General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #31  

Hi everyone!

joma, I hope you are feeling better and welcome to Volumetrics. There are lots of ways of doing Volumetrics. Weight Watchers Momentum Simply Filling Technique is based on Volumetrics, and I've heard that Jenny Craig is as well.

I read the two Volumetrics books out there, and the only thing of value I got was some pretty darn good recipes and the information on how to calculate energy density. Still, both Volumetric books pretty much focus on calories, and I'm through with making tallys all day long.

While searching on amazon I found a great book called The Diet Denominator. It is totally based on the volumetrics theory, but gives me the structure I needed without counting up numbers all day long.

One good tip is to focus on fruits and vegetables. The energy density of fruits and vegetables is less than 1, which is quite low.

I eat foods with an energy density of 3 or less, as explained in the Diet Denominator book. After my initial figuring of the energy density of the food I want, I then know the energy density for future use and don't have to do any more math.

Whatever Volumetrics plan you follow, volumetrics is the best, because it naturally reduces the calories you eat. My current plan is taking the weight off very slowly, but who cares. I can live on this plan forever, which I couldn't do with other plans.
butterflyinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
My current plan is taking the weight off very slowly, but who cares. I can live on this plan forever, which I couldn't do with other plans
Touche, Butterfly!!! That is THE reason for my continuing with my combo Volumetrics/calorie counting - 'cause I can live on this plan - for the duration!
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi everyone. I disappeared from page one (sort of like Pooh does in the Disney film from my childhood days). I lost where the thread was and got distracted. I'm back.

Today I ran in to one of the office ladies from another building for work. She hasn't seen me in months. She was shocked. We had all started off together but they wanted to make up their own diet. I kept selling volumetrics but they were not interested. I still think it's my best success strategy that will stay for life.

This weekend, I used a combination of raw spinach (as bedding on the plate), topped with a very lightly cooked beansprout in a light tomatoe curry sauce to act as a replacer to rice. My main entre was a yummy pinto bean and mushroom spicy curry. I really liked the strategy of 2 cups spinach (14 calories) topped with a healthy cup of 50 calories of "faux-rice" added with a cup of bean and mushroom (165 calories). I followed up with a dessert of 1 cup of grapes (110 cal). (Recipes posted at the vegetarian thread's food section)

This dinner showed me just how much of a corner I've turned. I made food that I would love and be really happy with. So, this volumetrics things seems to be sticking.

I realized today that my over eating issue is on the same par as my horrible memory. I've been working on eliminating bad behavior and strategizing ways to compensate, build up, prevent, etc. For example, I ALWAYS put my keys in the exact same spot NO MATTER what. It's a small successful strategy. I have been working on techniques to remember people's names while also elminating my horrible habit of not listening and focusing on the subject.

Another example closer to my current situation is lunges. I have bad knees which have caused me such massive pain that I was going to lose weight no matter what just to work on something that might help (I'm pain free now). I found that I had many things to do to work on my knees: fix my bike so it fits my body size, strengthen my hamstring muscles, lose weight, monitor the irritants properly, and do my lunges right. I had to focus so hard on my knees every single lunge so I knew I was doing it right. I really was like learning how to move from scratch. All my attention was on it. Today, I realized that I'm doing lunges without any thought. I just do them right (with less weight and massive hamstring muscles).

Anyway, I guess these comparisons help me to realize that I'll always have something to manage--an over eating problem. But with strategies, prevention, techniques, elimination, etc. I've gotten many areas under control. Thankfully, I enjoy many of these strategies, techniques, etc. I love my volumetrics the most, though.

Last edited by iaradajnos; 08-12-2009 at 08:07 PM.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #34  

Just another note as I went back and caught up a bit on everyone's conversations. Again, I do like this thread.

So, I'm excited to order the The Diet Denominator. There's been a few books mentioned in various threads that I have on my "to order" list. New books and resources are helpful because I've found that I have kept up my interest on healthy eating with reading more and more about volumetric-like info.

To answer Art Cat's question from earlier, I actually have increased exercise gently over the months. I used to be way over the top with too much. I started to experience constant knee pain that was unbearable by last Fall. I stopped almost everything except walking for a few months then in January slowly added in three days a week of Biggest Loser aerobics (dvds at home). Each month I added. I added in the FIRM: 500 calorie burn a few months and that's done awesome muscle toning.

Now, I'm listing myself on body calculators and on my new Taylor body fat measuring scale as a female athlete to calculate my lean muscle mass right.

I'm actually bowled over by really seeing what "fit" is. I think I've been delusional for many years when I thought I was fit. Looking back mentally and in photos, I was not fit. I had many people also supporting my delusion because they knew just how much I walked and worked out. They were just as ignorant as me about the basics of food and exercise.

Now I know that walking is good but must be equally paired with modest portions. An hour walk for a 5'4" 40-something female is not ever going to pay off a half a giant cheese pizza. I was never good at math but there you go. The truth is in the basics. I just never realized how little the walking compensated for different foods or the portions.

Now, I'm focusing on portions, food density, and exercise. Woo hooo!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #35  

Thank you for the wonderful advice! Yes, I am done with tallies as well. I'm not look for rapid weight loss, but rather steady, healthy weight loss that I can sustain this time. Sounds like this is the best route for me. I had already started by adding more fruits and veg (I make sure to have one or the other with every meal or snack now) and I love eating vegitarian whenever I can, so I think the transition shouldn't be too hard. I will definetely look for The Diet Denominator.

Wish me luck!
- Joanna
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #36  

Okay, I just order The Diet Denominator. Can't wait to get it!

Just a word of advice to any Canadians (like me) ordering this book. Amazon.ca says the book is not being released until November! I ended up ordering off of the US site - Amazon.com. It was slightly more expensive (19.71 USD with taxes and shipping instead of 17.61 CAD with taxes and shipping) but I will get it several months sooner. Here's hoping I don't get stuck with any customs/duty charges...
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #37  

joma, the book is good and the author also has a website, diet denominator.com or something like that.

Be forewarned - the book must be self-published, or at the very least by an unknown publisher because the editiing is just awful. But focus on the content of the book - which is great! I can easily ignore the typos, but some folks go nuts when books are not edited well. I wish one of the huge publishing houses had published his book. I am afraid it will get no press and get lost in the shuffle.

I wrote the author a thank you letter, and he answered me! I think he's on to a great idea and he also explains the whole concept of volumetrics very well.

Anyway, this is a great thread - iaradajinos, thank you for the pm; I emailed you back and hope you got it.

Starting tomorrow I've decided to go vegetarian. I can never go vegan, love my eggs and dairy too much - but I know I can be a lacto ovo vegetarian.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #38  

p.s. and I apologize for not mentioning it before, but he has a useful tool on his website, an energy density calculator which will calculate the ED of any food. Frankly, I have a little calculator I just use, but if you're sitting in front of the computer with your food label, just punch in the numbers and the on-line calculator will give you the ED.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #39  

Well, I've searched and searched, and 3 fat chicks is the only diet forum that has a Volumetrics forum.

Count me in.

The Diet Denominator is definitely for me; checked out the website. That calculator is fun!
newchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #40  

Hello friends. I am up early to get in a workout before five kids wake up to eager calls for home made pancakes. It's Saturday, school vacation, and a sleepover.

We went out as a two family group to a local children's museum lastnight (without my hubby since he had to work & the other mom joined us later). She and I have both dropped pounds but she's mostly done it on her own--quietly. Not much of a talker about what's she's doing. She's a wonderful lady and I'm so glad for her success. I'm a bit more of a "sharer" and tell everybody my business with only slight encouragement. Lately, I've gotten lots of glory because I am thinner and closer to goal but she looks so amazing. I'm hoping for my glory to lighten up a bit and for her own star to sparkle nice a bright with her success. She's always so supportive and congratulates me often.

Anyway, we were chatting and catching up. I told her I'm only a few pounds from "goal" (which I had to explain since she's not on our 3fatchicks forum) and really worried. I keep looking in the mirror expecting all the weight to be back on. So, I told her it's like my absolute fear of buying a new white outfit (which I'd NEVER do) and then walking around for the rest of my life trying to keep it clean. Since, her husband and I had earlier gone out with all the kids for dinner (before she joined us), she knew my pants had some juicy marks on the thigh.

Two other thoughts:
1) At dinner with all the kids, thier dad ordered two large cheese pizzas at the food court (my three most vulnerable situations: food court, pizza, and hungry family and friends). A new restaurant was right next to the pizza (Chici--I think). I checked out their menu which was an upper end sandwich, pannini style place. The cool thing was they had a variety of menu items up on the board with calories posted--for all to see right next to the price. Cool. They had 300, 333, 380, 430 sandwich options on in that section. I was thrilled. I ordered the very yummy roasted veges with cheese (333) including an option of either chips or carrot sticks (I got carrots).
2) yesterday I came home in the middle of the day and joined my hubby for lunch. He was cooking some ethnic yummy food from his country. I had already planned out my meal and the fixings were all ready in the frig. I had cooked up a couple days ago an apple, fennel and onion "bake" (with very light oil, light salt, light nutmeg, and fresh ground black pepper). On a bed of iceberg, I sprinkled low-fat cheddar cheese and one Tablespoon fine chopped pecans. In the microwave, I heated a cup of apple/fennel/onion and spread on top. I estimated this at about 300.

I ate this meal without adding any dressing and just loved it. My 10 yr old son loves salads--without ANY dressing! So, with him in mind, I'm trying to cut out most or all dressing. The salad bedding is my new volumetrics-inspired style. Whatever I'm eating gets put over baby spinach or chopped lettuce. Working out great.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #41  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

That's a good idea- to just put anything you're eating (pretty much) over fresh spinach or some sort of lettuce. I'll have to try that! Thanks, iaradajnos!
ArtCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #42  

Yeah, that is a good idea. I once had a coworker who told me he kept his weight down by cooking up a Lean Cuisine and just dumping it over a huge bowl of lettuce or salad and eating it. He didn't cook so this was perfect for him.

I think I am going to start trying that soon.
newchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #43  

I also tried this over lightly wilted (fried) bean sprouts (w 1/2-1 tsp oil, chopped onion, crushed garlic, about 1/4 c crushed tomatoe, and a couple spices). Just as filling (~75 calories).
Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #44  

Default Very new - started this morning!

Hi - I am ready to start -- and I think the support of a bunch of like-minded women will be incredibly motivating and helpful! I really hope this thread continues! I have 25 pounds that have crept up on me over the past 7 years, and I feel self-conscious and unhappy. I do not have a huge sweet tooth, but have a huge appetite, eat too fast, and crave savory carbs.

I think volumetrics is worth a try. I have read lots of old posts from this thread and am very encouraged by people who have stuck to this philosophy over the long haul. I would really appreciate any tips/pointers you could give me.

Height - 5'5"
Weight - 156
Goal - 130
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #45  

Welcome Zephyr. I am on vacation far from home but hopped on line today for a brief hour. Like you, I also prefer savory items and am not really in to a sweet tooth. I had horrible portion control and occassional binges. I'm basically at goal (and that's only in the past week; so I'm a newbie). My best strategies have been calorie counting, volumetrics, and exercise.

As for tips and pointers, I'm sure you're tooling around the internet and 3fatchicks to learn. There are several different conversations over the past few months on volumetics. Hope these threads are helpful.

Some of the Recommended Books:
1) There's Barbara Rolls' The Volumetrics Eating Plan".
2) In this particular thread, we've heard from a participant about the Diet Denominator by Dr. Frank Bottone.
There are more but not off the top of my head.

Some Highlights for Eating Strategies:
(Mostly from the Volumetrics Eating Plan)
1) Eat every few hours (preferably at the same time each day)
---I eat at about 6:30am, 10:30am, 2:30pm, 6:30pm
2) Eat low-energy density foods
a) check out the above books
b) review nutritiondata.com for nutrition info on each food including "filling level"
c) review other sources for long lists of low-energy foods
3) Enjoy each meal you make, to the fullest!
4) Make sure you balance each day with all the food groups; lots of color in the veggies and fruits; whole grains; etc.
5) Learn about nutrition, recipes (in the areas you like), healthy food, unhealthy food and ingredients, and low-energy density.
6) Keep a journal for each meal (and exercise) counting the calories for each item in a dish if you make it, or by prepared foods
--watch out for tricks with companies who give a limited number of food items in a bag but list calories for more servings.

Some Exercise Ideas:
1) Determine your health abilities and limits (with a doctor, if necessary)
2) Identify some personal goals including such things like strength, weight loss, and a time table.
3) Consider physical exercise, active living, and fitness as important and consistent as tooth brushing

General Thoughts:
1) Plan plan plan: every evening plan out the next day
a) where will you be going?
b) where will you be at the time you are going to eat?
c) what is your calorie and nutrition goals for the day?
d) what's in the fridge you need to move?
e) what ingredients do you need?
f) write it all down in pencil, correct and update during the next day as you eat
2) Measure Measure Measure: always portion everything out.
a) buy some favorite measuring cups, spoons, scales
b) pre-portion out snacks in baggies and plastic containers
c) eating basically the same meals helps to cut down on looking up nutrition info on new foods (I generally eat the same meals then add in a new one to mix it up. Once I know that calorie count by heart, it can become a regular meal easily)
3) Enjoy enjoy enjoy: choose foods you really like
4) Strategize: When I started, I made out a 10 month weight loss strategy that was exceptionally modest (one pound per week). It allowed for the potential injury, illness, and interferences of life. I planned to have a bottom minimum (no matter what) of 250 calories less each day of food and 250 calories more exercise each day. I sneaked in additional exercise (in the beginning it was mostly active living...walking, biking, playing with kids, etc. but then added a planned workout each week). I reduced calories, increased low-energy density foods, eliminated wasteful foods (like butter, mayo, etc.), and found enjoyable alternatives to favorite staples (egg whites, almond milk, etc.)