Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #121  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Yummmmm new favorite snack - 1 cup diced jicama, tossed with 1/8 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp splenda - then drizzled with a Tbsp of WF caramel syrup! Almost like a caramel apple!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #122  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Yummmmm new favorite snack - 1 cup diced jicama, tossed with 1/8 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp splenda - then drizzled with a Tbsp of WF caramel syrup! Almost like a caramel apple!
You've got me intrigued with the Jicama..I've seen it at my grocery - think I'll pick one up and give it a go!

Baked Jicama Dessert:
2 cups jicama -- very thinly sliced
2 packets Sweetener
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
WF Caramel Sauce or Davinci Caramel Syrup

Preheat oven to 350.
1. Spray a small (8 or 9") pie pan liberally with cookng spray.
2. Arrange 1/2 of the jicama slices in the bottom of the pie tin.
3. Sprinkle 1 packet Sweetener and 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon and 1/4 tsp Apple Pie Spice, drizzle with Caramel Sauce/Syrup. Repeat the layering.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
6. Serve warm with IP ice cream!

Inspiration Recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...s/jicama.shtml

Baked Jicama Fries:

Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
1. Cut jicama into 1/4″ thick lengthwise slices, then cut again into 1/4″ sticks to resemble fries. Try to keep them sliced as evenly as possible for even baking.
2. Toss sticks with evoo.
3. Mix together with spices in a ziploc baggie, toss in jicama, seal bag and give it several good shakes to evenly coat the fries.
4. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spaced apart so they are not touching each other.
5. Bake for 15mins. Remove from oven, toss/flip fries, return to oven for another 10mins or until baked to a nice golden brown color.

Inspiration Recipe: http://fastpaleo.com/baked-jicama-fries/

Top 10 Ways to Enjoy Jicama!:
http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematte...o-enjoy-jicama

Ways to cook a Jicama:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...cook-a-jicama/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...like-a-potato/
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #123  

usmcvet and Shathom way to go!!

Good Luck on you WI Big Daddy

Welcome back Kaypix, you look great!!

I had my first WI today, I'm down 7 pounds.

I'm very excited, this is my last week at the bakery where I'm the pastry chef. I worked a 55 hour week last week training my replacement. So I haven't been on schedule with my eating, water, etc. the way I would like to be. Hopefully next week will be less hectic and I'll do even better!!!

Last edited by WhoDat730; 08-14-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #124  
Reboot 9/2014

I love them, they have just a little sweetness to them and texture like an apple! And MUCH easier to cut than rutabaga

The baked dessert - I was thinking of trying something like that! I'll bet it would be like an apple cobbler if you crushed up one of the cranberry IP bars on top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
You've got me intrigued with the Jicama..I've seen it at my grocery - think I'll pick one up and give it a go!

Baked Jicama Dessert:
2 packets Sweetener

Preheat oven to 350.
3. Sprinkle 1 packet Sweetener and 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon and 1/4 tsp Apple Pie Spice, drizzle with Caramel Sauce/Syrup. Repeat the layering.

Baked Jicama Fries:

Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
1. Cut jicama into 1/4″ thick lengthwise slices, then cut again into 1/4″ sticks to resemble fries. Try to keep them sliced as evenly as possible for even baking.
3. Mix together with spices in a ziploc baggie, toss in jicama, seal bag and give it several good shakes to evenly coat the fries.
4. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spaced apart so they are not touching each other.
5. Bake for 15mins. Remove from oven, toss/flip fries, return to oven for another 10mins or until baked to a nice golden brown color.

Ways to cook a Jicama:
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 218.5/208/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post

Baked Jicama Dessert:
2 packets Sweetener

Preheat oven to 350.

Baked Jicama Fries:

Pre-heat oven to 375 F.

Ways to cook a Jicama:
Can we have Jicama on phase 1? It is my favorite thing!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #126  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyT View Post
Can we have Jicama on phase 1? It is my favorite thing!
'
YES YES YES! My coach was using an older veggie list, but apparently when they revised it in May of this year they added Jicama to the Selected Veggies list! I was SO excited to find that out!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 218.5/208/150

Height: 5'5

AWESOME! Are we supposed to restrict them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
'
YES YES YES! My coach was using an older veggie list, but apparently when they revised it in May of this year they added Jicama to the Selected Veggies list! I was SO excited to find that out!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #128  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Hello to all you fellow I Peeps!

There are so many great WIs and NSVs, etc., today - I can't begin to remember them all individually, so I'll just congratulate everyone.

Business as usual here today. Although I'm concentrating on getting extra water today, and watching my sodium intake so i can hopefully get a good WI result tomorrow. I've noticed on days when I have a higher sodium intake my weight goes up the next day because I retain water, and I don't want that to happen tomorrow on WI day.

My Hamilton Beach 1/2 pint ice cream maker was just delivered, and I've already got it washed and the bowls sitting in the freezer of my fridge in preparation for icecream making. Too bad I have to wait 8 hrs for the bowls to thoroughly chill - I might be making ice cream at midnight. LOL. Any of you who have this cute little unit have any ice cream recipes you recommend? I'm really looking forward to trying it.
mine showed up today too! They're in the freezer. I'm tempted to set my alarm for 0400! But will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
It's all down hill from here, in a good way of course.

I feel your pain. Food trailers are really BIG in Austin and one looks more yummy than the last. My first free day I'm heading to one called Bananarchy, which has all of these wonderful sauces to pour over frozen bananas.

We start back to homeschooling next week, although now that my son is in high school, most of his subjects are taught outside our home or online. It's more like roam schooling for us these days than homeschooling. All of those courses start next week. I'm teaching US history and English at home so I really need to get organized this week. I wish I could say my son is begging to start this week, but then again not too many 14 year olds are begging to start early. He's trying to get every last bit of summer in before he gets loaded down with subjects, and all of his extra curricular activities.

How long have you been homeschooling? This will be our 7th year.
Thanks Dana! Good luck with school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Thanks for the link. I've heard about this and plan to take the assessment and have DH also.

Also, great on passing halfway. You are going to Disney soon.

I started to make ice cream yesterday and like you, had to wait 8 hours. Your post made me get up and make my last night's ice cream right now. First attempt doesn't seem like it may be right. The thing is very precise; has to frozen in a 0F degree freezer, don't take the bowl out more than 5 minutes before (I probably had it our a tad longer), don't add more than 12oz. I just followed the recipe below and dumped it in (have to do that fast too and get beater going immediately). I won't give up but this is only froze on the sides, the rest is still pudding.

When you try let us know.

Molly

Strawberry, rhubarb cheesecake ice cream.

2 cups of frozen rhubarb microwaved until mushy, then added a Tbls or two of WF strawberry syrup and cooled some. Put it in my magic bullet with 4 oz. Of water and a packet of Healthsmart cheesecake pudding (vanilla would work). And then put it in my new Hamilton Beach half pint ice cream maker for 10 to 15 min and yummy! Before I just put it in the freezer and stirred a few times until frosty enough.
I put mine in our stand alone freezer, I did not see a temperature setting like in our fridge/freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrochet View Post
wow, amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat730 View Post
usmcvet and Shathom way to go!!

Good Luck on you WI Big Daddy

Welcome back Kaypix, you look great!!

I had my first WI today, I'm down 7 pounds.

I'm very excited, this is my last week at the bakery where I'm the pastry chef. I worked a 55 hour week last week training my replacement. So I haven't been on schedule with my eating, water, etc. the way I would like to be. Hopefully next week will be less hectic and I'll do even better!!!
way to go seven pounds behind you!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #129  
IP attempt #2

S/C/G: 213/213/140

Height: 5'1

Hey guys! I have been gone for a bit... went on vacation, but stayed totally 100% OP!

I started this diet about a week after school ended (I am a teacher). We went back to school this week, and I went back minus 30 lbs! All of the compliments were so great! I loved hearing all of the positive feedback. It makes me that much more motivated to keep going!

Hopefully, I will be able to check in more once we get past the first few weeks of school.

Congrats for all the great weigh ins everyone!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #130  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
I put mine in our stand alone freezer, I did not see a temperature setting like in our fridge/freezer.
I have moved mine to the standalone freezer now.

Let us know how you do with yours and any tips, tricks.

I found this recipe online that is only supposed to have 4 carbs.

Coconut Milk Ice Cream
8 oz coconut milk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
Stevia too taste...I used one packet of Truvia

Directions
This serves 2.

Not much in quanity but so rich in good fat plenty satisfing.

I mixed all the "cold' ingrediants in a magic bullet and followed the Hamilton Beach Half Pint Ice Cream maker instructions from there.

If you have a fear of raw egg yolks you can buy pasterized eggs or you can add some measure of safety by giving your standard raw eggs (whole in the shell) a short 30 to 60 second dunk in boiling water this is according to Doctors Mike and Mary Eades of Protien Power fame
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #131  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, all - busy day - lots of great news here - I am so happy for all of you that are doing so well!!

I'm really loving the jicama too. Dehydrated made great chips, and tonight I just sliced it up like fries and ate it raw with my burger. Used a red pepper cut in half as the bun - yummy!! I'm gonna have to try your idea too!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #132  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyT View Post
AWESOME! Are we supposed to restrict them?
They are on the "selected veggies" list, which means you can include them in your 4 cups of veggies a day
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #133  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
I have moved mine to the standalone freezer now.

Let us know how you do with yours and any tips, tricks.

I found this recipe online that is only supposed to have 4 carbs.

Coconut Milk Ice Cream
8 oz coconut milk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
Stevia too taste...I used one packet of Truvia

Directions
This serves 2.

Not much in quanity but so rich in good fat plenty satisfing.

I mixed all the "cold' ingrediants in a magic bullet and followed the Hamilton Beach Half Pint Ice Cream maker instructions from there.

If you have a fear of raw egg yolks you can buy pasterized eggs or you can add some measure of safety by giving your standard raw eggs (whole in the shell) a short 30 to 60 second dunk in boiling water this is according to Doctors Mike and Mary Eades of Protien Power fame
Hmm. I'm gonna go shopping tomorrow. For coconut milk. I was gonna use an IP chocolate shake packet.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 155/111/115

Height: 5'5"

Wow...lots of success stories today! I love seeing the inches & pounds lost! Well Done!

Thanks for the birthday wishes & for your support today. I had a wonderful day...and stayed 100% OP again without a struggle!! :-) I went from 12:00p.m. to 7:00p.m.(due various activities) without food and did well (and I know that I shouldn't go that long without food, it just happened that way today). Picked up supper for my family, it smelled good...but I just looked forward to my Chicken salad! :-) Our girls decorated the house for me this morning...with homemade decorations - it was neat! Love my family, and you all too!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #135  
Joined IP 6-26-12

Height: 4' 10"

WI #7. -3. Not too bad.
Closed Thread