Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #226  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

saef, I didn't read your Christmas remark as facetious. It would be lovely if somewhere, anywhere, had a less demanding and tricky Christmas. Re dating my friend: joke or not, it's a great idea! It's good to get out of one's rut. Shame they took Concorde off.

I'm just back from the school Sports Day. Some of those children run beautifully. The vast majority are not fat. Most had a good time. It didn't rain. What more can you ask for?

I usually undergo Active Rest over the weekend but this w/e I'll go to the gymn. This week's been a write-off re exercise and the body's complaining.

Food. I need to pull my socks up.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #227  
No description available.

Ooooh, only 6 months til Christmas! Who's excited?

Saef, I guarantee some of that weight is fluid retention and will zip right off when you get back to your regular routine.

I too admire our swimmers in our midst!

SB, I would love to go to Wales sometime. I can trace my roots to Scotland, but I think I was Welsh in a previous life.

I need to "pull up my socks" re: food too....preferably over my mouth! I win some, I lose some, I win some, I lose some, scale slllooowwwwlyy moving down.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #228  
Workin' It

Saef - the medication you are on will cause water retention, has happened to me more than once.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #229  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm laughing about the Christmas business. I like Christmas but it has become a pain with my family spread out around the country, and now with my sister getting married. I don't have a conflict with my family vs DH's family because DH's family is all Jewish and doesn't celebrate xmas (for those of you who are like, I thought you were Jewish too, my mom is Christian and my dad is Jewish, so we celebrate both at my parents' house). But my sister's fiancee's family is also Christian and they live in Nebraska. So two years ago we did Christmakah at our house in Indy, since my sis was going to Nebraska and my other relatives were going to Vegas. Last year was at my parents' house in LA. Not sure about this year yet -- I'll be in LA for my sister's wedding in August but I'm not sure if we'll go back again for xmas. My family was vaguely talking about taking a Caribbean cruise over xmas this year, which might be fun.

Anyway, enough about that. Saef, to build up swimming endurance I think you are supposed to do what you're doing, but gradually decrease the amount of time you spend gasping between laps. Also you can just swim alternating laps really slowly and breathe on every stroke.

Speaking of swimming, I was disappointed in my swim workout yesterday. It was supposed to be a test to measure my average pace for 100's. Last time I did it in the indoor pool at the gym, and 100 yards (two laps) took me 2:30 on average. This time I did it in the outdoor pool in my neighborhood and it took me 2:36 average for two laps. I'm pretty sure that our pool is also 25 yards long, but it is kind of crappy that I got slower. Could be that it is shallower and the water is churning around more. In any case I'm still on track for about 15:30 for 500 meters in my upcoming tri.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #230  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

paperclippy - a wavy pool can definitely slow you down. Open water ... that too, unless you get lucky and find a "tail current". 2:30's for 100m is nothing to sneeze at - you go!

saef - paperclippy's advice for endurance is a great start. Other things to try are keeping track of how many arm strokes you take to cross the pool, and consciously try to decrease that number by reaching further forward/pulling further back. Also, go after lung volume by swimming slower ... but work on reducing the number of breaths you take on a length. The visual that does me the most good in the pool is to imagine that every movement is a rotation around your spine - which shouldn't be moving up, down or sideways, just straight ahead. Those are just a couple of ideas that can help.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #231  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Shannon & Midwife, thanks for the reassurance about water retention. Strange as it may sound, I have never before been on a course of oral antibiotics. Nor have I ever taken Meclizine (Antivert) before. But I was starting to suspect something was up because for the last two days, I've really watched my salt intake & nevertheless, I've gone to bed with ankles & feet so swollen that the skin actually felt stretched tight as a drum across the tops of my feet. This has not happened in years -- not since I lost my first 10 pounds, way back in 2007 & made a conscientious effort to, at the very least, walk for a half-hour every day. I will now take this as a sign of being medicated, not as a sign that IT'S ALL COMING BACK & BURYING ME IN A LANDSLIDE OF REGAINED WEIGHT.

All, I feel somewhat scared still, because I remain deaf in my left ear, with a ringing going on there nearly continuously, and I still have a feeling of pressure, like I really want that ear to pop, though it won't. (I am trying to stop reading about Meniere's Disease on the Web since it just upsets me: Hearing loss, is what they keep saying. Permanent.)

But ... I am relieved to report other improvements. The vertigo has abated almost completely if I am seated. It hits me when I walk, but not as badly -- I'm not a drunk anymore, I just feel slightly off balance. It also spins me right round like record babe if I bend over or stand up or do anything that would require a sudden change in the height of my head.

Anyway, I went to the gym fully intending to get on a recumbent bike. But then thought I'd try the elliptical. You know, just in case ... I mean they were all free, just sitting there ... It was weird but I had faith I would not fall, that my perceptions were playing tricks on me. And well, I managed my usual full hour. And was peppy afterward. So I did some weights. I am fine standing with weights. Fine on the lateral pulldown. Where I had problems was sitting down on the bench & then lying back to do chest flys. I have to ease back sloooooowly & rest for a moment till my head stops spinning. So then I tried a 30-lb barbell while lying on the bench. Again I had to take it down in stages. So I'm fine with the lifting. My limitations are the change in pressure in my head when I lie & sit.

I am so relieved. I can actually do things at the gym. (I have not tried driving yet but I may attempt the four blocks to the village grocery store.)

Okay, so I am deaf in one ear. (Which is weird with the iPod earbud.) A treadmill is way beyond me. Vinyasa yoga class would make me vomit.

But I have rejoined the people of the gym. Hooray!

Last edited by saef; 06-26-2010 at 08:38 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #232  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

The last time I had a course of antibiotics (for a sinus infection) the cure was worse than the disease. The antibiotics wrecked me - terrible diarrhea and a yeast infection. Joy.

I ended up getting some probiotics in liquid form from the health food store. A 2 day regimen got everything back to normal.

Next time, I must just suffer through the sinus infection!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #233  
in development

Have done intervals on the rower and the full set of stretches.

Now off for first swim of the year IN THE SEA! The DB is togged up in neoprene wetsuit & shoes. I'll be in my cozzie.

Food - so far, so good. No icecream at the beach for me. No.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #234  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'6

saef, have you tried decongestants? Pseudoephedrine is the best but can't remember if you can still get...maybe sign for it at the pharmacy? Phenylephrine is one. They can sometimes help get the ear opened up...

terry
FukuokaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #235  
Girl Gone Strong

FukuokaFan, as a matter of fact, my doctor prescribed Fexofenadine-PSE ER (60-120), which is apparently a generic form of Allegra. I just started taking that today. It made me nearly fall asleep over my book this afternoon.

This was another day of taking my life back. If this sense of imbalance, deafness & ringing in my left ear & etc. are going to be the "new normal," so be it. I went to the gym. I did an hour on the arc trainer, without leaning on the handles, lurching about more than usual, but I did maintain my balance. Mind over matter: I'm afraid I'm falling when I'm not -- it's a problem of perception. So if I trust that I am not tipping over, I don't tip over. Then I took Pilates class, feeling ambitious & besides, I love the instructor. I did not have trouble with rollups. I had trouble when I first got down on the mat & when I got up. By that I mean I have to hold still for a moment till my vertigo settles. Oh & I left the gym with a headache, probably from focusing so hard, but that went away after I drank a lot of water.

Also, I drove to a grocery store about two miles away. I picked a time of day when traffic was light. I had no problem, except that it felt like I was driving a boat rather than a car because I have that slight undulating feeling. (I was careful. I have hated being so limited. Besides, I really needed fresh vegetables.)

And I've got swollen ankles that do the pitting thing when I press my finger in it. It's got to be the medication. I was on my feet moving around today, & I worked out for 2 hours, between cardio & Pilates, and had miniscule salt intake in my eating. In fact, half the day's intake could be classed as raw foods. So I feel hopeful ya'll are right & this will go away when the meds run out (hopefully after doing their thing).

Last edited by saef; 06-26-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #236  
in development

Default "It advertises your hips"

Quick report about swimming in the sea. I went in but it was cold! I did not swim but I was brave. The DB floated about a bit. Then we went off rock-pooling.

I wore my new swimming costume, bought about 6 weeks ago. Friends, I think I have put on about 1/2 stone. That's 7 pounds but I think, with tom and so on, it's nearer 10. The costume doesn't really fit. The DB said, "It advertises your hips." No judgment, just the truth. Friends, I'm buckling down again. I do not need to walk about advertising my hips as they are at present. to myself.

I sincerely hope things are better in your neck of the woods, wherever you are.

Saef, I'm working on maritime issues at present if you need any advice about driving that boat. Hope you can lay her up soon. I have got a blocked up ear in sympathy but it's not infected. I'm pouring olive oil into it.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #237  
slow and steady

Saef, I'm glad you're starting to feel better! I once had a really nasty cold/flu that left my ear totally plugged up for about three weeks. It did eventually unclog though, so I'm sure yours will too!

Silver, I had to laugh about advertising your hips. I hope you feel better soon too!

Weight still creeping down. Average for the month is still 138.25 but for the past week it's 137.6, same for the week before. I realized that my triathlon training plan has me working out like a maniac. I'm working out 30-90 minutes 5-6 days a week, and only one of those days is 30 minutes, most are at least 45 or 60. When I was losing I worked out 30-45 mins 3x/week. Three weeks to go until my tri.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #238  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

sliverbirch - right there with you! I started off my week on the right foot after an objective long look in the mirror over the weekend. I'm safely in the "normal" weight zone now, but not happy with my flexibility or strength. The stuff that pokes out of the lower end of my swimsuit doesn't look like something that belongs on a fit, healthy person. I too am prepared to buckle down, and get back to the things that helped me lose about 3 pounds a month last year. Go, us!

saef - glad to to hear that you are well into the process of "Adapt, Innovate, and Overcome". No illness can stand up to that kind of mindset!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #239  
Girl Gone Strong

Silver, I'm shivering in sympathy. As I recall from a visit to Provincetown, on Cape Cod, a few years back, the ocean still hadn't warmed up enough for me by July 4th. I don't think I'd want to swim in the Atlantic till August. Also, I understand about dissatisfaction with one's hips. All the Pilates in the world won't change my own pear-shaped proportions. What a relevation to find that losing weight didn't mean the end of dressing mindfully, to camouflage & to play up.

Paperclippy, how did you stand having your ear clogged that long? I keep thinking there must be a way to unclog it without meds. Yesterday, while cooking a pot of curried vegetables, I actually stood with head head over it, tilted, hoping the steam going in my ear would do it good. Also, I keep thinking if I eat something hot & spicy enough, to make my eyes & nose run, my ears would also be affected. And I've poured peroxide into it. Which does nothing, but the bubbling is oddly comforting & makes me think of Liquid Plummer & Drano ads, showing that "bubbling action" that makes things better. Did you try any of this? Again, I am blown away by your triathlon training. And you have to tell me how you manage the costume changes. I'm all about the padded bike shorts & the bike shoes, but wouldn't care to run with a butt-pad in place & such hard-soled shoes.

More gym adventures: My Sunday morning Spin class was practically a hallucinatory experience with vertigo. I forget all the changes in levels, going from seated to "hover" to standing. Also, I did more weights yesterday, but not the one-armed dumbbell swing. And a nice NSV: I was able to lift & carry a 24-pack of Poland Spring bottles (on sale) to my car, no shopping cart needed. If my gait appeared unsteady, it was not due to the weight of the bottled water.

This really is going away, slowly, slowly, except for the deafness in my left ear. I can't hear anything, even if an iPod bud is plugged right in it. I blared my TV yesterday to hear it over the sound of the fans. I have to watch when I pick up the phone; I have to cradle it to my right ear, or I don't catch what the other person is saying. (Something to keep in mind for telemarketer calls & when my mother starts one of her very long, detailed anecdotes about the neighbor's son's girlfriend's brother.)

ETA: Becky, good luck with trimming & slimming for your swimming. The swimming bodies are stunning. The male ones in particular. I discovered during the Olympics that I can't watch the men's swimming events without becoming a little unfocused with admiration & lust. I imagined surgery in which Michael Phelp's head was removed & varying other males' heads were substituted. (From the neck up, he's an unsatisfactory lust object for me, amazing as he is in other ways.)

Last edited by saef; 06-28-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #240  
slow and steady

Saef, the ear clog I had was when I was still in high school and I used to get sick all the time. It sucked but I didn't do anything and it eventually got better. As for the clothes changes for triathlon, this year I went out and bought tri shorts and a tri top so I have no clothing changes required except putting on my shoes and socks. Last year I swam wearing a swimsuit with a sports bra underneath, then put on shorts (no padding) and a top when I got out of the water and wore that for the bike & run. Tri shorts have a little bit of padding but you can't have as much as there is in bike shorts because if you swim in it it will be too wet.