Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Friday Ladies.

This was a quick week. Three people are on vacation next week, so it will be quite and hopefully slower here.

I guess the dr appt went ok. They didn't have my blood work back but my count was ok. They say they will let you know if anything is wrong. They are switching my meds. I mail them in so it will be a couple weeks before I start. I got to stop thinking about all the side affects & get in a different frame of mind by then so I don't let my head control it. I went to sleep at 8:30 last night. I can't beleive it has taken me a week to get back to routine from vacation. I don't know what is making me so tired. I think I need to do something instead of sitting around.

No big plans for the weekend. Probably hit a pool tomorrow for awhile.

Sef, that's what you call getting your exercise in whether you want to or not. Way to go on being assertive and getting the new white board.

Toni, If those 2 chicken strips are the only bad thing you had for the day, I say bravo. If that were me, I would take that as an excuse to eat everything else bad and start the next day again or the next Monday. One day at a time.

Rosemary, you all have had more than your share of rain lately. Boy your DH sure has a stressful job and a scarry one. Hope he is able to continue the plan while he is at work. Just pack his lunch/dinner and a snack.

Susan, I love the Lean Quisines. My DD really likes their panni's. You are doing good.

Got to run. Have a great day and a great weekend.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Monet,

I didn't mean to skip you. I hit the button too soon. My best friend from high school told me yesterday that he has diabetes. She is taking the glucophage (sp) and checking her sugars 2 times day. She is so mad about it. Even though she has expected it all her life. It runs in her family and she is the biggest sugar addict I have ever seen. They had even restricted her from all fruits for now. I think her bs was 300. She is frustrated with eating, basically she is doing Atkins due to the restrictions. Any pointers or ideas you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #78  

Morning! I apologize from being MIA. Yesterday was weird. I was so tired I took two naps. This is really not like me. So, I suited up and got in the pool for 40 minutes and that helped. Then I had to fix dinner, and clean up, and I had a kiln to unload....

Not much going on today. I am planning on glazing all the stuff I fired yesterday, and getting the kiln loaded up and on by this afternoon. Harry Potter book 7 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and I intend to be reading it as soon as I get my hands on it.

SOLLY: I wonder why her doctor is restricting fruit? I don't have any problems with berries, peaches, apples, etc. Even bananas are not too bad for me. The info for diabetes has exploded in the past few years, and they are finding you can eat just about anything, as long as you are monitoring. My blood sugar was well over 300 when I was diagnosed and they did not restrict me. What she needs to cut out most is the whites. Atkins is too severe. Then you get the lows which are not good either. Tell her walking is the most important thing she can do. She should check her sugars before and after a 30 minute walk. She will be amazed at how good it works to lower the bg. I find that regular exercise is very key. If I miss a day or two, my numbers shoot up again. In time, she will find her triggers. She ought to be testing more just to find what foods effect her and how. For me, corn is not bad at all, but whole wheat is! I can tolerate some brown rice. Anything with sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it, even just a little bit, really makes my bg skyrocket! Would she be interesting in joining the diabetes forum on here? It might help her. I find it comforting to know others are like me. I too don't get worried, I get MAD! I really hate having to worry about checking my sugar, and what I eat all the time. If I can be of any help, let me know!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #79  
sef

Hi all,

I agree with Solly, this week seemed to fly by.

Was busy today, changed bed, that meant doing wash. I put the new afghan on the bed and it looks great. I have lilac sheet set so the lilac and white of afghan go with it. Also vacuumed etc.

I figured I'd better do it today so I can rest tomorrow morning. The YAH is leaving the church at 4:30 to go to the Mississippi South Raceway. We are going to eat somewhere. They're calling it a mystery meal. Also said to bring cushion to sit on. Those bleacher seats can get hard. Don't know what time I'll be home.

SOLLY: Don't you hate it when your doctor visit is sort of inconclusive? You know something is being done but it all seems a little vague. I like it when they say this, this and this, and that's what's happening, I was told eatirg sugar doesn't make you diabetic, it's how you handle the sugar. It's a genetic thing not an acquired thing.

MONET: You have to listen to your body, you know that. You must have needed those naps or you wouldn't have been able to take them. It must be horrible to have such a time regulating your regiman. I always find what you say about diabetes so interesting, I have learned a lot from you.

Just got an Avon order. I used to use their products, then when I moved to Jersey in '95 there was no one in our village that sold it so I started using Almay which has been very good. Just recently there's a young woman that has expanded her area and I have bought a couple of things from her. Their all day lipstick and glass is terrific, truly lasts all day and doesn't dry out my lips.

Gotta go, hope every one is okay.

FF

AIN'T RETIREMENT GRAND?

Upon reaching 65, old Tom decided to retire. After having him under foot for a few months, his wife became very agitated with him. She suggested he go and do something to occupy his time, like join a club or get a hobby Old Tom obliged and went out for a couple of hours.

When he got home his wife asked about his day and he replied, 'Oh, I just went down to the park and hung out with the guys. And oh yeah, I joined a parachute club.

'What? Are you nuts? You're 65 years old and you're going to start jumping out of airplanes?' 'Yeah, look I even got a membership card.'

'Old man, you need glasses! This is a membership in a Prostitute Club, not a Parachute Club!'

'Oh, great! now what am I going to do? I signed up for 5 jumps a week!'

May good things happen, Shirley

Old 07-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #80  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MORNING EVERY BUDDY!!!!

BOB was up early this morning....My back felt like someone had taken a baseball bat and wacked me across the lower section! Once I was up, it eased up, but it sure won't hurt me to get started on things I need to do around the house!

Not much planned outside the adobe today....It's going to be another scorcher and I 'm not evening going out in that!

For your "SOUTHREN" chickies(Shirley. you'll love it!) .....One of the movies I have is great! It's called "OUR VERY OWN" and takes place in Shelbyville, Tennessee. Typical
small town where EVERYONE knows EVERYONE ELSES BUSINESS....I really enjoyed it.

I''m off to get started with my cleaning, but will check in later. Hope EVERYONE has a GREAT DAT!!!!

BOB
Old 07-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #81  

I got my Harry Potter book yesterday afternoon and read it non stop until 5:30 AM. I finished it. Good book. I enjoyed it. Read a few reviews after I was done. Hey, it was a CHILDREN'S series...but it doesn't matter what the reviewers say about it. J.K. Rowling is rolling in $$...

I made gazpacho with all my tomatoes and cukes. I have a jar of crock style pickles going now too. I STILL have tons of tomatoes and cucumbers. And Tom picked a grocery bag full of green beans today. I guess tonight I will need to blanch and freeze some of them.

Just wanted to stop in and say hello.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #82  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

Unhappy Need Help

My husband returned to work Saturday night after being off 2 1/2 months. He has always worked nights. I have always known this was a major source of stress for me and a trigger for my late night snacking. He works at a prison, wait list for day shift is years long and he likes working nights, it is calmer there at night. Last night was very bad for me, there aren't any bad snacks in the house. But I went crazy, I ate anything and everything in sight. Even too much snacking on better snacks isn't a good thing. I had to stay up to pick up our son from work at midnight. I ate, fruit, cheese, cereal, peanut butter, and a bean & cheese taco at midnight when I picked him up.

We're keeping up the exercise. I just dont want snacking to control me and erase all the good I do during the day eating well and exercising.

Rosemary
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #83  

Hello everyone, where ever you are! I got my kiln turned out finally, and it should fire off in a few hours. My older daughter stopped by today. She is supposed to be going to the movies with her siblings, but she is cranky, and they are understandably unsure. (she tends to be difficult when she is cranky!!) She left to go shopping, though she was supposed to do that with her sister, but left her. I don't want to be in the middle of it....

ROSEMARY: Here is the thing...you snacked from stress and boredom, right? Did it make you feel better? Nope! Keep telling yourself that! Make sure you don't keep anything not on the diet around too. Plan your snacks, and fight to stick with it. It may take a LOT of effort on your part for a few days, but you can break the habit of eating for stress. Find something to occupy you. Like knitting, or crochet. Or reading! If you are busy, you will not be thinking of what else you can get into it in the kitchen. You CAN do it!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #84  

Hello everyone. I'm busy cleaning and just popped in to say I gained 2 lbs. this week. I think the week end did me in. I'm so hopeing this week will be better. I'm off to fix some salmon, aspargus, and cole slaw. Be back tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #85  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVERY BUDDY!!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I got a lot of laundry done, but not much housework. Our Cleaning Lady has moved to South Carolina so it's now in my hands, and there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day for everything..

Job still moving right along, but it's kinda slow right now. Our busiest Doc ist still on vacation not to return until next week. I usually work 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. but the other Lady who works with me (supposed to have the same hours also) usually stays until all of the Docs have left. My Boss told me this morning that she was changing my hours to 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ....(not fine with me, but what am I gonna say???? I'm the new kid on the block) SO....I told her OK. When I told the Lady that I work with (she loves overtime) told me no way and went to the Boss and said she would work Mon, Tues Thurs later and I could do Wed and Fri late. I jumped on that ...I know it sounds like only 30 minutes, but the DOCS can get caught up in their last Patients of the day. If she wants to stay, so be it...I'd rather be home.

WHEW...I needed to get that out...thanks!!

I'm off to get some supper...I'm starving!!

BOB
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #86  
Goddess

Hey all!

I'm hanging in and trying to get my eating straightened out. Was doing ok until I had to work late last night and they brought that pizza in. . .

The weekend was good--all about Harry Potter. I was at my local bookstore at midnight on Friday and came home and began reading. It was well worth the wait.

Today is another challenge. I'm trying to help a client get a large proposal out, so it may be another late night. I've got some salad fixings in the fridge, so I think I'm going to throw that together and have something of my own in case we get stuck again.

Have a good day everyone!

Susan
Old 07-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #87  

Morning! I just got in from picking the garden. Today was not as prolific as Sundays. Yesterday, I put up four quarts of green beans. Today, I got another quart, but will probably just cook them and serve instead of freezing them. I need to research recipes for fresh tomato sauce. I have SO many!

I checked on the kiln. It went off last night about 9, so it is not ready to open yet. This period of waiting is the worst! You don't want to rush it, or you can end up with cracked pots. I am not a patient woman though, so I want so badly to peek in! I am going to have to try and stay busy until this afternoon to avoid it.

FILLISE: Got your sweet note yesterday. Thank you! So, did you finish the book? I liked it. I agree it was worth the wait! I planned not to go nuts though, and waited to read Half Blood Prince until about four weeks ago. It helped! Now Tom and Laura are fighting over who gets to read. They are both slower readers than I am, so I am afraid this will go on for a few more days. Then I will have someone to discuss it with! Finally! I am trying not to spoil it for anyone, but you KNOW keeping my mouth shut is very very difficult!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #88  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

Got an idea from my DH on my late night snacking problem. Crossword puzzles! I got him a huge book of puzzles when he was in the hospital and he didn't even get half way through it. I did 2 puzzles last night while watching TV.

On a frustrating note: DH spoke with a coworker that has lost a lot of weight and the coworker told him he was following Adkins <sigh> and lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks. Now my DH wants to switch from SB to adkins at least for 2 weeks. I'm happy on the SB plan but DH makes most of our meals. I wish he wasn't so driven by wanting to see quick results. He already dropped about 16 lbs in 4 weeks!

...and still the rain continues in our Area

Rosemary
Old 07-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #89  

Well another day. I've had oatmeal for a late breakfast and some slaw and walnuts just now. Think I'll make a legal macroni salad this evening. I've been hungry for some. I got a spurt of energy for some reason and gave the kitchen a good cleaning. Maybe cause I've been eating right and my body is liking it. Have lots of tomatoes on my vines now. I love good ole fresh garden tomatoes. Wish my cucumbers were bearing now. As you can see my life is pretty boring. LOL... Guess I'll go check on DH he should be getting ready for work now.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #90  

ROSEMARY: Hmm, I don't know what to say. I have been on Atkins, and while it does work, it has some problems. Atkins can work, but there are reasons why so many doctors and nutrition experts don't like it. Sugarbusters has some of the good elements of Atkins, without the bad parts. It is an extreme, and Sugarbusters is a diet that you can easily follow for the rest of your life. If he wants to do Aktins, let him. Just add fruit to your meals, and whole grains,and watch the fat. A bit of creativity and you can both be happy! Crossword puzzles are a good solution to your munchies! Reading Harry Potter might help too! haha!
Closed Thread