Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #106  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

No...I think the intensity of your routine is what ultimately bulks you up. One or even 2 shakes of this a day wouldn't do it.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #107  
Rose

Popping in to wish everybody a great weekend. I think we may stay dry for the 1st time in weeks.

I'm going to the movies today - gotta resist eating too much popcorn, I can seriously eat a large tub (slathered in butter)if it is put in front of me.

I have a pretty busy weekend singing for a wedding tomorrow and 2 church services on Sunday. Keeping busy should keep me on track eating I will have to fit in the exercise.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #108  

Just popping in for a quick hello. All is fine on the home front. I'm having a hard time wanting to eat today. Ugh. But I'm fighting it. Maybe I'll go have some cheese or some peanut butter. We just bought a new lap top I can't wait till it gets here. Well better run... Have a great week end.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #109  

Well, I unloaded the kiln and sold the canisters. I am excited. I did not charge her full price for them because two had flaws, but she did not care.

Looks like we are going to have a crew for dinner. Sigh. I better go get working on it. Will check in later!

BOB: I have not unloaded the mugs yet, but they look ok from the lid!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #110  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GOOD FRIDAY BUSTER'S!!!

I got off a little early today as we only had one Doc in the office. He was on call last night and didn't get any sleep...his arse was dragging and his eyes blood red...I told him to go home!

JACKIE...I agree with MONET...I go to a DO and they are more investigative than an MD...If the need for the ENDO arises, then you can be referred and get in a lot quicker. Have a good time this weekend...sounds like a busy one!

MONET....HOW DID THEY TURN OUT???? I'M EXCITED!!!

I'm off to find some supper...I made Kate a hot roast beef sandwich...Breakfast sounds good to me though...I'll be back...

BOB
Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #111  
sef

Hi all,

Yep I'm still alive, just barely! Since the races last Saturday night I have not stopped, there has been 11 things in seven days. I am pooped! But I enjoyed all I did, so it is worth it, I think.

The races just about did me in. We ate at a place outside of Biloxi called The Shed because that's what the building is, with unmatched tables and chairs, upright paper towel holders down the length of the table, BBQ can be sloppy. Food was good. One lady complained because it wasn't refined enough for her taste. Then back tracked to the racetrack. $15 to get in. The guys driving our carpool vehicles let us off at the gate, but we still had a little trek to the bleachers. I climbed up about five tiers and said that was enough. DS had a couple of nice LSU bleacher cushions with backs, that saved me from too much discomfort sitting. The minister used the second one, he has no padding on his butt! I was enjoying myself but the lady who griped about the Shed was griping about the cars being noisy, mud being splashed (wet track), too many redneck types around, etc, etc, etc. Finally she said she was going to go sit in the car in the field that passed for a parking lot. Couldn't have her doing that, so we all went home. $15 for 45 minutes!! Talking with everyone the next day after church and we all were enjoying ourselves and were sorry to leave.

Let's see, church gathering after church on Sunday. Three Joyful Noise entertainments, one practice, 2 NH usual visit, docctor visit, movie, did do three loads of wash today. Tomorrow have to make cookies for a church reception Sunday for the choir leader who is leaving after seven years for another position, Vacuuming and dusting will just have to wait!

Friend and I saw Hairspray this afternoon. Not an Oscar contender but a happy movie, everybody was talking, laughing and smiling about it as we filed out. We enjoyed it. So if you like bouncy music and laughs go see it.

SOLLY: Hope the CT goes well. I don't like not knowing what's happening so would want a CT, just to prove that it is the meds and at little too much imbibing on vacation.

BOB: Only working a short time and already you can hold down the firt by yourself,,,and even send to doc home! When I was working I used to cook big meals on the weekend to allow for frozen TV dinners and then would
have something on hand when I came home too tired to fix anything, Takes a little while to get a variety on hand but easy to keep it going. Is there an Amish Community in your area? Or just food places that serve Amish food? I love Amish dishes and do a lot of PA Dutch cooking. We were close to Lancaster, PA a main hub for Amish and Mennonites.

ROSEMARY: 10# WOW!! What movie did you see?

MONET: Always busy!! You are so talented. Plus a wealth of information. You are so helpful to all of us.

TONI: It is hard to fight the munchies. When I am tired or upset I have a terrible fight with the munchies. I don't have junk food on hand, but can manage to eat too much of a good thing.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Yes, I think I missed DISNEY, welcome aboard. Don't be afraid about asking questions. We learn from each other.

Got to go put the feet up.

May good things happen, Shirley
Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #112  
To The Top!!!

S/C/G: 226/218/160

Height: 5'6''

Just popping in to introduce myself. I'm new here My name is Stephanie and I'm from S. Mississippi. My DH and I recently started the SB diet. We are both over weight and seriously need to do something. We stay on the go and have neglected our health for the past 5 years. Stress is a big factor in our weight gain, but Southern fried & fast food is the major culprit. He is a bread/cracker/biscuit guy and I am a sugar lover obsessed with candy and icecream. Watching his dad struggle daily with diabetes has made us realize, at almost 30, we need to make a life change.

This is not the worst diet, but we struggle with snacks and remembering what we can/can not eat. We are finishing up on our 2nd week. Week 1 went well for me, as I lost 6 lbs. This week I was sick Tues. with some GI issues and got down to 218, but this AM I was back to 221. I guess I lost a lot of fluid when I was ill.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you fine folks here. I know I'm going to have some questions, so I hope you are prepared *grin* Currently, I am very interested in getting into all the recipes you guys have here. I really want to start making my own bread. Any tips or insight would be wonderful!

Talk to y'all later! Take care

Edited to add:
SEF- The Shed is quite an experience, even for us UNrefined folk! LOL Maybe you need to take her to the new Emeril's fish house the next time y'all are this way since she isn't a "Shed Head". Surely she wouldn't complain about that! Sorry your trip was cut short. I hate when everyone's time is spoiled for the sake of one person with problems. What track did ya go to?

Last edited by Southern Miss; 07-27-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #113  

I got the kiln opened, and sold the canisters. There was a slight crack in the lid of one, but it was not structural and she wanted it anyway, so I sold that one and the other one with a crack on the knob of the lid for half price. We were both happy with that. The glaze turned out interesting. It is still very persnickety, but it was ok. I will post a picture of them.

Dinner tonight was steak and spinach salad and NSA ice cream for dessert. We had a couple of James' high school friends here for dinner. Nice guys. It was good to see them.

SOUTHERN MISS: It is nice to have you join us! You are in good southern company! SEF, BOB, FILLISE, THINWITHIN, and myself are all in the southeast. TECHWIFE is our token Yankee! I haven't made much bread lately, but I find one the most important things to consider is the flour. I used to be able to grind my own at Harry's/Whole Foods here, and it made awesome bread. I think King Arthur would be second best. I used some essential wheat gluten in it to help it rise nicely. Feel free to ask away! The only stupid question is one you don't ask! We newbies!

BOB: The mugs turned out fine...I just need to touch up a few pin holes in the glaze on the orange ones though and re-fire. It is the kind of glaze you brush on, and it is devilishly hard to get it even. I was afraid this would happen. So, next load I will touch them up and refire. I hope you like them! You need to send me your address in a PM or email so I can ship them to you. I will probably do so when I get back week after next.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarahscanistersetless.jpg (34.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #114  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI EVERYONE ~ Well, we had nice rain this morning and semi-sun & clouds for the rest of the day ~ yeah! It's a nice 67F out there, so we have all the winda's open ... just did laundry, housework, and made some homemade bran muffins today while DH was at the cottage site; they have the whole thing closed in now!

We had cod nuggets tonight with coleslaw salad, tomatoes, and new potatoes w/skins on. Lunch had soup and a w/w sandwich lots of lettuce from the salad garden by the door; so handy. Did a bit of walking outside today; it was a nice day for me. My sugars are steady as she goes; and I am very grateful for this.

~ SOUTHERN MISS ~ you are a very pretty lady; good for you and DH getting a handle on the lifestyle changes needed for good health now. Wish I knew 10+ years ago what I know now!

TONI ~ I'm not on Atkins; I think that was Rosemary. I only chose the name Rosebud (from a movie) cuz the name I wanted was taken already. I have a list of standby snacks, but my latest trick is to eat my dinner later (to avoid late-night munchies); then if I am still hungry I start with the proteins, cheese, lean meat, yogurt, milk, etc. My plan does allow me fruit and snacks, but I make the portions small.

SOLLY ~ ^PRAYERS^ for that test and your liver; hope all goes well.

BOB ~ keepin' to grindstone is difficult; but I really believe that perseverance is key; don't beat yourself up for the mistakes. Just do your best each day; eat what you like, but cut the portions down for now. I don't eat only veggies; I am not a vegetarian (although I love veggies; I can fill 2/3 of my plate with different veggies and be very contented ~ LOL). I choose lean meats BUT we note the serving sizes for things like pasta, rice, tators, etc.

I eat what I like and what I love the most; ie I love steak and mushrooms & onions, so I have that at least once a week now. I healthify our menu the best I can, but trust me, the food tastes good; and DH wouldn't have it any other way and neither would I. Start fresh tomorrow; one meal at a time and one day at a time; make HEALTHY your new maxim!

SHIRLEY ~ boy, your one busy lady ... phew, I got tired just reading it ~ LOL!

MO ~ and you are too; just chugging out that pottery!

HELLO TO EVERYONE ELSE ~ hope you all have a lovely weekend; take good care ~ ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-27-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #115  

Hello everyone,
I don't know if any of you remember me posting a few months back. I sort of got sidetracked, but I am ready to start over. I hope you don't mind me rejoining your group.
I do have a question about carrots. I have the Shoppers Guide, and there is no mention of carrots in either the acceptable list or unacceptable list. Thanks!

Hope you all enjoy your day!
Ali
Old 07-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #116  
Goddess

Morning everyone!

I'm enjoying my coffee and yogurt before heading off to church this morning. I hope everyone is well in SB land!

Monet--the little jar is beautiful and perfect to use as a prayer jar. I tell so many people that I will keep them in my prayers that I needed a way to keep track. I write their name on the jar and when I go through it, I remember for whom I need to be praying. I think you could sell more jars like that specifically for that purpose!

BOB--we are coming down to the last month before football season. Where is Gator? SEC media days were in Birmingham this week. It was ALL Saban, ALL the time! Ick!

SEF--The Shed sounds like my kind of place! I laughed at the "unrefined" comment. Apparently that lady doesn't know that the more run down, the better the BBQ!

Solly--Sounds like you've been covered up at work.

I can't say that the scale has started to move yet, but I am feeling better.

Susan
Old 07-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #117  

Hey everyone! I could not fall asleep last night so I got back up and researched cuttlefish/squid for an hour before going back to bed. I got a pound of cuttlefish at the market yesterday and wanted to make sure I could fix them interchangeably with squid. I want to make a Chinese style fried squid with them. I found that many fisherman prefer the flavor of the cuttlefish to squid. Yay!

I slept fairly well once I did fall asleep but woke at my usual time. I got up for 30 minutes, then went back to bed. I slept two more hours before Tom woke me up with espresso. I just got out of the pool after a 40 minutes water aerobic session. Unfortunately, I felt kind of 'strange' so I checked my blood sugar and found it was dangerously low. I am sitting here trying to recover now, in my wet bathing suit. I don't feel well enough to stand up and move around yet.

FILLISE: I am so glad you like the jar! I think that is a good idea about marketing them for that. If you know anyone who wants one, let me know. I can make more. The lily has a nice religious symbolism to it too, but I can use roses, or other flowers. Hey, I will even give you a commission if you sell some for me! As for Gator, I know she was lurking, but just stopped posting last year. I have tried to encourage her to come back, but she says she will and never does.

ALEKA: I remember you,and of course you are welcome! Welcome back! Pull up a chair and join the conversation! As for carrots, the old book said they were not ok, but more recent research has shown that the gycemic index of carrots is not as bad as originally thought. They are ok to eat now. The GI is lower raw, but even cooked they are ok.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #118  
sef

Hi all.

