Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #151  

Hi, all! I've been MIA and so has my weight loss.

Two low carb flours are almond and garbanzo bean, though I'm not sure how either would taste on scallops.

Think I may have figured out why I keep plateauing, in spite of eating relatively cleanly. Dairy. Some of the cheese I've been using may contain rBGH, (one of the national brands shredded varieties), which impacts insulin resistance, if I'm reading the research correctly. The 2 times I've broken my plateau recently was when I cut down on cheese and drank more green tea, and when I was out of the country where they don't have rBGH.

I am currently in the process of discovering which products do and don't contain rBGH. Most foreign cheeses do not. Fage Greek yogurt does not. Organic half and half does not. I'm planning on checking Cabot this afternoon to see about their products.

Hopefully, with the knowledge I'm gaining, I'll break my current plateau.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #152  

I went to the Cabot site. Most of their cheeses and other products contain rBST. A few do not. You must check for the no artificial growth hormone logo. I think its green and will be on the packages.

It looks like I will be shopping at TJs for foreign cheeses.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetermined2 View Post
Some of the cheese I've been using may contain rBGH, (one of the national brands shredded varieties), which impacts insulin resistance, if I'm reading the research correctly.
This is really good to know!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #154  

I eat a LOT of cheese--as do both of my children & my baby-sitter! I need to check out the labeling, because I've been trying to avoid MEAT with added growth hormones, but it never even occurred to me that CHEESE may have this. Does that mean some brands of milk do, too?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #155  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Never looked into rBGH, but eating lots of cheese never seemed to be a problem when controling my type 2 diabetes *shrug* Some people do stall from too much dairy in general. Gotta keep experimenting to find what works best for us each individually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself View Post
What are fauxtatoes? I've never heard of any such thing!
Usually used in reference to mashed cauliflower. Steam (or boil, but boiling tends to seep out nutrients) cauliflower, and mash it up like potatoes with cream, butter, garlic, cheese...whatever you like. I like mine with cream cheese in it
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #156  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
[COLOR=indigo]
Usually used in reference to mashed cauliflower. Steam (or boil, but boiling tends to seep out nutrients) cauliflower, and mash it up like potatoes with cream, butter, garlic, cheese...whatever you like. I like mine with cream cheese in it
I added sour cream yesterday and it was heavenly.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #157  
Hug a Tree!

I am wondering why I am so hungry I want to eat my own arm off when I try to stay under 75g of crabs per day?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 291.3/236.1/150

Are you getting enough protein and fat and drinking enough water - I keep my carbs lower than you (more between 35 to 40) and I have the opposite problem - I am full most of the time and find if I figure up my calories I need more to eat. Maybe try making some deviled eggs or meat roll ups dipped in a mix of mayo and Dijon mustard.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #159  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rho1640 View Post
Are you getting enough protein and fat and drinking enough water - I keep my carbs lower than you (more between 35 to 40) and I have the opposite problem - I am full most of the time and find if I figure up my calories I need more to eat. Maybe try making some deviled eggs or meat roll ups dipped in a mix of mayo and Dijon mustard.
I don't know if I'm getting enough protein? The only meat I eat is occasional kosher humanly raised chicken. I haven't found any lunch meat yet that fits that criteria. I don't eat beef, pork, lamb, etc. So I rely on fish, eggs, cheese and nuts a lot. When I do eat chicken it's common for me to have about 6oz at a time to make it worth my while. There is only so much fish and eggs I can stand in one day, you know? I am pretty sure I get enough fat. I eat quite a bit of olive oil, butter, mayonnaise and nut butter.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #160  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I've used the parmesan to coat chicken, but never scallops. I too am a scallop fan, but alas, they only come frozen here. I'm content with pan seared with bacon - no breading necessary for me.

rBST - I had never heard of it, but I can tell if I eat too much dairy (and I can sure be prone to that, as I love it love it love it) that I stall &/or gain a little. I might have to start checking that on some products. My budget is somewhat limited still, so have to hope it's not $10 blocks of cheese to avoid it!

Landonsbaby: what about protein shakes? I make a coffee smoothie thing with atkins shakes that's pretty good. Also, peanut butter mixed 50/50 with vanilla whey protein powder and made into little balls (then roll in cocoa) can help get your protein up too. I know you don't mix meat and milk - I think those could help you keep that rule. Use your dairy for "snacks," then meat and veggies for meals.

I don't know about the humanely raised chickens. I'm in a rural area. Many of the chickens in these parts are roaming in yards anyway. Would you have access to wild game? Many here hunt for different animals and they are "free range" by nature. Don't know how much it would fit your guidelines.

My new and improved same old job has taken a turn. I'm now being shunned. People that used to talk to me have fallen away and turned cold. Finally, somebody told me they are upset because of what I got, and that it's because they didn't have the (we'll say guts here) to ask for themselves. Well, I can manage to lose even when I'm winning. Oh, well, I'm just going to keep calm and carry on, they'll come around. I've watched them take jobs I deserved while I couldn't change jobs because they "needed me in this critical position." I think it will improve with time, but until then, maybe I can learn to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #161  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Kel View Post
Landonsbaby: what about protein shakes? I make a coffee smoothie thing with atkins shakes that's pretty good. Also, peanut butter mixed 50/50 with vanilla whey protein powder and made into little balls (then roll in cocoa) can help get your protein up too. I know you don't mix meat and milk - I think those could help you keep that rule. Use your dairy for "snacks," then meat and veggies for meals.
I was thinking about trying to find a gluten free, low carb protein powder. I saw one mentioned here the other day that seemed promising but of course I forget the name.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #162  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Kel View Post
My new and improved same old job has taken a turn. I'm now being shunned. People that used to talk to me have fallen away and turned cold. Finally, somebody told me they are upset because of what I got, and that it's because they didn't have the (we'll say guts here) to ask for themselves.
How ridiculous!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #163  

Yay! I was actually able to find No Artificial Growth Hormone Cabot in the Seriously Sharp variety at the local grocery store in the 8 ounce size. However, the 1 pound size of the same variety wasn't marked that way. They had stated that some varieties were "sometimes" hormone free. Eternal vigilance is needed. Even if you have gotten it before, CHECK it again!

Sorry to hear about your new trials at work, Arkansas Kel. The joys of office politics.

I'm beginning to explore the impact of blood type on diet. My knees had begun hurting at night in bed with the change in the weather. I verified my blood type, and according to D'Adamo I am suppose to avoid chicken because I'm a B. Once I avoided it, I haven't had the same kind of pain. We had been eating a ton of chicken prior to that because my DH loves chicken. He verified his blood type, too. He's an A. Chicken is fine for As. Wouldn't you know! I haven't done the secretor test to pin my "optimal diet" down further, but am planning to soon, to see if it makes any difference.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #164  

Wow, so many people checking back in! I love it!

I've never thought of using parmesan to coat chicken--that is definately on my "to try" list. Still not sure about the fauxtatoes.....

Arkansas Kel--you are not from the western half of the state, I read. When I first moved to SW AR I couldn't eat chicken for about 6 months--the smell alone from those chicken houses, actually VISITING the chicken houses for work and seeing them all cramped on those hauling trucks really turned me off. The final straw was seeing the chickens (still alive but too fat to even MOVE) on the side of the road after the trucks had passed because they'd been crowded out of the wires.

I got over that, though....Eventually. We are a growing world, and the bulk of the population can't afford organically or humanely raised poultry and livestock. I'm not sure that I really BELIEVE the claims of no added growth hormones on any commercial meat producer, but I still look for those.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 291.3/236.1/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
I was thinking about trying to find a gluten free, low carb protein powder. I saw one mentioned here the other day that seemed promising but of course I forget the name.
There is a vegetarian plan for Atkins if you google it (I don't think I'm allowed to give a link here) - it might give you some other protein options -- do you eat fish and are you gluten free? I use an app called CarbsControl that when I enter my food in shows carbs and bet carbs but also shows fats and calories - and you set goal ranges for the different things .. That could help in meeting goals ... Oh and do you like peanutbutter there is the powdered PB

Oops reread your post and I see you do eat fish ... So try adding more fish. Would you eat beef or pork if it is humanely raised? And like Kel says game meat - beans are an option and how about things like BocaBurgers, or tofu....

Last edited by rho1640; 10-27-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Closed Thread