Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #286  

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow, timely advice on the cloths that are too big. I'm struggling with that as well. I'll take all your advice and get rid of them as well. It certainly pays to keep checking in here. : ) Thank you, ladies.
kismet78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #287  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Exclamation Yikes!!!!

I went for a endoscopy/colonoscopy yesterday. Day prior was a prep day which means no solid food and only clear liquids and Ensure to drink. I also had to stop taking most of my medicine. I ate lightly yesterday after the procedure as instructed. Today when I got on the scale I gained 6 pounds. I don't understand it. I couldn't have eaten that many calories of refined sugars. That's mostly what is in Ensure and jello. Could it have been the medicine they give me intravenously? I know they gave me saline and then two kinds of medicine through the iv.

Anyway today I am doing the green menu. Will continue this way until I am back at my goal weight. Also trying to drink extra water to flush out the salt.

Will let you know how this progresses.
MrsPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #288  

S/C/G: 217/217/175

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhibes View Post
I went for a endoscopy/colonoscopy yesterday. Day prior was a prep day which means no solid food and only clear liquids and Ensure to drink. I also had to stop taking most of my medicine. I ate lightly yesterday after the procedure as instructed. Today when I got on the scale I gained 6 pounds. I don't understand it. I couldn't have eaten that many calories of refined sugars. That's mostly what is in Ensure and jello. Could it have been the medicine they give me intravenously? I know they gave me saline and then two kinds of medicine through the iv.

Anyway today I am doing the green menu. Will continue this way until I am back at my goal weight. Also trying to drink extra water to flush out the salt.

I bet it is your body reacting to the procedure and also trying to hang on to any nutrition it can. I would drink lots of water and see what happens! Good luck and I hope everything turned out okay!

Did you get snow today? My husband and daughter are in Steamboat enjoying 21 inches of new snow!
lv2ski2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #289  
Bonnie

Why did they get to go skiing and not you? Here in KS we got mostly sleet and freezing rain with a little bit of snow topping. Stayed in all day and chuckled to myself about your wanting to bake when you're home on a snow day. I'm the same way. Normally I would bake some chocolate chip cookies for Ron on a day like today but didn't think I could resist so I starting cleaning out the office and shredding old papers. Filled 5 large bags so far. Very therapeutic.

Last edited by MrsPhibes; 03-28-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #290  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I happen to work in GI Medicine so here's my 2 cents... if you used Golytely as apart of your prep, it is basically Miralax and Pedialyte which contains sugar/carbs/minerals/sodium - either way, I'm sure there is some water retention happening so I bet it will drop away quickly.
Hope it all went well :0)

Quote:

Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #291  

Quote:
Why did they get to go skiing and not you? Here in KS we got mostly sleet and freezing rain with a little bit of snow topping. Stayed in all day and chuckled to myself about your wanting to bake when you're home on a snow day. I'm the same way. Normally I would bake some chocolate chip cookies for Ron on a day like today but didn't think I could resist so I starting cleaning out the office and shredding old papers. Filled 5 large bags so far. Very therapeutic.

Yeah I caved to the cookies and made them! Stuck just to that! Had a couple but didn't seem to effect the scale at all! I'm hoping the shoveling snow counteracted that!
I had to stay home with my youngest b/c he had robotics practice. They won their state tournament back in December and are headed to Atlanta in April and also are presenting to the Govenor this week. So missing practice was not an option! Hoping maybe we'll get some more snow this week and hubby and I can sneak up next weekend.
Glad you got some cleaning done!
My parents got about a foot & half of snow in McPherson! They were sooo excited!
Have a good day!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #292  
Bonnie

Thanks for the information on taking the Miralax as part of the prep. This morning the scale was down a bit but I'm still up 2.5 pounds. It's better than 6 but not where I want to be. I am hoping that tomorrow brings another couple of pounds of lost water. The other thing that might be making me retain water is the fact that I stopped taking a medicine that has the nice side effect of also being a diuretic.

Good job on the snow shoveling to counteract the cookie episode. BTW what kind of cookies were they?

Hope you get to ski one more time before the end of the season. Ron and I have put our skis away for now and are going to start biking as soon as the weather is more cooperative. Today we are going to an event sponsored by Trek and a local bike shop. It's really too cold and wet to demo any bikes but looking will be fun.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #293  
MRC Repeat Offender

S/C/G: 251/151/151

Height: 5'9"

MrsPhibes-I had one a few months ago and the same thing happened to me. I shot up but then in a few days was right back down to normal. It was funny because as "cleaned out" as the whole procedure makes you, I was expecting to see a big loss

I'm home sick-have really bad cough, the kind that can clear a room, & sore throat. Went to the Dr yesterday and am on some good meds now but they knock me out. Living on soup and some nonfat sorbet that feels good on my throat & I'm not going to worry about the scale until I get over this!
Finz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #294  
Bonnie

Update. I am almost back to my pre-cleaned out weight but tomorrow I have an appointment with a surgeon to probably get my gall bladder removed. After the colon/endoscopy they did an ultra sound of my gall bladder and found a large polyp. Everything I read about those at the size mine is is not good. Wish it were a gall stone instead. So I am stress eating in response to my anxiety. Will let you all know about the results.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #295  

Mrsphibes-
Good luck with the surgery! Hang in there and be strong during the time of waiting. You can do it!

Question for you guys can you mix your dairy's in the am? I'm wondering if I can do 1/2 in my coffee and then have a small yogurt? Just curious!

Thanks!
Tina
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #296  
Bonnie

I don't see why you cannot mix your calories. As I understand it you try to limit your calories to 1200 per day. It really doesn't matter as long as the total is about right. The yogurts these days are 6 oz so you could have the other 2 oz. on your coffee and still be on plan calorie wise.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #297  

Quote:
I don't see why you cannot mix your calories. As I understand it you try to limit your calories to 1200 per day. It really doesn't matter as long as the total is about right. The yogurts these days are 6 oz so you could have the other 2 oz. on your coffee and still be on plan calorie wise.
Thanks! It's the first week of adding that dairy in so trying to figure it all out!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #298  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

I'm late to this & it's probably answered already, but it isn't calories (as in fat gained) - it's water weight from the extra sugar and the saline. I didn't gain from my colonoscopy, but I didn't lose either (so much for those "colon cleanses" that are supposed to make us lose up to 20 lbs, eh??)

Probably your water weight's gone by now for you, but just throwing that in....
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #299  
Bonnie

Saw the surgeon yesterday. Going for a cat scan and some further blood work next Wednesday. The preliminary blood tests showed a couple of abnormalities that need to be resolved before surgery. He reassured me that it probably is not malignant but we're doing the cat scan so that there are no surprises when they go the remove the gall bladder.

Haven't gone to get weighed lately seems like these health issues are more important at the moment.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #300  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Keep us posted. Hope everything turns out ok.

Cruising into week 4 of stabilization. I seem to be getting enough calories now (with the running). My stomach isn't growling and I don't feel hungry all the time now. Running 16 miles this week - less than 4 weeks to go before the half marathon!!
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote