Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: When it comes to wearing jewelry, which do you tend to wear most?
Yellow Gold 20 62.50%
White Gold 6 18.75%
Platinum 1 3.13%
Silver 2 6.25%
Costume 1 3.13%
Other 1 3.13%
I don't wear any jewelry 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #31  

Monday night-- Cold, windy and rainy today. Stayed in and cleaned the house. Boring, but now it doesn't smell like dogs!! Need to get these relplies in so will do better tomorrow!

Monet-- Good morning! It is night time here, but I just wanted to get to say that to you!! LOL. The Mexican food sounds so good. I was going to make chicken enchilada's to take over to my grandma's Saturday, but my Aunt was doing shrimp stir fry for the main dish. So I will do them sometime this week. I have also been thinking about pizza alot this week. Need to get busy. It is easy if the weather stays bad.

Jack k-- I am so happy that everything was so wonderful. Now, the happy couple will begin their beautiful life together. You must be so proud! Sorry that the DJ wasn't the best.....but all in all it sounds like it was all spectacular!!

Zanne-- Hang in there, this week will be alot better for you. Sounds like you got most of the hard stuff done, and are just left with the boring job of cleaning huh?? Hope it will be a fast seller for you!

Jane-- Isn't it amazing how much heat men can generate. I can feel the heat from my Dh a good six inches away from him. When I get cold, I want to cuddle up to his back, and it only takes a few minutes and then I am usually just right. Sorry to hear TOM is giving you such a hard time. Feel better soon.

Deb-- I guess I should have known that our weather wouldn't last. Cold, windy, and rainy today. At the rate of sounding like a hick.....what is Tiramisu?? Good for you, that was a hugh victory over that Tiramisu. I too love Raspberries. Hope these will do good. Still need to get stuff planted, but I will not go out and freeze to do it. Won't grow yet anyway!! So very sorry to hear about your DD. Please keep us informed, will be praying for you and the family.

Beth-- Woo Hoo sounds like you are doing just great!! You go girl!!

Yellowrose-- Sounds like you and Monet will have a wonderful time together. I hope you won't beat yourself up over the cheese cake. If this is to be a WOL, you will undoubtably have to give in every once in awhile. Moderation is the key, and getting right back OP. Packing must be exercise too don't you think?? It can be very hard work.

HarleyG-- Welcome to Sugar Busters!! You will get some great help here. I am still fairly new to this..... but everyone here has been a tremendous help.

Jenn--Way to go!! One week down!! It will all come together for you, I just know it will.

BOB-- Sorry you are still in pain!! I wish there was some way I could help. Hang in there!!

Rosalie-- Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day!! The rose sounds beautiful. And the dinner even better, LOL!

Will be back later.... or tomorrow!!
Old 05-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #32  

Default TALITHA

Glad you have decided to join us. I'll try to answer some of your questions. OP means on plan. SB recommends no more than 2-3 starchy carbs per day to lose weight. But given that men usually find it much easier than women to lose weight it is possible that your dh may lose by continuing to have 4 starchy carbs a day as long as he cuts out the white stuff, like white flour, white rice, except basmati which is allowed, and eats whole grains, brown rice, lots of veggies and of course protein. You can also eat lentils and dried peas and beans. Most of these are good to include in your diet as they are mainly low glycemic so don't cause rapid rise in blood sugar and insulin levels. Agave is a liquid sweetener made from the agave plant (this is the plant that tequila is made from) and has a low glycemic index. We do have a BIO BOARD. If you go to the top of this page and click on SUGAR BUSTERS then click on INFORMATION BOARDS you will see our Bio Board as well as there are several other information boards you may want to look at.

To add a picture or AVATAR under your name go to the top of this page and click on User CP then click on Edit Options. There you can choose an avatar or add one of your own. If you post your BIO and want to add a picture underneath, after you have typed in your message before submitting the post go to the bottom of the page and click on BROWSE. Then you can go through your files to select your picture. Hope all this helps.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:29 AM   #33  

Only have a minute..gotta go get my son and give him a ride to work. Last night was NOT good. I need to get back on the wagon seriously today. The last few days have been the worst I have been in over two years! I am not looking forward to WIW, but I think it will be theraputic. Catch you all later!

TALITHA: Welcome, Neighbor! I live in Duluth, near Peachtree Corners and Norcross. You can get Agave at Harry's Whole Foods. I get it at the Gwinnett store. It is near the honey. Its great to have another Georgian on the board! It sounds like we have some things in common...I homeschooled my children for eight or nine years. My son is 24 now...and my youngest is a junior in high school. (I did not feel like I could homeschool through high school, tho I have friends who did it...)
Old 05-13-2003, 07:56 AM   #34  

Tuesday Morning---

Here's a quickie check in before I head out to work. Sorry I didn't get on last night to respond. Came home, started cutting the grass (Paul finished, God bless him!). Then I got a bath and went to bed while it was still light out. Boy, was I one pooped critter!

We are leaving for St. Louis on Thursday night. Will stop in Indy to leave Maddie at DB's and then head out Friday morning. I'm not sure how much I'll be on this week because I have a meeting tomorrow night and need to get our things laid out tonight. One of Paul's brothers is graduating from college, so the whole family is going out to celebrate this accomplishment.

Last week my eating STUNK. I was really having trouble staying focused. So instead of laying a guilt trip on me, I gave myself a couple of days off. Didn't journal or weigh anything. So yesterday, I started back and had a great day. Really kept track of all the eating. Feels good to be back in line with what I need to do.

DEB---Just skimmed the board, but sad to see that your Dad is back in the hospital. Did I tell you about our neighbor who had part of his colon removed not too long ago? Well, he really went through a tough time for a few weeks. He had a high fever and then some other complications and it was touch and go for a while. But he's doing great now. As a matter of fact, he started back at driving last week and there's no keeping him home. It just takes these older guys longer to recuperate. (Don't tell DD I said that! LOL) I'll keep him, your mom and his doctors in my prayers.

Okay, everyone else, have a GREAT day. Today is my honey's birthday. So I'm extra grateful for him and his special day.

Hugs to all.
Kim
Old 05-13-2003, 08:40 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good tuesday Morning.

Hope everyone is ready to have a great OP day!

I am proud to report that I got in 131 oz of water yesterday. I think that is a record for me. I took a 32 oz cup to the ballpark and drank 2 of them, plus all I had during the day. I must say there is something to drinking alot of water. I have lost 3 of the 4 lb gain from the weekend. I guess it really does flush it out.

We stayed too long at the ballpark last night and I am today.

Didn't get any exercise yesterday, but today will be a different story. After we go to the grocery I plan to walk and workout.

My niece took some digital pictures at the wedding so I will post them as soon as she gets them to me. I should have had her take them Thursday, when it looked more like a normal picture instead of all dressed up and hair fixed.

Rosalie, I love those plants in a bag. A lot of people hang them over their mailboxes and they look so pretty. WTG on passing up the fries.

Deb, Hoping all goes well with your dad. I know how irritated he must be with all this. Prayers for a successful surgery.

Bob, Did you ask about cortisone shots? You need to get something to help you. Pictures are coming, I promise.

Jenn, sorry to hear about your car troubles. You're right, don't let that undo all the good you are doing. I love using my crockpot. Nothing better than coming home to a cooked dinner.

Talitha, Welcome, you joined us while I was away last week. SB is such a healthy way of eating (WOE). You will be happy with it. OP is on program. My husband does this with me, but he ususally takes 2 sandwiches for lunch. He has lost about 40 pounds and never gave up his beer. Men tend to lose quicker anyway. Keep coming to this board, it will really help you stay OP.

Teensy, It is cold and rainy here too. What happened to summer. I think Deb is hoarding it all.

Monet, I think getting on that scale after cheating is a good wake up call. I know I have to do it. I was going to avoid it until WIW, but got on there Monday to face the music. It keeps me in line more.

Kim, Birthday wishes to Paul. Hope he has a great day. Have a wonderful trip. Don't worry abut last week. It is over and this is a new week. You have done so great, you will pick right up again and be fine.

Need to get busy here.

Have a great OP day.

Jackie
257/153/145
10-10-01
Old 05-13-2003, 08:55 AM   #36  

Default Good morning

I have to tell you all that you are so supportive. Yesterday after my pitty post I was thinking that I should leave this board because I have not been very successful on this WOE. But after reading all your posts (and not just in response to me) I don't feel that way anymore. I have to stay on some kind of program and this one is so doable. I am striving for an OP day if it kills me today. I had my carnation instant breakfast this morning (SF by the way) with skim milk. I made some WW pizza dough last night and it actually rose!!!!! Not real high but at least it rose!
How is that Monet! This time I followed the reciped that (forgive I didn't look at the post) "someone" posted the other day and it worked! I am having a small pizza for lunch (when I say small I mean it is only a 6" round. My DB and SIL gave me these small pizza pans years ago and they are great for making individual pizza's.
I also brought some grapes and some cheese with me today. I have my sunflower seeds for munching. I will need something else at some point. I don't know what I am having for dinner yet. I will have to think about it today because I'm sure that my DH will call and ask "what's for dinner?".

Rosalie: I did not know that basmati rice as legal. I love that stuff. I'm sure that you can only have a small amount but it will still be better than plain old brown rice.

Monet: you would be proud of me with the dough! Now how do I get it to COMPLETELY rise?

Deb: Sorry to hear that your DD is in the hospital again. I hope he is home soon. How is your DM doing through all of this?

Talitha: Welcome. Like they did with me, everyone here will make you feel right at home.

Jenn MN: Sorry about the financial woes. How is the med doing? Do you feel any better. It may take a while so hang in there.

BOB: where do you get all those avatars? The images that you add are great.

Jack-K: You are right. I don't know what I want more....the food or the smaller body. I have to decide and until I do I will continue to flownder I suppose.

Well, I am sure I missed a few. Sorry about that.

I am in some serious neck pain today.
I have always had this problem with my neck. If I get stressed or move JUST the wrong way my neck locks up and I can't move it left or right. It stinks! The only thing I can do is use heat and Advil. Sleeping is the worst! I said to myself last night "you better put some heat on this thing and stop it before it starts" but NO! I didn't and today I am paying for it. Oh well, enough wining.

Have a great day.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:50 AM   #37  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning Everyone

Got in from my walk/jog. Today I did something a little different, for the most part, I walked a minute then jogged a minute than reverted back. The new walkman I got will be at different intervals so I set it on every minute. Didn't feel like I was killing myself and still had a half-way decent time of 53:22

Eating continues to be perfectly on track - I wish I could always remember how good I feel when I eat OP when something seems to throw me off! Last night though, I ate really late. ELI came home and made my fav. eggplant dish and I ate 3/4 of the tray - what a pig I can beig: It's all legal, nothing but eggplant, tomato, onion, ground beef (very lean) pine nuts, tomato sauce and spices - YUMMY!!!!!

My DD's procedure seemed to go well. He's supposedly suppose to be in the hospital til Thursday, barring no complications. Chemo is to start in the next week or two. Will go to the hospital today and see him.

Have to take the kids and myself after school to get an eye exam. MICHAEL has complained that he feels his eyes have gotten worse (he already wears glasses) and LAUREN has never had her eyes checked, so more like preventative medicine. I need to get mine checked, it's been a few years.

Have a few other errands to get done today, though nothing exciting!

Got my Palm Pilot yesterday, wonderful condition, just as was stated in the auction. Now, it will probably take me forever to figure out the basics and even longer for anything more advanced

BOB, hope the 222's help. Ummm, your sweetie brought home the key chain, it was MY idea to send it to you He can still be your sweetie though

ROSALIE, I guess you're really hitting the URINATION STATION tonight! Reading anything worthwhile?

JENN, sorry to hear about the van. My car needs to be serviced badly, needs a major tune-up but I keep putting it off. I have to get it done in the next couple months though, since I'll be taking MICHAEL up the east coast to look at colleges in August it seems and I sure don't need to get stuck anywhere, that's for sure! Keep on plugging away girl, you're doing great! See, once you get that sugar out of your system, I'm convinced that you can stay OP through good and bad times

SUGAR, the Sheltons are legal, delicious and you should be able to find them at your local HFS (hopefully). Do you have a WHOLE FOODS or WILD OATS near you? If not, see if someone can order you a case - I believe there's only 6 to a case and if you eat one, you'll probably eat a case in a week, well, maybe not, but I do

TALITHA, you can get the book at your local library, it's an easy read, or a used one even on line. Again, check your library for MONTIGNAC'S book as well, it's good to get if you can. You've done wonderful since your DD was born with your weight loss, congratulations. SB will just help you along your journey on losing whatever weight you'd like to. Yes, you can still use soy, just make sure it's unsweetened. I actually just started to like soy and found the WESTBRAE unsweetened is really good, esp. in cereal, but I only use a little. Thanks for sharing a bit more about yourself! It was nice to learn some more about you. I love the Marietta/Roswell areas of GA-so pretty up there! You will be happy to know MONET lives not far from you in Hotlanta-you and her should at least exchange telephone numbers (if you'd like), she's really sweet! We got to meet last year when I was passing through - we met over at Harry's! You asked about agave, she'll tell you exactly where you can get it, actually, she mentioned to YELLOWROSE, who shes' going to meet up with this Sunday in Atlanta that WHOLE FOODS has the agave there, and the price is cheaper than I can get down here. I use it in baking as it's low glycemic and able to be used on this WOE (way of eating). WOW, you do come from a big family, you DM must be have the patience of a saint!!! The last challenge is for next week, when I post the weekly poll, the question will be "HOW MANY DAYS WERE YOU 100% OP (on plan) and I'm hoping to have many post 7 days!!! Good luck to TRAVIS as well, and yes, he'll probably need more starchy carbs, esp. if he's really physical. I hope ROSALIE was able to answer some of your questions as well. Again, don't be afraid to ask questions, as you can see, we're ready and willing to help! Also, you can check out our PHOTO ALBUM BOARD which is also on the SB INFORMATION BOARD area.

TEENSY, I'll take your cold, you can keep the wind and rain Tiramisu is an Italian dessert, has liquor in it, marscapone cheese, sugar, suppose to be made with lady fingers but the one I like has thin cake layers, not sure what else, but when it's made good, it's to die for!!! There use to be a place near us called Italiani's that had the BEST tiramisu, but they closed Now I go for the one at WHOLE FOODS if I want it, but of course, I'm trying to stay away from it now!!!

MONET, do I need to call you??? Get it out of your system, eat whatever it is that you THINK you want to eat and then get back on track. If you aren't ready, it's not going to work, been there, done that-you'll know when you're ready. Usually for me, it's the feeling like crap, stuffed out of my gourd and feeling like I'm going to be sick as a dog, and clothes that are so tight that I can't seem to breath!!!! You'll do it!!!

QUILTER, tell PAUL HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Have a great time in St. Louis. Hope you don't run in to any bad weather. Actually, the colon isn't giving my DD problems, it's the blood clots in the legs-not sure which is worse! Glad to hear you're back on track!!

JACKK, okay, you beat me with the water and probably visits to the URINATION STATION as well. I got side tracked and didn't get in enough water yesterday I know. Will work on it better today. Darn, if you lost that much from drinking water I BETTER get in my water!!! I need a loss like that!

JANE, if you think you're the first or even the last to post a pitty post, WRONG! We've all done it. That's one of the great things about this board and the people on it, we ALL understand where each one of us is coming from in times like that, we've ALL been there at one time or another, or on many occasions Did you read what I posted for you yesterday? Any thoughts to it? My DM is just fine, she thinks of this as time away from my Dad to clean the house! Hope your neck gets better!! Good luck today on staying OP, do your best, that's all you can do!

TONIGHT IS CHAT AT 9:15PM EST!!!! Hope you can join me in the chat room tonight. As far as I can see, there shouldn't be a problem with me getting in there - will give the kids fair warning!

And of course, for all of you brave souls, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!! Good luck to those who so willfully step on the metal monster!!!

Gotta run!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 05-13-2003, 09:52 AM   #38  

Today is TUESDAY TIPS so here's my contribution:

Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load

_

Professor Jennie-Brand Miller of the University of Sydney published July 2002 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, pages 5-56.

_

The glycemic index (GI) is a numerical system of measuring how fast a carbohydrate triggers a rise in circulating blood sugar. The higher the number, the greater the blood sugar response. A low GI food will cause a small rise, while a high GI food will cause a dramatic spike. A GI of 70 or more is high, a GI of 56 to 69 is medium, and a GI of 55 or less is low.

The glycemic load (GL) assess the impact of carbohydrate consumption that takes the glycemic index into account, but gives a more accurate picture than does glycemic index alone. A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. It doesn’t tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a serving of food. You need to know both things to understand how a food’s carbohydrate effects blood sugar. This is where glycemic load comes in. A GL of 20 or more is high, a GL of 11 to 19 is medium, and a GL of 10 or less is low.

Foods that have a low GI invariably have a low GL, but foods with an intermediate or high GI range from very low to very high GL. Therefore, you can reduce the GL of your diet by limiting foods that have both a high GI and a high carbohydrate content.

The GI is based on the glucose index and is what we refer to (Some are based on White Bread) where glucose is set to equal 100. The glycemic load is the glycemic index divided by 100 multiplied by its available carbohydrate content (i.e. carbohydrates minus fiber) in grams. Watermelon for example has a high glycemic index of about 72. According to the University of Sydney's Human Nutrition Unit, a serving size of 120 grams of watermelon has 6 grams of available carbohydrate per serving, so its glycemic load is very low, 72/100*6=4.32, rounded to 4.

But what if your meal contains protein and fat as it usually does? Will that affect our mixed meal calculations?

The it's believed that that between 50 to 60% of protein becomes glucose and enters the bloodstream about 3 to 4 hours after it's eaten. It's widely accepted that fat has little affect on blood glucose. However, recent studies indicate that neither protein nor fat have more than a minuscule affect on blood glucose. This seems to be true for people both with and without diabetes. The protein studies are particularly interesting.

In the long term it seems protein and fats affect blood glucose levels by having the distinct potential to induce insulin resistance. The result of course would mean that any carbohydrate would raise blood glucose and insulin levels to greater levels on a day to day basis. The type of fat seems to be important here. A study in Diabetologia showed that moderately high monounsaturated fatty acids diets improved insulin sensitivity and if the fat was less than a certain level (higher than 37% was associated with insulin resistance)."

_

Summary & Links

_

1) The glycemic index divided by 100 multiplied by its available carbohydrate content (i.e. carbohydrates minus fiber) in grams.

2) You can quite readily predict the glycemic index of a mixed meal. Simply multiply the percent of total carbohydrate of each of the foods by its glycemic index and add up the results to get the glycemic index of the meal as a whole.
(If you're having three foods, 65 + 59 + 82 = 206 / 3 = 68.7 or 69) You can also figure GL the same way!

3) Meals high in fat tends to reduce the impact of any one carbohydrate food. However, the type of fat and amount seems to be important here.

4) You can use the USDA Nutrient Database to determine the available carbohydrates in the given serving size.

5) A short list of foods showing their glycemic index- produced by Professor Jennie-Brand Miller of the University of Sydney.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #39  

I found this on a diabetic website and thought it was an interesting read. I personally don't use fructose. Just passing this on for insight:

I'm a diabetic (adult onset). Why is fructose better for me than regular table sugar?

A. Crystalline fructose is a refined and simple sugar. It will not raise blood sugars as high as table sugar (sucrose). Sucrose will break down into glucose and fructose, and actually affects blood sugar levels less than starch, which is broken down quickly into pure glucose ("New Sugar Guidelines" in DIABETES SELF-MANAGEMENT, July/Aug 94). This is why the glycemic index of a potato is so high compared to ice cream. Ice cream has fat and protein combined with the sugar which slows down the absorption, causing a lesser affect on blood sugar levels.

If you want to avoid refined sweeteners, don't let the healthy-sounding name and its ubiquitous presence in the health food store fool you! It's true that fructose is the chief sugar found in fruit (along with sucrose and glucose). It is also one of the sugars found in honey (again, along with glucose and sucrose). However, it is a very highly processed sugar and is, believe it or not, more frequently derived from *corn* than from fruit. Unless your fructose is specifically labeled otherwise, assume that it came from corn and is like very highly refined corn starch. Since it takes the body longer to convert fructose to glucose so there is less of an effect on blood sugar. However, it has risks as well: it may put one at risk of heart disease and high blood pressure and has been shown to raise triglyceride levels.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:59 AM   #40  

Interesting article, came from the following website:

http://www.sciencenews.org/20000408/bob9.asp

The New GI Tracts

For preventing heart disease, diets that control insulin are all the buzz

Janet Raloff

It's hard to meander down the health-and-nutrition aisles of book megastores without encountering displays for competing diet guides. The books target different parts of the population—people struggling with obesity, lack of pep, or various diseases. Recently, there's been an explosion of volumes for a condition that some authors claim affects one-tenth to one-third of people in the United States. People usually don't know whether they have this characteristic, called insulin resistance, but if they do, they face an unusually high risk of developing heart disease.

Two new tomes offering ways to diminish health complications of insulin resistance share the same title—Syndrome X—the medical name for a constellation of abnormalities that often develop in insulin-resistant individuals (SN: 9/16/89, p. 184). These include increases in blood pressure (SN: 10/14/89, p. 254), the length of time fats circulate in the blood, and the share of cholesterol residing in especially small, low-density lipoproteins (LDLs), which pose a potent heart-attack risk (SN: 9/21/96, p. 182: http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arch/9_21_96/fob3.htm). Syndrome X differs from diabetes in that the body can still produce enough insulin to cope with its elevated blood sugar.

Both books move away from the low-fat mantra that has pervaded major health guidelines for the general population during the past decade and campaign instead for limits on carbohydrates—sugary and starchy fare. The approaches to managing carbs, however, differ dramatically, reflecting a sharp dichotomy in the research community.

One of the Syndrome X books, by Jack Challem (2000, John Wiley & Sons), recommends that people with this problem select fare with a low glycemic index (GI). In these foods, carbohydrates break down slowly in the digestive system to provide the blood glucose that powers cells. Challem and his coauthors reason that this sluggish digestion will keep blood-glucose concentrations fairly low, enabling the body to metabolize this sugar via a stable, moderate production of insulin.

In the other new book with the same title (2000, Simon & Schuster), Stanford Medical School endocrinologist Gerald Reaven—who first defined syndrome X in 1988—asserts that the easiest way to maintain steady, moderate insulin concentrations is to keep body weight low, avoid bingeing on food, and steer clear of low-fat diets while limiting saturated fats. Indeed, he told Science News, "the last thing I'd worry about is glycemic index."

Yet the term glycemic index is entering the public lexicon, not to mention medical symposia, health guidelines, and nutritional prescriptions. Fueling this interest is a rapidly growing body of research reporting tantalizing prospects for diets guided by the rate at which their carbohydrates are digested. Some researchers suggest that such diets can also foster weight loss (see below: "Glycemic index for weight loss?") and perhaps even slow or prevent the development of type II diabetes.

Although the authors of these studies are quick to acknowledge limitations in their data—often owing to small test groups or short trials of diets—many are enthusiastic about the potential health payoff from managing insulin via the diet, especially in people with no apparent risk factors for diabetes.

In fact, to nutritional epidemiologist Simin Liu of the Harvard Medical School in Boston, the work on glycemic index "is the most fascinating and promising area in nutrition research today."

Getting research rolling

Reaven takes credit for getting research on the glycemic index rolling some 30 years ago. That's when his team at Stanford first began investigating the rates at which different starches break down.

Starches, a family of carbohydrates, consist of linked glucose molecules. The prevailing view had been that once in the digestive system, the glucose units would uncouple at some common rate and enter the blood. For any given quantity of starch eaten, then, the rise and fall of blood-glucose concentrations—and insulin—should be identical.

In fact, Reaven showed, starchy foods can release their glucose at very different rates. He found that baked potatoes and bread release their glucose quickly, and rice and cooked corn parcel it out more slowly. One study by his team showed that the gut even digests a single type of rice at different rates depending on how it has been milled. "This really emphasized the importance of the physical properties of a food," he recalls.

Nutritionists quickly translated such findings into new recommendations for people with diabetes. Many began advising patients who need to control their blood-sugar concentrations to eat less-processed forms of a food—such as whole carrots instead of grated ones or firm instead of overcooked pasta.

To Reaven and several others, however, the greatest significance of those early studies was their implications for people who hadn't been diagnosed with diabetes.

"The first actual measurements of insulin resistance probably took place around 1970, with techniques that we introduced," Reaven recalls. These and later studies would show that although much of the nondiabetic population makes what should be adequate amounts of insulin, some people have trouble using the hormone.

Certain tissues—notably, muscle and fat—can't absorb glucose from blood unless it's shepherded by insulin. In nondiabetic people with insulin resistance, normal concentrations of the hormone are insufficient, for reasons that remain unknown. The body compensates by pumping out increasingly larger amounts of the hormone.

Genetic predisposition and obesity can both contribute to insulin resistance. The more insulin-resistant a person becomes, the more insulin that person makes. In some cases, resistance eventually leads to type II diabetes, in which the body can't reliably make enough insulin to compensate for resistance. Reaven observes that most people, however, just rev up their insulin production to increasing levels, as needed—an adaptation that represents a mixed blessing.

The resulting overproduction, called hyperinsulinemia, can damage blood vessels and prompt the liver to increase its output of very-low-density lipoproteins (VLDLs). These compounds have been linked to increased risk of heart disease. Also, as they circulate in the blood, VLDLs trigger a fall in high-density-lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the so-called good cholesterol (SN: 9/9/89, p. 171). The other changes seen in syndrome X, Reaven adds, may also be the result of hyperinsulinemia trying to overcome insulin resistance.

Reaven contends that for people with insulin resistance, carbohydrate-rich diets are at least as dangerous as those laden with saturated fats.

Breakdown rates

Some 20 years ago, David J.A. Jenkins of the University of Toronto also began worrying about the dangers that certain carbohydrates might pose to insulin-resistant people. To investigate these risks, he needed to know the breakdown rates of comestibles containing carbs. So his team began feeding a battery of foods to healthy individuals and ranking the foods' glycemic indexes on a 100-point scale, where 100 is pure glucose. The higher the GI values, the more rapidly carbohydrates turn into blood sugar.

"These studies are quite expensive," which explains their slow accumulation in the medical literature, says Jennie Brand-Miller of the University of Sydney, Australia, who has done many of her own. But such studies prove essential, she adds, because GI rankings often turn out to be counterintuitive.

For instance, the GIs for ice cream and chocolate milk tend to fall under 50, she's found, while that for baked potatoes can range from 75 to 100, depending on the type of potato.

Once GIs were measured for a range of foods, Jenkins' group began giving volunteers diets with a low or high rating. "And we showed that diets based on low-GI carbohydrates improved [serum] triglyceride levels, total cholesterol levels, and the ratio of LDLs to HDLs," Jenkins says.

His crew also observed signs of other advantages, he says, such as better removal of urea wastes from the blood and inklings that limiting hyperinsulinemia via the diet might limit cancer growth. A just-completed follow-up study, he says, lends strong support to the idea that a low-GI diet can fight cancer.

However, Jenkins points out, the quantity and quality of a food's fiber can prove pivotal to its GI. "It was therefore hard to tell whether changes were due simply to low-GI intakes, to fiber, or both," he says.

"Fiber and glycemic index are intimately mixed up in a way that most people don't understand," Brand-Miller explains. Fiber can slow the digestion of associated carbohydrates—but only if the fiber remains an intact part of the original food.

For instance, she notes, whole grains tend to have a GI of 50 or so. But mill those grains, and their fiber will be crushed into small shards that separate from the carbohydrates they had been protecting. Whole-grain flours and refined white flour both usually yield breads with a GI of about 70, she notes.

Vitriolic debates

About 15 years ago, Jenkins says, "vitriolic" debates broke out between factions of the nutrition community that were warming to the value of GI-tailored diets and that thought them a waste of time. Eventually tiring of the politics "and venom," Jenkins says, he switched his research focus.

Others, however, continued to probe the value of controlling insulin through diet.

While at the Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine in Amsterdam, Johannas B. Ruige reviewed 17 studies that had looked at cardiovascular risks from hyperinsulinemia. His analysis noted that it was hard to compare the studies because of differences in their designs. Also, most were small; seven contained fewer than 20 subjects each.

Still, he told Science News, "we saw some increasing risk with increasing insulin levels." Overall, "it was a very small effect," perhaps an increase in cardiovascular disease risk of 15 or 20 percent, he says.

Gary Frost of Hammersmith Hospitals in London has also been homing in on the ways that food choices affect insulin. By changing the diet of heart-disease patients, for instance, "we showed that a low-GI diet improves insulin sensitivity," he says. Recently, his team analyzed diets in a cross-section of British adults—1,420 men and women participating in a study of heart risks. Searching for links between HDLs and various facets of the diet, such as fats and carbohydrate consumption, only one strong correlating factor emerged: glycemic index.

The 20 percent of the volunteers eating foods having the lowest GI possessed substantially higher HDL concentrations than the 20 percent eating the highest-GI foods. In women, the HDL difference between groups came to 9.7 milligrams per deciliter of blood. That should translate to a 29 percent reduction in coronary heart disease mortality for the low-GI group, Frost's team concluded in the March 27, 1999 Lancet. Men eating low-GI fare showed a similar though smaller HDL boost.

"We believe that what's going on is that these low-GI foods attenuated the insulin response of the diet," Frost told Science News.

Using 10 years of data collected from more than 75,000 women in the long-running Nurses Health Study, Liu says his team at Harvard "basically confirmed what Frost found." The Harvard researchers showed that average daily glycemic load—the amount of carbohydrates downed, adjusted for the GI values of the food typically eaten—"was directly associated with risk of coronary heart disease," Liu says. Even after taking into account other potentially confounding risk factors, people who routinely ate the lowest glycemic load had only about half the incidence of heart disease as those eating the highest load.

The trend was strongest among the heaviest women, Liu notes. Since obesity tends to increase an individual's risk of insulin resistance, he notes, this study again finds evidence that hyperinsulinemia could explain the link between carbohydrate consumption and the increased incidence of heart disease.

Nutritionist James J. Kenney argues that many studies that purport to find advantages to low-GI diets have been flawed. They tend to offer participants equal-calorie portions of high- and low-GI fare. Because high-carbohydrate foods are usually not as energy dense as high-fat alternatives, it becomes hard to down excessive calories on high-carb diets, Kenney asserts. In people who don't overeat, he says, high-carb diets don't seem to lead to the worrisome metabolic features of syndrome X. Kenney works in Santa Monica, Calif., at the Pritikin Longevity Center, which promotes diets of low-fat foods with low caloric densities.

Dietary options

Other dietary options may be as beneficial as controlling carbohydrates—and more palatable, according to Manny Noakes of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization in Adelaide, Australia. Last year, she and her colleagues investigated the effects of glycemic index on HDLs in 21 men and women with type II diabetes.

The researchers assigned each person to a succession of 4-week diets. In one phase, all the volunteers ate high-carbohydrate, high-GI meals. In another segment, all consumed high-carbohydrate, low-GI foods. In a third phase, they downed a high-fat diet, in which most of the fats were heart-healthy monounsaturates (SN: 11/21/98, p. 328: http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc98/11_21_98/Bob1.htm). Any carbohydrates in those meals had high GIs.

As in Frost's study, low-GI meals elevated the volunteers' good HDLs, although the magnitude of that increase was small, just 6 percent. More surprising, the Australian team reported in the June 1999 European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, was a comparable HDL elevation when the participants downed high-fat, high-GI meals.

To Noakes, this suggests that the benefits of heart-healthy mono fats may compensate for any detrimental effects of high-GI foods—provided the total share of carbohydrates in the diet is kept relatively low. That could prove important, she points out, since high-fat fare tends to be tastier, making diets including it easier to stick with.

And that, Reaven contends, is his big argument against using glycemic index as a guide to food selection.

He's found that "getting patients to change their diet is very difficult." Most want the high-fat taste without its risks. A relatively simple change—substituting monounsaturates for saturated fats—can achieve that a lot more easily, he argues, than making people look up food choices in GI tables before they sit down to eat.

"There's nothing wrong with [adjusting diets for] glycemic index," he says, except that it's more cumbersome than other options and doesn't deliver the same magnitude of benefit that losing weight or cutting overall consumption of carbohydrates will offer.

Brand-Miller—whose GI tables appear in her popular book The Glucose Revolution (1999, Marlowe & Co.)—argues that this criticism just reflects an "American" bias. Elsewhere, especially in Australia, South Africa, and parts of Europe, she says, the use of GI tables to fashion healthier diets "has been well accepted for more than 10 years." She notes that low-GI diets have been linked to reduced appetite and weight loss, and she expects that many North American holdouts will "come around."

The important thing, she points out, is to realize that as long as a person doesn't binge on high-GI offerings, no food needs to be ruled out of carb-managed diets—"even chocolate."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glycemic index for weight loss?
Studies of glycemic index (GI) were originally intended to help people suffering from an unusually low response to their own insulin, but some researchers now suggest that the diet they recommend for this so-called syndrome X can benefit nearly anyone. In The Glucose Revolution (1999, Marlowe & Co.), Jennie Brand-Miller of the University of Sydney, Australia and her coauthors propose that a low-GI diet can melt off pounds and even boost athletic performance.

Because foods ranking low on the GI scale tend to be rich in fiber, it's difficult to sort out which aspect of diet is more important. The findings of a study published in the Oct. 27, 1999 Journal of the American Medical Association, for example, might be attributed to either factor.

Fiber emerged as the leading dietary constituent linked to weight control in this 10-year study of nearly 3,000 men and women. The more fiber an individual ate, the less likely he or she was to gain weight. Moreover, fiber consumption "had a major [beneficial] effect on blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and fibrinogen, which is a measure of the tendency for excessive blood clotting," notes David S. Ludwig of Children's Hospital in Boston, the study's lead author.

Although the glycemic indexes of the foods eaten weren't calculated in this trial, Ludwig says that fiber appears to exert its effects "by lowering levels of the hormone insulin." That's not surprising, he adds, because insulin can program the body to store calories. Indeed, he notes, "one complication of insulin treatment for diabetics can be excessive weight gain."

Ludwig saw similar effects in a study of 12 overweight boys. The teens experienced greater and earlier hunger after a high-GI breakfast and lunch than after a breakfast and lunch of low-GI fare—even though all the meals contained the same number of calories. More importantly, his team reported in the March 1999 online version of Pediatrics, the youths snacked on 81 percent more calories after two high-GI meals of instant oatmeal than after two low-GI meals of vegetable omelets and fruit.

Before giving the keynote address at the meeting of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity last year, Susan B. Roberts of the Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston reviewed the 20 studies that were available on glycemic index and obesity. Though many had design flaws, six looked pretty strong, she says. "And five of those six, including the one I coauthored [with Ludwig, in Pediatrics], showed that low-GI foods reduced hunger," she says.

High-GI foods foster a large increase in insulin within about 30 minutes, she notes. An hour later, however, blood concentrations of this hormone plummet, which the body translates into a feeling "that you're ravenously hungry," she observes.

"So, I have developed a personal rule of thumb," Roberts says. "If you're hungry 2 hours after a meal, you're eating the wrong foods."
Old 05-13-2003, 02:04 PM   #41  

Hola All,
I have had 4 glasses of water and walked 2 miles this morning. I think I am eating OP, but I just started reading the book, so I don't know enough to be sure. Our WOE for the last year has been so similar to this, that it's not really much of a change. I think it will help allot to have a plan to back it, though.
It sounds like many of us are walking for exercise. May I suggest a website? www.workoutmusicvideo.com sells walking tapes with popular music set to a certain MPH. It helps me keep on track and I love them. I used to work for the company that makes them, so I know they are good.

Monet- That's great that you live so close!! I have never shopped at Whole Foods. I am A member of the Life Co-op on Roswell road, and I drive to the Duluth Farmer's Market once a month. I will check both of those first for Agave. I want to try it!! I loved being homeschooled, but we lived in CA and it was much different than GA. I even had a homeschool prom!!! My mother is still homeschooling the youngest 4 kids.

Rosalie-thank you for the info. I think this group is great. Do you guys even realize how awesome you are? I am so excited about finding this!!!

Jackie- I think sending 2 sandwiches is a good idea, and Trav would love it. Besides, he is only 5 lbs more than me and I am terrified that he will lose much faster . My goal is to lose 15-20lb before Hannah's wedding on July 26. We'll see........

Talitha
Old 05-13-2003, 02:15 PM   #42  

Are there directions somewhere on how to get onto the chat tonight?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:49 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Man, I've been in a "funk" the past couple of weeks. Just no energy, and overall feeling just blah. I haven't had a solid week of being 100% OP since Easter. And of course that's why I'm still around the 192-193 mark. I don't know why I can't get motivated again. I've been giving myself talks, but it's just not sinking in. I know I've come a long way- but I still have a ways to go before I'm happy and comfortable in my own skin- or will that day ever happen?! Well, I exercised some this morning, with much procastination. I did my 1 mile tape and did about 15 minutes of Richard Simmons- I couldn't keep up with his dance moves because I never knew what he was going to do next. I feel so flabby. Tired of being this way- but don't have the motivation to get my butt in gear and quit moping about it. I had a nsa strawberry yogurt with a small apple this morning. But for lunch I ate too much- I had 2(!!) egg sandwiches with nsa bacon. Well, I need to quit complaining and get off this computer.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:55 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Just checking in before heading home. It's been a very productive day work wise.

So far 96 oz of water. Plus what I drink for dinner and later. Planning on getting my walk and wt lifting in tonite too.

Jane, I'm glad you decided to stay. You can do this. Stay on here for support and you will make it though. Really strive to have 3 OP days and you will see that it gets easier. Take Deb's challenge about trying to have 7 OP days this week.You will see some great results and then you will be motivated to keep going. Hope your neck is better soon. That is so annoying.

Deb, Glad your DD's procedure went well. Sure hope he gets feeling better before he starts the chemo. I hope he doesn't have any problems with it. Good idea mixing up your walk/job today.It is always a good idea to hange or exercise so our muscles don't get lax.

Talitha, I think your goal is attainable. Just stick on plan. I have a short snynopsis on the book (3 pages) is you would like me to email it to you until you can get through the book. Also, www.prettyimpressivestuff.com is a great place to go for info too. Don't get upset, Dh will probably lose quicker than you. It's just a man thing. Is Hannah your sister?

Heartmom, You have come a long way. You need to realize that you can do this and what you really want. Don't quit now. Join in on the challenge this week and you can still have 6 Op days. Show yourself you can do this. We believe in you.

My cupboards are bare, so I'm off to the grocery. May have to go before dinner as there is nothing there to eat for dinner.

Have a great evening. Hoping to make it to chat tonight. Good luck on WIW to everyone who dares.

Jackie
Old 05-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #45  

HELLO ALL:

First of all, I do have to say that I feel bad because I do come on here every single day and READ, READ, READ, but I never really post because with 2 young (5 yrs & 10 mos.) children at home, I don't feel like I could say much to everyone. Plus, I'm not much of an authority, YET. So, the only time I really post is when I have questions of my own, which doesn't make me feel very supportive.

With that being said, I want to first say that I am so glad that I have found this woe/wol. If you remember, I came here from Atkins about 3-4 weeks ago. I started Atkins on February 24th and by the end of April I had gone from 152 to hovering between 139-140. I knew I couldn't eat that way another day, so I bought the SB book and found this site, and decided that this is definately something I could really, really do. I am happy to report that this morning I weighed in at 136. I am actually 6 pounds from goal, but may keep going....YIPPEE!!!

And on to a question.....I was at Wild Oats yesterday and found a gourmet peanut butter cookie by Nana's Cookie Company. It said on the package No refined sugars, no hydrogenated oils, no cholesterol, no added salt, no dairy..... It said that they got the great taste by using the natural sweetness of selected fruit juice and whole grains. The nutrition facts show that there are 9 grams of sugar (so I figured these are natural sugars from the juices). I know that the rule is no more than 3 sugars per serving, so this would be an alright snack if I only ate 1/3 of the cookie, right? Or am I incorrect?

Here are the ingredients (what about the starch)?
Organic Whole Wheat Flour, Unsalted peanuts, Fruit Juice, Whole Grain Dextrins (a natural & unmodified starch)???????, Canola Oil, Peanut Flour, Baking Powder (non-aluminum), Natural Flavorings.

And if anyone thinks they are going to come on here and tell me that I can't have this, they better re-think it because it's really yummy!!!!

I enjoy reading up on everyone, and hope to find some more time this summer, when I am not running around every day, to post on a more personal level.

Take care & God Bless.
Closed Thread