Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

This is a great thread for those who want support, helpful hints, friendship and a great bunch of people to communicate with. This thread has existed for a long time and I keep re-starting it whenever the old one gets too long. Feel free to stop in and chat, we are not a "closed" group and welcome newcomers. Some of us have been together for well over a year, some only a few days, but we care about each other. We offer tips, we share, we pick each other up of the floor when we've had rough times and we applaud when someone does well.
So, please do stop on by and share a bit, support is what it's all about! We can really do this together!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #2  

Ann, ah-ha, you too caught the closet bug! Good for you! I think, when back from vacation, I may overhaul my own closet too. I weeded out a few things the other day, but I truly need to go through it all and try on several things and make decisions. It is time consuming.
Paige, I think Ann was right, it is fun once you get into it. It is "freeing" to get rid of things and feel successful with your weight loss. Also, trying on new clothing and buying it when you are a few sizes less than you were is very satisfying too. I'm looking forward to it.
On a serious note, Paige, I honestly hope I do "go" first (not to haunt my spouse, though) as I know I'd be so lonely without him. I think he would do better than I by himself than I would do without him. However, we can't predict or ask for things, we get what we get.
Erika (makes me wonder where our other Erica is!) I'm glad you can post on vacation. Macaroni and cheese at a relatives house sounds wonderful to me, that is one of my "trigger foods", it's creamy and comforting and I love it. I have to be careful. I do have a great WW recipe from one of my older WW cookbooks that helps get that craving out of the system, though. If someone reminds me when I get home from vacation, I'd be glad to type it out.
Ann, I couldn't possible go about a month without weighing myself. It totally IS an addiction for me. Also, I liked when you said "grown into" your skinnier pants. It made me think of personal growth vs. body growth. We are on a journey and growing in knowledge and in dietary skills, after all! I thought it was a cute way to put it.
Laura, good to hear from you again, I hope you get back in touch with us more regularly! I miss you!
As for me. I treated myself to a Subway 7 point sandwich for lunch today. I am so BORED with the same old things I have around the house for lunches. As I am leaving for 10 days tomorrow, I don't want to stock up the house on fresh foods, I'll do that up at the lake. I've promised my WW leader that I will continue to journal each day while I am away and I hope that keeps me on track.
I have high speed internet up at the lake so you will will still have to put up with me! Well, off I go to catch up on cleaning, laundry and all sorts of stuff so I can get ready for the trip. I really like to leave a clean home when I go away instead of coming home to a mess. Walking into a dirty house makes me not feel like I am rested and had a good vacation. Walking into a picked up and reasonably clean home always feels good and then you say to yourself "It's good to be home"!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #3  
kpe
Paige

Well I'm just taking a quick break... still cleaning the closet!!! Of course doing that caused me to clean the bath and bedroom too!!!! Hope your feeling better Paige... I hate migranes!

I'll be back later!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #4  

Linda-The weather isn't too bad here...it's 87 out. I've had cold chills all day, so I've been covered up with a comforter! I really have a tough time with migraines; this one luckily only lasted a few hours (I've had them last
12+ hours before) but it has left me feeling like I'm "hung over." I've been trying to also get the mountain of laundry that is in our bedroom folded...not a fun task to do, but I can at least sit down to do it. I have just felt so unproductive this week!!!

I decided not to go to the 5:30 wi, so I'll have to go tomorrow. It's also TOM, so I think that might of taken any loss that I had. *grumble* I just feel like eating a piece of cake. Or some doughnuts, which is kind of funny because I don't really care much for them!

Chat later...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Hey there everyone,
Just a quick stop in. I'm not being the greatest these past couple of days. I strayed away from sticking to my plan, boy did that ever work so good last week! I didn't weigh in this week, but I definitely need to go. I haven't done it in weeks. Definitely scale avoidance which is not good! Hope all is well, and I'll check back in later.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #6  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

S/C/G: 182/182/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey Everyone! I had class today, came home and crashed. My sinuses are killing me!
I was wondering........I have a problem with never feeling full, which makes me eat, and eat, and eat! I have an appetite that won't stop. This makes me nervous starting WW. I am weak, and terrified I will give in. Anyone else have that problem???

It is also TOM for me too. Maybe a good thing I am not starting WW till next week. TOM is TWICE as bad for my appetite! I just wish I could feel FULL!!!!