Nothing exciting today. Went to church, took no sugar added cookies for the reception. I had said they didn't need cookies with a huge double layer sheet cake, but turned out they did. The two ladies who picked up the cake and brought it to church dropped it! It was so big it took two to lift it! They were so upset, a good half of the cake fell to the floor, so there was some left. Any way the diabetics were glad there was an alternative.

Came home and took a nap. Don't know why I am so sore, am not really sleepy, just bone tired. The nap wasn't a real sleeper but I did have my legs well elevated.

Aside from that have done nothing all day except watch a movie. Fortunately this week I have a light schedule.

STEPHANIE: First let me say WELCOME!! Any new diet plan takes getting used to and it is hard giving up the snacks and goodies we had been indulging in every day or night. It becomes easier as you progress. I think many of us would tell you we had withdrawal symptoms.

We went to the South MS Raceway. I know it is across from a flea market on I 10. We had to retrace our way back from the Shed. I think it msut have been about 15-20 minutes from the Shed.

The lady who complained so much......it was very uncharacteristic of her. She is a woman of strong opinions but not usually contrary. She is really nice and is one of the ladies who are also in our stitch group. She must have been having a bad day, but still, being the unkind person that I am, I could have shook her. Poor thing, bless her heart, she is one of the ladies that dropped the cake.

I am a transplanted Yankee from PA. Now live in LA.

MONET: Nice that the lady still wanted the canisters. We perfectionists have a hard time. I am never satisfied unless it is right. One time my DH saw me ripping out a couple of rows and asked why he couldn't see anything wrong. I told him the problem and he said "who would know?" I said "I would!"

I too get up in the middle of the night and do something that I hope will let me sleep when I return to bed.

Thank goodness you were able to function enough to handle your "strange" feeling. To me it is a bit un-nerving when it happens. You seem to be so matter-of-fact about it.

ROSEBUD: THe sled from Citizen Kane? I am not going to be so busy this week. The hardest thing is pacing yourself. It is easier for things at home, but activities that involve others have to be done when they have to be.

ALEKA: Welcome back. Some of us go missing for a while amd we are always glad to see their return.

FILLISE: THe BBQ was great. I thought the place was a blast! I know what you mean about the pounds not moving. I seem to have hit a plateau, but I know one morning I will step on the one eyed monster and it will show a lower number!

Time to put my feet up, for some reasons my lower left leg keeps getting puffy. I know I'm not fat, just fluffy, but puffy? That's a whole different game!

May good things happen, Shirley
Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #119  
Rose

What a weekend.

SEF: We went to see Chuck & Larry not the best flick but it was my daughters pick. Sorry to say I didn't keep my hands out of the pop corn <sigh>

Ate otherwise well this weekend, 1 lb regain showed up on the scale today.

QUESTION: I cant figure out how to update my personal profile on this site. I need to change my weight. Can anyone help me?

Instead of exercise yesterday we opted to help my elderly aunt with her yard. Over 4 hours of mowing and pulling weeds. Oh the Pain! Every muscle in my body hurts today.

Rosemary
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #120  

Good morning everyone,
Thank you for the welcome back. Monet, I am glad to know that carrots are acceptable. It seems that a lot of frozen vegetables have carrots in them and this will be able to give me more of a variety.

A friend and I walk 3 miles Mon. thru Fri. We had been doing 3 1/2, but in the FL heat and humidity, we're wiped out by the time we get home. We're waiting until the weather gets a little cooler, then go back to our 3 1/2 miles. This morning we got rained on. I just love these hit or miss showers.

Rosemary, the movie Chuck & Larry looks so funny when they advertise it on TV. I love Adam Sandler.

Sef, I'm a transplanted Yankee too. I'm from NH now living in FL.

I was reading through some of the posts. BOB, I see that you're in Sarasota. I live in North Port. DH & I moved here 3 yrs. ago and I'm still trying to get used to the daily thunder storms in the summer months. I don't think I have ever seen such lightning.

I hope all of you have a great day.
Ali
Closed Thread