Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #1  
Olivia

S/C/G: 173/173/150

Height: 5'11"

Default Vitamins/Supplements

I was wondering if, once my initial IP vitamins and supplements are done, I can just buy the same vitamins but a different brand. They are so expensive from my Wellness Centre!
Thanks everyone!
Oliviaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Heres a link to the supplement sheet, you can use it and compare.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...lements-1-.pdf
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

They are expensive. I chose to stick it out (at my DH suggestion) but now that I'm in P2 I'm NOT buying those pocket book draining vitamins! Glad you got this thread going 'cause I needed to search this topic!

MaMaZu, Thanks for posting the link!!!

Last edited by New Englander; 03-31-2012 at 07:19 AM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'4"

When I registered my coach made a big deal of telling me how important it is to use ONLY IP brand vitamins..... I was wondering if it was part of the sales pitch / attempt to maximize profits.
I'll be curious to see what some of our site guru's say...
Dakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/291(IP 1/3/12)/245/135

Height: 5'2"

I've not looked at the nutrition fact labels of the IP vitamins; however, I have learned a lot form this forum on which vitamins are recommended. I've done my own independent research as well to determine what vitamins/supplements I need to take. My main concerns are preventing hair loss (I already have very fine, thin hair), preventing constipation, and supporting energy/metabolism/immune system/heart health.

I made some false starts w/vitamins from WalMart, CVS, and the grocery store. Then my research revealed that a lot of these inexpensive brands have little of the active ingredients we need and a lot of fillers, therefore being way overpriced for the nutritional value. I've recently discovered Swanson's Vitamins (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/) and find their products to be great quality and good value for the money.

Btw, anyone looking to use fish oil - I highly recommend straight fish oil as opposed to capsules, and Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil in particular. This oil does not smell or taste like fish at all. I take a tsp. straight in the morning w/my other supplements and then put a teaspoon over my salad for lunch in lieu of salad dressing, which I despise. This stuff is amazing! It's hard to describe, but my skin all over has become so soft and plushy feeling.
BBWMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWMuse View Post
I've not looked at the nutrition fact labels of the IP vitamins; however, I have learned a lot form this forum on which vitamins are recommended. I've done my own independent research as well to determine what vitamins/supplements I need to take. My main concerns are preventing hair loss (I already have very fine, thin hair), preventing constipation, and supporting energy/metabolism/immune system/heart health.

I made some false starts w/vitamins from WalMart, CVS, and the grocery store. Then my research revealed that a lot of these inexpensive brands have little of the active ingredients we need and a lot of fillers, therefore being way overpriced for the nutritional value. I've recently discovered Swanson's Vitamins (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/) and find their products to be great quality and good value for the money.

Btw, anyone looking to use fish oil - I highly recommend straight fish oil as opposed to capsules, and Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil in particular. This oil does not smell or taste like fish at all. I take a tsp. straight in the morning w/my other supplements and then put a teaspoon over my salad for lunch in lieu of salad dressing, which I despise. This stuff is amazing! It's hard to describe, but my skin all over has become so soft and plushy feeling.
Thanks for the info! I agree that it's hard to know what brands are reliable when you read the studies that find little to no ingredients in them, or worse, toxic chemicals. I'll look into the Swanson. I'm still on IP vitamins, but don't intend to use them forever. They may well be pharma grade, but I will at least check out the alternatives. I am taking their Omega 3 capsules but finding the fishy belches make me sick, so will be getting Chia seeds for my Omega 3 hit. They have lots of Omega 3's in them.

Also, biotin is supposed to help with hair loss. There is another thread here somewhere where somebody recommended it - can't remember the dose though. I just started taking it again.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 315/291(IP 1/3/12)/245/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
I am taking their Omega 3 capsules but finding the fishy belches make me sick, so will be getting Chia seeds for my Omega 3 hit. They have lots of Omega 3's in them.

Also, biotin is supposed to help with hair loss. There is another thread here somewhere where somebody recommended it - can't remember the dose though. I just started taking it again.
Thanks for the tip on biotin! I've not had any hair loss so far, but I just finished week 12, so expect to start seeing it soon, if it's going to happen.

As for fish oil/Omega 3, Swanson's sells the Carlson's fish oil, which is how I discovered Swanson's in the first place. Someone recommended the Carlson's fish oil to me, and when I googled it, Swanson's was one of the hits. If I had to choose only 1 supplement to take from here on out, I'd keep this fish oil and ditch the rest.
BBWMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I stopped buying the IP supplements early on except for the potassium and Novilax. I've always used my own fish oil which is Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega (one of the best fish oils on the market). I now buy Nature Way for my multis and calcium/magnesium. As for the hair loss I found the fish oil I take limited the hair loss and once I started taking Great Lakes gelatin for the collagen, I found my hair loss stopped.

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 03-31-2012 at 10:19 AM.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187.4/ticker/145

Height: 5'10"

My coach told me that I could by IP or get some other brand, it was up to me. I bougt IP first but since I have changed to buying mine from Puritian's Pride. Ultra Woman Daily Multi, I compared ingredients and it has more that IP. Much cheaper. I also get the Omega-3 from them, mo fish burps, so glad I hate them. I get Resveratrol, Cal, Mg, Zinc, and Potassium. The dose isn't as high and it's a differenct kind of potassium and take more than bottle recommends, can't find a potassium as high as IP. Just started them, I might change back to the IP on them. With Puritan's Pride, if you have over, I think, $50, it's free shipping. Just thought I'd put that infor out there.
natalie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #10  
Started IP March15, 2012

S/C/G: Reboot 176/176/153

Height: 5.6

Quick fish oil tip I heard. Put them in the freezer, that way they make further down your stomach before they start to dissolve..
countryck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #11  
Kitty

S/C/G: 200/181/140

Height: 5'7"

Curious to know how much clinics generally charge for the supplements. Mine came with my starter pack and I forgot to buy more during my 4th week. Ended up having to go to the health store to try and find something comparable. I still have the potassium and from my understanding, those are the most difficult to substitute so will likely keep purchasing those from my clinic.
IttyBittyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote