Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #46  
Meg

I've got one for you guys, though it's more of a What Not To Wear than fun clothes shopping.

I was in the Phoenix airport yesterday and spotted a fashionably dressed, elderly woman (and I mean Grandma-elderly, like at least mid-70's). She was accessorized to the teeth and she obviously had taken a lot of time with her appearance. But she was wearing a crop top and capri jeans with turned up cuffs that were low-rise. And she had an overhang of something, whether skin or fat. She had a visible two to three inch belly gap and it wasn't pretty. It was one of those deals where you just had to look away.

I guess the lesson is that we all need to look in the mirror after we get dressed, no matter how "fashionable" our clothes may be.

We don't have a Talbots outlet nearby either but if I wait till the end of the sales, they mark all the original reductions down by 30 - 40% so it usually ends up about 80% off. Stuff is usually pretty picked over though.

Lily, just like the others, I find that sizes are all over the place too. I know my size in brands I buy, but it could be up or down 1 - 2 sizes in a different brand. Online shopping is almost impossible unless I've bought from a particular store before. Even when I go by published size charts, stuff doesn't fit, which really doesn't make sense. But once I know my size, I love online shopping! I get to sit at home in my jammies and my friendly UPS guy brings me pretty clothes in the right size -- what a deal!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #47  
Working My Way Back Down

See, that's my complaint with today's clothing styles! I'd be like that grandma! I'm old enough to be a great-grandma (some of my friends are!) and while I don't want to look matronly I don't want to look like I'm trying to look 20 (or even 35!) either. I end up shopping at more "classic" places like Talbots, Eddie Bauer, Land's End. (And I love love love online shopping - Alaska doesn't offer a lot, and what it does is in Anchorage - 50 miles away. Heck I can't buy clothes within 20 miles except hose from the grocery store)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #48  
Mel

Meg:
Talbots Outlet
3428 William Penn Hwy
PITTSBURGH PA 15235-5411
412 823-3283

There's even one in near Columbus. I can't believe there isn't one here
On my next trip out to visit dd, I can go to both!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #49  
Meg

Ah heck, that's in Monroeville (45 minute drive). People in Pittsburgh refuse to cross bridges to go anywhere. That's why any store that comes to Pittsburgh has to build one in the South Hills, North Hills and Monroeville.

But if you stop by Pittsburgh, I'll make the sacrifice. It's actually right at a Turnpike exit, though after I-70 branches off at New Stanton.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hey, if you find yourself out in the Chicagoland area, we can go to the one in Geneva. I'd sacrifice too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #51  
Working My Way Back Down

For years while I was growing up my Dad lived 5 minutes from the original Talbots! Do you think I ever shopped there? Nope. Even when I was in college - and preppy was "in" I didn't, though girls in my dorm did. (This mind you was back in the era when female college students still wore skirts to class most of the time! )
Old 07-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #52  
Meg

I earned my black belt in Professional Shopping last night.

DD and I spent the day wedding dress shopping. After a long day, we ate dinner out with DD's fiance and his son, then had 20 minutes to kill before we had to be somewhere. The fiance and son opted for Toys R Us and Julia and I spotted a Dillards across the parking lot. Ready, set, go -- 20 minutes till we all had to meet up at the car.

We were just going to cruise through Dillards dress department to see if there were any mother-of-the-bride dresses worth checking out later. So we powerwalked into the store, figured out where the right department was, and scooped up three dresses in my size. In the dressing room, I left my sneakers and pants on and just put dresses on over them because I didn't want to take the time to undress. All the time watching the clock.

And I found the perfect dress in the perfect size. It's floor length, a dark sapphire blue, with a plain skirt and multicolor bead work top with a little interesting asymetry.

We debated -- should I buy it? Should we come back? And I said I can't imagine a dress I'd like more. So we find the clerk, whip out the plastic, and we're back at the car with three minutes to spare.

I tried it on again at home without the pants and sneakers underneath and it looks even better.

Don't you think I should turn pro now?

Edited to add -- I found the same dress in a different color on the Nordstroms web site. Mine is deep blue with multicolor beading, so more interesting, IMO. The sleeves are sheer with beading. I don't think the model is wearing jeans and sneakers underneath.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #53  

Meg -- What a great story!!! Where will the wedding be? Can you just leave it in NM, or will it be travelling with you?

I hit Talbots (non-outlet) yesterday, just to see... further markdowns -- I was drawn... I bought a sleeveless t and a new purse. I'm getting enough clothing now, but there's all those accessories too!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #54  
Meg

Unfortunately, the dress will have to come home with me to be hemmed, of course. The perils of being vertically challenged.

Heather, accessories are very important!!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Beautiful dress, Meg! Very good choice.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #56  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Meg, I love it . I bought almost that exact same dress in a dark blue for my SD's wedding. I got it at Dillard's. It made the upper bodice look so nice and lean and I could not have hoped for a better fit. I'm sure you will love it and look so great in it.

You really are becoming a pro at shopping. Also when I was shopping for SD's wedding, the blue dress was the first one I tried on and I bought it. But, since they had a big sale going, I bought some others to wear for church.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #57  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

My mother was soooo disappointed when we went wedding dress shopping 16 years ago. I picked the first dress I tried on. We went to a shop that was going out of business that specialized in petites. The sample dress fit perfectly and only had to be hemmed one inch.

Mom made me try on a half dozen more just to be sure and they all were 6 sizes too big so I really couldn't tell how they'd look. I loved the dress I picked and it felt like a dream to wear. I'm half thinking about unpacking it and trying it on again now that I'm back to my normal size.

Yesterday, I wore one of my new sundresses to go swing dancing. DH noticed and said it was the perfect dress to dance. That's because the dress is cotton and 'swings' when I twirl.

Meg - you'll make a stunning MOTB.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Heather, accessories are very important!!
This is becoming an expensive hobby!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #59  
Working My Way Back Down

And here I am spending my holiday afternoon (it's pouring rain) shopping online for new bras! Totally not exciting, but alas, necessary.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #60  

wow Meg, great story & great dress!!!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote