Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post
I'm not sure what you mean Bev, when you say " its not part of IP's protocol" when asking if anyone counts net carbs instead of total carbs. Where did you hear that from? I always subtract fiber from my total carb count. I have never read any study or research that has ever said that fiber has any effect on your blood sugar levels. Nor have I read in the book or been told, when questioned, from my coach or doctor that fiber should be counted as carbs, so I guess I'm a little curious where you got your information from. Fiber is largely indigestible so it has no effect on your insulin, so it will not affect your blood sugar levels nor the release of your fatty acid stores being released into the blood stream and traveling to be burned in the liver where more ketones will be produced, and in turn raising your glucagon levels which increases the rate at which your fat is released into your blood stream, not inhibiting the fat burning cycle.

This is my understanding from the information from my doctor and medical websites and nutrition books. Someone else said something similiar about total carbs and I asked if they knew of any research or new studies that has come out disproving what I have said, because I don't want to be giving out wrong information, and I would be happy to learn something new if you know it or be corrected if I am wrong.

But in short, yes, as far as fiber goes, I subtract that from my total carbs and it in no way inhibits my weightloss.

I am not totally sure about the exact number of carbs to qualify as a restrictd item, i DO know that the highest amount of carbs I have ever seen in a restricted packet is 7, so i would guess that would be the ceiling, but I do not know for sure. i would think you could get a pretty educated decision going off the labels for the IP products- and you can't go wrong with just keeping the carbs very low to stay in ketosis, since that what really drives the fat burning in this diet.

but hey thats just my two cents! Hope maybe I said something that was helpful.
Hi, MTG, thanks so much for replying. I guess I am inferring it. My coach has told us (and it's in my paperwork) that all soy nuts and puffs count as restricted items. But the BBQ soy nuts and the garlic & onion soy puffs both contain 9 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber, or 5 net carb grams. Yet the crispy cereal (for example) has 7 grams of carbs and is not restricted. Also, Atkins dieters subtract both fiber and sugar alcohols from total carbs to get net carbs. However, not all sugar alcohols are equal in how they raise blood sugar; e.g., erythritol is good and maltitol is bad. So I am just a bit confused. I can't find a restricted item on the IP food chart with a carb count of 7. Which one are you talking about? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 170/143/130

Height: 5'4''

WI today--down 4.5! I am 15 pounds from my goal and 20 from stretch goal! Am very excited. Have Dress Club tonight--am taking a bottle of the SkinnyGirl Margarita. It is made with agave nectar and has low (er) cals/carbs than a traditional marg. Will probably only have a small glass, but am happy to have a smidge.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #333  

S/C/G: 202/166/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't have time to reply to everything I want to, but thought I would quickly post my 4 week numbers from Thursday.

Down 2.4 pounds (weekly average is 4.7 - thanks to my first week). Inches were a wash. I was down in most places but up .75 in lower ab and .5 in hips. I started TOM yesterday morning so I attribute my lower ab increase to that. Possibly my hips too. Explains why I had vicious cravings the night before Also, TOM was 28 days like it always is.

On a side note, I tried the WF Cole Slaw Dressing. Gross! I was so excited to try it on the bag of broccoli slaw I bought. I made a 2 cup bowl of it and ended up throwing it away.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 191/IP185/185/140

Hi all!

What amazing success stories! Welcome to all the newbies and congratulations on all the weigh ins and NSVs! I wish I had time to comment on all of them and congratulate everyone individually but there is just too much success around here!!

RedMonkey - You and I are about the same weight/height...when did you start IP? Great recipes by the way - I am looking forward to trying your stuffed cabbage recipe

Last edited by ckanable; 03-26-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #335  

S/C/G: 169/0/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post
Ha ha Jen, twin boys, wowza! If I had two of my son i would proabably wake up in the fetal position everyday... that must be insanity. Are they pretty good? Mine is ninty to nothing HE NEVER STOPS, and I think he might have a career in decorating because he is CONSTANTLY re doing the decor in my whole house... he thinks shredded toilet paper and dog food is a nice touch to the ambiance... IN EVERY ROOM. He started walking at ten monthes and now, he is turning on the dish washer and opening it, opening and closing doors, turning on the stove and oven, he turns all the electronics on... its practically like he' two already. I SURE HOPE YOUR TWINS AREN'T AS ACTIVE OR I MIGHT HAVE TO ADD YOU TO MY NIGHTLY PRAYERS! None the less, two at the exact same age is hard REGARDLESS!!
My son is ALSO a mommy feeder and constantly tries to shove pepperidge farm cookies, nutri-grain bars, and fruit in my mouth, I practically wipe my mouth off with clorox wipes to get the carbs off "GET EM OFF, GET EM OFF" It seems like I can feel them crawling into my mouth, making a bee line for my bloodstream- "CHARGE!" He also gives me this look like, "if you won't eat it, why should I?" He's the type that wants to eat and drink everything mommy is eating and drinking... which is how I got him on sippy cups. I started walking around everywhere with a sippy cup with apple or pear juice and drinking it ( a little un-orthodox) but sure enough before I knew it the little monster was stealing it and indulging in mommys new beverage! Do i know my kid or what?
What I DIDN'T look out for was when I was drinking the pre-mixed chocolate shakes, with the little straws, i set it down by my chair and a few minutes later I heard this slurping sound...??? I looked a little behind my rocking chair and there was my little monster, shake in hand green eyes wide with delight and lips in a perfect "O" around that little straw slurping out the last few drops of the shake box. He gulped down the WHOLE THING- and was slurping for the last few drops! I could NOT believe it... he was clearly very pleased with himself... and what I realized at that moment is that teeny tiny straw is the perfect size for him- NOW I HAVE TO GUARD MY SHAKES WITH MY LIFE! Everytime I get one out... I see "JAWS" COMING! dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN.... HES COMING!! haha . I usually chug it- ( I CAN'T GIVE HIM $4-5 DOLLAR DRINKS!) and put some water in it and let him suck out the rest... I'm such a push over! but what can I say... hes my love!

And yes, it is hard feeding him, especially fruit, My mouth waters and I wish I could have it more than junk food but I'm okay with it. he does alot of snacking and having a box of cheeze its or froot loops in my lap sucks sometimes but he shouldn't have to suffer- right?

Okay, sorry I went on for so long. I LOVE TALKING TO OTHER MOTHERS- LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I'M SO GLAD YOU SHARED! Feel free to share any experiences or anything you need support on as a mother, I love being in mommys world!
Oh lord I could go on forever about the twins! They are good boys I have to say, but for the sake of my home and my sanity we have our living room gated and that is essentially their domain. Mine especially like to sit on the open dishwasher door when they are in the kitchen. They started walking well at 11 and 12 months and they are unstoppable now. They fight like crazy though over everything! LOL. They already tackle and take each other out when one has something the other wants. it will be pure insanity I'm afraid when they get bigger and stronger!

I'm sure the world was laughing at me today with them though. I had to go get DH's paycheck from the office as he is on the road today. I thought that it would be way more difficult trying to get the double stroller through those doors, so I had the bright idea that I would carry Preston (the smaller one) and hold Alex's hand to walk with me (the big one) BAD IDEA!! Preston was fighting me like crazy cause he wanted to walk too, and Alex was throwing himself down cause I wouldn't let him go the direction he wanted to go in. OMG, so I said screw it and bent down to pick him up too. So then they were both fighting me and I ended up having to carrying them in the office like sacks of potatoes!! And clearly I hadn't thought this through very well, because afterwards here I am carrying one on each hip and trying to get them back in my car and car seats. I just barely managed to catch Alex before he made a nice new home in huge puddle next to my car!! And picture too, I'm not a huge person, so those 2 side by is actually bigger then my upper body. Lets just say that I am totally pooped tonight! LOL!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #336  

Just a quick response to those talking about the total carbs in some of the restricted foods. The bars I've had so far which are the Caramel Nut, the Cookies and Cream and the White Chocolate Cinnamon have all had 15-17g carbs in them, and the last one has no fiber. Not sure about the others because I've already thrown out those boxes.

Also, called IP today and they gave me the # to my area's rep. he did clear up that my coachs are directing me incorrectly. Only 3 IP's a day including the restricted item and eating the eggs or extra packets should be avoided "unless its that or a pint of ice cream" So I wonder how badly this misinformation has set me back
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #337  

S/C/G: 136/119.5/120

Smile

I want to share a neat NSV that made me smile. At work today, one of my co-workers was having an ice cream sandwich, she said that they were organizing ice cream sundays for next Friday, she then turned to me and asked, is there something on your diet you can bring in for yourself so you don't get left out and can participate. I started to say no and then remember, people on this forum have mentioned freezing the pudding, which I just ordered, so I told her, yes, I can freeze my pudding and then bring in wf syrups and sauces to put on it as i've just ordered the marshmallow and chocolate, more caramel as i like that, and i have strawberry syrup. It made me happy that my co workers were working to find a way I wouldn't be so tempted by the sundays, yay!! I'll probably mix chocolate and vanilla together to freeze and bring in for myself!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Just letting everyone know that Lindora is having a 25% off sale and free shipping over $100 through next Wednesday, March 31.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #339  

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Week 1 is over! Had my first WI, I lost 6.5 I was happy with that. My daughter lost 9 lbs. she was very happy with that. So all in all it was a good first week. We both got our TOM last Sunday (great timing, right?) So let week 2 begin. We're ready!
Those are fantastic numbers for your first week! Keep up the great work!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #340  
Started IP March 1, 2010

S/C/G: 201.6/150.6/140

Height: 5'8"

Wow, when you miss a day there is a lot of reading. Congrats to all the great WI's and NSV's.
Thanks Sam, I will check out that Nature's Bounty Cal Mag
CinnamonSparkles....thank you so much for all your information. I agree that these vitamins can't be that much different as long as you are comparing them and they are somewhat the same.
Jen...glad you cleared up about the packets....I was going to tell you that I am allowed 3 packets...one can be restricted, but only 3 packets...but if you are going to cheat, go for the extra packet.
Can't remember now who asked, but the Chocolate Drink mix is on my "white" list and it has 7 carbs.
My coach never said anything about the collagen and I haven't been having either of the packets with it in. Soooo, guess I'll be getting some of that next week. Don't want that saggy skin!!!!
Does anyone use sugar-free jello? It does have aspartame in it. I have it once in a while.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #341  
Started IP March 1, 2010

S/C/G: 201.6/150.6/140

Height: 5'8"

I know what else I wanted to say. We take the following supplements:
Morning: 1 multi-vita, 2 Cal-Mag and one Pot-Calc
Evening: 1 multi-vita, 2 Cal-Mag

We do not take the Omega III, Anti-Oxy or the enzymes.
This sounds different than what some of you are doing. This was the recommendation from our coach.
I feel great, excersize about an hour 4-5 times a week(walking or light stepping) and am not having any problems.
Guess it should be OK if I'm OK.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #342  
Senior Member 2/12/2010

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Just letting everyone know that Lindora is having a 25% off sale and free shipping over $100 through next Wednesday, March 31.
Bev - Just went to Lindora. I see the free shipping for a $100 order but no 25% off. Do I need a coupon code? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #343  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoSun View Post
I know what else I wanted to say. We take the following supplements:
Morning: 1 multi-vita, 2 Cal-Mag and one Pot-Calc
Evening: 1 multi-vita, 2 Cal-Mag

We do not take the Omega III, Anti-Oxy or the enzymes.
This sounds different than what some of you are doing. This was the recommendation from our coach.
I feel great, excersize about an hour 4-5 times a week(walking or light stepping) and am not having any problems.
Guess it should be OK if I'm OK.
This is what I take as well, per my coach. Only different times, but exact same supplements. We were told the other stuff is optional but not neccessary.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #344  

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'4

Default New to this!

Hello everyone! I found this forum while searching for information about the Ideal Protein program. I have read through several posts, and it sounds like you all help support each other quite a bit. I am going to my consultation on Wednesday. I am getting very excited about starting IP. (I guess you could say a little nervous too!) I hope to begin to see results soon after starting this diet. Thanks for allowing me to join your forum! I look forward to posting some good results soon!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #345  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22 View Post
my clinic keeps sheets with all my measurements for each weigh in - i just have a summary sheet with the main measurments on it.

Coffee - why aren't we allowed coffee? I was also curious about this one - is it the caffeine, do the IP folks just not think it's good for you or is there some scientific reason?? I asked my coach and they didn't know, i e-mailed the IP people and they gave me the "if you drink one cup of coffee you must compensate with an extra cup of water" line. when i questioned further as to why - no response. So i looked it up and did some searching - bottom line, it's the caffeine - the caffeine does something to your insulin levels - we're not allowed it for that reason and neither are diabetics.
my coach said that we are allowed coffee. I drink it everyday.
Closed Thread