Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What's your favorite type of citrus fruit to eat or use?
Lemon 2 8.33%
Lime 3 12.50%
Orange 9 37.50%
Tangerine 3 12.50%
Tangelo 3 12.50%
Grapefruit 3 12.50%
Ugli Fruit 1 4.17%
Kumquat 0 0%
Other 0 0%
I don't / can't eat citrus 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #76  

Sorry yesterday's post was cut short, I really wasn't feeling very good and just couldn't stand to be sitting in front of the computer to read and post. I saw my PT yesterday who is concerned that my RSD is in a flared state and needs to be controlled, she is having her office try to get WC to approve some pool therapy. Cross your fingers!

My little guy is on 3 different types of meds just to control his allergies, poor thing, Dr. says he'll probably end up napping a lot for the next few days. He looks better this morning so I'm hoping it will work fairly quickly and we can ween him off at least the one that makes him so sleepy all the time.

I was reading a brief tip from one of my emails about the new low carb craze in the food industry. I think I need a lesson in sugar alcohols, I checked my SB book but it doesn't say much. I don't want to sabatoge myself by eating foods I think are ok, but really aren't. Any input?

Beth: You reminded me that I haven't been drinking ALL of my water lately! Congratulations on the loss and not eating the pizza and cake!

HeartMom: Congratulations on getting your license! Isn't it great to see how much you have changed even if the photo isn't your best! I remember when I first lost my weight I had my work ID changed and I really could see the difference!

vmoore: Congratulations on breaking into the 180's! You're doing great, keep up the good work!

Jack-K: Out walking, wow! Glad you are feeling so good. When it rains it pours, I hope the Dr. can see your DH right away! My prayers for both of you. By the way, if I haven't mentioned it - I read your signature everytime and it says a lot to me, thank you.

Suzy: I totally know what you mean! You have come way to far to allow yourself to slip, I'm glad you're looking for SB ways to come out ofyour boredem. My empathy comes from experience, when I was very close to reaching my goal in 2001, I allowed myself the "ocassional" sweet because I thought that I could handle it since I'd lost my weight, it turned into the perverbial snowball syndrome and I gained and gained until I restarted SB about a month ago with a 20lb gain! It's a mental thing for me, I keep some of Deb's MMs around to remind me that I'm on the right path. Also, for me it's really important to remember it's a way of life, NOT a diet. One thing I really struggle with is meal planning, I don't know where to begin, so I seem to stare at the fridge and end up with the constant tuna or salmon from a can. Would you offer any ideas to get started?

BOB: Sorry your still feeling awful! I hope the meds do the trick!

SEF: YEAH! Congratulations on losing the inches! Isn't it fun to fit into the clothes you haven't worn for awhile!

Teensybean: You really have done an incredible job with your weightloss, I know you can lose those last pesky pounds! Your Thrift shopping trip sounded fun! My sister lives in Tacoma and since I've never been there (hopefully I can go soon) don't know where she shops, but she gets some awesome deals too!

GatorGal: I'm glad their letting you have veggies again. I hope you really get to feeling better soon!

Pancho: Congratulations on your test! If you don't mind me asking, what class(es) are you taking? Thanks for the carb input, I drink 2% and use splenda, another cuprit maybe. But I think you're right, the 1st thing to do is add in veggies, which I bought at the store last night and more water. Thanks again. By the way, I think we might be the only west coasters...I'm originally from AZ, a lot of my family still lives there.

Yellowrose: Glad to hear your blood tests are showing that your health is improving. Deb's always said that's what the SB lifestyle is all about - proofs in the (sf) pudding!

Country: You have done so well, don't beat yourself up! It will come off in time.

Cheryl: Haven't heard from you in awhile, hope everything is ok and that your daughter is getting better.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #77  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!

The BOSS sent me home. AND the DR called in another script for me to take! This one was only $10...I swear, I'll be totally medicated this weekend...I better get out and get some good movies to watch!

HERE'S SOME GOOD NEWS FOR ONCE....we have rescued a 1yr old TACO BELL DOG (sorry, can't spell the breed) Her name is YaYa, she's solid black and weighs 1 1/2 lbs! She's so tiny, but very glad to be with us! She sleep with me in the crook of my arm pit! She came from a home with three little children and they terrorized her, so being in a docile home is new to her! I have to get her fixed, but she's healthy and loves to be held and loved. Loves the outdoors and sprints like a deer!

