in the Finance office where I was not being interrupted by patients. This
is a real adjustment for me.

I am going to set my goal to be below 200 by my 47th BD in March. If I stay
away from the nuts and watch portions I should be able to do it. Its less
than 10 pounds and I have 2 months. Aleka, I will pull out my points info
over the weekend and have a look see. It will give me an idea of just how
much I eat. I am great at keeping off the hundred pound loss but its hard
for me to get beyond this point.

Its brutally cold here. Makes walking outside at lunch really unpleasant.

Have a great night everyone.
Anne.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #32  

Goodmorning Ladies: Today is a winter wonderland. It is encrediably beautiful. We had approx. 13 inches yesterday and last night and are to receive another 10 inches today. The ski lodges must be very happy. Nikki and Anne I read your comments about smoking with interest. I to am a former smoker (heavy) and quit 3 years ago this month. I am always apoligising to my kids about what I made them breath for all their lives at home. My DH still smokes but I just can't take the smoke anymore so he smokes outside now. Smoking controlled my life, eg. were I went so I could smoke. I have often wondered if I am a compulsive personality. When I eat, I eat too much,I smoked to much. My husband was to start Zyban at xmas. He took 2 pills and was in the Dr.'s office about another problem and had 2 seizures. Off to hospital he went and a few tests later they have decided he is in that very small percental that can't take zyban. I guess he will be smoking for a while longer he just doesn't seem to want to quit. Spent a lot of time on the Atkins site yesterday. Still toying with the idea of Atkins.Aleka glad you remembered the cookie incident I'm still craving sweets even though I'm not a sweets person. My poor dog is having a rough time of it. Her arthritis medication isn't holding her in this ertreme cold. Called vet and he bumped up the dosage hope it helps soon. Well guess I should get on with the rest of my day. Talk to you all later
Old 01-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #33  

Good Morning ladies,
Lynn, I have that obssessive/compulsive thing when it comes to habits. I smoked (too much), drank too much, ate too much, spent too much. I just never tried to control my behavior very well either. The way I quit, having tried several times and all the ways (nicotine gum, patch, zyban, etc) was I made up my mind that I was stronger than this habit. I knew I could change my life. I believed in myself and the power of my own stubborn nature. It wasn't easy, in fact sometimes I still want to now and it's been 3 years for me too. I remember some one said, "If your going to dock a dogs tail (cut it short) you don't cut if off joint by joint. You cut it off all at once. The same thing for cigarettes. If you try to slowly cut down, all your doing is making the pain last longer." That was true for me, I just quit all at once. I'm sorry to hear your DH still smokes. I wish I hadn't put my family through my smoking either.
I had an old dog that had arthritis. It is just painful watching them, I know. If you can get a doggy heating pad for his bed, that is helpful, if you don't already have one. I found some at Walmart for around $20. I use them for the cats.

Anne, I know you can lose that weight by your birthday. Keep up the BF and the walking. Enjoy your weekend off too, you sure do deserve it.

Aleka, about those sugar cravings. Yesterday, DH asked me to bring him home some leftover birthday cake. He hates cake, but was wanting some sugar. Funny, huh? He has never been a sweet lover either, but since we've been doing low carb eating, he is getting the most incredible urges for sweet stuff. I saw that Breyers has low carb ice cream in Walmart now. I think I'll get some for him and make some ice cream floats using Diet Rite sodas. I can get all the flavors, but the tangerine is my favorite.
The cheesecake saved my butt yesterday. I really wanted some of that birthday cake too (I've had this incredible urge to eat icing). The cheesecake was great and satisfied me.

Better get on with my day, Take care, Nikki
Old 01-23-2004, 01:15 PM   #34  

Angry

Good afternoon everyone,

I never smoked. I did try it when I was in high school, but I didn't like the taste it left in my mouth so never took up the habit. Both my parents smoked, and when I was 12 or 13, my mother gave me premission to smoke. She said that she would rather me smoke in front of her than behind her back. Well, I guess she took all the fun out of it for me. One of my friends smoked for years, then she stopped. She is worse than I am about people smoking.

ANNE, I know you can reach your goal by your birthday. You have really come a long way already.

lynn, many years ago we had a Boston Terrier that had arthritus in her spine. This was before there was any kind of arthritus medication for animals. We had to give her 1/2 aspirin a day and try and keep her quiet. Hope the higher dose of medication brings some relief to your dog.

nikki, I wonder what it is about having sugar cravings? We used to wonder why before SSizing we could buy a bag of cookies and eat 2 or 3 cookies and be satisfied, but while SSizing we'd practically eat the whole bag. Since I started eating more of the good carbs I don't have any cravings. I'm wondering if your body is trying to tell you to feed it more carbs.

Enjoy the rest of your day ladies.
Aleka
Old 01-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #35  

Aleka, that could be, or like you said before, it could be more psycological.
I'm having no sugar cravings, except for that darned icing and since I ate some cheesecake, I'm over that. DH keeps on eating carbs, like potatoes, sometimes he sneaks a few Krispy Kremes or DQ. He still wants a lot of sugar too. I just decided to keep all that stuff out of the house and if he wants it, he can eat it away from here. But, I do have potatoes and bread for him and he eats them every day. He's trying to avoid sugar, but he's not as committed as I am.
I heard the difference between being involved and being committed is like a bacon and egg breakfast. The chicken was involved, the pig was committed.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #36  

While rummaging around the internet tonight, I found this recipe, it looks good and uses simple ingredients. Thought you all might like it

Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche

Ingredients:
1.5 lb. very lean hamburger
1 small chopped onion
4 slices crisp-cooked bacon, chopped in bits
3 eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup cream
8 oz. shredded chedder (I prefer the 4-cheese blend)
garlic salt to taste
black or white pepper

Brown hamburger in skillet with onion. Remove and mix in bowl with bacon pieces, breaking up any larger clumps with a fork or pastry mixer until you have a fine mix. Drain well of any excess grease and press into the bottom of a deep-dish pie pan. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine remaining ingredients in mixer bowl and whip well. Pour mixture over beef "crust" and bake 40-45 minutes until top is browned and "set". Cool 15-20 minutes before slicing.

They said it was good with mustard and dill pickle on the side or on top of the slice.
Think I'll try it for supper in a couple of days.
Nikki
Old 01-24-2004, 06:55 AM   #37  

Good Morning All:

Nikki, love the look of that recipe. I am going to try it this week!!! Great
timing I will be going shopping this morning.

Lynn, I quit smoking 13 years ago when my father( in his late fifties at the time) developed lung cancer for the second time. My dad is still living, he has had four surgeries for this beast and last year had a round of radiation.
I was 33 when I quit. I have five sons ranging in age of 14 year old twins
up to a 23 year old. Sadly, my 19 year old smokes. My brother also had
a 4-way bypass at 42. The doctor also said.....Cigarette smoking....My
brother too is smoke free now although he still chomps on nicorette gum.
I too am a compulsive personality. When I read Nikkis' description of herself,
I am her twin in every way

Hi Aleka, I am going to read my points info today. I am either going to go
that way or back to Suzannes plan. (love that one)

I had a real winner of day yesterday!!! came over to the cash office
using every 4 letter word you ever heard. She was furious
talking about Tanya. She wants to fire her and I don't think the higher ups
will let her. told me she has 3 job interviews next week. She claims
she is going to quit If she does, I will
buy a bottle of champagne!!!!

Talk to you later...
Anne.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #38  

Angry

A good Saturday morning to you all,

In yesterday's post I meant to congratulate all of you for giving up smoking and being able to stay away from it for a number of years, but I had a blonde moment. You all accomplished a great deal by doing that and I hope you're very proud of yourselves.

It's back in the chilly temps again with wind chills. Hopefully this won't last as long as it did last week.

ANNE, hope you're having a nice relaxing weekend away from work.

nikki, thank you for sharing the recipe. It sounds so easy to make and delicious so I copied and pasted it. I love crumbled up hamburg and scrambled eggs. I occasionally have it. I add some cheese and whatever vegetable that's left over from the night before. It really is very filling.

lynn, How is you dog doing? We have to take our's to the Vet Mon. morning for her annual shots. She's a brat in the waiting room, barking and growling at the other dogs that are somewhat larger than her. Good luck with your choice of Atkins or SSizing. I do have the Atkins for Life Book, thinking I'd follow one of the controlled carb plans without going through induction. But, I don't care for the taste of soy milk and am afraid to drink whole milk because I do have high cholesterol which seems to be under control at the moment. SSizing brought it down.

Another thing I forgot to tell you...another blonde moment When I went to WW last week I had to stay after the meeting so the leader could go over the program with me. Afterwards, we were talking and I told her that I had previously been doing a food combining, lower carb, WOE where you ate good fats, whole foods, etc. I then told her that once I gave up everything with a lot of sugar in it, like no fat products, and started eating good fats my cholesterol went down within the normal range. I could tell by her face that she didn't want to hear that because she very quickly remarked that someone told her that they had just come off of Atkins and their cholesterol went way up. Then I told her that everyone was different, but it surely worked for me. Then remembering what Fergie said on Larry King about not eating vegetables, I told her that when I was low carbing I never ate so many vegetables.

Have a good Saturday everyone!
Aleka
Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 AM   #39  

Smile

ANNE, I think we were posting at the same time! That's wonderful news that is thinking about quitting. That would ease a lot of the tension in your office. Keep your fingers crossed that she gets one of the jobs she's interviewing for. I love Suzanne's plan too, especially the food. But, the food combining just doesn't fit with my lifestyle. What I am doing is doing a modified version of SSizing (no food combining) counting WW points. My favorite breakfast that stays with me is whole-wheat toast w/part-skim Ricotta cheese. I should be eating fat-free, but

I don't know if I've told any of you this, but my mother died of lung cancer, from smoking, in 1979, a month shy of her 64th birthday. Two of my uncles (my mother's brothers) smoked they both died of lung cancer, one being my age, 55, when he died, the other was in his 70's. Two of my aunts that smoked died from other causes, but they both were starting to get lung cancer when they died. I have 2 cousins that smoke and I asked one of them if she wasn't afraid to smoke given our family history. She just shrugged and said no.

Bye again,
Aleka
Old 01-24-2004, 08:14 AM   #40  

Goodmorning Ladies: Aleka my email just said I had mail as I was reading your posting so I checked your time and we are posting at the same time again. Another short night? The dog is still very stiff hopefully we will see some improvement today. the problem with increasing her meds. her appetite increases also. Now we are talking about a already over weight spanial so extra weight increases the pressure on the back legs a catch 22 situation but I just want to see her comfortable. My DH said maybe we will have to go south to get her comfortable.LOL, He just wants to go golfing. Anne smoking does affect so many areas of our health. With your family history I wouldn't tempt fate. I am a cancer survivor and still see a Dr. at Princess Margaret Hospital. I strongly beleive that once cancer is in your body it stays there, it may be dorment for years but you have to "help" it stay in that state. What hospital do you work in? I also go to Mt. Sinai on occasion. I consider not smoking the best present I ever gave myself. Aleka you are sooooo lucky you never started. Thank God my kids are death against smoking. Aleka I just stopped to read what I wrote and had to correct the spelling of your name 2x. My DD's boyfriend of 7 years is named Aleks so if it slips by me you will know why. Nikki the recipe looks fabulous and something I think my DH will like. I often have to cook seperate veggies for him (Doesn't like any green except peas, wants potatoes or rice every meal). He also doesn't need to lose any weight. He has high cholestrol and is on medication for it. Some days I have a hard time planning meals. It used to be worse my daughter follows low fat when she lived at home. Well the Dh just arrived back with the Saturday papers and that Canadian institution Tim Horton's coffee. You all have a great Saturday and I will catch you later.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #41  

Hi Again: Have any of you been to the www.lowcarbcafe.com site. Not bad
Old 01-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #42  

lynn, I'm usually up by 7:00, if not before, I'm not a late sleeper. DH is usually up by 4:00 am. He's the type that when we drive to FL on vacation, we have to leave about 3:00 am. I can't function at that hour of the morning. What medication is your DH on for his cholesterol? I'm on Lipitor, and I have been for quite a few years. I inherited THAT gene from my mother. Congratulations on being a cancer survivor. That's fantastic! You are right about cancer, once it's in your body it's there, hopefully never rearing it's ugly head again.

Aleka
Old 01-24-2004, 10:47 AM   #43  

Good morning,
Anne, I sure hope is serious and not just stomping her feet to make some noise. That poor girl, Tanya. It must be just miserable for her and for everyone else too. If you buy champagne, try Asti Spumanti, if you've never had it. It's sweet and bubbly and I love that stuff.

Aleka, about talking to your WW leader about the cholesterol. I was on an on line meeting last night at ediets. Dr. Dean Edell was giving a lecture and asking questions. After about 15 min, I just turned it off. He is really anti low carb diets and the things he was saying were just echo's of what I hear from the low fat community. I don't understand why they are so afraid of low carb diets. They think it's all about eating meat and fat. They never take the time to really look at the diets and also the fact that before eating like this, most people were not eating very well anyway.

Lynn, almost everyone in my family died of cancer of one form or another. I agree about it staying with you and also think you have to keep it dormant. In fact, my theory is that everyone has the ability to develop cancer and that we have to fight it by living as well and as healthfully as possible to try and keep it in check. Good luck to you in your battle. I also believe in positive imagery (spelling?) that good thoughts produce good chemical reactions. Actually that has been proven in a sense. I've heard the chemical make up of tears of joy are different than the chemical make up of sad tears.
I know what you mean about cooking for different diets. My DD was low fat and tried to be a vegetarian too. She still eats low fat, but stopped being a vegan right after she moved out.
Thank you for the web site address. I know what I"m going to be doing today. I love looking at recipes.
Last night, I ordered 2 low carb cookbooks. DH will flip out when he finds out. He thinks I have enough cookbooks. I probably do, I can never seem to have enough of them. To me, I'd rather look at cookbooks than read a novel. At least if their low carb, they are more in step with my diet plan. Low carb cooking can be as simple as grilling meat and steaming veggies or as complicated as using different nut flours and protein powders to bake with. I'm interested in branching out into the more adventurous cooking aspect of it.

Have a good one, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 01-24-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:08 AM   #44  

Hi Everyone:

You guys are right about cancer. My dad once went 5 years without a
reccurence. We thought he was cured....Everytime he goes for his check
up (which is soon again) I feel sick to my stomach. He has towed the line.
It's just doesn't seem fair at all. Don't get me wrong ladies, we feel blessed
my dad has been with us all these years. His particular type of lung cancer
was very deadly. The respirologist said my dad was the first patient
he ever met that made it this many years. I have said to my family a million
times if I have said it once, no matter what happens at this point, Dad won
this thing.....
Lynn my dad goes to Princess Margarets too. Small world. If I'm not being
too nosey what kind of cancer did you have? I work at St.Michael's by the
way.

As far as goes, I was so worn out by the time I got in last night I
feel asleep before 7pm!!!!

Anne.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #45  

HI again,
Anne, your dad really is a winner. I'm praying that this next visit will go well for him.

I wanted to say, before when I was talking about cancer, I realize genetics and somethings beyond our control do have a big effect on what happens. There are so many chemicals in our food, water and air that are cancer causing. Just recently, there was a report to be cautious about eating farm raised salmon, because they are full of cancer causing chemicals from the feed that they eat. Of course, the salmon is still being sold here and the wild salmon is so expensive, I couldn't touch it. Still, it just points to the fact that what you think is something healthy, and was, no longer is. Anyway, just got to thinking about that and didn't want to sound to flip.
Nikki