Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #496  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

kittykat, didn't know that about Costco, good information to have.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #497  
Workin' It

Bargoo - kitty is right about Costco, I have a coffee pot I may have to return after 15 months and they told me to just bring it on. HP makes a good printer, as does Epson. I've had trouble with Canon in the past. Also, check out New Egg for reviews, too - lots of geeks their with time on their hands as well.

Krampus - that picture is fabulous! I saw it and also thought about you being on top of the world! I find myself obsessing about diet and exercise during fun activities as well. I am hoping mine fades to a low hum eventually, but I fear that if it does I will lose focus. Though I've lost focus right now with it in the forefront, so it might not matter. It sounds like you are finding a good balance overall, so the low hum should come.

Allison - we get closure notifications like that in Atlanta all the time. Usually one lane is open, but as it changes over the course of the work it is announced as all closed. Good luck.

Dagmar - it is so easy to impulsively buy and eat junk, and make some excuse. I find often that when I'm determined to get the junk I create the situation to make it happen. If I can avoid whatever that acquisition situation is (don't go into the drugstore, for example) I can survive it. Can't always do that though.

Saef - I know that I have to make sure I take care of myself, otherwise I can't take care of anyone else around me. DH and I both getting hit pretty hard by this, and he is suffering as much as I am - or more really, as he feels physically responsible at times as well, so I try to put on a good face and not let it show to him so as not to add to the overall burden and stress. Which then ends up with me eating half a can of pringles last Saturday night at 2am while DH & DSS are sleeping. I have to learn how to change my steps in the dance, because I'm stepping on a lot of feet here. Mostly my own.

Kitty - I bet that you can relate with your boys. I'm thinking about ordering a book I saw on amazon - called "Swagger", it is supposed to be about talking to boys. I don't know that it specifically applies to this situation, but seems to be more about dealing with boys in our "shoot 'em up" society.

DSS is so smart. And the school has cut him some leeway in some things, both because they are trying to help us and him and because when he is being sweet he is very sweet and pulls them in. People like him. Unfortunately what it has taught him is that he can behave really quite badly within certain limitations and not suffer serious consequences. It becomes the new norm, so to speak. He has a therapist appt today, and we are upping his appointments to once a week starting with his next one, so he'll go all but one week in May, then every week going forward. He'll also see a psychiatrist in June as well. I'm just hoping it will help. Some counseling with the family would probably be good, but I don't think we'll ever get the entire family involved.

One foot in front of the other. I kept my food in line and had a great workout yesterday, am good on food so far today and will run either outside in the rain or on my treadmill tonight, depending on the thunder status. My garden looks fabulous and I'm feeling good about that. I'm taking all the good feeling I can get right now.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-08-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #498  
Chuggin' along...

Shannon, is family counseling for you and/or DH an option? With or without your DSS... sounds like you could both use extra support a) to deal with this extra stress and b) perhaps a professional with experience in this area could offer you additional tools and resources to help you deal with it and help DSS. I understand as you say in an ideal world XW would want to be on your and DH's "team" in this but it sounds like it's not happening...

I wish I could offer you more advice, but I don't have any first or secondhand experienced with similar situations. But I'm still here for you. I wonder if doing some yoga or meditation might give you a few minutes of peaceful thought to center yourself. I took up yoga last summer to help deal with stress and I've enjoyed it so much, I make it a point to make once a week classes a priority in my workout schedule.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #499  
Workin' It

Megan - I've gotten back into my yoga the last two weeks, and it has seemed to help. Now that you say that - I didn't do any Saturday or Sunday and my stress level went through the roof. I should really do some today... I hadn't thought about counseling on our own without DSS, that might not be a bad idea.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #500  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Megan - I've gotten back into my yoga the last two weeks, and it has seemed to help. Now that you say that - I didn't do any Saturday or Sunday and my stress level went through the roof. I should really do some today... I hadn't thought about counseling on our own without DSS, that might not be a bad idea.
The people around the family member with the problem also have to cope with stress, depression, frustration, etc. Counselling for the two of you might help you both, as well as changing the dynamic with DSS.

Dagmar
Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #501  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I also think it would be a great idea. So many families that have children with disabilities end up divorcing-- it is so stressful on the parents. While dss doesn't have a "disability", just his difficulties add up to one (it seems like). Hugs to you!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #502  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Well, this is the 501st post! Time for a new thread?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #503  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Well, this is the 501st post! Time for a new thread?
Is someone going to step up and start a new one......anyone ?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #504  
No description available.

Thanks, Megan!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/livi...r-part-ii.html
Closed Thread