Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-14-2004, 06:54 AM   #16  
Ilene the Bean

I use most if not all of the above depending on the circumstances...

Years ago, when I was on Weight Watchers I used to sing to myself "I'm a Weight Watcher, I'm a Weight Watcher....." to the tune of "I'm a girl watcher, I'm a girl watcher ...." I loved that tune and it kept me going... I'm not sure but it could have been a commercial for WW at the time, this was in the 80's...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #17  

Airegrrrl,

I LOVED your mantra!!! I am teaching yoga, and also I am severe asthmatic - hence my life is breath...I try to run now and only was I can run is count my breath in, breath out, count the speed with which I breathe, etc. I can only run max 7km right now, but I am woring on it... Some days I can not even make 3km, so working on my breath is really important for me.
I am also very impulsive person, sometimes I like to say: "I love listen to myself, as often I really can say interesting things!" - that is the result of talking first, before even thinking... Your words are gold for me - breathe, wait, and it all counts! I have the as sticky above my desk in the office!!!
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:13 AM   #18  

Default article

All of these mantras are so inspiring. I'm a writer working on a body-image article about the power of mantras so if any of you would like to offer quotes to my story, please contact me. I think a lot of dieters/maintainers could benefit from these empowering words. (I write for "First for Women" magazine.) Thanks and I wish you continued good luck, Lisa
maxbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #19  
Mel

After negotiating last week-end's round of holiday parties and seeing my friends, family and neighbors spilling over their clothes while complaining that they just can't seem to do anything about the fact that they are getting bigger every year (drink in one hand, fried wonton in the other), and fending off endless bits off food and drink that I didn't want, I think my new mantra is "MY LIFE IS MY CHOICE."

I'm old enough that I don't really care if someone doesn't understand my eating habits. I've also been doing this long enough that the people closest to me know why I eat the way I do, and why I'll be at the gym without fail. They are my habits. As Karen said, I own this body.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talks2flowers
I found my mantra in the maintainer's forum! (thanks, Mrs Jim!). I ask myself if I'm renting or buying my new body. It's been working for me ever since I read Mrs Jim's post a couple of months ago on this forum.
As a homeowner who has just bought a house on my own for the first time, I really like the analogy. In the past, after losing weight, I always slipped back into my old eating habits and all my weight came back and brought friends. This time, as I drive past the fish and chip shop, I ask myself if I'm renting or buying and so far, I've kept driving and headed home for a healthy meal!
Wow...thanks!

I don't generally do the mantra thing but I do like that phrase...do you own your weight loss or are you just renting it? (hey, if you ARE renting it, make sure you at least have a very nice, long-term lease... )

Another quote that comes to mind:

A sliver leads to a slab...a slab leads to a slob! (that's a Richard Simmonsism BTW)
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #21  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Another quote that comes to mind:

A sliver leads to a slab...a slab leads to a slob! (that's a Richard Simmonsism BTW)
Ooooh, along those lines - this is me to a 'T':

One cookie is too many but a dozen aren't enough.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Ooooh, along those lines - this is me to a 'T':

One cookie is too many but a dozen aren't enough.
Change that "Dozen" to "box" and you've got a picture of me during Girl Scout Cookie Season... Those thin mints are deadly!
Old 12-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #23  
Mel

Does anyone have a recipe approximating Girl Scout thin mints?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #24  
Meg

Ah, memories of doing a line of Thin Mints ....

Mel, are you talking about a healthy, nutritious, 'clean' version of Thin Mints or do you want a nasty, calorie and sugar-laden one ? (cuz I got one of those )
Old 12-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #25  
Mel

I was actually kidding because Thin Mints and I have a real bad history , but if it's possible to make a healthy "clean" version, well...I'll eat it!

Mel
Old 12-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #26  
Meg

Cottage cheese, of course, with mint extract and unsweetened cocoa powder, a little Splenda. Voila - Thin Mints!
Old 12-21-2004, 05:36 PM   #27  
Mel

Not even I could get into too much trouble with that!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #28  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Cottage cheese, of course, with mint extract and unsweetened cocoa powder, a little Splenda. Voila - Thin Mints!
A bit labor-intensive for me...I just wait until GS Season, Jim orders the cookies, I snort the fumes from the empty box.

hmmm....maybe I can grind the box into powder and do lines a la Scarface!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #29  
Old Cackler

i'm just sticking my head up from work, and from making about 200 truffles!!! honest.. it didn't start out that way. i said 'just make this much,' so i dumped a quart of heavy cream into the saucepan and added a couple of pounds of chocolate, and I'VE DIPPED ABOUT 200 TRUFFLES SO FAR AND I'M NOT DONE!!!!

soooo. how about something simple? like dipping apricots into the chocolate? why bake???

hmmm. as for mantras - since i've avoided this thread like the plague because i can't meditate very well - i've been eyeing things and saying OUT LOUD: 'my spirit does not want _____' [chocolate, pretzels, chips, mac and cheese, whatever]. and it's been working fairly well...

you should see the piles of chocolate-smeared paper towels around the kitchen because i don't want to lick my fingers!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #30  
Mel

You are a brave a strong woman, Jiffy!
Better shred those paper towels asap

Mel