Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: When it comes to wearing jewelry, which do you tend to wear most?
Yellow Gold 20 62.50%
White Gold 6 18.75%
Platinum 1 3.13%
Silver 2 6.25%
Costume 1 3.13%
Other 1 3.13%
I don't wear any jewelry 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 02:34 PM   #16  
Undercover Diva

S/C/G: 242/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Diet Peach Tea

YELLOWROSE - Snapple makes a Diet Peach Tea that is VERY good, in case you find yourself wanting to get something at a conveneince store, etc. I buy the Crystal Light brand for making at home. I'm also a big fan of CL Pink Lemonade. I've begun taking that to work with me instead of buying diet cokes. Not sure they're any better for me, but there is no caffiene in lemonade!

TV - Good to see you made it thru the weather too!! I know how you feel. I'm working 2 jobs, both boys are playing baseball, and I'm getting ready to start training for a new job, plus taking care of the house, the bills... and then worrying about getting my truck fixed from the drunk that hit me last Sunday. But posting is the ONLY WAY I seem to be able to stay OP. I quit posting, fell off the wagon, got run over a few times (20 pounds worth!) and now I'm back on the board for a week and have lost about 6 pounds! Amazing what that water intake and getting rid of the FRIES will do for me! Email me sometime, we'll keep each other in line!

VESNA - It's so good to see you again!!! I wondered about you when I came back on the boards. You can get back on track, I know you can!! Although I think you're gorgeous like you are! It's still healthier to eat right!!

I'm off to work... why they are letting ME train my replacement is beyond me. I'm the least experienced clerk there...LOL. But she and I get along well, she's young and outgoing, and I'm outgoing She seems to be catching on well, and when I get her comfortable, I get to move to Dispatch and start my OWN 3 months of training!!

Have a Great Monday Everyone!!! I'm taking grilled chicken salad with cheese cubes and some grapes for a snack to work tonite!! GO ME!!

Bye
Old 05-12-2003, 03:20 PM   #17  

Just a quick post. My daughter and son in law took me to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. I did great on what I ordered...stuffed poblanos, and double beans, no rice. Unfortunately, I ate some chips! I feel so full! groan!

Tonight is going to be another challenge. I have a leadership meeting at the church. I think the meal is spaghetti. I hope there is salad!

YELLOW: I can get agave here for $2.59 at my Whole Foods! I don't know what to ask you to bring! I will let you know if I think of something. I enjoyed talking with you too. I am looking forward to meeting you!

I need to head out in a few minutes to pick up a friend and take her to get her car from the mechanic. What a busy day I have had! Will hopefully be able to get on tonight and catch up.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:32 PM   #18  

Angry Brand New to SB

Hello all!
I'm brand new to SB. I tried reading the book this past weekend. I even got the shopping guide. I was on the Atkins plan about 5 years ago. Great success - lost 25 lbs. Of course, those 25 lbs. are back on now. That's due to 5 years of a happy marriage. Anyway - I'm boring you. I've also tried Weight Watchers - lost 15 lbs. All back! I'm miserable! I'm unhappy with my weight and unhappy with my willpower. Where do I start? From what I have read, I need to rid my house of all sugar. I need to read all the labels carefully and avoid hidden sugar. I'm confused about what carbs are good and what are bad. No potatoes, pasta or white flour products. Any suggestions on breakfast and lunch ideas? Do we not count carbs like on Atkins?
Any suggestions to point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Deane
Old 05-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #19  
Wannabe skinny babe

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have suggestions on finding Agave? My local Whole Foods doesn't carry it.

Not much time for a long post, because I'm swamped at work and need to get my paper written for the week when I get home. Ugh!

On the good side, I've been OP for one solid week now, no cheats! My Saturday weigh-in only shows 1 lb. loss, but I'm guessing I'm not eating enough (duh!). I haven't been hungry, but I know I need to get the calories in. I'm working harder on that this week!

