Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #1  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Default Reassurance or Guidance please?

So, I went to the doc today, and weighed myself. 227. I've actually put on 3 pounds this month, but my measurements say I'm losing, EVERYWHERE, so I'm guessing it truly is muscle? Is that possible? Well, this month, its been about 6 weeks since a true official weigh in, but 4 weeks since measurements, so is it possible? Everything fits looser, I've lost 2" in both thighs, 3 in my hips and bust and 2.5 from my waist, so I'm happy that I'm smaller, I just wish the wooshie fairy would show up and whoosh this weight away too. Ah well, tomorrow is a new chance to be as healthy as I can be.

I eat roughly 1400-1600 calories a day, i walk 3 miles 5 times a week and work out for about 30 minutes with weights, and doing push-ups, squats etc. I'm slowly working up to doing free weights like I use to, but I'd much prefer to do it slowly and not injure my knee, shoulder or wrist again, but I also don't want to limit myself due to those same injuries. I use my own weight for squats and lunges, and 8 pound weights in arms, shoulder area. I could proabably do more in the arms but I dont have any heavier weights and have resorted to doing 3 sets of 12-15 with the 8 pound weights until I can get more. Any other ideas or suggestions?
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #2  
Meg

Here's your reality check, Angi -- you're doing great! You're losing inches, your clothes are looser, you're getting fitter and stronger ... wow, it all sounds perfect!

Screw the scales! Your weight is only a number and isn't a very good indication of progress. Remember, that number isn't tattooed on your forehead for the world to see ... what they see is YOU and it sounds like there's a lot less of you these days!

Who knows? The scale at the doctor's office may be off - is it the same one you weighed on last time? If not, then you're comparing apples and oranges, but even if it's the same scale, sometimes scales that are used a lot need to be recalibrated.

I think your calories are right in line where they should be. Are you focusing on healthy choices? As for exercise, have your increased the intensity of your walking? Do you have access to any other cardio to mix things up (gym equipment, bike, swimming)? Would you consider mixing in some easy jogging?

Good for you for starting with weights! Squats and lunges are outstanding lower body exercises! Are you working out in a gym or at home? Have you ever tried DVDs? Have you checked out any of the stickies in the Ladies Who Lift forum for some more ideas for workouts?

Boy, I hope you find that whooshie fairy too but until then, I think you're doing everything right and building habits that will get you to goal ... and keep you there.

Keep up the good work!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #3  
Mel

I just read your post in the 100 plus club forum and was going to reply there, but here's just as good. To echo everything Meg said, You are doing GREAT You've been building muscle and burning fat at the same time which is why you are noticeably smaller, but not a whole lot lighter. That's a perfect scenario! You want that muscle It will help you burn more calories, and keep you healthier and stronger, not to mention looking a lot better by the time you reach your goal weight. Don't worry about the scale stall lasting forever- you'll reach a point where you just don't build muscle so fast and that's when the "whoosh" will start.

As Meg said, your weight isn't tatooed on your forehead, but I've been known to walk around with the labels sticking out of my clothes from time to time, and I'd rather that number be smaller!

Congratulations and keep at it

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote