Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #31  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Lily, I get into my music too, but I have it on headphones and I'm at a gym full of people! Last night I was mouthing the words to my music while working out when I noticed that half of a high school boy's lacross team was looking through the big window at everyone in the fitness center! Oh well, maybe they can read lips and figure out what I was listening to!

Robin, I never used to care about football or any other sports at all. Okay, I did watch figure skating but that's about it. I've only started to get into it since moving in with my fiance, who is a Colts fan. His family gets really into it too -- it's a lot more interesting if you are with people who are excited about it! Also it helps that I finally know how football is played (a couple years ago I had no idea what any of the rules were, except that a touchdown was something you wanted!).

Also not looking forward to the snow over here . . . We were planning on going to the gym tonight but we don't want to get stuck having it snow a lot while we're in there, and having to drive home on uncleared roads. I guess we'll see how much is coming down when we get off work and make a decision then.

Anne - the new food pyramid is different from the old one, and does emphasize whole grains ("make [at least] half your grains whole"). It also explains the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats. It now groups meat and beans into a category together, but it does still have a decent amount of that and of dairy. I am guessing since it is individualized it is different for other people, but for me I assume it is recommending three cups of dairy per day to get enough calcium.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #32  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

allison, thanks. WTG on staying on plan. My eating was totally on plan yesterday and so was my exercise. I'm up a lb. this morning, figure it's just water weight, because I've been being very good.

paperclippy, LOL at the image of you at the gym. My DH walks in when I'm working out sometimes. He says he could never walk that far or that fast. He looks like he is in a lot better shape than me.

As bad as I hate to, I have to get off of here and go pay my bills. I've procrastinated long enough. (the ones that were immediately due, I paid them on the phone yesterday).

I always just thought football was so we could watch men in tight little uniforms. LOL.

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-06-2007 at 10:31 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Good morning maintainers,

Sorry to hear about all the traumas.

I'm not sure if I can even call myself a maintainer these days - the scale is steadily creeping up. I have been skate skiing and roller skating quite a bit - the thighs are getting bigger which would explain some of the gain....but the tummy been growing also

Enough excuses etc. I am writing up a daily menu - on plan and sticking to it.
Have a great day.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

sznn~the daily menu thing is what is really helping me! I was on a 5 week plateau after a 4 week and 8 pound gain. I'm finally losing again due to a weekly menu that gives me 5 choices per day for breakfast, lunch and snacks and 7 dinner choices (so I can mix it up). Also, I printed out several copies of the menu plan, so all I have to do is highlight what I've eaten that day and add it up (I do have a place at the bottom for any "other" foods I've consumed that day).
Good luck!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Allison - thanks for the 'good luck'.
I need something
I am pertified of sliding back up to overweightland.
So for I've been totally on plan today...one day at a time.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #36  
lilybelle

When it rains , it pours. I had told most of you ladies back in November about my DH's little Aunt that was 82 yrs. old and she had a heart attack. She survived that and was back living at her home. She passed away last night in her sleep. Her funeral is Friday and DH will be a pallbearer. She is a little country lady and has had a great life and great outlook on life. She will be missed terribly. She's the one that insisted on going home to her ranch when she was released from the hospital. Said "she'd rather live a week in her own home than 10 yrs. in a nursing home". It's hard to lose someone that is so special, but I know this past year or so since breaking her hip and the death of her husband that she has had it rough. I'm at peace in knowing she lived a good life.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #37  

lily~so sorry to hear about DH's aunt. But as you said, she lived a good life. That is the best way to reflect on her life.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #38  
lilybelle

Allison, thanks.

I am figuring out that about 1700 calories a day works well for maintenance for me. I have been weighing almost daily this past week and weight is staying in a 1 lb. range. I'm also exercising a lot. I've actually over-done it on the exercise and my right side is hurting a lot. Took some ibuprofen and hoping it takes the pain away. I am planning to alternate my treadmill and elliptical every other night and see how that goes. I think this elliptical may be building muscles in my thighs and rear. They do seem a little firmer and bigger and my belly is getting flatter. Which is really nice, but my smaller jeans are now a little tight in the thighs. I do know that if my thighs continue to get more muscular, I'm going to need some size 6 jeans instead of the 4's that I have been wearing. But, that is OK, I'll know it's not fat. Plus, gives me reason to shop. LOL.

My DH has a Dr. appointment today at 4PM. He strained himself while lifting firewood and definitely needs to see a doctor. I sure hope all goes well with this today. He absolutely hates to go to doctor, esp. when he knows he'll have to take his clothes off. LOL, I've had so many Dr. appointments in my life that I am used to it.

BTW, my sister is home from the hospital and is doing well.

I learned one thing about eating: Rice Krispies for breakfast doesn't work. I had them yesterday morning with skim milk and 2 hrs. later I was starving. My whole wheat pancakes, Oats or Special K keeps me full a lot longer.

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-07-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Lily: So sorry to hear about your sister's hand, and now your aunt. It's nice to hear that your sister is doing well, and your aunt lived a good life. I hope someone can say the same about me when I'm old and gray. Congrats on finding your maintenance level. That must be a good feeling. I'm still fighting with the few pounds I put on this month. I'm down a couple and have a couple more to go. I definitely feel mroe in control and back and track. As for your thighs getting bigger, I'm in the same position too. My skinny jeans feel tight in the legs, and my legs actually look bigger too. It's strange. I think if I can lose another 3-4 pounds and get down to my ticker weight of 140 I will feel smaller again and my muscles will show up more. These pounds really seem to have collected right around my middle and I feel it and think it shows. I wonder how much the muscles from working out actually weigh.
Good luck to everyone this week. It's warm here in Colorado and the snow piles are actually getting smaller. Sending warm thoughts to all of you east of here who are feeling the frigid temps.
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #40  
lilybelle

Thanks Pam.

Isn't it strange how only a couple lbs. make us feel so much bigger? I am 2 lbs. above my ticker weight right now. Since I do feel like I'm building more muscle, I don't expect these 2 lbs. to leave anytime soon. I do feel like my thighs even Look bigger too. When I was only doing the treadmill it seemed my thigh muscles looked long and lean. Now, they seem a little more bulky since using the elliptical almost every day. I'm thinking of it as "muscle is a good thing" so I'm OK with the change. I'm now using my 2 lb. handweights to swing while walking on the treadmill, so hoping to see more muscle eventually in my arms.

Glad to hear that you are feeling more in control and back on track. I feel this way too since switching to calorie counting. I already feel like this is my way of life and definitely not a "diet".
Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #41  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Ok, I know I was just writing on here about letting the scale reading ride, and not freaking out about small changes, but I have slowly creeping up over the last week. It's not much...basically about 1 1/2 pounds...but I'm really not sure where it came from. I'd been holding steady eating the same thing (I eat pretty much the same things every day -- I'm weird) and exercising the same amount for a few weeks, so I'm kind of clueless.

I did increase my calories a little a few weeks ago as a protest! I refuse to believe that I need less than 1250 calories a day to maintain my weight, especially since I'm exercising. I think I'm going to try to stay sane and watch things for at least 1 or 2 more days before I even consider knocking the cals back down. Heck, I might not knock them down right away even if things don't change, but I guess I'll have to confront that issue when and if it comes up! We'll see how that goes...Freaky!!!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #42  

Hello Maintainers,

Lily, So sorry to hear about your sister.

Allison & sznn, the daily menu is a good idea. I may try it!

Tara, 1250 does seem low, I wouldn't go much lower.

I've been working on losing the last of my pregnancy weight. I lost 10.5 lbs. the first 12 weeks and now I'm on the second 12 weeks and aiming to lose another chunk of weight (hopefully around 8 pounds). However, after being on plan and doing so well all this time, during the last week I have STRUGGLED. I've decided the scale is not a good thing for me, once and for all. What happens is I weigh myself and see the number is low and think "Oh, I can cheat a little since I'm doing so well" and that always backfires because I cannot seem to have "just one" of anything I consider a cheat food. Then, if I step on the scale tomorrow I know it will be up a few pounds due to all the cr*p I've eaten and I'll be very hard on myself. I can't win!

So I asked myself, Was this little relapse worth it? No, I feel miserable and cranky! Am I happy with staying at my current weight? No, I'm still 13 pounds over what I weighed before I was pregnant! Am I ready to re-commit to my plan? Yes, I operate so much better without sugar, how many times do I have to tell myself this?! Do I sound like a cheerleader ? March 1st is 3 weeks away, so I'll weigh myself then as a checkpoint. Ugh...the weight game is such a head game.

How are the expecting moms doing?
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #43  
lilybelle

Thanks Anne.

Tomorrow will be a rough day for me both emotionally and food and exercise-wise. We will be gone all day for the funeral and with family that I know the food served won't be very "weight-friendly". I'll try to do my best to limit my amount of food and make the best choices possible.

My new way of eating has sure spurred me to exercise more. I feel like when I'm doing the best with eating that I have an increased desire to also do the best with exercise. I will exercise again tonite, but probably won't get home til late tomorrow night and it will be my off night from exercise. I have exercised every night now for 7 days straight.

My DH didn't go to the doctor yesterday (like he was supposed to) after straining himself splitting and lifting firewood. He said his swelling is down (sorry, TMI, groin) and he'll wait and see how it goes. GRRRRRRRR. I'm concerned too about this because he is a pallbearer tomorrow. That lifting isn't something he needs to be doing right now either. But, he said he'd do it , no matter what.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #44  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Lilybelle,

I'm sorry for your family's loss...it sounds like she was a wonderful lady to have around on earth. Best wishes for the challenges that will face you tomorrow.

My scale was up another 0.2 pounds today...I'm trying to stay mentally strong, and will not make any dietary changes today. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #45  

Lily~you'll do fine tomorrow. One day will not do you in. There will be the stress of the funeral, but you have a good head on your shoulders and you know where to draw the line food-wise. Don't punish yourself if you do give into some of the less than diet-worthy foods. Saturday will be a new day and you can get right back to your clean eats.

Tell DH to quit being so stubborn and go see a doctor!

Tara~.2 isn't that much, but I see where you've been concerned over a previous small gain. Do you think it has something to do with your caloric increase a few weeks ago or is it some monthly/hormonal thing? Maybe a day without peanut butter is in line for you!! LOL Anyway, I hope you figure it out before it gets out of hand.