Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #61  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Got a half a day off....no DOC in the office today!

I was so excited when I went outside this morning to get the paper....my GRASS WAS GROWING AND SUDDENLY GREEN!! We're supposed to get more of the same

I've got to take KATE to the CHIRO this afternoon, so I better get cracking!

I'll be back a little later!

BOB
Old 07-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #62  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

Default Rain go away..my daily report.

Hi folks,

Rain is back and they said it will stick around for 3 days off and on! I much prefer walking outdoors than exercising at home and I feel like I get a better workout that way too.

Feeling a bit crappy because I switched my diabetes meds to glucophase which can cause tummy upset, nausea, the poops...hehe and I have all 3 side effects...lucky me.

Eating on course, resisted carbs at a farewell brunch. Resisted a fully restocked department candy dish at work, filled with hersheys treasures!

Oh yes and I am happy to report that my husband has transfered his scale addiction to our dog & cat. They now sit on the scale and stare at it in worship, just like he does
Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #63  

Quote:
Oh yes and I am happy to report that my husband has transfered his scale addiction to our dog & cat. They now sit on the scale and stare at it in worship, just like he does

It is raining here too...off and on all day. Everytime I start to think about getting in the pool, it starts again. Today was crazy..made dinner for a young couple with a new baby. I just got back from taking it. Now to fix OUR dinner...same chicken casserole and some green beans.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #64  

OK, OK I'm here! I have excuses too! Doesn't eveybody? Diet wise I have just been maintaining. I would love to lose more, but just can't seem to find the willpower. Maybe focusing more on the diet/weightloss side of it would help some of us oldies as well!!

Sean is at band camp this week, so I've been doing a lot of driving back and forth to his high school to pick him up. I think I told you guys earlier, but they are doing music from the Broadway musical "Wicked". (the untold story of the witches of Oz) They are doing so well with it already, and it's only Tuesday!! Their first scrimmage, game is August 24, so Friday night football, here we come!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM   #65  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI EVERYONE ~

BOB ~ The menu book is called " EAT & STAY SLIM " and was written by the American Diabetic Association; printed by the publishers of Better Homes & Gardens. I have to admit that it's quite old ~ and, I purchased it thru the mail many moons ago; probably the only place would be a library (a very old and big one ~ LOL). I still get it out now and then when I need some ideas, or to check food exchanges quickly.

SEF ~ I've worked in every department; as a health care aide, laundress, housekeeper, and kitchen aide/cook. Worked in two larger NH's and two private style homes (like group homes). One was a large Victorian house that served up to twenty residents; it was really nice and my mother worked there as well.

MONET ~ I still haven't been to the library to check for a copy of SB yet; I'm sure they would have one though (I'm just subbing for now). I'm sorry to hear you've been having troubles lately; esp, when you work so hard, and swim so often.

HELLO FILLISE ~ So sorry to hear about your mom; we've experienced a lot of cancer in our family too right up to this year (thankfully most survived; but we did lose one sweet Auntie with second round). ^PRAYERS^ for your mom and family. Emotional eating is a challenge for me too; my nemesis, I guess; but I hope this can be conquered; WE SHALL OVERCOME ~ LOL!

ABOUT THE CAKE ~ thankfully that is only a once or twice a year deal (it was a very small piece and my sugars were fine the next day. We don't eat dessert very much; usually just fruit (occas. baked apples or light crisp for me; skim milk pudding for DH; vanilla ice cream). We now only have small measured servings; and these kind of things aren't a big problem for us cuz I try not to have lots of baked stuff in the house. I feel for those who have kids and spouses who bring lots of goodies into the house.

Like many people, we have to stay away from the nachos, chippies, nuts, and popcorn; DH used to be a big cookie monster (his weight is fine, but he only has them rarely now). We don't eat fast food much anymore either; we've made a lot of changes in our food and lifestyle choices; but it takes a lot longer to take the weight off than to put it on; esp now that we're older.

When I was younger, it was easier to stay away from that kind of stuff; I can't have cookies or munchie stuff in the house, cuz I can't stop at one. So, we try to keep it out of the house all together, but it is hard. I have a long way to go; and I know this is going to take awhile to get right, but everyday I get up and try my best.

My father's back up to work on his new cottage and DH is excited to help him. We've had nice weather and moderate temps with some rain; DH says too much, but I don't mind it too much; better than roasting @ 104F. Look at me ~ gab, gab, gab.

ANYWAYS, better go for now, as it's getting very late; take good care everyone. ROSEBUD.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning!

Man I was exhausted last night. I guess getting back in routine from vacation takes awhile on all accounts.

Still haven't gotten up and walked this week. Maybe tomorrow????

The scale was only down 2 pounds this morning. I was so disappointed.

Monet, I hope you can get your BS regulated. If carbs are the problem, then away with them you must. You are such a good cook, you won't even miss them. I went looking for material to make Fruit a blanket last night. Luckily, I can make mine in a night or two.

Bob, :yeah: for the half day off. It's nice to get time to catch up on things at home.

Sarose: I laughed at the visual of your dog and cat sitting on the scale. I can't imagine my DD's dogs doing that. Sorry your meds are giving you problems. Look at the bright side, maybe the side affects will help in your wt loss efforts.

Thin, good to see you back. Just when you think things will slow down in the fall, you remember all the other things like band that keep you running. One day at a time or one meal at a time. You can do this.

Rosebud, Seems like you have a good handle on controlling your diabetes. It amazes me at the people with that disease that eat anything and everything. I don't think they realize how serious that disease can be. I'm like you, I can't keep anything bad in the house or I will eat the whole thing. I really have a problem with protion control.

I may not be here tomorrow. I have a meeting first thing, lunch with a friend, a 2:00 meeting and a 4:00 doctor's appt. But will definately be here Friday morning.

Oh, say a little prayer for me. My dr appt is with my oncologist. I dread this appt. Scares me to death. Even though I know everything is ok, I worry that one time it won't be. I dreamed about it all night last night. They are planning on switching my meds and the one they will give me causes a lot of bone and joint pain. That on top of my RA could be a problem. I sure hope not. Maybe I will be able to lose some wt now b/c the Tamoxifen makes you gain. Hoping the new one does not.

Take care, have a great day.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #67  

Morning! I slept pretty well this morning, and my bg was good. I think I will take a walk since Tom shocked the pool last night.

SOLLY: I will be praying for you. I can imagine how nerve wracking it is to be anticipating that appointment. Here is to hoping that the new meds work well with NO side effects, except great weight loss!

ROSEBUD: Boy can I relate on the chips and munchies. I am one who would do MUCH better if they were not constantly tempting me. I try very hard not to eat any, but just seeing them makes me looks for something legal to replace them. You know? I have family members who live here that are able to go out and buy this stuff, and then think I should just be able to leave it all alone. I think I gain just thinking about it!

THIN: Ah, band again! Where did the summer go? You know we still really ought to plan a time to meet up. It would be fun. Do you need to go in to school early to set up your new clinic?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #68  
Goddess

Hi all!

It feels good to be back. I'm getting back on track with eating. I've at least stayed away from the fast food joints this week. That alone is a big step. Kroger had Lean Cuisines on sale 5 for $10.00 so I bought five and put them in the freezer at work for lunch. I really like their salmon with WW pasta. It's not all SB legal, but it beats a cheeseburger and fries by a mile!

Solly--Sounds like you had a great time on vacation. Those drinks will really do it to you, but it sounds like you are on track now.

BOB--The excitement is building around here. They are installing a new HD jumbotron in the stadium--Woo Hoo!

Missy--You look great! When is your due date? Saban mania has sure gripped the Alabama faithful. You'd think he was the second coming.

Monet--I finally sat down to pay bills and will put your check in the mail this morning.

Rosemary--I think I'd have to shoot hubby for losing weight way faster than me! Either that or I'd be slipping extra butter into his food! heh.heh.heh.

Thin--you will be back in "one"derland before you know it!

Time to go to work. I hope everyone has a good Op day!

Susan
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #69  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

Default Switching Addictions

Rain in the forcast for the next 4 days. Last night we actually drove to the walking track in the pouring rain and sat there for 20 minutes praying it would stop and we weren't the only ones parked! It stopped long enough to get in our 4 laps. Is that crazy or what, we were determined to get in that workout. Is it a new addiction to exercise, or the fear that not exercising even one day will lead to a lb on the scale?

I'm happy to have my DH as a partner in diet and exercise (even if he is losing faster than me) Now he has been on extended leave from work due to a toe amputation and he is scheduled to go back to work this Saturday. He works nights at a pretty stressful job(a prison). We will see if he can stay commited to the exercise once he is back at work. The diet I think he will stick with.

Happy Hump Day everybody!

Rosemary
Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #70  

Got in my walk- 40 minutes worth. Had a friend over for coffee. She left, had lunch, called my neighbor who wanted to send her daughter over for a pottery lesson, but I must have missed her. No answer...so I was dinkering around in the studio and managed to cut my finger pretty badly. I am such a ditz! I had a palm full of blood by the time I got upstairs to the sink to wash it off and put some pressure on it. Then I could not find the Neosporin...

I need to go take a shower. There is a cookout at the church tonight and Tom wants to go. I would rather stay home, but he can be determined. If it rains, they usually cancel as the playground is too wet for the myriad kids that come.

ROSEMARY: My sister in law used to live in San Antonio. We visited them there. Her husband was at Randall. Such a beautiful city! I loved the river walk, and the Alamo! Ouch! Your poor hubby! I hope he stays committed to the exercise. It will help with the stress levels and keep them from harming his health!

FILLISE: That is cool about the check. I was wondering, since it never got here. So they are doing construction on the stadium at Auburn?? What is a HD Jumbotron?

Last edited by Ellen; 07-18-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #71  

Howdy ho... I missed yesterday cause we had thunderstorms all afternoon and I was afraid to get on the computer. I'm still doing pretty good and am proud of myself. I had my 3 egg white and 1 yolk omelet this morning with sauteed onions and green peppers. But tomorrow it will be oatmeal. Have to watch the eggs. Tonight I'm having salmon, cooked cabbage and brown rice. I've still got allot to do to get back to a good healthy lifestyle. I haven't started exerciseing yet. That will hurt me on the scale for sure. Theres still sweets in my house I've got to get rid of. Cookies and carmel corn are just sitting in the cupboard calling to me.

Solly- Welcome back from vacation. Good luck with your doctor's app. I'm always afraid when I go to my heart doctor. I just know one time he's going to say I need more surgery. But its nothing like what you've been through.

Rosemary- I love my DH eating right with me. He works nights to.

Monet- Lucky you with the Blackberry. Is it hard to learn how to use it. I also have trouble with my MP3 player.

Susan- glad you're back on track. Doesn't eating right feel so good.

Rosebud- I know what you mean about sweets in the house. I'm so bad around them.

Thin- Good to see you.....

Bob- Good you got a free half of day off....

Well guess I'll go. Got to find a new way to cook cabbage..
Old 07-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #72  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HERE'S A COPY OF THE MENU EXCHANGE PLANS from the book for those who would like to see it; this is just the numbers but the book also includes recipes and actual food menus; it is really handy when you're stuck for ideas.

FOODS ---- 1000 1200 1500 1800 2100 CALS
------------------------------------------------------------
BREAKFAST
LEAN MEAT --- 1 -- 1 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2
BREAD ------- 1 -- 1 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2
FRUIT -------- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 2
MILK ------- 1/2 - 1/2 - 1/2 - 3/4 - 1
FAT --------- 1 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2
FREEBE --- A/D

LUNCH
LEAN MEAT --- 2 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2
BREAD ------ 1 -- 1 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2
FRUIT ------ 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 2
VEGGIES --- 1 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2 -- 3
MILK ------- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1
FAT -------- 1 -- 1 -- 2 -- 2 -- 3
FREEBE --- A/D

DINNER
LEAN MEAT --- 2 -- 4 -- 4 -- 4 -- 5
BREAD ------- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 2 -- 3
FRUIT ------- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 2 -- 2
VEGGIES ---- 1 -- 2 -- 2 -- 4 -- 4
MILK ------ 1/2 - 1/2 - 1/2 - 1 -- 1
FAT -------- 2 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 4
FREEBE --- A/D

* A/D = AS DESIRED
** TIP ~ you can sub some fat OR milk for more fruit or veggies

LEAN MEATS = 55 CALS/oz; MM = 75 cals
BREADS = 70 CALS/slice/serving
FRUIT = 40 CALS/serving
VEGGIES = 25 CALS/serving
MILK = 80 CALS/glass
FATS = 45 CALS/tsp
FREE = 0 CALS

*LM = SIRLOIN, ROUND, RUMP, OR FLANK STEAK; VEAL; CENTER PORK CHOPS; HAM; LAMB CHOPS; SKINLESS CHICKEN & TURKEY; MOST FISH; BEANS & PEAS (1/2 CUP); L/F CHEESE
*MM = 1 egg (1M+1/2F) or 2tbl peanut butter (1M + 2F)
*BREAD = WH/BREAD; 1/2 cup most CEREALS, PASTA, BEANS, RICE, PEAS; small POTATO; small ear OR 1/3 cup kniblets CORN
*FRUIT = SMALL OR 1/2 BANANA; 1/2 CUP most; 3/4 cup strawberries; 1/2 cup other berries
*VEGGIES = 1/2 cup most veggies
*MILK = 1 cup milk; can sub 1/2 for more fruit or veggies i/d
*FAT = 1 tsp oil, margarine, butter; 1 tbl light dressings
*FREEBEES = mustard, ketchup; spices & herbs; diet jello & sodas; lettuce, radishes, parsley, chinese cabbage; tea, coffee, sweeteners; vinegar, lemon, bouillion; and unsweetened pickles like dills

*** NOTE ~ you probably know the amounts for most exchanges; some foods are more or less; and SB may explain that in more detail as this book does. This is just a basic menu outline meant to use as a guide. It is flexible and items can be moved around the day, as long as you stay below the daily total. ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-18-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #73  
sef

Hi all,

I know I have been MIA. Just going through a rought spot. Monday did the NH and took Bitsy in for the second Lyme shot went to groceery. Fixed supper but was really aching. We have had a lot of rain and sometimes it gets to me..

Yesterday I had a podiatrist appt. in the morning. Took my shower, dressed, and went. Came home with a terrible headache. As long as I didn't move about I was okay. Start to move and it would get worse. Did not cook supper. Had leftovers. After supper I went to get my after supper pills and there sitting on the dresser were my morning pills!! Undoubtedly that's why I had a headache. Did I tell you I was a blond before I turned gray?

Today did wash and fixed supper. Tomorrow is NH and stitch group. One more round on the afghan border and it is finished.

Sometimes board is so slow, then when you miss a day or two it goes wild!

Just a couple of quickies I can remember reading. Hope I get the names right.

FILLISE: So nice to have you back, you have been missed

SOLLY: Sounds like vacation was a good thing, even though your clothes are a little snug.

BOB: Isna't it nice to have a half day off? Kate okay? Or just a routine visit to chiro. Was reading about diet pill for dogs. Shame it says bot to use for humans or fat cats!

MONET: How's the finger? Hand and head wounds seem to bleed more profusely than wounds elsewhere.

ROSEBUD: I started out as a volunteer, then was hired as an aide in recreation. In those days you didn't go to college, but I took courses and when the state of PA offered certification as a Therapist I took it. I was department head about 18 years. I just loved my job, although when we eased out the geris for head trauma, I found I really missed them even though I loved the traumas. Now I havae come full circle and am a volunteer again.

FRUIT: Hope all is well.

TONI: I miss the exercise when I can't get in the pool. Altho lately it seems I have gotten a lot more stair climbing! Maybe it just seems so as I have been aching more than usual. You deserve to be proud of yourself.

ROSEMARY: I don't know if I would hace the dideication to drive to the track in pouring rain and hope it will stop! Bless you. It is great that your DH is doing this with you. I often feel like I am the lonesome dieter here at home. Except when I come here of course.

THIN: The hardest time for me is the weekends. I am not on the go and have more time on my hands. I do well for a week then slip.

Who have I missed? ROSALIE, TECH, Feel like there are others. Hope all are doing okay.

May good things happen, Shirley

Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #74  

Wow where is everyone????? Good thing Sef and Rosebud came. Not much going on here went out to lunch with a friend and didn't do to good. Had a salad and two chicken strips that were fried. Oh well another day. Cooked my fresh head of cabbage last night and it was sooooo good. I could have eaten the whole thing but I had salmon and brown rice so I'll have leftovers tonight. Doing laundry now. I waited till this evening when it would be cooler. Can't deal with this heat this week. Well guess I'll run.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #75  
sef

Where. O where have all the Sugarbusters gone? Where, O where can they be?

Busy day. Went to NH. They are doing a lot of remodeling and the front entrance was closed, had to walk the scenic route to get inside and then do extra halls to get to the activity room. By then I was pooped!! Then had to retrace steps to leave.

While I was there the head honcho came in. He apoologized for the inconvenience to the residents and me. While he was there I nailed him. Said I had been going there about six years and have complained about their green chalk board all that time. You can't use it because the chalk doesn't have enough contrast for the residents to be able to see what is written. You are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to remodel, you should add another hundred and buy a white porcelain board and black markers so I could play word games with them. To my surprise he said "You got it! Caught me in a weak moment and I will get a new board." I guess I never talked to the right person before! The activity director was behind him giving me a thumbs up. So we'll see if it happens.

This afternoon the ladies were here for stitch group. We had a lovely time. We always do. Just relaxing and talk, talk, talk. If our hands moved as fast as our tongues do we'd have a lot more done!

Supper was not vey SB. I threw fish fillets, french fries and onion rings in the oven after they left.

I am really struggling and seem to be losing the battle, but too stubborn to cry Uncle. I am going to get in the groove somehow amd be a good SBer once again.

TONI: Glad you showed up! I love cabbage, family doesn't. I buy a small head and make slaw (legal) out of half and cook up the other half. Each lasts for a couple or three meals. Hope some others drop in.

May good things happen, Shirley.
Closed Thread