Deb - I'm up for the challenges! I have a 64 oz. mug here at work, so my goal is to get through that each workday. Then I try to have 16 oz. in the morning before work, and 16 oz. after I get home. The exercise will be the problem for me. I need to get up 1/2 hour earlier and put in a tape, if nothing else. Wish me luck!

Jack-K - glad the wedding went so well! I know what you mean about it going by so fast.

Jane - I'd dilly-dallied about with being OP for a while, but then something just clicked (probably my loose brain) You are doing well. Hang in there!

Er, that's all I can remember right now. Forgot to take notes!

ttfn,

Jenn
Old 05-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #20  

Default Interesting article

As I sit waiting for my doctors to call me back about my chronic fatigue!!!! I was on the web and found this article. I thought it was very interesting.

Fatigue -- don't just suffer through it!

Do you run out of energy in the afternoon? Find it hard to get out of bed in the morning? Wonder why you need more sleep than ever before?

Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of perimenopause. Many women attribute it to age as though it were inevitable. It isn't! You just need to understand the underlying causes.

So many factors increase fatigue in perimenopause. Sleep deprivation is the most obvious. Hot flashes and night sweats interrupt your sleep. Stress tends to be highest in mid-life, and stress alone, or the adrenal exhaustion it leads to over time, cause sleep disturbances. Thyroid function and melatonin synthesis, both important to normal sleep, are often affected by the changes in endocrine function in perimenopause.

Absent sleep deprivation, diet is the leading culprit. The low-fat, high-carbohydrate approach followed by most women is a metabolic mistake. Sugars and simple carbohydrates release high levels of insulin, which quickly leads to low blood sugar – the chemical basis of fatigue. A woman on this regime then must have a snack or caffeine (or both) to lift her energy level, and the unhealthy cycle begins again. Millions of Americans have over time become insulin-resistant, a condition that leads to diabetes, heart disease and obesity.

It’s a myth that artificial sweeteners are not as harmful as sugar. Just as they taste sweet on the tongue, they emulate sugar in the blood, leading to the same release of insulin. But since there is no extra blood sugar, the insulin works on the sugar available, which reduces energy further. Most “diet” sodas contain caffeine to offset this “down” effect, but caffeine triggers the release of adrenaline, which further upsets the insulin-sugar mechanism.

Ridding the body of sugars and simple carbohydrates monopolizes your metabolism, keeping it from performing other vital tasks. That process also consumes critical nutrients, especially B vitamins, that are needed for healthy cellular function. Most of us don’t realize how many sugars and simple carbs we consume.

The lack of healthy fat and protein is a related issue. Absent those nutrients, a woman's body can’t achieve hormonal balance, and fatigue is one result. Estrogen, for example, is synthesized from cholesterol.

Fatigue robs you of the energy you need to make the changes in your life called for in perimenopause. It also puts pressure on your work, your home life, and your relationships -- in short, it creates stress while making you less able to cope with it.

So – if you suffer from low energy, look first at sleep deprivation. If that isn’t your problem, examine your diet. Many women eat and drink too much of the wrong things, and not enough of the right things.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:58 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Well the day got away from me quickly. Lots of catching up to do.
Don't know if I'll get my exercise in tonight. Friends of our start softball season and DH likes to go watch and then doesn't know how to leave afterwards. Maybe I will walk up there (3 miles+).

Got to run.

Zanne, I bet your parents are glad they didn't have any more kids. They wouldn't have any body parts left. Good luck selling your property.

jane, I think you hit the nail on the head. What is it you really want? Only YOU can decide. Do you want to lose wt or eat something that will be gone in an instant? Keep some legal snacks around for those TOM cravings and hunger pangs.

Deb, Way to be a leader. Getting out there getting in your exercise even though it is so hot. Send me some of tht heat. It is only 65 here and windy. Almost cold. Congrats on such a legal Mother's Day dinner. Wish I could say the same. My meal was legal, but the bread and margaritta was not. Don't think the DJ would give a partial refund. It was a reduced price since he was a friend of the groom (don't you think he would have known his name if he were?) strange. Yes we will use the napkins, but I just hate that I forgot to put them out. Believe me. I criend like a baby during 8th grade graduations, high school and college graduations. It was a miracle that I didn't at the wedding. Glad you are enjoying the Yoga. I have a tape at home I need to try some time.

Vesnoid, try to hang in here. It is the best way to keep on track. Sounds like your exercise is getting going pretty good.

Beth, 5 days OP. Awesome. Keep up the good work. 6 lbs is great. I hope WIW is even better for you. Way to go on being prepared for work tonight. I'm sure those legal snacks will give you day 6 OP.

Lyn, How exciting that you get to meet with Monet on your trip. Have fun and take some pics.

TV, Glad you foudn time to drop in and say hi.

Monet, Remember our 7 day challenge and that will keep you OP tonight.

Harley Grammy, Welcome to SB and our board. Been inthe same shoes you have. Have actuall gottent o goal with WW 2 times. SB is something you can live with the rest of your life and not worry about putting it back on. So easy to do too. You only count starch carbs, which are ww bread, cereal, ww pasta, brown rice. 3 are allowed per day. You can have fruits and veggies too. So much better than Atkins and better for you too. Good luck. Keep on this board for support.

Jenn, congrats on being Op for a whole week. You can do this. It's smooth sailing now.

have a great OP night.

So far, 51 oz of water. Will get the rest in tonight.

Jackie
Old 05-12-2003, 05:00 PM   #22  

Good Afternoon All

I planned on doing some planting this morning but woke up to a rainy day so had to postpone it. My ds and dil bought me a rose bush for Mother's day. It's a Hybrid Tea called Peace. Pale gold with pink edges. Hope tomorrow is a better day so I can get it planted. I also got two azaleas, one from my dd and one from my ds. This is a 'plant in a bag' which I want to hang on my fence. Had a good day yesterday. Visited with my ds and his family then went to his mil for appetizers in the afternoon. We had barbecued chicken and shrimp and veggies - and a glass of red wine. In the evening my dil's Mom and I took the two grandkids out to dinner. I had rotisserie chicken breast with a garden salad and coleslaw. On the drive there I was thinking to myself that I would order the french fries for a change and I was really savouring the taste of them in my mind. But before I ordered I decided against them and went for the two salads instead. So I just stole a few from the two kids - cheating I know but better than a plateful. I also didn't eat the bun. Gave that to my gd.

Deb - I'll be in on the challenges. Not sure how I will do with the water. Don't always manage to get in enough but willl make more effort this week. Exercise is no problem as long as I can count badminton and line dancing!

Jack-K - Glad to hear that the wedding was a success. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. I'm sure you will find some use for those napkins.

Jane - We all have that feeling sometimes that we would like to eat anything we like but we know that we have to make some sacrifices if we want to see results on this woe. You talk about the 'hungry horrors' coming on. If you are really hungry that early in the morning then maybe you are not eating enough at breakfast time ( I'm assuming you had breakfast.) And if you are not eating enough that could be a reason why you are so tired.

Vesna - Sorry to hear you are under the sugar spell again. Just hop back on that wagon. Have fun roller-blading.

Beth - That's great news that you are back op and down 6 lbs. WTG.

Talitha and Harley Grammy - Welcome.

Jenn in MN - A one pound loss is better than gaining. Take every little bit you can.

Have to go and see how my pot roast is doing. I have a roast of pork cooking in cranberries and apple juice. Made this once before with cranberry sauce and it was yummy.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:17 PM   #23  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Thought I was coming home with my 2 kids, ended up with 5! MICHAEL has 3 friends here, funny thing is, he and his friend ALEX are fast asleep in his room, his friend SLY is sleeping out on the couch in the family room and his friend SEIKI (I'm SURE I'm not spelling that name right) is watching a movie in the family room. Needless to say, I'll be ordering pizza for the masses tonight

Well, my Dad is BACK in the hospital. My DM just called. He went to see a Dr. today because his leg wasn't getting any better and was causing him a lot of discomfort. They decided to do a proceedure on the vein where there seems to be a blood clot that's not moving and probably causing some of the trouble. My Mom says it's a bit risky, but out of the 3 things they could do, was the lesser of all evils. She doesn't know how long this is suppose to take, so she'll be calling me back later with updates. He'll be in the hospital a few days once again, but then again, they said a few days last time and it turned in to 2 weeks. Just hoping this will all go well and provide him the relief he surely deserves. He's been really NASTY since all of this has been happening, and I sorta don't blame him, he doesn't like being incapacitated at all.

MONET, I wonder why there's such a price difference between WHOLE FOODS up there and down here. They are selling the agave for $4.69 - highway robbery, not that I need any-still stocked up well on my end. Can't wait for you and ROSE to meet - you'll love her, as she will you

HARLEY, Seems you do actually understand the main idea of SB. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how you'll learn. The book can be a bit confusing and contradictory. A good book to see if your library has is by MONTIGNAC called EAT YOURSELF SLIM, this book will better help explain some of the things not clear in the SB book, but then again, we can tell you those things as well, many which are on the RECOMMENDED READING BOARD here on our little area of the 3FC'S site. SB is nothing like Atkins, though SB does recommend at least 40% of your daily intake come from carbs, but doesn't limit carbs like Atkins does-you do NOT even want to think about induction, ketosis or anything of the sort. One website I highly recommend newbies read is: http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters Breakfast and lunch shouldn't be so hard-what types of foods do you like to eat. Breakfast, you have cereal, eggs, muffins, ww English muffins, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc., really, you can find a variety of things to eat. Lunch and dinner should be a breeze as well. Just continue to ask questions, we're more than happy to help answer them!!!!

JENN, have you asked them if they would order the agave for you? There are sights on the web, but the shipping ends up killing you in the long run, at least I think so. If you need the SKU number so they could see if they can get it, let me know and I'll send it to you. Ask them if they could get SWEET CACTUS FARMS, though I do remember Trish mentioning a new brand out on the market, though I can't remember the name Keep up the great work of staying OP, but def. make sure you are eating enough or the weight will just hold, and stubbornly so!

JANE, very good artcile, thanks for posting it!

JACKK, oh, don't I wish I could just box this heat up and ship it to you, it would be my pleasure. I'd take your weather any day, minus the tornados that have been around, you can just keep those - aren't I sweet?!? Darn, I'm not going to let you beat me with the water - haven't gotten in that much, but now you are going to push me to get in some more!!!!

ROSALIE, of COURSE you can count both badminton and line dancing, that sure does count as exercise! Sounds like you had a nice Mother's Day and the rose bush sounds beautiful. I have to agree, a few fries snatched off the plate is better than having a plateful of your own

Okay, I'm outta here!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 05-12-2003, 06:15 PM   #24  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING ALL!!!

Thought I better check in...pain is no better..went again for PT today and they used a "tens" unit on me...felt better for a while, but the pain is back...stopped at the drug store and got some TIGER BALM...it's feels so good and is going down into the muscle.

DEBBIE....GOT MY PACKAGE TODAY!!! Thanks!!! I'll use them correctly....I promise...
Tell my Sweetie....THANKS for my goodie...I'll put the key to my heart on the ring!

JACKIE...glad everything went off ok...WE WANT PICTURES!!!!

ROSE...Y'all be careful on your trip!

WELCOME HARLEY!!!! Glad to have you...you'll be glad you came!

BETH...CONGRATS for staying OP

TV

ROSALIE

JENN

I've gotta go..can't sit here any longer!

BOB
Old 05-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #25  

Default Water Challenge

I've just finished my eighth glass of water for to-day. I've been guzzling and running for the potty ever since I got home. . Probably have a couple more before bedtime.