JACKIE...sorry to hear about DH, I'm glad you're getting this taken care of right away. The actual surgery is not a bad one, but he will be sore afterward..and I mean sore! If y'all have to have bad luck, it's better to get it over with all at once! I'll keep my good thoughts and prayers coming your way!

GATOR...thanks for the info on the antibiotics...after all I've had to take (three weeks already, and now ten more days) I'll need to get my system back in working order. Glad you had a good meal after all this time...did your system handle the veggies ok?

LARA...I better be feeling better soon after paying out all this $$$$$ THANKS for the well wishes!

VMOORE...I saw an ad for the LOW CARB YOGURT..have you tried that yet?
I love yogurt, any way you serve it, so I'm going to try and find this and try it. I've seen the milk, but haven't bought any yet.

NAT...Poor BRITT...I hope she feels better soon, she's to young to have to go through all of this. Keep us posted. Glad you got your AB SISSORS...you should see results pretty soon....

TRISH...RAISE ONE FOR ME AT MISSY'S....I'm sorry I won't be there, but now that I've gotten sick again, I can't imagine what I would have done if this had hit me on the road (which it would have) Have a good time!

COLLEEN...This is my second..no third round of meds...if this doesn't do it, I don't know where we'll go from here! I hate to think about the thoughts of going to an ENT...

SUZY...we're on the same wave length on the election...I'm afraid that SUSAN and GATOR don't and wont agree.

Well, I think I've hit everyone. I'm going to bed!

BOB

Last edited by THE BIG ORANGE BABE; 04-26-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #78  

BOB-Girl, we'll probably raise several to everybody, LOL. I think Missy and I could be dangerous and Shirley, well she's clearly gonna be out of control, teehee! Just a quick thought on your sinus infection. I had the best doctor before he retired, in addition to being an MD, he also had a Ph.D. in anatomy and physiology. He always did his own cultures and made you come out and look to see what was growing. Anyhoo, he said that the sinuses are the most inefficient part of the body. They actually kind of lay flat so that on their best days they don't drain well. Then you add to that the dark warm damp environment that is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. It's absolutely one of the hardest types of infections to get rid of. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Trish
Old 02-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #79  

Default Afternoon . . .

Hey all - Finally got off my well-known and did something today! The boys and I went to Walmart (always an experience) and the kids got the Buttery Soft animals - Walmart's version of Build-A-Bear - and then we went to the library. I also managed to clean the house today too - so I'm feeling really good about myself since I could very easily have laid on the couch all day reading or watching the boob tube. This vacation has actually been good for us b/c we really needed a few "free" days - days where we didn't even leave the house.

The amazing thing for me, actually, is the fact that I've been home all week and have managed not to grab the occasional "treat" here and the illegal food there - 3rd day in a row of 100% OP - can't remember if I was totally good on Monday or not. Today I have had 2 oranges, coffee and one piece of sgww toast with natural pb for breakfast, lunch was a yogurt, cheese and a cup of my homemade chicken soup (minus the rice b/c I want my other carb for dinner!), snack was some peanuts and I'm thinking about some legal hot chocolate right about now. Dinner - my favorite - will be homemade pizza on a ww tortilla with garlic, tomatoes and cheese! So - who knows, I realize now that I am definetly at a plataeu with my weight, but I'm hanging in there and as so many of you reminded me yesterday - this isn't a diet - it is a woe, so I really have no choice but to hang in there. However, I figure if I am still the same weight come Easter, I may pull a totally non-legal weekend and eat whatever I choose and perhaps jump start my metabolism (as Pancho mentioned). However, I thought I had tried that at Xmas and ended up gaining 2 pounds! Who knows - I won't plan anything drastic just yet . . .

JACKK - Sorry to hear about your DH! Luckily for you to have a friend who is a doctor. Keep us updated on his progress - and we'll keep you both in our prayers.

BOB - Home again? Good for you! Unfortunately it stinks that you are sick! Haven't seen any real good movies lately to recommend to you except I saw Miracle in the theaters this past weekend. It was good - a real good family movie. How about reading? Do you enjoy it at all? I have a lot of good books I could recommend if that was the case . . . As far as the upcoming election - it looks like my first choice will be the democratic candidate - which makes me happy. I like Kerry b/c when my husband's company was on strike a few years ago, he and his wife came down and walked the picket line with the guys, tried assisting with the negotiations and hung around until a settlement was reached. I know it could have all been for the publicity, but something about that has always stuck with me and I just plain and simple like him. And it is okay if people aren't on "our" page - that is why we live in America - everyone can have their own opinion. Mine is just always right - just kidding!!!!!! Congrats on YaYa - she has a great new Mommy!

IBLOND - I wish I could give you some new "meal" suggestions! As you can see from above, my menu is basically the same. The homemade soup is good though b/c frankly you can make it legal and it does fill you up. It is also great for quick fixes when your schedule doesn't permit a lot of time in the kitchen. You and I sound alike when it comes to dieting. It is a good thing I stepped on the scale yesterday b/c I could so easily see myself "rewarding my weight loss" all week with non-legal goodies! If I come up with any good meal ideas, I'll let you know . . .

VMOORE - Thanks for the suggestion of the "whip cream". I'm always looking for something sweet to try!

PANCHO - Let me know how that ab scissor thing works after you have had a chance to try it for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I think my "ab" problem will not cure itself w/o medical treatment! I have had two c-sections and have what is called the "fold" over my scar. I do every kind of ab exercise and although I can see it working on my upper abs, my lower abs are shot to ****. My DH says that since I have started SB, he can see that it has shrunk, which I know it has from my clothes. But I am afraid that the "fold" will be there forever . . .

TEENSY - First, let me say that I'm sorry I didn't mention your BIG VD gift before! I meant too, but got too caught up in replying to this one and that one that I didn't remember it until I just read your other post! Congrats! Isn't that so exciting????? My DH is like that too - we never exchange really big gifts for any occasion (even Xmas is like limited to $150.00 or so), but twice he has surprised me with new rings. Mind you, I handle the money in the house so any chance for him to ever splurge is limited b/c of access to funds! One was a new setting for my diamond, which he gave me for my 30th birthday. He managed to get the ring by selling his Ryder Cup tickets for big money (wasn't aware that golf tickets were so demanding) and the other was a diamond band a few years later, (for our 10th anniversary) which he managed by hitting a $500.00 scratch ticket. So, even though every day isn't decorated with flowers and gifts, when it happens it seems so extra special! Congrats again - you deserve it!

Okay - I'll check in later. Think I'll read for a while . . .

SUZYB
Old 02-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Thought I would check in while waiting for DH to get home.

LUckily we got an appt for him tomorrow at 10:30 and I have one at 9:00 in the same building. Something going our way.

Today I received 2 fruit baskets. Something legal to eat Yeah!

IDblond, hope you get that PT you need and your DS feels better soon. I got my signature off a church sign. It really hit me too.

Bob, Girl, I hope all those meds work well with one another. How sweet you rescued that doggie. He will love the home you can give him. How is Kate taking the new arrival?

Suzy, good for you getting off that couch and getting something accomplished. Good job not cheating too!. It will all come off, just give it time.

Have a great night. I willcheck in tomorrow after lunch.

Jackie
Old 02-19-2004, 06:25 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey guys, getting ready for exercise class. I'm doing good with staying on track, but my portions are huge. Anyway, I took my measurements this AM. The last time I took them was a month ago. I also still weigh the same as I did this time last month(169). I lost around 3 inches though. FINALLY my thighs moved! Man, it's been since October. I lost a whole inch in my lower thigh and 1/2 inch in my upper thigh. And I think I lost 1/2 inch in my hips and 1/4 inch or so in my stomach. Everything else is still the same. Speaking of stomachs- mine has to be the worst! Two ceseareans and almost 110 pound weight loss have taken a toll on my abs. Stretch marks and flab, what a beautiful site. But I know that I exercise regularly and that's all I can do. At least I look alright in clothes,lol. Supper will be late tonight. We're going out to eat when I get thru exercising. I usually don't get home until 7:20 and I'll need to change and freshen up. My hair will be all sweaty, so I'll throw a hat on,lol. Ashley seems to be alot better today. Joseph and I are just snot-nosed. And my eyes are bothering me. But other than that, I think we are all on the mend. Gotta go, the aerobics instructor just called...
Old 02-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #82  

Wink

Goodevening....Im fixing to take a shower and get in comfy clothes. Its my night of tv...survivor, csi and ER. I made a big batch of tuna for dinner. Everyone here knows not to mess with me on this night..lol

Heart- congrats on the inches!!! That is sooo much better than the pounds. I wish i would of measured my self. Maybe i still will.

Suzy- wtg staying on plan!!!! Your past the hardest part now.

Bob- Yeah i have tried the carb smart yogurt..peach is nasty but rasberry was ok. Im not big on yogurt but its something different now and then. With all the antibiotics your taking i hope your eating plenty of yogurt. It helps fight off those nasty yeast infections. I usually ask dr. for a Diflucan if i need antibiotics. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Jack- I dont think i have ever seen someone recuperate as fast as you!! You are absolutely amazing.

