South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

so. confession time still open? also ate orgainic bar of almond milk chocolate
but, yeah- halo i think kleo's advice is sound. lessee how this plays out.

will post recipe today now off to get my behind kicked by jillian (30 day shred)

hey cindiejo- don't sweat it..2 pounds is great!--as someone wrote somewhere inthis thread- consider how long it took you to put the weight on...phase one is not a miracle cure
Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #122  
KittyKatLady

S/C/G: 160/159/120

Height: 5'3"

So I'm a little frustrated.....

I was on Phase 1 and I had 2 days left to go and weighed myself....I had only lost 1 lb! I was so darn strict for 2 WEEKS and all I dropped was a lousy lb!? Which means I gained back 2 out of the 3 lbs I lost in the beginning. I'm seriously not motivated anymore. It's super frustrating.

Then I got sick and couldn't stomach eating meat, salad, yogurt, or seafood..so I figured I'd just eat what I wanted but the weird thing is that the thought of bread made me sick...me?! the carb freak?! sick of bread?! unheard of!

But I went off for about 4 days or so and I feel blah again..it's not that I was eating completely horribly (although I did have a few pieces of pizza when I was feeling better :\ ) but my body started feeling sluggish again...

so I know that this "Diet" is a healthy one but I need something that will help me drop the lbs too....So here's my question...

Should I go back to phase 1? I'm not really having any cravings for bad carbs, sugar, etc.

Do you think I should have restricted my calories in phase 1 or that I should in phase 2 if I move into phase 2?

I was considering pairing SBD with WW to control my portions a little more. WW worked for me in the past but SBD seems to be healthier for long term.

Any input would be helpful!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #123  
Beach Babe in Training

S/C/G: 185.8/180.2/145

Height: 5' 9"

jlh88 -- sorry for your frustrations! I know the hard part is trying to compare weight loss with other people. Remember, your body is unique and different than anyone else's and will react differently as well. A loss is a loss, no matter how small. I just want to encourage you to stick with it, and I know that this healthy way of eating is a lifetime plan for me, not just for weight loss.

Portion control was a big issue for me last week, I overate on OP foods, felt stuffed and bloated, but just could not bear to be hungry. Now, things are settling in. It might help for you to post a typical day's meal plan for you, then the other senior members might be able to help you with that?

I would suggest restarting Phase 1. Even though your cravings may be gone, it is a great and intentional period of time to where you re-adjust and clean yourself out. For me personally, combing SBD and WW would be too time consuming, I just like sticking with OP food and the plan for now.

Thanks for sharing and for giving us the chance to encourage you!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #124  
KittyKatLady

It's just hard for me to stick with something if it doesn't give me results. I didn't expect a huge weight loss considering I already eat pretty darn healthy. However, I expected more than 1lb! =(

I've posted a few days of my eating habits early on and the senior members said my menu looked ok...it was pretty much the same thing for two weeks with minor glitches (menu items from the recipe posts)...I think I'm going to restart Phase 1 again *sigh* and be completely strict on what I eat...I'm going to try to watch portions though...but not to the point where I leave a meal starving...It's going to be hard to stick with Phase 1 though because I have my birthday (more drinking than the cake lol), a bachelorette party, and a wedding I'm in all within the next 3 weeks BUT I cannot hold off for 3 weeks...I feel gross being off plan for 4 days! lol

thanks for the support..it means a lot
Old 07-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #125  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Remember that while a lot of people lose weight on Phase 1 it's primary purpose is to get rid of cravings. Once you move into Phase 2 you can really start exercising (cardio and weights) and watch those serving sizes. Once I'd been on Phase 2 for a couple of months I added calorie counting as a back-up measure. I'm not so good at self control. I also measured and weighed food for awhile just to make sure I really know what a serving size looks like. Most of us don't after years of super size and huge restaurant portions. Then some people (like me!) are spurt losers - nothing for weeks then a big drop, then nothing for weeks. I remember whining a whole lot at the time

You know this WOL is healthy and your body obviously responded to it. Now you just have to trust that you will lose in time. For now celebrate getting healthy. (I do know it's easier said then done but in the long run healthy is going to keep you coming back to this WOL). You can do this!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #126  
KittyKatLady

CyndiM** do you think I should move on to phase 2 if I don't have the cravings even though I messed up for a few days?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #127  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Cyndi, that you need to give it time. I have a guess that if you get back OP and stick with it that things will start looking up for you.

I had never heard it called anything before, but I definitely have experienced "spurt losing". My weight loss slowed between weeks 3-5, then I lost 3 in a week, and a few more here and there. The first 10 days of July it seemed to be more consistent..but I've been following it pretty consistantly. I may eat more or less from day to day but I haven't put white flour or sugar in my body for 12 weeks now. Day to day the only bread I'm eating is Ezekial or homemade.

Personally, I just don't think mixing SB and WW is a great idea. They are 2 totally different philosophies and while each is great on its own it sounds pretty complex to try to meld them.

I really think you shouldn't be discouraged. You've come a long way!! If you're not having craving issues it seems P1 might be far to restrictive to keep you happy for long.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #128  

S/C/G: Pregnant, due 5/30/10.

Height: 5'9

Hi everyone! How is the weekend treating you?

For me...first, the good news. The last few days have been great. I have lost 5 lbs in week one of Phase 1! I think it came off so quickly because I was losing "vacation weight" - had been eating really poorly up til then so I think my body decided to be nice to me for making an effort. I imagine next week will see a slower loss but I do hope to still lose a bit more.

Then...the not so good news. Today at lunch I ate about 4 bites of spaghetti, for no other reason than to "be polite." I am determined to NOT use this as a temptation to slip back into bad habits, but this is the second time I have broken plan this time around in order to be pleasing to others. It's funny - tomorrow I will be at an amusement park all day with my husband, and I know it will be challenging, but I also know I will be fine because I will be "in control." But when I get around others who don't know me well...it's like I am embarrassed to admit to them that I am cutting out certain foods or something like that. I just really don't want to share something so personal with them, so I hide it rather than be upfront about why I want to pass on eating this or that. Err...

So that's what's going on with me. Good news and bad news. But at the end of P1, I guess it's not my hope to declare that I did it perfectly...but rather that I kicked my cravings, developed healthier habits, and have committed myself to a better future.

Kate
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #129  

S/C/G: Pregnant, due 5/30/10.

Height: 5'9

jlh, sorry to hear your frustration. But, a pound is still progress! I say go back to Phase 1 or do "1.5" if that's the best you can do right now. Good luck and I hope those numbers change for you soon!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Height: 5'7"

jlh - please try not to be frustrated this WOE really does work, and you really will drop pounds. 1lbs is signifigant... your going in the right direction. In 2007 I introduced myself to to this WOE, over about 7 months time I lost 58lbs. I felt healthy, energized and vibrant! My downfall was hitting off plan to often and then spindling back into the carb/junkfood crazed person that I had started out as. I finally came to my senses after gaining back all the weight I had lost + some more. I'm here to stay this time... please take your journey with me I really don't think you need to add in an additional plan either.

Sunday is almost over ladies, and the work week will begin.. again. My Mother made a huge batch of veggie soup (totally OP) she gave me half and mmmmmm it is soooo good, i'm looking forward to the left overs for quick lunch at work. Spent some time at the pool today with the kids, it was nice out for a change. Will be hitting the pavement for a nice walk in a little bit too. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 169/153.8/135

can any one tell me if it's possible to follow the south beach program if I'm a vegetarian?

thank you in advance
maureen
Old 07-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #132  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Absolutely Maureen! There are vegetarians and near vegetarians on the board already. This is basically a whole foods diet which fits nicely with a vegetarian diet. Have you read the book yet? It's the best place to start.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 162/156/128

I have had a tough week. My dad passed away last Monday. I just ate whatever people brought, but still lost 5 pounds from stress. I am ready to make week two a good one. These are the hard times we just have to manage to keep going, and I want to loose this weight once and for all.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

HI, everyone! I've been here on the SBD forums for quite a while, but I'm back to P1 for real this time and am just going to jump into the thread rather than trying to catch up. I'm sure I'll learn names and stories soon!

tyleralona: I send you and your family my heartfelt condolences as you all go through this tough time. I know it is very hard for you to focus on your weight and eating at all at this time and I'm very happy to see that it is still a priority for you.

So, this is day 1 for me. I spent last week re-reading SB Supercharged and re-read all the P1 stuff last night. I did my grocery shopping yesterday evening and have all my snacking veggies cut up and bagged so that I can just reach into the fridge and eat!

Here's my Day 1 menu:

B: 6 oz. LS V8, 8 oz. skim milk, 2 eggs scrambled with zucchini & onions, 2 slices turkey bacon
S: 1/4 cup cauliflower w/ 1 tsp. dressing, 1 PS mozzarella string cheese
L: 2 cups salad w/ lettuce, cucs, bell peppers and celery topped w/ 1/3 cup black beans and 1 Tbsp. dressing, bell pepper strips on the side
S: 2 celery stalks w/ roasted red pepper hummus, 15 almonds
D: Shredded beef (like for tacos) on a big salad w/ steamed veggies on the side
D: Vanilla ricotta creme

My workout today is a WATP (Walk Away The Pounds) DVD and I plan to walk at least 2 miles, but will go on to 3 or 4 if my body is up for it! I usually do really intense workouts, so this week is going to be a big adjustment, but I'm hoping to get back to my regular program after the two weeks are up.

I'm being realistic and not using this for a big "whoosh" of weight loss. My goal is to maintain my 1.5 lb per week which is what I was averaging before the last month when I went haywire with my eating. The big point of all of this (going back to P1) is to banish the cravings and to give me a game plan for the next few months. We travel A LOT in the fall/winter and having a plan in place will get me closer to my goal rather than farther from it, which has happened in past years.

Okay, I guess I'd better get moving. I need to get my lunch together and get back to work. I hope all of you are having a wonderful Monday and I hope to get to know you soon!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 193/seeticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I just started day 1 of my second week in Phase 1. I've lost 6 lbs, but know that will probably start to slow down this week. Question for those who have BTDT:
Did you notice that your grocery bills are any higher? I'm used to eating high carb to stretch the dollar in the house, and now I'm stocking up on veggies and am afraid once school starts for the kids, our groceries are going to be through the roof.
Any ideas?
Closed Thread