Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #61  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello everyone
Carolyn that post about losing more weight than originally planned is really inspiring. I hope to be in that position someday!

Susan, I hate fasting too. Good luck with it.

BluetoBlue -- my husband would like to work out but he is too busy at work and is not able to make the time. However, he has been more careful about what he eats and I am cooking more at home - he has lost 10 lbs! So dont underestimate the effect of all the nutritious food you are making for dinner.

I am envious of all you folks who run. In march I tried jogging (after a 3 year break) and my knees started hurting. I have new pairs of shoes, I tried to slowly ramp up etc. Now I am doing more leg exercises to strengthen my legs so I can start jogging again. For now I am sticking to walking but hopefully I will be able to job again.

Things did not go too well at the lunch today. We went to a chinese restaurant and the food was really really good. I ended up eating much more than I should have. But dinner was good and tomorrow will be better.

good night!
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #62  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Hi everyone! Hey there Carolyn! Nice to see your encouraging post here.

Goils ... folks ... I'm fasting for lab work in the morning. All I can think about is how unlike me it is to go even a few hours without eating. But 14 hours!!! And not even water after midnight!!!
Oh Susan, I just hate hate that fasting before blood work!! I feel so sick!

Hi Carolyn you're welcome here anytime Congrats on the size 2! Is that like children's clothing?

Early day tomorrow TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:43 AM   #63  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hello! I'm doing well - I enjoyed my run and it didn't leave me too pooped or anything. I ended up tidying the flat big time AGAIN and threw more stuff away and have put more stuff on ebay. We had 2 people to look round the place and one was a total timewaster but the other guy seemed interested.

I'm planning on gym at lunch and kickboxing tonight

Eating is surprisingly good - I haven't overeaten for at least 2 weeks and food seems to be losing the hold it once had on me. It's nothing really special any more, it's JUST FOOD!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post

Eating is surprisingly good - I haven't overeaten for at least 2 weeks and food seems to be losing the hold it once had on me. It's nothing really special any more, it's JUST FOOD!
That's GREAT! I hope I can post that here someday.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning. Ugh ... I'm so dry I could spit dust. I'm one of those people who keeps water at my bedside and makes coffee before I'm fully awake.
One more hour.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #66  

Height: 5'6

Carolyn: Congrats!

Everyone, I noticed since I walked yesterday (hills, etc. and am sore today) that I skipped a few sweets. I had only 2 small cookies and a bite of my DD strawberry cheesecake pie (which is holding back for me)
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #67  

Oh you cannot imagine how fabulous that bowl of oatmeal was!
Now I've got the fasting headache. I feel like a whining old thing
A quiet afternoon is in store for me I think.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 168.5/167.5/140

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post

That's great! I know that's something I'm working on myself. I'm a horrible emotional eater. If I'm stressed I head straight for the chocolate. It's kept many people at work from meeting an untimely death. But one day last week I was pretty stressed and something in my mind just snapped. In a good way. I realized I didn't want chocolate. I wanted to go for a walk. I didn't get it, but I was still proud of myself for wanting to go that route. That and lately I've been able to listen to my stomach more than my eyes. I see something that taste good, but I ask myself if I'm really hungry enough to eat it. Usually, the answer is no. Doesn't mean I'm eating that much healthy, but I'm working on keeping it to a bare minimum. So far its working. I've been at 164.5 for a solid three days. I know this isn't much of a loss, seeing as I started at 165, but lately I've been at 166 all the way up to 168. So this little victory is perking up my spirits.

Dawnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #69  

I had a thought connected to something I've read here a few times but I don't know where ... so I'll post it for you guys.

I think it's Meg who talks about some folks having crossed wires or something and don't really have the natural capacity to feel stomach hunger. I'm not sure if the general consensus is that we've lost it or never had it.
This morning, after having skipped probably 500 cals yesterday and not eating until about 3 hours later than I usually do ... my stomach actually growled. That funny noise I've heard other people's stomachs make.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Wow, it's noon!! And I'm just now checking in!! Guess that shows you how busy I've been. I'm learning more and more here at work where DH and I will soon take over as our partners are retiring. I have to learn everything!!! I think it's going well, but I'm also "finding" some discrepancies.....it doesn't seem fair, but we might be able to use it to our advantage. Otherwise, we might have to seek the advice of our attorney. I don't want it to get ugly.

Anyway, I need help!!! DD was away last night so that meant we could eat something that she hates--eggs!!! I decided to make an omlette, knowing full well that I've never made an omlette before. It tasted great but was a visual disaster!! How do you cook it so that the inside isn't runny and the outside isn't too dried out? In the end, I just scrambled the whole thing! LOL

I'm off work this afternoon with a meeting tonight and then tomorrow we leave for Vegas for the weekend so I won't be around too much. Take care!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Way to go feathers!

Michelin & dawnslight to you both

Allison have a great time and win lots of money!

Susan I've read about stomach hunger vs emotional/stress hunger and apparently a lot of overweight people are so afraid or anxious of being physically hungry that they overeat when they think there is even a remote possibility of this. The diet book I'm consulting makes being really physically hungry (just once) part of the program. The author says a lot of her clients had great problems going without food for 8 hours. They were terrified of actually being hungry and yet, when they actually did it, they found it to be no problem.

I just wolfed down a big chocolate bar while shopping for fruit, 1% milk, and salad. The municipal government is threatening to take away the off-leash areas where we do a lot of our dog walking. I knew one was a reaction to the other but I did it anyway. I'm not at that point yet, like so many of you seem to be, where I can say no even if I want to say no. I'm looking forward to that day as I'm sick of losing the same 3 lbs. over and over and over . . .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #72  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Babyfat--I hope my SO doesn't lose 10 lbs from my low calorie meals! He is 5' 10" and weighs only 135; he's all skin and bones as it is! It is like his body is incapable of storing fat. I'd like him to workout so that we could be more active as a couple (hiking, biking, etc.) and because I think it would help with all his various aches and pains (and I wouldn't complain if he could put some muscle on those skin and bones ).

alinnell--I wasn't very helpful with the avocado, but I can try again with the omelet. The technique that I learned (way back in Home Economics in junior high) is to scape the egg into the center of pan as it cooks. As more of the egg cooks, scrape it to the center, then pick up the pan and tilt it so that the uncooked parts flow to the bottom of the pan. Keep doing that until the egg is mostly cooked. Sometimes towards the end I end up scraping the uncooked parts off the top and onto the pan. When the egg is almost cooked (just a little runny on top), flatten it out to an even thickness if you still have a mound of egg in the center of the pan, add the filling to half, and cook with the cover on for the last minute or so, until the egg is completely cooked. Then tap the pan (this works much better with a non-stick pan) once or twice to loosen the omelet and slide it out onto the plate, folding the unfilled half over the filled half as you do it.

Also, using water, instead of milk, in the eggs is supposed to make the fluffier. I learned this from my Aunt. I can't say for sure that it is true, but I don't notice any difference in the taste and it does cut the calories a little.

I have to admit that I usually just do scrambles these days and don't bother with omelets. Too much work and I think I like the scrambles better anyway.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #73  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Allison have a great time and win lots of money!

Susan I've read about stomach hunger vs emotional/stress hunger and apparently a lot of overweight people are so afraid or anxious of being physically hungry that they overeat when they think there is even a remote possibility of this. The diet book I'm consulting makes being really physically hungry (just once) part of the program. The author says a lot of her clients had great problems going without food for 8 hours. They were terrified of actually being hungry and yet, when they actually did it, they found it to be no problem.
Thanks--I intend to have a great time, but I don't usually win much (but I'll sure as heck try!!).

That stuff about eating to avoid potential hunger sure sounds like me at times. Once or twice a month I have a meeting that occurs during my regular dinner time. Because I lead the meeting, I can't be eating during it--even though snacks are often brought. Due to the fact that I lead it, it also makes me stressed. Because I don't want to be hungry at the meeting (I say it is because I don't want to be tempted by the snacks) I tend to eat before I leave.....but I'm never hungry and I tend to just shovel whatever is fast and convenient into my mouth. I have one such meeting tonight. I got off work early due to several appointments, and now I have an hour to kill before I have to leave for the meeting......I am trying to stay out of the kitchen because I've already consumed 2 slices of leftover pizza, 2 squares of dark chocolate and 4 cashews. Yes, some of that was my lunch (not too healthy, huh?) but I WASN'T hungry--yet I ate it anyway.

Anyway, I look forward to the END of the meeting because this is the last one that I will ever have to lead!!!!!! And it is the last one of the year....so I'm going to come home and celebrate with a martini!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #74  

Thanks, Barbara--I did do the scraping thing, but it didn't look right. Maybe I was trying to cook it too fast. DH suggested I try doing individual omelettes. And the lid would probably help a lot. I usually don't add water or milk to the eggs as both can make the omelet (or scrambled egg) runny. Last summer, we had to make scrambled eggs for 60 or so people and everyone said mine were the best. When they asked my secret, I said it was because there was nothing in it but egg (plus a little salt and pepper).
Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #75  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

BlueToBlue -- I hope your SO does not lose weight too if he is only 135! My husband needs to lose 10 lbs more to reach a healthy BMI.

I got a wonderful surprise this morning - the scale dipped to 147 . Since I could not work out this week, I did not except any loss this week.
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote