Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #496  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
I would stay away from grains and dairy if you are clearly intolerant. They probably also make you retain water.
I would consider adding in more high carb vegetables, nuts and berries. they will also cause insulin to be released.

Some grains seem to be better tolerated than wheat. Maybe quinoa, or brown rice? Wheat belly has some good commentary on grains in general.

Let us know how you do! I never really reintroduced any fruit or grains, and I feel great!
Thanks that is helpful. I knew I wouldn't be able to add wheat back but was trying to substitute some other gains. I think my mind set is that if I don't do this exactly as outlined I will regain in the blink of an eye which is exactly what happened to me with transitioning to maintenance on a number of diets I have lost count on.

I do love yogurt so will keep an eye out for sugar free goat ones but don't think I will find them around here.

I think the blood type diet makes more sense than it was given credit for. My background is pure Scottish except for a drop of aboriginal. Oats seems to be the only grain I can easily tolerate.

I do have some quinoa. I always meant to use it in a salad when my daughter visits. She is a vegetarian. But I always forget.

Why didn't you add fruit back? That is my favorite food but I sure can binge on it. When I first went to the clinic and was talking to the coach about what I normally ate, she said even in maintence I should limit fruit to two servings a day and one of those should be berries. I think that is what I can handle without going into binge mode with it.
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #497  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Hello maintainers! Okay, my question is, I see the recipe thread and the maintainer threads, but is there one place where I can find recipes for Phase 4 dinners? It is overwhelming to sift through all the posts and just find the recipes.

I started Phase 4 today, though by the time I got home from the clinic and errands I was beyond tired and just stuck with my typical Phase 1 dinner. But tomorrow I'm thinking I could make chili. The protein would be the beef, the vegees I'd use are tomatoes, onions, peppers and kidney beans. Do the beans count as the complex carbs, so I'd be sure to get 7 oz of them in (presuming the cooked volume), or would I need to add something else? I can make it with no oil and would miss the cheese on top, but I'll live with it. At least I know how to make it.
It just dawned on me that maybe I'm making this too hard? If you can't have much fat at dinner, it is basically a Phase 1 dinner, right? So just make some pasta or rice or beans or some complex carb and that's Phase 4. I can have more vegees than before and all of them, but it is simpler than I thought.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #498  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Been a while, life is getting in the way of me enjoying this site as much as I use to. Like every year the month of March is crazy busy and haven't had a real break since Feb. I have been forced to take a week off, which started with a weekend of the flu so it hasn't been as productive week as I wanted and of course all the snow yesterday. Man I am tired of shoveling. I have been maintaining quite well. I hope to get to the 150s this week (again) but am not stressing as I still fit into my size 8s though would like to be able to wear some of the 6s. I have been eating without a lot of shakes and stuff this week and am doing okay. Had a lot of gingerale so hoping that doesn't add up to much. I am going to try to get caught up with all before going back to work on Tuesday.

New Englander - I like you analogy it works for me.
Linden - get better soon.
Everyone - I really miss you, Jelly you are looking awesome. Pxlkitty you are my inspirations, while you hope for 140s I hope to see the 150s but I still want in my heart to be at 141 just to say I lost 100lbs... I know it means work and maybe that is what is my issue... I hate working...

This week has gone by so fast, my day starts at 730 I get up and walk Red dog at the off leash for 1 hour, come home feed the 2 cats and red breakfast, have a bowl of oatmeal. One unexpected trip to the vet, Red with bloody nose 2 days in a row. Then off to do things around the house then around 3:00 Red comes over to tell me it is time for another walk. So off we go to the offleash. Then feeding begins again. My nights are filled with babysitting/dog sitting, ceramics and agility. Yesterday it was quite an adventure driving to agility in all the snow... very icy and kind of scary driving but made it there and back... in time to shovel the foot off snow for the second time off my driveway as my Red dog barks at me to throw her toy. My Red dog has gotten very spoiled and she will be shocked next week when it is back to normal days... hopefully we will both adjust.

I love reading your stories on what is doing with maintenance. It helps me with my journey as well. I haven't incorporated bread or grains back in as I do feel better without eating them. Still do roasted veggies almost every day. I just eat better more fish, chicken, less pork. Looking forward to catching up. Talk later am off again, have Agility dog trial all weekend so need to go buy veggies and snacks for Red dog and me...
Hey there lady...good to see you. I am trying to reboot (been trying for weeks now) but have now made a 6 week commitment to phase 1...

Snow...yuck...we only saw a few inches all winter and it has been gone for over a month...we had 70's and 80's the last 2 weeks but returned to 40's on Sunday.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #499  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
It just dawned on me that maybe I'm making this too hard? If you can't have much fat at dinner, it is basically a Phase 1 dinner, right? So just make some pasta or rice or beans or some complex carb and that's Phase 4. I can have more vegees than before and all of them, but it is simpler than I thought.
This time around on P4, my basic lunch will be a P2/P3 lunch with a little fat (dressing, nuts, cheese) and my basic dinner will be a P1/P2/P3 dinner with a little carbs added (prohibited veggies, grains). Most days, lunch and dinner will be pretty much the same basic components as P2/P3 lunches and dinners with maybe a little something added. I don't mind routine and it's easier for me to just do a salad with veggies and protein for lunch, and a protein and veggies for dinner.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #500  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
Hey Ladies... I just wanted to check in with you all... I made the derby league... So I am trying to pray and hope that my losses will start speeding up! but I think that maybe I am gaining alot more muscle?? any Suggestions?
Awesome!! Congrats. I don't have any advice except that my coach recently suggested that I make sure I'm getting enough protein on days I'm working out.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #501  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
This time around on P4, my basic lunch will be a P2/P3 lunch with a little fat (dressing, nuts, cheese) and my basic dinner will be a P1/P2/P3 dinner with a little carbs added (prohibited veggies, grains). Most days, lunch and dinner will be pretty much the same basic components as P2/P3 lunches and dinners with maybe a little something added. I don't mind routine and it's easier for me to just do a salad with veggies and protein for lunch, and a protein and veggies for dinner.
Thanks! Routine works for me too. It got me through a whole year of this!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #502  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

Good Morning,

In maintaince only problem is that I am feeling alittle bloated with gas ( hate to mention). Is this from the fruit and grain I am having for breakfast) ? Thanks for any feedback that might be offered...
Endless Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #503  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Dieter View Post
Good Morning,

In maintaince only problem is that I am feeling alittle bloated with gas ( hate to mention). Is this from the fruit and grain I am having for breakfast) ? Thanks for any feedback that might be offered...
Me too. I just restarted taking probiotics and digestive enzymes to help. The trick is to remember to take them 10-20 minutes before I eat, which I'm not always good at, but hopefully they will help, and time for my body to readjust.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #504  

Have a snack question:

I understand we can have a dessert after dinner, and a snack in the afternoon, or whenever. I find that, especially if I had a very early breakfast, I am peckish before lunch and the same goes for late afternoon before dinner.

Should I start inventing a breakfast snack that is low-carb but a little fat for the late morning, i.e., more like lunch? Should the late afternoon snack be low-fat but a little carb, more like dinner?

If I don't plan and come up with snack alternatives, I'm gonna railroad myself because when I get pathetic, I have no control. Help!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #505  
Started IP Jan 6, 2012

S/C/G: 159/134/125

Height: 5'5''

Default weigh in

Had my weigh in today, lost 0.5 lbs. Getting there.....slowly but surely. I have been getting a lot of comments lately...
- OMG!!! You lost so much weight
- you look 10 years younger
- you look great!
- don't lose anymore.
- what's your secret etc etc

I'll take the compliments but I have to keep going and hit goal and MAINTAIN. That's a BIG TASK!!!
desperatetolosegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #506  

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatetolosegirl View Post
Had my weigh in today, lost 0.5 lbs. Getting there.....slowly but surely. I have been getting a lot of comments lately...
- OMG!!! You lost so much weight
- you look 10 years younger
- you look great!
- don't lose anymore.
- what's your secret etc etc

I'll take the compliments but I have to keep going and hit goal and MAINTAIN. That's a BIG TASK!!!
Good for you! I love the complements too, especially the younger bit...I'm 59 and I'll take all I can get. )
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #507  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

Quote:
Me too. I just restarted taking probiotics and digestive enzymes to help. The trick is to remember to take them 10-20 minutes before I eat, which I'm not always good at, but hopefully they will help, and time for my body to readjust.

Good luck!
thanks for info...
Endless Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #508  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Continuing my long post:

I started phase 3 on Saturday. I carefully measured everything out for the breakfast to match the numbers posted some where on here.

I used goat yogurt for the dairy. I had to limit it to half a cup because the only brands I could find at the health food store were all high in sugar.

Pat
Pat..I went through many of those same fears when moving to Phase 3. Here are some ideas. Is 129 what you want to stay at? They recommend a 3% range up or down for maintenance. So can you handle weighing 132 at times? If you cannot , then you could consider going down to 126 so your upper end would be 129.
If grains and dairy bother you, I would just stay away from them.

On breakfast and fruit. I was also very scared of gaining in Phase 3/4 so I added the lowest carb end of things I could. You could try having only one fruit ..berries are the lowest carb, in the morning. Then see if that works.
I would experiment with adding things one at a time and see what happens.
Right now I am only having one fruit a day.
Phase 4 uses Phase 3 breakfasts..so I am wondering how you would skip it.
I found that adding one half cup of legumes for lunch or dinner did not cause any gain.
How is it going?

Last edited by Maile; 03-29-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #509  
Maile

Quote:
Have a snack question:

I understand we can have a dessert after dinner, and a snack in the afternoon, or whenever. I find that, especially if I had a very early breakfast, I am peckish before lunch and the same goes for late afternoon before dinner.

Should I start inventing a breakfast snack that is low-carb but a little fat for the late morning, i.e., more like lunch? Should the late afternoon snack be low-fat but a little carb, more like dinner?

If I don't plan and come up with snack alternatives, I'm gonna railroad myself because when I get pathetic, I have no control. Help!
I also get hungry before dinner and have a snack of almonds. No snack after dinner. I would just choose any low carb snack that appeals to you..string cheese? I may not have done Phase 4 totally correct..but I basically did Phase 3 with the breakfast, then Phase 2 lunches and dinners..and now and then added beans or high glycemic vegetables.
I do have the fat at lunch..like an avocado. I do use olive oil for dinner and roast or stir fry vegetables. I tend to stay away from cheese except for parmesean..which I use on vegetables.
I wish I could give you more snack ideas..maybe humuus and celery? Laughing Cow? Protein bars? IP pudding? I stick to low carb low calorie foods..and don't worry about the fat as much.
Good luck on Phase 4..It seems tricky at first, but you get used to it.

Here are the Nashua Products from Pixl. You might find a snack in here.

HealthSmart Snack - Protein Puffs (1 Bag) Options: Flavor: White Cheddar - love these

Proti-Thin Fruit Drink - Orange (7/Box) - haven't tried
Proti-Thin Oatmeal - Maple & Brown Sugar (6/Box) 1 $11.95 $11.95 - great

Proti-Thin Protein Bar - Caramel Nut (7/Box) 1 $11.95 $11.95 - delicious. Like a snickers bar!

Proti-Thin Protein Pasta - Fusilli (7/Box) 1 $12.95 $12.95 - kinda strange texture. Didn't seem like it got tender like normal pasta. However, this was a nice change of pace and I enjoyed having pasta.

Proti-Thin Protein Wafer Squares - Dark Chocolate (5/Box, 2 Squares/Serving) 1 $12.95 $12.95 - yum!

Snackergy Potato Zippers - Cheesy 1 $12.95 $12.95 - ok, hubby likes these

Weight Loss Systems Snack - Cheddar Cheese Double Bites (1 Bag) - pretty good when you want something really crunchy

Last edited by Maile; 03-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #510  
Maile

Desperate to lose: That is fun to get compliments..You are getting so close to your goal. Congratulations on your weight loss this week!

Endless Dieter: I notice that using the WF products can sometimes cause gas.You might try a non wheat bread or oatmeal and see if that helps. are you eating yogurt?

Darb: Good luck on your 6 weeks of Phase 1! That is work. I am ready for the snow to completely disappear also..I want warm weather.

Jellymae: That is wonderful that you made the derby!!!!! I don't have any great advice on the muscles. However, I thought that more muscle means you speed up your metabolism and should burn fat more efficiently. What Phase are you on? You could try adding a protein snack.

Lee: I like the routine of a salad, veges, protein for lunch and dinner also..We are eating in a very similar way.

Pixl: Thanks for that info..With only 6 carbs I am going to order it!

I love Canada! Vancouver is a neat city..Of course I loved all of the wonderful ethnic restaurants, especially Indian. I also had never been a Hudson Bay Trading Company store..wow..what a selection!

So the good news is that I did not gain on my trip..now back to cooking and planning again!