Old 01-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #16  

[B]Hi Everyone: Well back here to another 6 inches of snow. It looks so beautiful but I guess it is time to get someone to get on the roof and get some of the snow off. Chapters phoned and my Dr. Phill book is in so will go and pick it up tomorrow. Nikki what Dr. Atkins book do you follow. I want to get one of his. Aleka, I have that SS book with the chili and it does look good. I am going to make some up to try later this week. MY DH appointment went good. He doesn't have to go down for another appointment untim the middle of Feb. Here I go again my problem with short forms, what is GMA and GNC? Had a great visit with my new grandson, He actually smiled at me. Brought back my step-fathers dog so he could go on a holiday. It is a little lap dog and has to be with somebody constantly. It takes some getting use too. She is 9 years old and has never been left in the house alone.My mothe never went out except to my house the last few years she was home.Now that he (my step-father) is alone he realizes what a problem he has on his hands, but at 9 it is to late to change her. He is really tied down. She is on a old sweater of my mom's right beside the computer. Well I guess I should go my DH has decided he is going on the roof! proving once again "no fool like a old fool". Will be back later Lynn
Old 01-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #17  

[B]Hi Again. Nikki How do you make your "legal" gravy? That sounds good. Lynn
Old 01-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #18  

Angry

lynn, glad you had a nice visit with your family, especially your new grandson. How old is he? He sounds adorable. That's the way our dog is, she's my lap dog. She does keep me warm though on these cold winter days. GMA is the TV show, Good Morning America, and GNC, I think it's General Nutrition Center. If you don't have any where you are, it's a healthfood store with all sorts of vitamins, suppliments, nutrition shakes, protein bars, etc. We're supposed to get some light snow tomorrow, but I heard probably some substantial snow next week.

Aleka
Old 01-21-2004, 04:04 PM   #19  

Hi,
It is a lovely 39 degrees. The sun is shining, I was outside without a jacket for awhile, but a person should wear one really. I even have my front window open. It's a little chilly, but it's great to have some fresh air in the house. I won't have it open long of course, the cats are loving it though.

Lynn, glad everything went well. Old dogs and old cats can be really set in their ways. When my dad died, I inherited his dog. She was a great little dog, but really spoiled. I tried to keep her in the house, but after a few years, I made her stay outside. She was a cocker spaniel and had such an aweful odor, no amount of washing could get rid of it. She was pretty pissed off about having to be outside all the time. But, she had a good life out there too.
I made legal gravy using ThickenThin not/Starch thickener. It is from www.expertfoods.com It has 2.3 fiber carbs and if you subtract fiber from the carb total(Dr. Atkins says you can) then there are 0 carbs. It is made of different vegetable gums and is a powder that has no taste. I bought this 8 oz bag over a year ago and I still have at least a 1/4 of it left. I don't use it often. It was expensive, compaired to cornstarch, but worth it to have some gravy sometimes (to me anyway). I found out about it on Suzannes website, from some other Somersizers. Some will not use it, since Suzanne doesn't endorse it or make it. I see nothing wrong with it myself, it's perfectly legal on Atkins. It works well, but if you use to much, you get really thirsty, I guess it thickens up your saliva too But used correctly, it doesn't. I learned that the hard way over Thanksgiving. Boy, everyone was thristy that meal

Tomorrow is my oldest DD (dear daughter) 26th birthday. She wanted a cake from one of the bakeries, I made a cheese cake today for myself. I tasted the cake batter and it is very, very good. Can't wait to have some. OHHH, I almost forgot, I got some liquid Splenda today that I ordered. It has no carbs and is really powerful. 4 drops equals 1 tsp of sugar. I used that in the cheese cake, so the carb count is really reduced now. I'll post the web address for the cake, it is an interesting website for recipies, I don't know if I posted it last week or not.

Later, Nikki
Old 01-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #20  

Here's the link to her recipe page. If you want the cheesecake recipe, scroll down to classic cheesecake on the right. I left out the crust to save carbs.
http://www.trulylowcarb.com/Recipes.htm
Old 01-21-2004, 04:15 PM   #21  

Lynn, I forgot, the Atkins book is Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. You can also go to their website and the plan is all there, with a lot of information. I think it's www.atkinscenter.com or just www.atkins.com either one will probably get you there. It's always good to have the book too though.
Nikki
Old 01-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #22  

Hi Everyone:

Another cold, snowy day. It is snowing as I post. As you have probably
guessed I have been absoulutely swamped at work. One day is just
blending into the next

Aleka, I have not decided about the lunch. I don't want to go but I really
don't know how to get out of it. As much as I don't like I don't
want to hurt her feelings either. I hope she doesn't smoke in the
restaurant when we go. is pushing us for a date to go so ........

Nikki, I like the sounds of those shoes!! Feet are important. As is I never
wear high heels anymore. I also dress for comfort. Thats great your DH
is working out!!! I wish mine would get motivated again. He is up to

Aleka, I should really look into the points program. I have the actual sheets
someone copied for me a few years ago. It would probably help me control
what I eat. My big problem is the evening. After work is when I do most of
my eating. Worst time of day I know.

Well, I hope you all have a great evening.
Anne.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:14 AM   #23  

Goodmorning Ladies: Another snowy day, the nice big fluffy flakes that are so beautiful. It has also warmed up so I will go for a walk later. Nikki I had a cocker spanial for 18 years and I didn't have a problem with odor. My present dog is a welsh springer spanial and she is 16 years old. I would of thought it would have been to cold outside for a spanial in the winter in Iowa. I will be checking out the sites for the recipes for the cheesecake. Sweets are not my problem I can go months without any but as soon as I start low carbing I CRAVE sweets. Is there a reason why I wonder? Aleka, my grandson is 2 1/2 months old. Our first grandchild and maybe our only as our daughter has no interest in having children. He is so beautiful, looks just like his father, (just a little prejudest do you think?) I wish there was spell check here. I can see a few words that don't look right. Oh well I guess you get the meaning. Yesterday I made a low carb pizza I saw Mollie Katzen do on TV. The crust is zucchini and cheeses, spices egg, and she put 1/4 cup of flour in but as I'm following SS I omitted that. She didn't squeese out excess moisture from the zucchini but I did asuming that the flour was for that purpose. Anyway add your toppings and voila! I enjoyed it, a nice change for lunch. I will have some for breakfast for a change. Well I'm off to check the atkins site. Talk to you later. Lynn
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 AM   #24  

Angry

Hello~

We're supposed to get some light snow today then back into the frigid weather again.

ANNE, sorry you're swamped at work. Is it normal for this time of year? If smoked it would bother me too. That is something I have to stay clear of, any kind of smoke because of my sinus problem. Do you have the same strict laws about smoking that some states do? A few of the states around us have banned smoking altogether in restaurants and it's very pleasant to go into them. We tend to go to restaurants in NH that are smoke free. Personally, I need calorie control to lose weight because my metabolism is so screwed up from many years of yo-yo dieting and starving myself to lose weight. So, the points work for me. You could try counting points to see how it goes or just use their portion sizes. Their fat portion is rather skimpy. If you do count points, let me know how it's working for you.

nikki, DH & I always get New Balance walking shoes. We absolutely love them. They are really comfortable. A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DD. Thank you for the low carb website. I went into it and printed out the recipe for the cheesecake. It sounds delicious.

lynn, how is your step father's dog doing? I'm sure the dog doesn't know what's going on being in a strange environment. Have you read any of Dr. Phil's book and have you decided on Atkins or staying with SSizing?

Hope you all have a great day.
Aleka
Old 01-22-2004, 07:47 AM   #25  

Thumbs down

lynn, I think we were posting at the same time. Your zucchini recipe sounds good, I think I will try it. How much zucchini, spices, cheese, do you use? I have seen some SS recipes where you use hamburger and cheese for the crust. Do you add meat to your pizza? If not, maybe you could substitute whole-wheat flour or something they call winter-wheat flour (it's whole wheat flour but it's white) for the white flour. I did find the winter wheat in the grocery store recently. If you don't eat a lot of sweets and crave them when you low carb, it could be because you're denying yourself from having sweets. It's human nature that when you deny yourself anything, that's what you crave. The sugarless desserts should help you out with your cravings. Your grandson sounds adorable. They are so cute at that age. Congratulations. Your D may decide to have children, you never know.

Take care,
Aleka
Old 01-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #26  

Goodmorng Aleka: Trixie is doing prety good. She seems to be adjusting not to badly. What people to to pets in the name of love. She has stopped shaking so that makes me feel better. Has been a little nasty with my dog but my dog so far is okay with her. I guess she (my dog Coco) is to old to care. They have had some battles over the years. I have read a bit of Dr. Phil's book but want to read Dr. Atkins also. If it is going to be a life style change this time I want to pick the plan that is the best for my lifestyle. Oh Aleka and Nikki I forgot to tell you I am losing weight! At christmas I left a pair of slacks at my brothers and just got them back AND they are much looser! I might get brave and try on medium jeans. I will count laying on bed to get zipper up lol! Talk to you later. Lynn
Old 01-22-2004, 08:06 AM   #27  

Hi Again: Yes we are posting at the same time. Go to www.molliekatzen.com/show/zucchini_pizza.html I left out the flour in crust. I used partchment paper instead of the flour and oil on pan. I used a jelly roll pan for a crisper crust and used a bit of spaghetti sause instead of fresh tomatoes. So play with it to suit your taste. Enjoy and let me know if you enjoyed it Lynn
Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 AM   #28  

Aleka: I also used just egg whites Lynn
Old 01-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #29  

Good morning,
I have to run like a rabbit today to get everything done that I want to. But, I have to start my day off with you guys or I feel like I've missed something.

Lynn, it does get cold here. That dog had a bad skin problem that caused the odor. We tried lots of different treatments, but it never got rid of it. She had a dog house, lots of fur and a heating pad. When it got down to the single digits, I always brought the dogs into the garage with the cats. It's heated by a wood stove. The cats hated that and the dogs had a lot of fun chasing the cats all over. But they all knew each other for years and sometimes, I'd find the cats sleeping in the dog houses with the dogs, so they weren't that afraid of them. All my dogs are gone now. I would like another, but DH says we have enough animals, we have 4 cats and I'm always taking in any strays that wander up here.
Congratulations on your weight lose. You are doing great. Doing your homework about eating plans is for sure the way to do it best. It is much easier to stay committed to a program if you like it and think you can do it for the long term. I love meat, eggs and fish. I have no problem with a high protein/low carb program.

I think Aleka is right about craving something, just because you can't have it. Try making something that is sweet tasting.

Aleka, thanks for the birthday wishes for DD. She is off today, so after her birthday, she is coming over for a movie and dinner. I'm making chicken kiev and some low carb veggies.

Anne, smoking bothers me a lot now too, since I quit anyway. People can still smoke in restaurants here, but many have voluntarily banned it. It is disgusting to eat with people smoking next to you. In work relationships, you need healthy boundries. You said before that you try hard not to get too close to your co workers, so I"m sure this is making you uncomfortable in more ways than one. Besides she is the If you have to go, just to keep her happy, then go and think of it as a business luncheon. When I'm in uncomfortable situations, I usually start a grocery list in my head, just to distract me enough to tolerate the situation.

Take care, Nikki
Old 01-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #30  

Thumbs down

lynn, thank you for the site. I went into it and printed out a copy of the pizza recipe. I will definitely let you know how DH & I liked it. It really does sound good. Did you reheat it for breakfast? If so, how was it? AWWW, the poor dog shaking like that. She has had a lot of strange things happening to her that she probably just does not understand. She's probably not used to sharing space with another dog, but I'm sure she'll be fine after a while. I had forgotten this, when DH & I were SSizing every once in a while we would get really bad sugar cravings. DH would go to the store and buy a bag of cookies and we would sit and devour the whole bag. That never happened before, like you, I really don't eat sweets.

nikki, enjoy your chicken kiev. I went grocery shopping today and bought a broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast at the meat counter in the supermarket. They are really big and DH & I share one. That's what we're having for dinner tonight along with a 1/2 sweet potato for me and 1/2 regular potato for DH, plus veggies. I bought a pkg. of Atkins Cranberry Orange muffin mix at Walmart. Can't wait to try it.

ANNE, hope you're having a good day at work.

I don't know if any of you have ever done this. I cut up some cukes, placed them in a bowl along with some cut up bell pepper strips and grape tomatoes. I poured some balsamic vinegar over them and some salt & pepper. It was so good. I used to make this a long time ago but for one reason or another got out of the habit.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
Aleka