Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 168.8/136.4./130

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
Ommamma - I just started maintenance (first week of P2) and I have been panic ing also. Just trying to figure out P2 and anticipating P3 and P4. Thank you for resummarizing this because I also need an obvious rule of thumb to follow. On top of that I will be on vacation during P3 so I really want to be sure I know what to eat when I'm at a restaurant. Like you said above, from my P1 days I have alot of recipes and menus for lunch and dinner with the proteins and veggies. If I just need to add some fat to lunch, no problem !! (mayo, avocado would be welcome!) Ditto for dinner, but for me I will try to add a slow carb because mentally I find it hard to add back a full carb which seems so evil to me now. But, a sweet potato, or beans, seems okay in my mind right now. Less panic for me :-)
Congratulations on your entry into P2. It is funny how we make certain macros the enemy, carbs for you, fat for me. I was just saying in another thread that that is something I am going to ease into. When my bff was on WW, I use to get upset with her buying everything 0% fat, telling her she does need some good fats in her diet to lose weight and then here I am, stressing about it myself! Thank you for mentioning sweet potato and beans! I love beans and have been missing my turkey chili. Yesterday was a fun day so P1 for me today.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommamma View Post
Congratulations on your entry into P2. It is funny how we make certain macros the enemy, carbs for you, fat for me. I was just saying in another thread that that is something I am going to ease into. When my bff was on WW, I use to get upset with her buying everything 0% fat, telling her she does need some good fats in her diet to lose weight and then here I am, stressing about it myself! Thank you for mentioning sweet potato and beans! I love beans and have been missing my turkey chili. Yesterday was a fun day so P1 for me today.
Ommamma- since you're finding fats to be the difficult macro, maybe check out some atkins recipes. The only other diet that worked for me and I maintained pretty well was Atkins (then I had kids and ballooned to my pre-IP weight). That's probably why I'm okay with fat. And, when you get into Atkins maintenance they have an order that you can add back in food (I don't remember the whole order off the top of my head but it was something like higher carb veggies, beans/nuts, fruits). I know that cheese was always allowed but other dairies were restricted. And then at some point you add in the slow carbs (which is basically South Beach or WW but I never had success with those diets which is why I'm scared to open the flood gates!)
Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Welcome to all the New Maintainers!

I have had a pretty stressful week at work and am not looking forward to an 8:00 am meeting tomorrow with a displeased parent. Long story, but it has been hanging over my head all week long- over homework!

So, I have missed some of the conversation here. I agree with most of the comments about finding your own way with Phase 4. Individuals have to find what works for them. I also think that my Phase 4 is fluid. What worked in the beginning for me, has needed adjustments as time has gone on. I still keep to IP's fat-carb meal ratios/separations, drink my H20, and weigh on the scale regularly, but UP pounds seem to take longer to vanquish now.

I faced the scale this morning and was happy to see that I am back in my range. I was dreading the scale since it is TOM, but I am glad that I forced myself to face the music. I am planning on another really clean food plan during the work week. I think it was helpful to stay off the scale for the week, while dealing with my Spa UP pounds. The daily weighing when trying to get the UP pounds down can be demoralizing.

Andrea, sorry about your knee pain during hiking. I know how much you enjoy going.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #79  

darthkitten thank you for the recipe! Would love to see the PB cookie one also at some point.... I am the same, I always delete out all the artificial sugar from recipes, can't handle the taste..

I am in the last few days of P3 and it is going very well... no gain, I've been maintaining or losing/gaining a pound here and there which is quite fine with me.

I planned out 3 P3 breakfasts that worked fine, and cooked the next week of P4 meals yesterday - turns out that wasn't the "rocket science" that I expected it to be - like ommomma just mentioned, I just reduced the protein at lunch and esp. dinner, and added a healthy fat to lunch and about 1/3 cup grain to dinner, and should be good to go!

It's funny shasta10like you said, I also got attached to the P1 bars, and in P2 almost had to withdraw from them - so funny how easily habits form. After 3 days of letting them go I was fine again.

I feel a lot calmer now that I have been fine through P2 & P3, I am not so anxious.

murrcat thank you for your post a few weeks ago to shasta and kimo, I am also in a very similar situation - very low tolerance to carbs, started IP in insulin resistance, and low thyroid. I had the same experience with the Phase off - I had a really hard time the last 30 days with my concepts of trying to lose another 5 pounds, and my body also hit a really heavy depletion wall. I could only stay in P2 for a week as I was already so depleted, but within 3 days of Phase 3 I had my energy back and was able to exercise again after not even being able to go for a walk for 6 weeks due to fatigue. My doctor said I waited too long, but I needed the time mentally to assure myself I was at the right maintenance weight. I have lost a few pounds during P2 P3 and now that I am exercising again have lost more inches and am toning up, which is the main thing I want to do over the coming year - stop focusing on weight loss (finally! ) and just maintain, and put more attention on exercise and toning.

Thanks everyone, great to check in here!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #80  

Thank you for that information shasta10. I know what you mean about opening the flood gates! It is with that mind set that I am finding it a bit difficult to see that 39% of my calories came from fat. I am willing to give it a go, to try and relax into it. I too need to take a protein out with me for mid morning, but only 1 day a week. I have been taking a boiled egg as well, and sometimes half a bar or a shake. Tuna sounds good, maybe mix in some veg.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

My days have quite a range of calories from fat. I have been as high as 65% (still on maintenance plan - not Funday) and as low as 25% but it is usually more like 40-50%.

Slip.... how did the meeting go this morning? (I was thinking about you... did you feel the power vibes? )

Liana
Old 03-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Liana, it actually went well and the parent wrote another letter asking my boss to disregard the first letter. Now, I am exhausted and feel like this cold is getting the best if me. Thank you for the positive power vibes, your support really helps.

PS: positive thing about this cold- I am not the least bit hungry!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #83  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hello everyone, happy monday. Today at lunch I had a not so gentle reminder to slow down and focus.....avocado pit/ knife --- 1. ,murrcat .....3 stitches. Fortunately not worse than that.

Slip, I'm glad you had a great spa weekend and also resolved the stressful work issue.
Catlady, sorry to hear about the hiking and your knee.
Grateful, I'm glad that helped.
I agree with Liana that the fat macros may end up higher than you think. I have mine set in mfp for 55%.
Welcome to alll the new maintainers!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #84  

Default Question re: Macros

I have a question for those of you doing "Macros" on Maintenance - what percentages do you usually try to stay in for Protein/Fat/Carb - I see that what some of you are averaging for fat. This week is my first week on Maintenance and looks like I am averaging per day 43% fat/23% carb/34% protein....
Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #85  

Liana and murrcat, thanks for the affirmation about the fat grams in a day. Grateful4Health, you posed a fantastic question! I average around the same as you do and that also affirms that I am doing okay just as I am. Removing the stressful thinking around these macros and ratios keeps the cortisol at bay!! I am pleased that I track for now so I can better keep tabs on what I am doing.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
I have a question for those of you doing "Macros" on Maintenance - what percentages do you usually try to stay in for Protein/Fat/Carb - I see that what some of you are averaging for fat. This week is my first week on Maintenance and looks like I am averaging per day 43% fat/23% carb/34% protein....
As you increase your calories you will need to adjust your ratios. Also, it seems it's not a one size fits all kind of thing. Right now my goals in MFP are 35% Carb/40% Fat/25% Protein. I don't hit those numbers exactly every day, but MFP has this nifty thing where you can see your averages by the week. And I am pretty close. I think RuthAnn at last count was doing a 30/35/35 kind of thing. And evemomma was doing something different as well. As we are all seeing, Maintenance is something we all are approaching the same way but having different results. It just takes a bit of tweaking. And I only have a 2 1/2 months in it so things might change for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Slip, what a relief it must be to have the meeting over. Sounds like it went well and that the parents are trying to set the record straight. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Andrea - That is too bad your knee got sore on the hike. Have you tried the swimming?

Murrcat - ouch that sounds painful. I'm sure a more gentler reminder to slow down and focus would have been appreciated but sadly they don't usually happen that way.

I feel so rebellious, I've changed my 3pm snack from either my shake or simply bar and had a non fat geek yogurt! It feels like it's been for ever since I've done something different, during p1 it was the IP bar or shake at that time. I think i need to shake things up a bit so my body doesn't get too used to things.

The snow is almost all gone here and fingers crossed Spring is on its way
Old 03-18-2015, 01:30 AM   #88  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Jenny, your mention of rebelliousness reminded me of my conversation with my counselor today. She suggested I make friends with my "saboteur" since she is not actually going to go away. She suggested that the saboteur is not all bad..she is creative, and imaginative and likes to have fun....and letting her have a good time within the framework of maintenance would be preferable over stuffing her away or pretending she doesn't exist.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #89  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey everyone!

I just thought I would come in and properly introduce myself. I'm Kira, I started IP on November 26, 2014 and I'm so very glad I did! I didn't reach my goal yet but I have a lot of things happening with my body (and mostly my mind) right now that have caused me to decide to phase off before reaching goal. I'm excited to get back to the level of physical activity that I enjoyed prior to IP. I hope I don't annoy everyone too much with my inevitable questions while I get used to P2/P3/P4! I look forward to continuing this journey with all of you!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Thursday Maintainers!

Slip: Glad your conference turned out ok. I'm a worrier too so something like that would have bothered me as well. And yay for getting back in range. Hiking: I'm going to have make some sort of decision. I hate to give it up, but I can't keep up with this pain. Maybe I need more healing time. The PT did say it would take a while. I haven't had a pain free day since this all started. Sigh.

Jenny: I need to get myself over to the local YMCA and see what they offer. I just haven't done it yet. It has been grey and rainy here for almost 3 weeks. It's hard to get motivated.

My work is starting a Biggest Loser thing on Monday. In the past I would NEVER participate in these because I was so embarrassed about my weight. But the emphasis here is reducing body fat. Right now I don't want to loose any more. BUT...they are going to pay for a hydrostatic body fat test at the beginning and the end. I would have to pay $50 to join the contest but that is way less than these tests would cost. Since I am curious about it and this is something that I would never do on my own I think I will join in. Maybe this is the motivation I need to get the swimming/biking exercise going.
Closed Thread