Paige, I sure hope the migranes stay away for a while. I use to get them too, and would have them so bad I threw up. Any idea what triggers yours?

Ok, well, I am going to check on my kiddo and her friend. I will be back on later!

Kim

Last edited by o2bskinny; 07-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #7  

Paige2, you are being such a good girl cleaning that closet! By the way, I may be putting my own house on the market in about a year. We only moved to this town (much too populated for me) due to the school system, after my youngest graduates, we can go more out in the country. I'll be waiting to make sure where she ends up in college before we make a choice, though. So, I need to try to make my own closets look as spacious and as well organized as I can. Unloading extra clothing that doesn't fit is a great way to do that.
Paige, it was 93 outside here when I got home earlier today. It's really humid as well, so I'm awfully glad to have spend the afternoon doing indoor things. The chills usually don't accompany a typical migraine, they usually accompany an illness/fever. I hope you will be OK.
Erica! Darling! What can we do to get you on program and keep you there? I need to become your personal coach or something! I wish I lived closer to NY state as I'd come there with my clipboard and whistle and stand over you.
Plan, Plan, Plan, Journal, Journal, Journal, water, water, water, movement, movement, movement.... keep chanting..... We all know the key to success.
As for me, I did OK today but I worry about our vacation. I'm straying from plan tonight as I am so busy packing, cleaning and organizing. But, I have points, I'm "good" with having a Greek Salad delivered. It's a hot night, I'm working hard, salad is a good thing. My daughter and I are both getting salads and splitting an order of fries... yes, I know, fries. But, I will portion them and I have the points, do don't worry. It is the answer to a very long craving and by splitting a small order, I think it will be a good choice for me vs. going wild.
I've done so well on flex points this week. Since I began my new journal on Tuesday, I've only used 2 flex points. So, I can spare using the three or four extra ones I'll require to get through today.
Well, time to get back to work. I took a quick break to check to see if an e-mail from my DH showed up. He usually e-mails me from his laptop when he gets on the train in NYC so I know when to expect him. He made the 4pm train, so will be home by 8:30 PM. He's going to have a surprise! For a change, his darling wife (me!) cleaned our bedroom and put away all the junk and sewing stuff that usually clutters up the place. It almost looks like we're expecting company. After supper, I will vacuum in the and clean our bathroom so it will be sparkling when he arrives. He's going to be proud of me. If I have time, I'll vacuum the rest of the house and dust, what the heck and I'll even maybe work off a bit of those flex points!
Take care ladies, Paige I'm sending you health vibes!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #8  

Kim, from what I gather, you have yet to physically start WW and have yet to go and get all their information? So, if that is so, you really shouldn't be stressing. Have you read up on their programs at all? Don't worry so much yet.
Drink plenty of water for now. Eat well, eat healthy, have high fiber foods and relax until you weigh in and get the information.
I tried to attach a photo to this of me that my daughter took. I'm in my new "official work out" outfit and smiling on the way to the gym. I hope it comes through ok.
Linda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lindagoestothegym.jpg (52.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #9  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

S/C/G: 182/182/130

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I have. I was on it a few years ago.
I just started thinking about it today when I was eating and kept going back for more. What if I can't do this? What if I give in??? It doesn't matter if it is weight watchers, or not, I am ALWAYS hungry!! Even when I am 'full'......I know.......take a day at a time. I am so afraid of failure. I really do want it to work. Not just for me this time but for my little girl. I stress too much don't I?
Maybe I am just having an emotional TOM.
I can't do it without you guys though.......I know your support will help alot.
Hang in there with me......I can't WAIT for that ticker to move!!!!!!
Kim

Last edited by o2bskinny; 07-26-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #10  

Hello everyone,it's been a while.
I missed looking at this board so much in KY, I tried to log on but just couldn't download very much. Anyways the trips and the wheather was beautiful. I hope everyone is doing well, I am actually leaving again tomorrow out of town, my friend invited me to go along with her and her son to the beach. As far as my eating well as hard as I tried to stay op I was completly off. For this next trip my friend is watching her calories and doing a good job of it so hopefully she will be inspirational. Anyways, I got to get packing if I can log on over there I will if not have a good weekend.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #11  

Kim-We all struggle and fall off the wagon. The most important thing is to stick it out and work your way through it. Take one day at a time...even if you mess that day up (and we all do that!) there will always the next day.

You said you "used to get migraines"...HOW did you get them to stop?!!!! I got my first one the last day of sixth grade, and they have increased in number and severity since. I always get sick to my stomach with them...the one before this one I basically camped out in the bathroom the entire night. That is the most sick I've ever been with one. They just take so much out of me...even when they are over, I can't function; my head is so sore and my body so tired. I have no idea what triggers them. There isn't a specific food (today I hadn't even eaten yet when it started...but the last one was right directly after I had had a prefectly "on plan" meal at Chili's!) I've been prescribed four different meds (at different times) to take as soon as I get the first sign that I'm getting a migraine...nothing works once they are started. I do take Topamax, though, to prevent them, and that has helped. I've only gotten three since September. I hate taking that medication, though...it's nickname is Dope-amax because it makes you STUPID! I have "tip of the tongue" syndrome, and just plain can't remember things. I recently completely forgot the password to check my voicemail...I've had the password for a very long time, and all the sudden *poof* it was gone from my memory. But if it decreases the migraines, I can deal.

And why is it that when most people are sick, they can't even think about food...but me??? NOOOOOO....I'm the opposite?! I never got a chance to make out a menu today, but I really did try to be good and not be in that "ugh, I don't feel good...I don't care what I eat" mood. Maybe it has to do some with TOM. I had my usual bowl of low fat ice cream for dessert, and I REALLLLLLY wanted more, but I thought about that beautiful bridesmaid dress hanging in my closet and decided that eating more ice cream would not make the dress fit any sooner. And then I wanted some chips, but I decided against them, too. So now...I'm going to bed.

Have a lovely night everyone!

Last edited by mpaigew; 07-26-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #12  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hi all,
How is everyone doing. I am doing well. I walked and ran today and stayed on plan. I am just taking it one day at a time. Linda, I had to put my scale in the basement storage area or I would weigh myself. I keep wanting to sneak it out but I will do this, if I take it in baby steps.
Paige 2 way to go cleaning your closet. That is what always happens to me, I start to clean one area and then it leads me to another area then another are and before I know it clean sweep has happened at my house and all the clutter is gone, then we start to purchase stuff and gain more clutter....it is a never ending circle. It is working for me though or I wouldn't do it now would I.
Hey Paige 1, I hope you are feeling much better. Did you get a nap? I can't even imagine how horrible a migrane would be.
Erica, how are you. I know you can do this, remember little steps can get you back on track. You are the one who convinced me to fake it til I make it. Maybe you have too much on your plate, right now. Do what you need to do to make Erica feel good about Erica. I know it is in you to do this. Think of how supportive you would be to one of us. Talk to you as if it was one of us that needed you. You are so worthy of taking care of you.
Erika, have a great vacation. I was thinking if I lived closer I could run with you. I am trying to talk my dh into running with me. He always has an excuse. I know I will keep at it and wear him down...
Linda, have a wonderful time. I think your picture is awesome. Thanks for sharing it. I love Greek Salad. I hope your dinner was yummy.
Laura, it is so nice to see a post from you. How are you.
Ginny, where are you.
Tech, hi, I hope your day was awesome.
Haylo, Briza and Emma, I do hope you are all doing well.
Sorry if I missed anyone, I can only see this page.
Take care all
Ann
Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #13  

Kim, don't worry, you can do this. I'm one of those volume eaters as well and have truly been out of control in the past.
May I suggest a few menus for the next few days? You certainly don't have to do this at all, and maybe shouldn't until you officialy re-join next week, but maybe it will have a calming affect? Give it a try....
Firstly, have you ever seen Hood milk products in your grocery store? I have no idea if the area you live in has the same dairies or not? If you have Hood products, look for a half gallon in a green carton (where the soy milk or Lactaid type of milk is) called Calorie Countdown. It's treated in some way that takes calories away but it tastes pretty good. It's got the same amount of calcium as regular milk but it's only one point for a cup. That is my "saviour". Regular skim milk is 2 points for a cup. I only get 20 points a day and it can be used up pretty fast if I have 2 cups of milk in a day. But, we all need our milk servings. I also find that I am more satisfied, in general, when I make sure I get my milk servings in. I guess that equates to comfort food in some small way.
In the mornings, make oatmeal with skim milk or Calorie Countdown milk. Have a piece of fruit with it. It will fill you up nicely. Oatmeal always tastes great when made with milk. I used to cut points by making it with water and it was never quite a good. I just love it. Also, I find that Splenda is now making a brown sugar substitue that I adore on my oatmeal.
Eat slowly, take time to relax and have a really big glass of water alongside your breakfast. If you make reguarl oatmeal vs. instant, take 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup of milk, microwave it for one minute, stir and then micro it for another minute. It comes out great and it's just as fast as instant.
Mid-morning, if you are hungry (and it sounds like you will be) have something to eat, perhaps a fat free yogurt, like WW brand. If you are "on the go" buy those 100 calorie packs and have something, plan it ahead.

Lunch: Have a vegetable or salad or clear liquid soup to fill you up. Add a lean protein of some kind. For now, don't freak out about serving sizes, just eat the right amount of protein to fill you up and make you satisfied. Then, alongside, have some kind of whole grain bread (but read the serving size on the package and have ONE serving, whatever that is).

Mid afternoon, have either fruit or popcorn (94% fat free) or both if you must, drink extra water and have water with lunch as well, of course.

If you are starving later, before suppertime, cut up a nice and pretty tray of fresh veggies like peppers, cucumber, tiny string beans, carrots and tomato and have a dip of fat free dressing and eat as much as you feel fills you up and maybe have a caffeine free diet soda or herbal tea. Leave zip lock bags of cut up veggies available for quick "hungry horrors" in the refrigerator.

Dinner ought to be a lean protein of some sort, maybe potato or rice and, of course, a vegetable. I use a spray margarine product vs. using my points on butter or margarine. You also need to have 2 teaspoons of healthy oils per day that can be used in cooking or over top of a salad, but don't go crazy worrying about that.
For dessert, and always allow yourself a treat each day, as you will not succeed if you don't have some kind of treat, have a Weight Watcher's dessert or ice cream treat, or those Skinny Cow things that are popular. You could also have frozen yogurt, but check the portion sizes. I just NEED a dessert every night, I plan for it in each day's points allowance. If there is no dessert, I feel cheated and then I will cheat!
At any time during the day if you feel starving and out of control, have a sugar free Jello with Lite coop whip over top and drink water, eat your cut up vegetables.
Plan for snacks mid morning and mid afternoon, plan for a dessert. The times you start to feel crazy and hungry are when you don't think you have another meal coming for a long time. Hope that makes sense. If you have carefully planned snacks, meals, etc. then there will not be a panic that you will be too hungry.
If you think you need to have something in your mouth, you can buy some very low calorie sugar free candy, have a look in the grocery stores. I found buttescotch sugar free hard candies that are 15 calories each and something needs to be 50 calories before it is a point. So, I can have two of those with a glass of water and it is a taste in my mouth.
If you also feel out of control like you need to each and are stuck wanting something in your mouth, have a very strong tasting mint of some sort or brush your teeth. You can do this! It's not "rocket science"!
Sometimes, if I eat lunch and still feel hungry, I'll end my lunch with popcorn and a diet soda and I eat popcorn until I feel full. I need to feel full at the end of a meal and never want to leave the table hungry. Hunger makes people like us go totally nuts, we lose control and give up if we are hungry all the time.
There are too many 0 or one point type of snacks out there for you to ever feel out of control. One of the keys to success if to plan the snacks at evenly spaced intervals.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #14  
newlifestyle

Hi Paige and Haylo, I was posting as your were. Paige I hope you do feel better really soon.
Haylo have so much fun on the beach and swim and walk on the beach, Enjoy.

Kim, I too was afraid I would be hungry all day long. In the beginning I replaced food with something. I would either walk, or have a bath or read. I knew if I could take it one day at a time, having three small meals and two snacks, while drinking all my water and eating 5 fruits and vegetables I would make it a habit. I found journaling helped out so much. You can do it, just take it one meal at a time. Also I found if I got really hungry I would have fresh vegetables. It was better than my snacks used to be. One thing Paige mentions is to plan your meals. I find that really important for me.
Good luck with your journey Kim.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #15  
newlifestyle

Linda,
Wow that is great what you wrote. Good planning.
Have a great night.
Ann
Closed Thread