Marie.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:47 PM   #26  

Deb - Sorry to hear that your dd is in hospital again. Hope they can do something to fix the problem this time.

BOB - Hope those 222's do something for that pain.

Off to do some reading.

Marie.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:55 PM   #27  
Wannabe skinny babe

Hi everyone, another quick check-in before I get to writing that paper.

Bad news - DH's van broke down, so I had to leave work early and have it towed. We're borrowing a vehicle from his mom, but I am so bummed. Just when we thought we might have some $ saved up, this happens.

Good news - I'm still OP. Stressed and tempted, but still OP. That van's not worth me undoing everything I've worked so hard for this week.

Water Challenge - I got my water in! Drank all 64 oz. at work, plus about 8 this A.M. and probably more tonight. Yay!

Exercise Challenge - Er, we'll see. Maybe go for a walk after dinner. It's beautiful here today!

Gotta run, pot roast is almost done. Nothing like coming home from work and having the house smell all yummy and the crockpot doing the hard work. AND I put cabbage in with the potatoes and carrots, so I can have an OP veggie and not the starch. Double Yay!

Sorry, being so stressed financially, I've got to have something positive to focus on, right?

ttfn,

Jenn
Old 05-12-2003, 07:44 PM   #28  

Default Question

Deb - I have never heard of Sheltons Pot Pies. Are they SB legal if so were can you get them?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:09 PM   #29  

Default Hello

Debbie-thank you so much for the encouragement. I really feel like this diet will improve my health, and give me more energy. I do not even have the book yet so I am going on what my sister has told me. I noticed thast the diet is similar to what I have been doing on my own since Selah (my baby) and I have already droped from 210 when I found out I was prego to 189 last Thurs. I think the book will give me the structure that I am missing, because I really have no idea what I am doing. I have just been making my own bread and eating WW pasta and tons of vegetables and soy products. Can I still use soy milk instead of regular milk? I'll get the book tomorrow and work on my eating schedule to make sure that I am eating enough!

So here is a little bit about me. I live in Marietta,GA just 15 miles NW of Atlanta. I'm 25 years old. I have fought with my weight since I was 13 years old, when I was anorexic and bulemic. Unfortunately, I have this way of either obsessing about my wieght or ignoring it, so I am usually either a size 6 or a size 16, but never a healthy in between. I am trying to treat this diet as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I just want to be healthy and teach Sealah to be healthy from the beginning. Travis (my husband) wants to do the diet, but says he needs 4 svgs of starch a day. Do youthink he will still lose weight?

I was homeschooled my whole life, and I have 6 brothers and 3 sisters. I'm #4 in line. I usually have lots to say about myself, but I can't think of anything. Right now I am working part time doing Market Research Studies and Full time being a mom. Ummm.... I speak Spanish because I lived in South America for almost a year working with Street Kids. I jsut can't think of anything else interesting. Oh well.

Ok so the 3 challenges are water, exercise and What? I didn't get the last one. What is OP??

I am really looking forward to getting to know you all. Do you have bios that I can look at on everyone to catch up on all of the fun? And how can I post a picture with my name?

Jen in MN- I know what you mean about the car trouble. We have only been married 2 years and planned to wait another year to have a baby. Apparently, God thought we were ready NOW, and we couldn't be happier. It's been a bumpy ride though. We got a really gread deal on a Passat 2 years ago but the engine just blew in Feb, so we only have one car. The warranty was up in Oct. and it is going to be $5000 to fix!!! In the meantime, we are already almost buckled by the payments since I stopped working. It's really tough, and I expect I may have to get a job soon, but I want to be with Selah as long as possible.

Anyway, I only have the computer late at night because Travis takes it to work, but I will try to get on every day.

Talitha

Last edited by Talitha; 05-12-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:22 PM   #30  

Ummmm, what is Agave? If everyone's talking about it it must me something I could use!!
Closed Thread