Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #61  
Meg

Karen, I had one of those muffs! I loved it because it was sooo soft. Did you have white go-go boots too? Or am I dating myself?

Livi - you're a tiny little thing! You would definitely have trouble finding clothes that fit if you in the US with those measurements.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:50 PM   #62  
Ilene the Bean

Oh I remember the go-go boots!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:42 PM   #63  

I remember having a tiny white bunny fur band hat to wear to church. That would have been in the later 50's. I remember having very billowy skirts with so many petticoats underneath -- Just yards and yards of nylon netting. I cant imagine how we sat down in those things. And they were decorated with large ornate French poodle appliques. And plastic box purses. And saddle shoes with rolled down socks. Egads. I remember when James Dean died. It was about that same time.

Jan, who still loves watching East of Eden.
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #64  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Karen, I had one of those muffs! I loved it because it was sooo soft. Did you have white go-go boots too? Or am I dating myself?
I don't remember white go-go boots...

If you want to see how my parents dressed us, just watch any episode from the first two seasons of The Brady Bunch.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:14 PM   #65  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
... and there's no way I'm wearing baggy clothes after working so hard to lose weight...
That's what I keep telling my sister - she's always intentionally bought her tops a size larger than she needs because she feels that wearing clothes that are a bit roomy makes her look smaller... I've pretty much told her the same thing - man I've worked hard for this body and I'm gonna SHOW it! Yeeeeeehaaaawww!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #66  
Ilene the Bean

Karen said:
Quote:
- man I've worked hard for this body and I'm gonna SHOW it! Yeeeeeehaaaawww!
Amen Sistah

Gosh this thread is turning into the "Do you remember when..." thread...

I remember getting a new spring bonnet every Easter and a new outfit too to wear to church because women HAD to wear a hat to church... also new PJ's for Christmas...... I now buy my kids PJ's for Christmas Eve... My g/f get PJ"S for her kids too on Christmas Eve and says it's a gift from Rudolph, I thought that was cute...

Last edited by Ilene; 11-23-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #67  
Running Babe

Actually Baggy clothes make people look bigger in general, fitted is usually better, tight can make some people look bigger and some people look smaller.

Ilene: I feel your pain, I have broad shoulders and a big ribcage but a small waist and a relatively flat stomach (not today though thanks to TOM), so often if a top fits on my shoulders, the rest is loose and baggy... Sigh...

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #68  
Meg

Ali, I agree that baggy clothes make people look bigger. My standard uniform used to be a big baggy shirt over a long T-shirt (to camoflauge my butt; yeah, right, who was I kidding?) and baggy pants. Once I got to my goal weight and went shopping, without even thinking about it I bought the same clothes in a size 4. And they looked terrible!! (though it took me a little time to realize it ) If I wear big, baggy clothes now, I look like a little kid playing dress-up in her mother's clothes. Which is not the look that I'm after!

I LOVE being able to wear short tops that don't hide my hips and fitted pants, especially with no pockets - just a nice, slim line (pleated pants are another fashion that bit the dust after I lost weight). When I was heavy, I didn't look good in anything and it was hard to even find clothes that fit. Now -- well, you all know the problem now! -- everything fits, looks good, and we want to buy it all!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote