Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #391  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Sigh of resignation. OK, I get it - it's about the exercise. I have good eating habits and I am maintaining a nice healthy weight. Swimming is a delight and a mind-clearer, works wonders for developing good shoulders, but unfortunately, it didn't do much for redistributing anything from the waist on down. It's time to move. Plan of action to follow, with accountability beginning on Sept 1. Why not today? I need to go get (bleagh) running shoes. It's time to focus on the inches.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #392  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I can't believe how nervous I am about being a house guest for part of this coming week.

They drink. A lot. I really don't. At all. (I'm not disapproving, but think it's a waste of calories that could be better spent on other stuff.) So my contract with myself is to drink one reasonable-sized glass of wine each day. One. To to tell them that, in a way that doesn't make them think I'm disrespecting their lifestyle. I just got three large bottles of Pellegrino at Trader Joe's. If they put that on ice for me, I'll be good.

They like to cook a lot. Rich foods. The male part of the couple was once on Atkins & lost a great deal of weight & has maintained most of it. So if I plead low carb, that may be a language they understand.

What I fear is the delicious smell of fried clams. I need to remind myself that steamers are wonderful.

I fear not controlling any of the food, not even breakfast.

Are they going to be okay if I get up in the morning & run? (Where will I run? MapMyRun has showed me a lot of potential runs. I hope they're not hard to follow.) What about if, on the forecasted rainy Friday -- tropical storm on its way up the coast -- I drive off to a gym? And if I run, will my feet hold up? I try not to run a lot, as I've historically had foot problems. Maybe sand is better than pavement.

Will we have enough to talk about & can we be in constant proximity that long? That's probably the real worry, behind all the others, and the others are a mask for this one. The little kid going away to camp feeling: Will they like me?

Will the long drive go okay? I hate the Cape Cod rotary layout.

How do I become the perfect house guest?

I need to be in the moment & not fret away the next two days, but right now, I am failing at stoic Eastern philosophy.

Not coincidentally, I want to eat & eat & eat & eat. Thank goodness I'm at the office, limited to what I brought. (Not really, but if I think that way, it really helps.) But I have gone through two peaches, an apple, two hard-boiled egg whites & a handful of almonds since 2 PM to now, which is 4:30 PM. Why was my wiring crossed so that worrying means that I want to eat? I don't know. But I need to sit through this. Get home. Get into the gym, to break the tension.

I should have brought gum to chew today.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 AM   #393  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Very glad you checked in with us, saef. It's early here so I'm not fully with it. But I wanted to empathise.

Guessing that they've had house guests before so they've probably worked out that people need time apart. Reading in the Library or walking in the Shrubbery. Exploring the Neighbourhood a little.

Your food and exercise regime, it's Medical isn't it? I know mine can be when I want it to be.

Finally, they've invited you because they like you and would like to get to know you a bit better. Your regime is part of what makes you tick nowadays.

I must look up Cape Cod. I read about it, usually at this time of year, have a vague feeling about but actually know nothing.

I'm going back home today. A whirlingly busy few days awaits followed by the same but at a lower speed. The washing machine cannot be mended. That's an example.

all round. I'm going for one hour at a time here.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #394  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

silverbirch - belated happy birthdays! Glad to "see" you again. Wishing you a speedy and reasonable resolution to the washing machine ... I went through that a few years back. Not nice.

saef - I have little to offer here, because I have many of the same stressors when I have to invade someone else's personal space (even by invitation). All I can suggest is that the odds are strongly in favor of you having a wonderful time reconnecting, and finding out that most of what you're worrying about is indeed a non-issue. Your lifestyle is in place. Even if it's disrupted for a few days, you'll find yourself back in your own routine shortly. There is NOTHING that could happen in the next few days that will heave you over a cliff and return the 100 pounds next week!

Nothing new to report here. It's the Normal Week of Scale-Will-Not-Budge.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #395  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi chicks. Taking responsibily time. Scale (which I desperately wanted to avoid but did not as per the TRT, taking resp time) says 133. Maybe 1-2 pounds is bloat d/t inhaled chips and buffalo nuggets last night. But the rest needs to be deficited off.

Tried to download daily plate to my phone with no success. Will stick w/lesser calorie counter until can get to laptop @ home (firewalled at work)

Saef, be chill my friend. Outside powerwalking on the beach is very challenging. Most people understand exercise as a need these days. And when you are outside doing your workouts, run, walk, lunge, push ups, tri dips, planks, that makes for nice alone time for both you and your hosts. Sounds to me like you have a great plan. You go girl! And have a wonderful time.

Becky, hi! Welcome back. I very much resonate with the 50lb. scale marker clunk. That sound.

Jessica, hopefully you are having a lovely event filled vacation.

Midwife, DD in college! Sounds like you made it thru the initial transition. Running laps with ds7, plenty cool. Helps.

Pat? Update? Feeling better? Hope so.

Silver, hugs and (sounds like) a new washing machine are coming your way. Glad your bday was well enjoyed.

As you might be able to tell, work is slow at the moment and I am feeling a bit more in control. All is not lost. I am still a maintainer. Back to the Basics for me. CONSISTENCY is the goal.

Last edited by kittycat40; 08-31-2010 at 10:42 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #396  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thanks, all, for your sensible words RE my worries about my being a good houseguest. On some level, I know this is going to turn out okay, and I am giving too much thought to something that's really pleasant & should not cause me so much anxiety. I really need this visit. Not just as a break from work. As an exercise in flexibility, which I lack. I get too bound up into my routines, and I become like a little train following the same set of rails in circles, day after day.

Silver, a friend of mine just got a washing machine that is fire-engine red. She could have got a cobalt blue one, but she prefers red. It's a gorgeous thing. I know the expense is a bother, but just think, since these things are always being improved, maybe you can find one with a really decadent setting on it, or maybe it will be a "smart" machine that can be started with a phone call & maybe also download music & connect with Netflix. (You must have Netflix or some equivalent over there.)

Kitty, I'm also enjoying this slow time at work, because it will change utterly after Labor Day. I think it's a fabulous time to make resolutions. There's that bracing back-to-school tingle in the air. It really straightens one's shoulders & brings one to attention after a summer of lolling around.

Becky, I need to print out these words of yours & post them over my laptop.

Quote:
Your lifestyle is in place. Even if it's disrupted for a few days, you'll find yourself back in your own routine shortly. There is NOTHING that could happen in the next few days that will heave you over a cliff and return the 100 pounds next week!
I need to taunt myself with improbable images. Like the 100 pounds coming down upon me very suddenly, like one of those California mudslides, where suddenly I'm engulfed in liquid fat that hardens over & encases my body again. And make fun of my fear that I'll wake up one morning after a day of bad choices & I'll be pinned to the bed by all the fat that has come back suddenly onto my body overnight, while I slept.

When I create those images, I realize how exaggerated my fears are. These are friends I'm visiting. Friends. Not enemy saboteurs out to cause my downfall.

Last edited by saef; 08-31-2010 at 11:23 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #397  
Working My Way Back Down

Saef - flexibility is hard! I'm sure you'll do fine and have a wonderful time. I fully understand about the Cape Cod rotary. My sister lives in Plymouth, and her daughter on the Cape. I don't know how it is now, but the end where my sister lives (the northern one) was under construction when I was there in May.

Kitty - thanks for asking. Some better, but I still haven't been able to get to the higher dose for longer than a day or two. I hate this feeling, and the lethergy that comes mainly, I think, from not being able to eat much. I also hate whinging, however, so I'll try to just suck it up for another month til I see the doc and find out if it's worth it to take this stuff. My appt is Oct 4.

I have lost at least 5 lbs - yay! - and I have been getting at least some cardio in for exercise. Need to get back to WL though. We are planning to spend a month in Hawaii after the first of the year, and I would like to be in better bathing suit shape by then!

DH has gone for the day and I'm frittering away time here, I'd better just go and get something done. THe dust bunnies are setting up whole new colonies. Time to move them on....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #398  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
These are friends I'm visiting. Friends. Not enemy saboteurs out to cause my downfall.
This is very good to hear. I hadn't wanted to entertain other scenarios but they were hanging around the edges of my mind.

Great ideas about the washing machine. The SO flirted professionally with home automation a few years ago so perhaps we could just buy a cheaper model & he could customise it. The DB can spray paint it (wider choice of colours). Thanks!

Pat - you're hanging on with those meds but they are a bit of a bore for you. Let's hope persistence and determination win through.

Back home now. One's own bed is the best. And one can follow one's own regime. But enough of the third person. I'm the one who has to buckle down.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #399  
in development

Default Time to start a new thread?

You know, so we're all svelte and gorgeous for those cultural and religious festivals in December?

I think I'm just starting to get in the groove here.

I've just realised that lots of you have a long weekend so I might go ahead and start one. I think summer is drawing to a close.