

This time though, Bella viciously attacked her the minute she got out of the car with me. What a Beetch a dog! !She is supposed to be mainly Lab but has that slightly "Pit Bull" look to her that Shirleyanne was trying to say was Boxer.) Anyhow poor wee Disney's head was in B's mouth and she was lifted off the ground and shaken several times. Andrea and Shirley had a heck of a time trying to get her off my baby. Disney was nearly OK except for a bloodshot eye and a bleeding nick out of her ear. Hershey was still in the car which is just as well or Bella might have been dead. Hersh protects her own!

As it is, B. is now in a muzzle and S. is probably going to have her euthanized this week. Shirl, Andrea and I had a good cry after the event and I learned this wasn't the first time Bella behaved like that! Bella spent the rest of the visit in the basement and Disney spent most of her time Velcroed to me. Very scary to see your dog's head in a big dogs jaws! We didn't cut the visit short but I'm glad to be home safe.

Now I've met some "nice" pit bulls but the damned critters were bred to fight and kill. Something set Bella off. It may be that Disney was small as she did something similar to a Jack Russel a few months ago.

I'm rather upset and so is my old friend Shirleyanne. Andrea, her daughter and my god daughter, is a dog trainer in Toronto and was absolutely horrified.
"Gimme a gun!" was her comment before we all started to cry.

Sorry for the bummer post. I've only had my wee pooch eight weeks and was darn sure she was going to die yesterday. I'm sure we'll all feel better tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #19  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Have a nice big scotch Ruth, no ice and no bubbles. It's the additives that affect you. Poor little Disney. Maybe a small scotch for her too?

I'm making this short because I have a plane to catch and I will have to rouse the DS2 shortly so we can get on the road.

Weight = 79.9 this morning, so by the end of the month, I want to see 77.9. To think that a year ago I saw 72.9. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

That woman's ticker is still there. It's like when you have a hole in a tooth - you are drawn to the spot.

So I had better go finish the packing. I'm packing some spare clothes into the carry on bag this time. Last trip, one of ladies checked bag went missing. When she got it back, it had been opened and she had an extra pair of socks. No sign of the man, only the socks. So she gathered all the paperwork together and when she got back to Aus she asked the customs officers to go all over it, take it to pieces etc., and they found a small package in the handle. Warning to all travellers, if your bag goes missing, carry the proof around with you. Mind you, we should all travel with an itemised list of stuff in the suitcase since it is very hard to tell in the heat of the moment whether anything has been included or excluded after your luggage has been searched. I have to because I am carrying a first aid kit given to me by the company which contains needles and medication for the days I step off into the wilds of Borneo or wherever. I wave ithe list at customs and declare kit every time I go through, their eyes glaze over but if I didn't, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on when they x-ray the bags.

Happy - well done on joining the gym. I'm proud of you. Do you have an invisible sign outside the door that states that waifs and strays are welcome here???

Mel - you obviously have 'compassionate person (except for Christmas) tattooed onto your forehead. All the NJ waifs and strays recognise it.

Okay - out of time. Gotta go. I'll be back when I have time in an airport to log on - probably Sydney later this morning. See ya
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #20  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

by The Viking Cooking School
Viking Chef Chris Green puts the Ruby Red grapefruits from Mission, Texas, to work in this recipe for Grapefruit Sorbet.

Servings: 4
Ingredients:
2 large ruby grapefruits, juiced, or 1 1/2 cups pink grapefruit juice
1 tsp. grapefruit zest (zest before juicing grapefruit)
1/2 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tbs. vodka
1 tsp. grenadine (optional)

Instructions: Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Cool completely.

Combine the grapefruit juice, zest and sugar/water mixture with the vodka and optional grenadine (for color) in a metal bowl. Chill in the refrigerator or by placing the metal bowl over a larger bowl filled with ice water until 40 degrees.

Pour chilled mixture into the container of an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.

Scoop frozen sorbet into a container. Seal and transfer container to freezer for several hours to allow sorbet to firm up. (Sorbet can be kept frozen for up to 3 days.)

BYE SHADDIE!! SAFE TRIP! WE WILL MISS YOU!!

RUTH WTF!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!! PITS ARE PITS AND THERE IS NO BULL ABOUT IT. SO SORRY FOR BOTH OF YOU. HORRIFIED TO EVEN THINK OF IT!!

HAPPY...I AM HAPPY TO HEAR YOUR NEWS!! GOOD FOR BOTH OF YOU!! ENJOY THE GYM AND GETTING READY FOR THE NEW ADVENTURE!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #21  
Come on Spring!

Thanks, Mel,! I Am Sipping My Scotch Per Dr. Shad's Recommendation And Am Going Make That Tomato And Fennel Roast Thingie And Think Of You. I'm Sure A Good Sleep Will Make Things Better In The Morning.
(by The Way, Are Caps Easier On Your Poor stressed Eyeballs?)
Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #22  
Come on Spring!

TEST it - stupid system override!
GUESS I'M STUCK FOR A BIT.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Hugs Ruth. What an ordeal you had to go through.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #24  
Choose your hard

OMG Ruth - how horrifying! Poor Disney, poor you. I can't imagine anything more frightening. Hope the poor pup will be ok. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

That's an interesting point about the luggage Shad and them stowing things in your stuff. There was a point in time when we could not lock our luggage. I think they have lifted that now with the caveot that if they thought it was suspicious, they could open your luggage with any means. Like most, we wondered about them taking things out - not putting things IN. And your emergency kit of needles sounds none too exciting either I reiterate being glad you are the one travelling and not me. I can live without seeing Borneo, thank you kindly.

Just checked in for a minute. Good night all...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #25  
Happy September

RUTH...CAPS ARE NICE THANKS BUT NOT EVERYONE LIKES THEM HOPE THE NIGHT WENT WELL AND TODAY DISNEY WILL FEEL BETTER...YOU ALSO VIOLENCE OF ANY KIND SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME!
AND I MUST SAY, RUTH, I LOVE THE SIGGIE QUOTE. WISH MORE PEOPLE THOUGHT THAT WAY! HAPPY COOKING

SHAD....IMAGINE WHAT THEY COULD STOW IN MY CHAIR! THEY CAUGHT A DISABLED MAN WITH A TON OF COCAINE INSIDE THE STEEL TUBING FRAME OF A FOLDING WHEELCHAIR MANY YEARS AGO. SEEMS LIKE HE WAS "WORKING" FOR YEARS THAT WAY YOUR SIGGIE MADE ME LAUGH..BUT IS IT FUNNY TO YOU?

HAPPY....NICE TO SEE YOU DROP IN AGAIN. AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP SO LATE EVERY NIGHT ????

WE HAD SOME WICKED STORMS YESTERDAY AND I THREW OPEN THE WINDOW FOR THE RUSH OF COOL AIR....15 MINUTES LATER THAT GORGEOUS BREEZE WAS GONE WHAT WAS I THINKING?
YESTERDAY WAS QUIET. ONLY SMOKE ALARMS AND NOTHING SERIOUS. I FORGOT TO SAY THE WEIGH-IN FOR THE END OF JULY WAS THE SAME 187. BUT THAT WON'T LAST. I AM BOUNCING AROUND THE 180'S ALL THE TIME. I HAVE LOST INTEREST IN THE SCALE. MAYBE ONCE AND AWHILE I WILL DUST IT OFF
HAVE A GREAT DAY. HAPPY SUNDAY/MONDAY

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-03-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #26  
Choose your hard

Hi kids,

It looks like it's going to be a cooker again outside. Even at 7 the heat just surrounds you. Ugh. I have to water the flower beds to loosen the soil so I can pull the weeds easier. Might just put the hose out on light spray and sit under it myself. Gotta remember NOT to wear the white T-shirt tho while doing that

Mel I was up late because I was loading DH's IPOD with his blues tunes. He lost his disk drive a while back and with it lost alot of his pretty butterfly shots as well as his music. So I was being the nice wifey and reloading it for him. You volunteer to do this then once you get into it realize how much work you've sign up for

On the agenda today... weed pulling, laundry, groceries, maybe a pedicure and some light cleaning. Sounds like a busy day, I'm tired already. And I need to plan my gym routine tomorrow so that when I get up at the ungodly hour of 5, my gym bag is packed and ready, I have locker locks and we are ready to get out the door by 5:20ish.

Happy Sunday ladies, stay out of trouble.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #27  
Happy September

A RECIPE FOR AROMATHERAPY

1. Use our heart or butterfly templates, or make your own pattern. Graph paper is good for creating a grid design (such as the one shown at top left). Working on a cutting mat or piece of felt, lay your template over an envelope.

2. With a thick pin, punch holes through the template and envelope until the dotted design is complete.

3. Fill the envelope with blends of scented ingredients. We like the following combinations: cedar tips, cedar shavings, and lavender; orange tea and dried roses; and lemon verbena, chamomile and dried lemon peel. (Vary the amount depending on the envelope size; we used 1 tablespoon in the gift-card envelope.)

4. With a glue stick, seal the envelope.

5. Poke whimsical designs in your paper envelopes, then add your choice of aromatic blends.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #28  
Happy September

SOMEHOW I MISSED A WHOLE BUNCH OF POSTS....

CEEJAY...THEY DON'T KNW WHY THEY ARE UP SO HIGH. USUALLY IT DENOTES A TENDENCY TOWARDS DIABETES BUT NOT SO FAR. SOMEHOW MY BODY IS HOLDING ON TO ALL CARBS/SUGARS SINCE I LOST THE WEIGHT. YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD GET BETTER RIGHT?? HOPE THE WEEK IS NOT TOO STRESSFUL!!

HAPPY...GO AHEAD AND WEAR THE WITHE T-SHIRT AND SHOCK THE SOUTHERN BELLES RIGHT OUT OF THEIR MINT JULEP FOG!!! I CAN JUST SEE IT NOW!!
YOU'RE SUCH A GOOD WIFEY LOADING THOSE TUNES!
I HAVE YET TO FIND THE OFFENDING SIGNATURE CULPRIT BUT I AM SURE I AM ON THE RIGHT TRAIL!

HOLLY...NOW I FORGET WHAT YOU SAID ON THE OTHER PAGE...BUT YOU'RE WEKLCOME

I WENT OUT AND CAME RIGHT BACK INSIDE. TOO MUCH FOR ME TODAY. I WILL CLEAN THE WHEELCHAIRS AND POLISH THEM UP AND CALL THE REPAIR SHOP IN THE MORNING. GUESS I POSTPONED IT LONG ENOUGH.....TWO CHAIRS ARE GROANING!!

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-03-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #29  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Sunday chicks --

I hope you all are enjoying your weekends. DH and I went to State Fair yesterday and had a great time looking at all the animals and enjoying the gorgeous weather. Today we had a relaxing day outside in the yard.

I have awesome news ladies! I saw the doc on Friday, and he was happy to inform me that I no longer have diabetes. He said I was borderline diabetic and caught it early, which was good. Anyway, my blood sugar is well within normal levels and he's so pleased that I was able to accomplish this with diet and exercise alone. He still wants me to check my blood sugar every 2 or 3 days and continue eating healthy and exercising so that I will continue to lose weight and lower my cholesterol and triglycerides...which are my next areas of focus. I'm so thrilled!! The name of the new thread mentions achievement, and this is a big achievement for me!

Annie - Sounds like you had a really nice Friday! I'm glad your migraine went away. Hope your mom's foot gets better soon. I hope you had a blast on your girls night out.

Happy - I'm sure you'll go great at managing your pre-diabetes. Don't be afraid....it is a disease that can be treated and managed and, in my case, reversed (even though I will always have to be aware that I am prone to high blood sugar levels). My goodness you really did go on a shopping spree. DH and I went on a spending spree of sorts at the Fair. We went to the building where all the vendors are selling stuff. We bought some cleaner that comes in liquid and paste that is supposed to clean everything and remove even tough stains and pet odors - worth a try. Then we got these big circular lids that can create a vacuum seal with just about any bowl or plastic container. And we picked up a set of 400 thread count sheets for $20 (king size). We had bought a set last year and just love them. They are so soft and silky. Good for you for getting your passport. DH and I just got ours. DH might be going to England for work next week (wish we could afford for me to go with him). And awesome news that you joined a gym!! I love working out at the gym much more than at home. There are so many distractions and things that need to get done at home. I applaud you for getting to the gym before work. I get up by 5:30 and go into work early....so working out in the evening works better for me. I'm so proud of you for committing to your exercise program! Hopefully, you'll find like I did that you feel much better by exercising regularly...and it will DEFINITELY help your blood sugar and help your body utilize your insulin more efficiently.

Mel - You really do have lots of excitement. All those people you take such good care of and look out. Make sure you take time to put yourself first now and then, okay? I hadn't thought about drinking Ensure when I am sick. Probably not a bad idea. I've never tried it though. My tummy was back to normal for many days...but today it reminded me that it's not 100%! My triglycerides are about 170...but my doc wants them under 150. He's increasing my cholesterol meds to lower my bad cholesterol and my triglycerides, and he's putting me on prescription strength Niacin (Vit. B6) and suggesting that I also take 1000mg of Fish Oil a day to help increase my good cholesterol (as exercise alone isn't increasing it enough). Good for you for taking the wheelchairs into the repair shop!

Ceejay - good for you for logging your food. I find that really helps. Especially now when I have to save my food logs to show to my nutritionist!

Holly - I hope the Neti pot helps you. I know several people who just swear by Neti pots because they help so much.

Ruth - Oh my gosh! Poor Disney!! Sad that your friend has to euthanize her dog. Shame that the dog is so vicious. Not all pit bulls are vicious - a friend of ours has one that is totally loving, but you are correct that they are bred to be aggressive. I'm glad Disney is okay.

Shad - I hope your flight to JK was okay and that your time there is productive and for the most part pleasant. Smart of you to pack extra clothes in a carry on. I've lost my luggage and it was a royal pain in the arse to get it back.

well, I've got to get the rest of my sunday work done before relaxing for the evening.

Love and hugs to all,
Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #30  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,

Holy heck - we have a list of achievements and it is only the third of August.

Michelle -

AWESOME LADY
WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT

Happy is on the way to gym - that's awesome too.

And my go advanced has advanced and gone, so I can't read the other posts.

Hope Disney is doing well Ruth. Was the scotch good??

And I'd better go and do some work or I'll be in the pooh later on in the week. I'll be back for personals later.

Last edited by Shad; 08-03-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Closed Thread