Ok here it is....I ate a piece of chocolate today!!!! I could kick myself in the ars for it, but atleast i stopped there. I had to confess. I know I am stronger than chocolate!!!!!!!! I am woman!!!

well, time for me to get ready for the boob tube..lol
Have a great night.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #83  

Home and ready for Survivor tonight - I had a yummy snack, though a bit salty - was Rondele's Pub Cheese with WW Pretzels from the Health Food Store - now I will be sorry and swell up....

JackK - Do you use something funny for your Bunco - when we shouted bunco you got to take whatever the bunco guy was - always something risque...of course, $$$ hahahaha....sounds like you are doing great!

BOB - sorry to hear you are so sick BUT CONGRATS ON THE NEW PUP!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you got a new pupper to take care of - they always bring such joy!!!!

Congrats to all those who lost yesterday!

Work picked up - three weeks till my vacation - going to the doctor in less than a week and will know how much weight I have lost this month - hoping it is a good weigh in!!!!

Bought Honey Tangerines at Fresh Market the other day - they were like eating candy and very very juicy! I want more!!!!!

TTFN, Sabrina
Old 02-19-2004, 07:32 PM   #84  

Hey all, hope your day is going super!!

Not much doing today. We went over to my Mom's so dh could do some repair work for her. Her chimney pipe in the shop needed some work done to it. I am getting hungry so this will be short. Will get back this evening.....

Gator-- That is very interesting.....I think I had read somewhere, about eating yogurt (the live cultures) after taking antibiotics. Must be about the same thing?? I didn't reply to any of the emails when the board was down. But I too am getting the message about my mail being undeliverable, and do not know the address or persons to whom it is supposed to be going to. Hummm??

Trish-- Sausage and kraut sounds great....think I will do some for lunch tomorrow!! I use the venison links we had made because they are very lean.

Pancho-- Hmmm, I had heard that the abs were one muscle that you could work everyday. I do mine 5 days a week. Interesting....

Jack-k-- Those same friends just might do that!! I have heard of many doing it!! Praying for dh. Please let us know his progress.

V-- That homemade whipped topping sounds interesting.....care to share the recipe??

Id-- Hey, I am a west coastie!! The way I understand the concept of the sugar alcohol is that it isn't SUPPOSED to cause an insulin spike the way that sugar does, and that it is NOT digested (like fiber). Therefore, if you eat too much of it, it has a laxitive affect. Use with caution!! I use it occasionally, and don't have too much trouble if I exercise that caution.

BOB-- I was so tickled to hear about your new friend.She sounds like a little doll. She is probably in seventh heaven being there with you and Kate. Wow, third round of meds??? Maybe you have become immune to the antibiotics?? They say that it can happen.

Suzy-- You are doing great this week. Glad you had a chance to get out and enjoy the day with your boys. Isn't it amazing how those dh's can totally do something so out of character. I think they do it just to keep us guessing .My dh bought me a lot of jewerly when we were dating, and when we first got married. This is the first in many years. And I absolutely love it!!

Laurie-- Congrats on all the inches lost. You will be into new sizes!! I hear you on the loose skin. It is so gross!! I have alot of it on my stomach and thighs. My legs have always been a problem area. They are now jiggly with lots of extra skin instead of just cellulite!! Not a great visual is it?? I keep exercising too, trying to do what I can, but...... who knows!!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:55 PM   #85  

I am finishing my packing after kicking out several items....my daughter and I have been adding new purchases so decisions need to be made. I have plenty of choices. Anyway, I will be on the road and not be able to check in so I wanted to wish all of you a great weekend and we will be thinking about you.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #86  
Little Engine That Could

All you gooing to Fruit's, drive carefully. And have a great time.

BOB--The veggies are doing my system just fine. I'm feeling great and happy as a clam. Dinner tonight: great northern beans with sausage. Probably not great for SB, but I didn't have a ton of them.

Teensy--For the acidophilus I take capsules, one in the morning and one before dinner. They have a ton more bacteria than yogurt. You'd have to eat gallons of yogurt to get the same amount, so the capsules are easier for me. I got them at the HFS.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:13 PM   #87  

Angry

TV night was good. Im about ready to call it a night but thought i would check in.

Teensy- I got the recipe off of the board but here it is:

FAT-FREE, SUGAR-FREE "COOL WHIP"

1/2 CUP DRY NONFAT MILK
1/3 CUP OF COLD WATER
VANILLA EXTRACT
PACKET OF SWEETENER OF CHOICE

mix milk and water then put in fridge to chill for 2 hours. chill beaters too. Then beat with electric mixer until it forms peaks. Then add 1 tsp of vanilla ( or other extract); then beat again. then add sugar substitute to taste. then beat again and refrigerate until you use it.

use like cool whip or you may freeze it and it tastes like vanilla ice cream

I enjoy it on jello and frozen. I hope you enjoy
Old 02-20-2004, 12:02 AM   #88  
sef

HiedeeHo All!

Went to NH and entertained at another (we were great, I think after being with them a few months I may be getting the hang of it!). Did some wrapping. And poof the day was gone! The drummer from the Joyful Noise had to have her middle finger amputated below the first joint yesterday. Has been battling a bad staph infection in that finger and they couldn't cure it. The doctors sent it to the lab to see if they can find out why they couldn't do anything.

Tomorrow DIL's family is coming. They are going to a parade tomorrow night. I will prpbably go too.

Saturday morning Jackieo and I head out for the par-tay!

SUZY: Are you talking room painting project ro artistic painting project? Glad you are feeling so good about yourself. I'm also a big homemade soup fan. I think Bob is too.

BETH: We knew you could do it!

GATOR: Glad you are feeling so good and eating so well! Many of our head trauma patients were on antibiotics for all their injuries and infections. When the good bacteria gets killed you can also suffer from diarhea. Because of the high dosages some of them had as well as the extreme length of time they were on them some of them had severe diarhea. One of the things we would feed the ones able to eat was yougurt, the kind that has live cultures. Yogurt is also good for yeast infections.

LDBLOND: Sorry you are aching. At least you lost 1/2 # and didn't gain. Hope the pool therapy is approved. It really is necessary for you.

TEENSY: Did I miss something? Whosh Fairy? You know there will be a rundown of all the things we do at the get together!

PANCHO: It is hard to be patient but sometimes that's what's needed. I hope that Britt see some results soon. Don't try to anaylize why you didn't gain weight over your holiday. Just be thankful you didn't. The next time you do such a cheat you might not be so lucky!

JACKK: Glad you were able to go to Bunco, how neat of your friends to try to make you comfortable. Prayers for your DH!

V: My MIL used to complain about the pasterized. homgenized milk, calling it "Blue Milk", she was a farm girl. Lord knows what she would think of the new milk. I've been drinking skim so long I think 1% is too creamy! It's all what we get used to.
Do you have the amount of the ingredients in your whipped topping? Forget Survivor! But I watch CSI and ER. Just saw wheer you posted recipe.

BOB: Congrats on being a new Mom! I'm not a medical person, but I would advise getting some yogurt now, the kind with live cultures. Read post to Gator.

TRISH: I beg your pardon! I'm a good girl I am!! Remember I've had more experience, could probably drink y'll under the table!

HEART: My thighs move too!...................just not the same way yours did! They sort of dance, even when I'm not!!!!!!

Okay that's it. Don't know if I will get on tomorrow. Have to clean, pack. Also box up some dishes for HFH.

Shirley
Old 02-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #89  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Sorry I haven't been on, it's going to be like this til the 1st of March, unfortunately. Since I wasn't able to make it to the get together I have undertaken the humoungous task of trying to move the Ebay stuff I have in storage to another unit, 5 feet smaller. I was there from 8am-8pm yesterday and it's a job bigger than I'd ever imagined. I have til the 29th to finish before I have to pay on 2 units. The unit they gave me I'm NOT happy with at all, the light near it keeps going out and the timer that keeps the lights on for 30 minutes doesn't stay on more than 15-20. I came home with my feet feeling worse than when I did the half marathon, scrapes, bruises and lots of broken items too. I went to sleep at 9pm and I'm getting ready to go back over there today. I have a lot of glassware on a lot of shelves that I just don't know how I'm going to move it all-it's mind boggoling!

To those of you who are getting to go to the get together, I'll be thinking of you. To everyone else, I'm thinking about you all too - just need a little time to get some things done and then I'll be back. Hope everyone is well, I haven't even had a minute to read the boards.

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 02-20-2004, 08:58 AM   #90  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

WE HAVE A BIRTHDAY TO CELEBRATE TODAY!!!!

IT'S AGAPE'S BIRTHDAY TODAY!!!!

Closed Thread