South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #46  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yup, I've been to PEI and even visited Green Gables before it burned down. I think it is being rebuilt. We have to keep the Japanese tourists happy, you know!

Right now I am reading a book called "I'll Go To Bed At Noon" by Gerard Woodward, a rather depressing novel set in north London about a dysfunctional family with violent alcoholics and a wimpy mother. It's not a great read but was short-listed for the Booker so is supposed to be good. Here's the outline if you can stand it. I hope I can get to the end of it without drinking a bottle of Scotch or sniffing some glue!

Quick! Somebody pass me a Bobbsey Twins or Sue Barton as an antidote to all the angst!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #47  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Ruth, I'm the same way about books like that. I suffer through them because I figure I should (It's like taking medicine! ), but then I need some "mind candy" like a trashy romance novel to put things right again.

Green Gables burnt down? I don't remember...did she base the book on an actual house she had seen or was it the house she lived in?

Too funny about the Japanese tourists. They are the major visitors to Hawaii. DH and I were put in the new tower at the Royal Hawaiian (The Pink Palace) on our honeymoon. The tower was built to accommodate the Japanese tourists and it was apparent. The sink came to just above my knees, sitting on the toilet included a huge drop and major struggle to get up, and the shower head was on par with my armpits (convenient! ). It was interesting! Kind of like being Alice in Wonderland.

Does anyone here read Sue Grafton and her Alphabet Mysteries? I love them! I would think that KissyJoy might like them too as they are set in Santa Barbara. The main character often drives through Oxnard and Simi (where my family lives) during her investigations.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #48  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Figured with summer coming up (and lots of time to read on the beach, right? ), it would be fun to resurrect this thread!

Right now I'm reading The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters. It's the third in a huge series of books starring detective (and Egyptologist) Amelia Peabody Emerson. They are great! I got one of the later ones as a book on CD recently and loved the humor, romance, suspence, and the historical setting (late 1800's to early 1900's in Egypt and England). Fun!

Just finished a couple of trashy romance novels set in India...interesting to learn more about that period. I tried to get through Reading Lolita in Tehran but it really wasn't going very fast, so I put it down. I'll pick it up again at some point, I suppose. I hate leaving books unread!

I also finished a great book called You're Not From Around Here, Are You? by Louise Blum. It's the autobiography of a lesbian couple who get married and try to get pregnant in a small town in PA. The child they eventually had went to the summer camp where I worked a couple years ago. She was the most self-actualized individual I have ever met and a testimony to her moms' love. They are darling people as well, and I've been wanting to read their book for ages so I could find out what the beginning of their story was. Louise is a great writer and very engaging...I barely put the book down for two days!

Of course, I'm supposed to be reading stuff for school...but it's so much more fun to read for pleasure. What are you reading?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #49  
Working for the Cruise!

At the moment, I'm stuck in Death is Forever by Elizabeth Lowell. It's a story about a diamond mine hidden in Austrailia and the diamond cartel of the world. This photographer inherits the mine from an uncle she never knew and goes out to find it though every diamond cartel in the world is after it, and essentially, her. This is actually a novel that's been revisited, as the original was written in the early 1990's.

I just finished The Jester by James Patterson. WOW. I love James Patterson, but this book was really incredible. I love the middle ages and all the drama of the time. The book is about a man who goes off to fight in the crusades and comes home to find his wife and son (whom he never met) murdered by an evil Duke. He goes "undercover" as a Jester to find the reasons why and seek his revenge.

Also just put down Catherine Coulter's Blindside and have since decided to seek out the rest of her FBI series.

And finally, I also recently finished Suzanne Brockman's latest, Hot Target. As usual, the former Navy SEAL team held my attention and I finished that book in a day.

Reading Nora Roberts Carnal Innocence for my brain candy.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #50  

Ohh, ohh! Had to reply to this one!!!! Ahhh, books........is there anything better? (Besides really good sex? Mmm, strike sex, insert chocolate. ) (Edit: re-insert the former: burns more calories.)

Favorites: by Francine Rivers--The Mark of the Lion Trilogy: Voice in the Wind, Echo in the Darkness, and Sure as the Dawn. Beautifully written in Roman times (AD 71 or so) about a Germanic prisoner/gladiator, Jewish slave girl, and elite upper class brother and sister, and how their paths cross. Great sense of time, place, and human emotion. Lots of details, extremely well researched.

The Red Tent, by Anita Diamanti (sp?) From the Biblical story, a different perspective....was Leah really the one Jacob did not want? Again, great sense of time and place (Mesopotamia and Egypt.) Fully developed characterization.

Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel. Everything I love: history, lots of details, deep characterization

Books that stuck in my mind because of the weird factor or unexpectedness:

The Calcutta Chromosome by Amitav Ghosh---how much of what we see is what is there, and how much is orchestrated to shape our behavior? (Fiction, set in future America, and nineteenth and twenty-first century India.) Made me cook curries for a week......

The Last Time They Met, by Anita Shreeve. Kind of hard to get into, but wow! the ending will shake you! Don't you dare cheat and skip ahead!

Also gotta recommend:
The Ladies' No. 1 Detective Agency by Alexandr McCall Smith (set in S. Africa)
Bahgdad Without a Map by Tony Horwitz (set all over Arabia, very funny)
Having Faith: An Ecologist's Journey to Motherhood by Sandra Steingraber (will educate you and scare you. very enlightening, will make you want to buy stock in Whole Foods, petition you congressmen and women, and re-evalute your life.)

Just read Babylon Rising by Tim LaHaye (this is the prequel to Left Behind) and am not overly impressed.

Am currently reading The Taken by Dean Koontz.......eh, weird. Kind of sci-fi, horror, never read anything by him. Am gonna stick with it because I bought it. Will see how it turn out.

Love anything by Jude Deveraux!!!!!! Perfect summer or weekend reading. Her characters usually have weight issues--have you noticed, anyone?---but they tackle it, usually without trying. Oh, to be a fictional character...

Next on my list:
Time Traveler's Wife
A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali (saw it on here--looks good)
Fast Food Nation (same thing)

Ahh, summer, my readin' season!

Last edited by mamaeli; 05-27-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #51  
Working for the Cruise!

Hey Mamaeli, I noticed the weight issues with characters in Devereaux's books too! I've got The Mulberry Tree on my list for this summer.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #52  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

Oh books... I've rediscovered my love of books last summer!

Some current authors I like:

Emily Carmichael: Writes about a women reincarnated as a dog. Funny! Writes other love stories too. A Diamond in the Ruff is one I remember.
I have always loved Jonathan Kellerman. Mostly his Alex Delaware series. He is a psychologist consulting on murders in LA with his best friend, a gay detective. Occassionally he goes up to Ojai (where I'm from) and Santa Barbara.
Beverly Lewis: Writes about Amish. Abram's Daughters is her recent series. I need to read more of them... I think I've read only one of the new series.

Some books I've like recently:

Bet Me by Jennifer Cruisie
The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Anne Bresheres
Sushi For Beginners by Marion Keyes

Was supposed to head to the library today, but we're not going to make it. I'm reading The Three Miss Margarets by Louise Shaffer. Not far into it... we'll see!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #53  
Gryffindor Pride

I love to read.. I guess it comes with the major (English and Secondary Education). I just finished Across the Nightingale Foor" by Lian Hearn. My senior Thesis was a course on Edith Wharton so I spent much of the semester reading her novels (House of Mirth, Custom of the Country) and I highly suggest Wharton, I love her novels.
Of course, I am waiting for the 6th Harry Potter but usually, I re-read 1 through 5 if I am bored and have no new books. Reading is a great way to relax!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #54  
beachbum

Its that time of the year when I get all my reading in. My new books are;

Jackson Rule by Dinah McCall[ Louisana preacher daughter who falls in love with an ex-con who murdered his father.]

To Tame a Wolf by Susan Krinard[young woman in love with a handsome man who turns out to be a werewolf ]

Hugs BB
Old 05-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 220/216/145

Height: 5'7"

Hmmm..sounds like we all have similar tastes...I certainly have read all that Karen mentioned...there is nothing like some good chick lit to make you have a laugh...

How was A Thousand Acres? Don't know that one...

I just finished a few books actually, a James Patterson one (London Bridges)
, Dan Brown's Deception Point, and All is Vanity by Christina Schwarz (she wrote Drowning Ruth). I have started some book about a mafia family that I can't tell yet if it is complete crap or interesting...I have to give it some more time

I need to read "He's not that into you" and the one "French Women Don't Get Fat"...I think it has to be funny, right?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #56  

Default If you like Jimmy Buffet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissyjoy
I just finished reading A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett (surprise, surprise...I'm a parrothead)!
Check out Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore. I am a huge Christopher Moore fan and when I was reading A Salty Peice of Land it reminded me of that book.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #57  

Height: 5'-2"

Grffgirl, I love Edith Wharton! One of my favourites is "Ethan Frome".

Right now I'm reading a book about Anna Freud... can't remember the author off-hand.
And I'm rereading a Peter Singer. "Writings on an Ethical Life".
Old 05-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 267.4/179.6/150

Height: 5'7"

All you romance readers. If you haven't read Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER series, RUN, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore. Best series I've ever read. Its historical fiction/romance/time travel. Some of Nora Roberts stuff is good too, I especially liked the 3 Sisters Island trilogy. Right now, I'm reading the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn as well as a couple of nonfiction science books, one about the history of time in societies and one about wormholes, for some light reading .
Old 05-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #59  
gotta lose it!

Wow this is a great thread!!!
Anchor - the guy that did the "Supersize Me" movie (forgot his name) He has a new book out call "Don't Eat This Book!" I haven't checked it out, but I seen it on the Today show.
I'm reading 2 books - nothing fun though! One is "The Money Book for the Young, Fabullous, and Broke" by Suze Orman (I want to know what to do with my money!!!)
And for anyone that knows how much my fried chicken eating boss drives me crazy, you'll understand why I'm reading the second book - "Since Strangling Isn't an Option....Dealing with Difficult People - Common Problems and Uncommon Solutions.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #60  
A Lily from my yard!

Soon...That is so funny about the chicken lady! She gonna think eatin a chicken leg when she has those chicken wings flappin under her arms! lol
Did you see supersize me guy is gonna have some kind of series that each one imvolves doin it for 30 days?
Closed Thread