Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: When it comes to wearing jewelry, which do you tend to wear most?
Yellow Gold 20 62.50%
White Gold 6 18.75%
Platinum 1 3.13%
Silver 2 6.25%
Costume 1 3.13%
Other 1 3.13%
I don't wear any jewelry 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:12 PM   #121  

(originally posted as a New Thread...I learned

Hey there

I discovered this board a few days ago and I've been reading it on and off ever since, trying to get a feel for this community. I hope you take it as a compliment that I had to join!!

A little about me, I'll be 34 this August, female, grew up in CT and now living for nine years in the Great Smokies of TN. When I got back OP last two weeks ago, I weighed 493, and lost 7 lbs my first week. I'm almost afraid to say that I'm determined to do this, but I feel that I have to. My health, right now, is good, always has been, but I'm pushing my luck. I can't fit into a regular airline seat or most carnival rides, and this has kept me from seeing and doing things I want to do. I have five nieces and nephews that I adore and Auntie wants to be around to spoil them a long time. I also want to GO places and be able to do more than get out of breath and have my feet and back ache.

I actually tried SB last summer, when it was recommended by my doctor. I had success with it too, but did not stick with it for financial and other reasons. It costs to eat healthy!! I've tried Weight Watchers with some success, but I get bored and discouraged...and angry when they cannot accurately weigh a person of my size on their medical scale. My housemates and I went out and bought a digital scale together, they are both my size and are doing weight watchers... but to each his own. I'm not hungry on SB.

Reading your posts has made me realize how little I understand about the program, and how much I've needed this kind of support group. I've already been enlightened to new points, and I made an effort to drink my water instead of the diet cherry 7-up I have been drinking. I love water, I just need to remember that

Any help you all can give me wil be very much appreciated. AndI hope to be a contributing member as well (heck, just try and shut me up when I get on a roll!!)

Sincerely,
Old 05-18-2003, 12:21 PM   #122  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!!

Wanted to check in...slept really well last night, but got up with tremendous arm pain...THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!
Just one more day till the Dr...keep all fingers and toes crossed for me.

The last two movies were:

EMPERIOR....GREAT.....
PILOTS WIFE....been done...but ok....

Nothing planned today but laundry...too hot out there for outdoor activities...not interested in the mall..would go to the movie, but I'm afraid I couldn't sit there...

WELCOME to all that are new....sorry I can't address you personally....BUT JUST WAIT TILL MY SHOULDER IS BETTER

I'm outta here gals....

BOB
Old 05-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #123  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Sorry I've been MIA this weekend. Doesn't seem like I'm going to have a chance to play catch up today, doing lots of laundry and have my niece's 1st birthday party later this afternoon. Be forewarned, I'm going to cheat, okay, let me rephrase that, I've been cheating and will just continue on. Tomorrow though, back on track.

Will be on in the am to start the new board and try to get a boost of self control to start the new week. Another forewarning - will be hard to post to everyone individually this coming week, TRANQUIL arrives Wednesday and I'm totally NOT prepared, my house is a wreck, one step forward, ten steps back - it never ends...

NEWBIES, ARCAYNE, KETISTERIC & WOOZILY Will give you my proper hello later - sorry, I'm usually never at a loss for words, though not at a loss for words, just the time to get them out

{{{HUGS}}}

Deb
Old 05-18-2003, 01:01 PM   #124  
Enjoying a new beginning

I just have a moment but would like to welcome our newbies
This is such a supportive group and there is a lot to learn from the ole pro's. Welcome!!

I just wanted to share that I've ordered my treadmill and thank you for the suggestions. I was so blessed... I had loaned a girlfriend some $$ several years ago and never expected to be repaid. Just before I ordered the treadmill, I recieved a money order from this dear gal. I was so surprized and thrilled to be back in touch with this gal. So I ordered a good treadmill. It never ceases to amaze me when one of these little miracles appear.

I continue to pray for our group and their families. My heart aches for Bob and it is time she finds some relief. Let's all pray for healing for her. I'm not trying to be preachy but I know from my own spontaneous remission that miracles can happen.
Have a great day everyone...ok I'm a little bitter when some of you need your A/C repaired. I snowed here yesterday please send some of your spring my way...
Old 05-18-2003, 04:38 PM   #125  

I talked to YELLOW ROSE a few minutes ago. We are going to be getting together this evening, when they get into Atlanta for the night. I am going to take my digital camera and will try and get some pictures.

GRIN: Its raining, no, its POURING here. It has been pouring for weeks. I think I would rather have the snow! Want to trade? Everything in my house feels sticky from the humidity!

ARCAYNE: Welcome! Following SB is so much easier then WW to me! On WW I really struggled, and would lose to begin with, then stop. I have insulin problems, and never realized that I was really doing a number on my metabolism eating potatoes, and white flour and rice, and corn! Being off that stuff makes a big difference in how I feel! I wish you great success! Jump right in here! This is a great group!

KETI: Welcome to you too! We are glad you joined us!
Old 05-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #126  

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!!! I appreciate it

MONET: My doctor told me that I have insulin problems as well,
and with a history of diabetes on both sides of my family, following a WOE like Sugarbusters would greatly reduce my chance of getting it, or having to take medication to prevent it.
It's connected to a hormonal problem, which being so overweight exacerbates, so losing weight will be a major plus!!

Does anyone have advice on cooking basmati rice? Does it cook like regular rice? It's been so long since I made anything but Success Brown minute rice...my housemate has a great burlap bag of the basmati and gave me some, but I couldn't get it cooked the other night!! I was cooking 1/2 rice to a cup of water...but maybe you HAVE to make at least a cup of rice/2 cups of water, to give it cooking time?
Old 05-18-2003, 05:47 PM   #127  

ARCAYNE: I have a pot of basmati on the stove right now. It is brown basmati, and the proportions are 2 cups water/1 cup rice. It takes a long time to cook..the brown takes about 45 minutes. If you are only cooking a 1/2 cup, you probably need to use a pretty small pan so it steams properly. Try cooking 1 cup and freezing it in portion sizes in zip lock bags. It makes it really easy then if you want rice. You just pull out a bag and zap it in the microwave.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:50 PM   #128  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good afternoon!

Howdy all. I have been an eating monster this weekend. No excuses I've just lost my mind. Tomorrow I am going to start back on my walking...two weeks off is more than enough.

Welcome to all the new people this weekend. I hope you find this WOE works for you.

Arcayne..WTG on your first 7 pounds! You will find the longer you are eating this way the cost will come down. At least it has for me. If you have a local bread store they have several stone ground whole wheat breads to choose from. Do you have an HEB where you live? They have brown rice cheaper than anyone I know around here...unless I have a coupon then I can get it for a quarter a bag at the stores that triple.

Catchinup....when it comes to the bread I think depending on how much bread you eat that you could use the sugar rule and as long as it's stone ground not worry it if has a little corn syrup in it. There are two kinds here one without any sugar..it's Natures own...they have that an a reduced carb one. My favorite is Cobblestone Mill 100 pecent stone ground wheat. It has 3 sugars..but well worth it to me. I rarely eat bread and want to enjoy it when I do.

Grin + Shareit...that is wonderful!!!! Enjoy your new treadmill and getting back in touch with your friend.

Bob....sorry that arm is still hurting you.

Monet....can't wait to see pictures of you and Yellowrose. I think it 's too neat you get to visit each other.

Rosalie...I would love for it to be cool again. I think we are in the heat for the long haul. It's 93 right now at almost 5 in the afternoon. It's not even the hot months yet.

Susan...wow..that was a long day of errands. I hope you got to enjoy your you time.

Well I am outta here....been sitting far too long today.

Love,
Crystle

235/149/140-135
Old 05-18-2003, 07:17 PM   #129  

Angry

Hello Everybody,
Just checking in and hoping that you are enjoying your day. Today I am a little sluggish. The weather really affects my moods a lot. We have had cloudy and rainy wheather for days now. When the sun is nice and shining, I feel on top of the world. I think I read that the sun and bright lights quick starts your metabolism a little bit. So I think when I get up in the morning I will turn on all of the lights for a while.

Arcayne~~ Welcome to Sugar Busters,glad to have you here. I have not cooked basmati rice before, however, I researched it on the intenet on different sites and they basicly the same. Except for adding different spices. Below I have copied and pasted a recipe for you, I hope this helps you. I had bought some brown rice and I declare it took nearly 2 hours to cook. I think maybe I bought the rice too old. Good luck with your rice.

Fragrant Basmati Rice

1 cup basmati rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil

Microwave method: Stir together all ingredients except salt in deep microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on High (100 percent power) for six minutes. Uncover carefully and stir well. Replace cover and microwave on High for another six minutes. Let rice sit, covered, for five minutes. Remove whole spices and fluff with a fork. Add salt to taste and serve immediately.
Stove-top method: Place all ingredients in heavy saucepan. Bring to boil, lower heat and cover with tight-fitting lid. Simmer 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice stand five minutes. Remove whole spices and fluff rice with fork. Makes four servings.

Per serving: 201 calories; 3 grams fat; 39 milligrams cholesterol; 33 milligrams sodium. Percent calories from fat: 15 percent.

Fillise~~ I feel great and my clothes are getting lose. I did what you thought about doing. I stayed at home and was a slug. It feels good.

OrangeBabe~~ I appreciate your movie reviews and I truly hope that you feel better soon.

Rosalie~~ Thanks for your input. I will try using agave in my coffee. And was also glad to see the Glycemic Index and Load site. I was just thinking about the link to the site and came here and there it was, thanx again.

Monet~~ I got my glucophage. I have to take it (4) with my last meal. Is that how you take it. I was having out of this world hunger pangs. Does this sound familiar to you? I was thinking it may have been the mixing of some of my medicines. I made it a practice to take them all at night because of the reaction ( nauseated)I would get taking certain meds. I feel a lot better now, but still experience hunger pangs in the evening. Hope you are feeling wonderfully these days.

Debbie~~ I know how you feel, one step forward and ten backwards. Hang in there and you will get the job done.

CountryMom4Him~~ How have you been? I think I've got to get myself moving, too. I have a TM and a TotalFitness. I will be back on track tomorrow. I will go to the gym with my daughter to get the motivation back.

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEWBIES. Great place here for support and encouragement in every way.

Gotta go now and get that last meal in before it gets too late.

Love,
LJunel (slim and healthy)
Old 05-18-2003, 09:27 PM   #130  

Cover??? ::doink:: It has been way too long since I cooked "real" rice. I didn't cover it. So it didn't steam soft. Oy! I'm spoiled by convenience foods.

COUNTRYMOM: What is HEB? Our new Kroger has a huge health food section, and we do have a health food store nearby, I plan to check them both out for brown basmati and some decent bread
Old 05-18-2003, 10:14 PM   #131  

Question Question Time

I'm throwing this question out there to anybody who can answer it. I have made oatmeal cookies twice using old fashion oats. To me, it is like eating undone oats. I know already that instant and quick oats are not good for us to eat. However, since baking the oats isn't the same as boiling the oats, can I use the quick oats for baking oatmeal cookies? You may say what is your reasoning. Well, in reading Montignac's book Eat Yourself Slim, he says that we can have regular spaghetti because it is extruded and therefore a coating is on it. However it cannot be over cooked. So I'm thinking that quick oats cannot get mushy baking them in cookies. Does that make sense to anyone else?

OK, I'm outie.

love,
ljunel
Old 05-18-2003, 11:28 PM   #132  

I met Yellow Rose and her hubby tonight. Will report and post pictures tomorrow! Night all!

She was wonderful! So was her hubby! We had such a good time!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:15 AM   #133  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This weeks board is now closed. Please join us on the new weekly support board
Closed Thread