Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #1  
Meg

Talking Summer Clothes Shopping

Last edited by Meg; 12-13-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I couldn't agree with you more Meg. I also love those kind of pants. It's extremely flattering. That nice waist band and no pockets or anything. They are difficult to find though. I bought a great pair last week, size 5/6 Juniors might I add - for all of $28.00. I was shaking that's how great they were for me and how inexpensive they were. I almost bought 2 pairs of them so that I would have a back up spare pair. Then I got to thinking, hmmmm... these just might not fit me so long.

I also found a great short sleeved deep V-necked button down belted thin cardigan that can be worn like a shirt with a shell underneath at Target for all of $20.00. Very pretty. It looks way more expensive. It amazes me how now I can "get away" with shopping at fairly inexpensive stores now that I'm wearing regular sizes and really find some pretty decent stuff.

I am enjoying shopping so much now. I think I need another job just to keep up with all the clothing I'm buying.

It's VERY hard starting from scratch. I now have no winter coat, spring coat, raincoat, sweaters - nothing. Everything that I purchased for this past winter is too large. So I'll need a whole new wardrobe AGAIN come this fall and winter. Even the one spring coat that I found and loved and bought in March no longer fits me. I keep telling myself that it won't always be this way. I just have to get past the next few months - and then G-d willing I'll be done with LOSING and off to MAINTAINING - and remaining one size. Then there will really be no holding me back. Ahhh..... something to really, really look forward to.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Meg, I need some new dressy black pants. So let me know if you find some and where you get them.

The only thing new I've bought lately are a bunch of causal type t-shirts that have seams down the breast line. They tend to accentuate my breasts and make my tummy look very flat. I think they are mostly sporty workout type shirts but they work for me. After trying them on, I bought the same shirt in 4 different colors. LOL. I have such a hard time finding shirts that fit right if I find a style I like, I go overboard.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I gained back some weight and no longer fit into the fun clothes I bought for summer that JUST fit... *sigh* So, I think I at least need some shorts. Right now the ones I'm wearing from last summer are 2 or 3 sizes too big.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #5  
Mel

Meg, I'm having the same problem. Ann Taylor Loft or Ann Taylor if you want to spend more, Banana Republic, and Talbots have reliably small 2's. Tho Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic are the ones responsible for the vanity sizing in the first place, IMO, they do stock smaller sizes.

I don't like this summer's clothes. Bermuda shorts just make me look stumpy. I freeze to death at work in anything except pantsuits, and the fabric of the season seems to be Irish linen, which is a PITA!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #6  
Meg

Home from another mall run ... Lily, I got Jones New York pants -- basic black and a nice gray from Macy's. They were 50% off and then I had a 20% coupon. It's the same style we were talking about and they fit like they were made especially for me. Do you have Macy's out your way?

Robin, I completely understand about having no clothes that fit! I had to replace everything except socks. Even my shoes were too big! But how cool to get a whole new wardrobe! And I have a feeling your DH doesn't mind one little bit.

And I'm totally addicted to clothes shopping too. I guess that's where I transferred my food addiction. So many choices! And such great bargains! I remember the bad old days of having to settle for whatever fit, at whatever price.

Now clothes are such a huge incentive for me to keep my weight level. I know it sounds shallow and vain, but it works for me. Honestly, if I need motivation, I go into my closet and look at my clothes. Seriously, I know it sounds demented but I love my little clothes now.

You're right, it's so cool to stay at the same size from year to year. Now I finally feel like I can invest in some good things. Before I always resolved to lose weight and put off buying stuff or worse, bought it in too small of a size (because I was going to lose) and it never fit.

But (I'm rambling) -- the best thing of all about maintenance is waking up on January 1 of a new year and NOT having to resolve to lose weight!!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #7  
Meg

Heather, you'll get back into your cute new clothes! A couple of weeks of being on plan and you'll be right back into them.

Mel, I've taken a vow never to buy linen again. It looks so pretty -- until you actually wear it.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

I hate linen. It seems like it should be nice. But after a very short time - you end up looking like an umade bed. Linen looks best on the hanger.

I think when all's said and done I could very well be a pretty small size. For shirts very few smalls now fit me. I need extra smalls in most things and not everyone sells them. I found some extra smalls at The Limited last week.

I'm in total agreement about the clothing being a motivator and incentive. Oh yes - and an addiction. Yes, I did this first and foremost for my health -without a doubt. But I'm just not sure when the vanity/clothing thing took over, cause take over it did - big time. I love my clothing now, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting dressed in the mornings and that's even before I'm at goal and have really let loose and bought lots of good clothing. I can't wait to hit Ann Taylor and Banana Republic. For now I've been buying most of my clothing at Macy's. They have frequent sales, in fact I'm not sure if they're ever NOT on sale and those great coupons.

Heather, now that school's over you can concentrate on getting back to where you want to be. And I'm sure you'll be there in no time at all.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone. I love this thread about clothes. Clothes are a huge motivator for me to keep my weight level. Meg I can totally relate to what you said about going to look at your closet. I can't believe I'm about to say this but I love doing the laundry now because I get to get all my little clothes clean, fold them, hang them up, put them away, and have them all to pick from again when it's time to get dressed. I too love the type of pants you described. I found some great Dockers that are like that. I bought them in black and khaki and then some capris in black and white. I love the fit!
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #10  
Meg

Isn't it funny that we think we're so weird and then it turns out -- we're not? At least when it comes to clothes!!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Pam, I thought I was the only one that loved doing the laundry so I could have all my little clothes clean at the same time to choose from. LOL. I am probably the only one that lays all mine out on the king sized bed and looks at them before she hangs them up. I just like seeing them. LOL.

Meg, we don't have a Macy's nearby, but I'm sure there is one in OK City which I go to for Dr. appt.s every couple of months. So, I need to check it out next time I'm there. I don't have any of the pants you have been talking about that have no pockets and have the wide waist band so I definitely need to try on some of these.

Robin, my wt. loss started as being totally for my health too but somewhere vanity took over. Of course, I'm very happy that I'm much healthier but that new wardrobe certainly is enticing and incentive enough to try to keep the wt. off.

I'm still hoping to win the lotto someday so I can afford all the clothes , shoes, purses and accessories that I want. LOL
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

OMG!!!! I've said this so many times. I also LOVE doing my laundry now. I get such a kick out of looking at the small sizes of my clothes now. I love each item so much, that doing the laundry is like an opportunity to "visit" with them. Oh gosh, I can't believe I just wrote that. Okay, now if there were any doubts in anyones mind (probably wasn't) you all know FOR SURE that I'm insane.

I also love the fact that my clothes take up sooo much less space in my drawers now. I can fit in at least double the amount of shirts now then I used to be able to. And I actually like them.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

Hi Lily, we posted at the same time.

I see you're another laundry lover. Who knew there were so many of us lurking around?

It's funny that you mentioned accessories, because I find myself buying plenty of them now too. I just want everything to be so perfect. I'm so much more particular now.

That lotto thing sounds real good to me as well. Real, REAL good in fact.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #14  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Well I won't go as far as saying I like doing laundry now...I'm actually behind in putting away two laundry baskets because I like seeing all my new clothes in one place (except the dresses that I did manage to hang up).

I'm set for the summer now with 4 pairs of shorts, 1 skort, 7 tops, 4 sundresses, 1 capris, and a bathing suit. It feels so nice to have clothes that fit.

When people tell me not to lose any more weight (which I'm not planning on), I tell them I can't because they don't make clothes any smaller and I'm not going to start shopping in the preteens department!

This weekend, I am going to go to a special store an get fitted for a bra. I just don't know what my size is anymore and the ones I'm wearing from before I gained the weight aren't fitting well.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love clothes

One thing I'm looking forward to is going shopping with my mom next week. It'll be the first time ever that we have been able to shop in the same department. Although she is a petite top and bottom, I'm only petite bottom.

I have a really nice pair of black pants from J. Jill that are what you are describing Meg. I love them especially now that they fit. I also got a nice pair of grey dress pants from NY & CO for under $5 after coupon that have the same fit. They are still a bit snug though.

I also love love love Macys, them and Lord & Taylor. Dilliards is also good but we don't have a Dilliards around here. I miss that store terribly. I found a Nordstrom the other day as well, I like them but their sales aren't as steep as others. I think I go into convulsions if I have to spend more than $20 on a single piece of clothing. The Rack sometimes has good stuff but I have little patience with stores that aren't in order.

One thing I need to work on is how to shop sales in the misses stores. I had Lane Bryant down to a tee on how to buy clothes cheap from them. I'm doing well with New York & Co. I just bought 8 more shirts from them for $45 How do I shop sales in other stores like The Limited? or are any other stores good with sales?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote