Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #46  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Happy New Year to everyone who is lucky enough to have a human life today.

The thoughts of the suffering following the tsunami are overwhelming. May all sentient beings be free of suffering and the cause of suffering. May all know joy and the cause of joy.

To respond to raindancer1's question--my understanding of meditation is that it's a practice used to quiet the mind. The more one meditates, the more that quiet, clear mind carries into daily life. The quiet mind is more able to see things as they are, with less of the distractions of "monkey mind," that is, a mind with thoughts and desires running wild and interfering with awareness.

Thinking of meditation that way, I haven't used it to "visualize" better health and weight loss. That seems like a different practice to me. So, I don't expect that meditating will directly affect my progress--I think it's a more subtle effect. It's harder to eat "unconsciously" if one is aware.

A person can always make a conscious choice, of course, to eat more than is necessary or foods that are not healthy and/or are fattening, but if one does it with full awareness, the "mystery" of how the food got in my mouth is gone--can't play that game any more. And lots of other games go by the wayside, too, like "Everyone else gets to eat X and I don't--poor me!"

It also helps me to consider what my "goal" is in weight loss. If it is truly to be healthy, that's good! If it's to look like the people in the movies or on TV or in advertising, then it's just another form of desire.

I am so fortunate to be born as a human being, how can I not take joy in my body, whatever its size and shape? But of course, that does not justify indulgence and mindlessness about food.

Love to all,
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #47  
Raindancer1

Hello to All...my thoughts on the tsunami disaster are sad indeed. It is difficult to see it in any positive light at the moment, even though as Buddhists we are asked to do so. I read an article today by Robert Thurman on this, and my mind understands his words, but my heart is lagging behind.

Thanks JayEll for your response. Meditating does indeed make one more aware of many things, including what one puts in one's mouth, what choices one has (not to follow the crowd) and what temptations in the form of "conformity to body image standards" can do to make one crave results.

Certainly, as I become more aware of health (a positive thing) I am able to apply healthier principles. For example, I have totally given up refined foods (uh, what is white sugar?). I suppose I was looking for a "quick fix" to this interminably slow weight loss of mine. Actually, after seeing the doctor today, I have an entirely new perspective on it, and am looking forward to dealing with this from a different angle.

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts...wishing you peace...balance...health! Cathy
raindancer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #48  
Raindancer1

Hello Ladies,

Has anyone read the Lotus Sutra? I have read commentaries and interpretations on it. However, I am now reading the text itself (translation by Burton Watson), but would like someone to discuss it with. I know it is hard reading simply because of format/style. If anyone is interested, please let me know. Thanks.

Cathy

ps...how is the weight loss coming? any successes lately?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #49  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hello, Cathy,--and all others!

I haven't read the Lotus Sutra but I would like to.

How weight loss is going: Since Xmas I have been going to a low-impact aerobics class three times a week and walking a mile on the other days. Many days I don't want to do it. But I do it anyway, and soon it's done. I am down maybe two pounds now--not sure. I'll check it today.

My attitude toward food has been different lately--I still find I want to snack in the evenings, but nothing sounds right. So I just skip it. The urge to snack seem to be looking for that "something else" to make me feel better.

My daily schedule has been a mess lately, so planned eating has suffered. Too much finding myself hungry and being too tired to fix anything, so going out instead. But I try to make good choices.

Jay
Old 01-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #50  
Raindancer1

Hi All, Hi Jay,

Jay, thanks for responding. I find that our little Sangha for Loss is dwindling to just a few, but I hope people will become interested again eventually. Regarding the Lotus Sutra, I have finished the first 4 chapters, and must tell you it is an esoteric pursuit so far. The remaining chapters may be more practical, so I will persevere. Let me know if you start. Maybe we can discuss it here or PM. Artemis02 had the idea of writing out some of the principles and tenets of the faith and applying them to our situations (because of the dry spell that this forum is going through.) I think it is a great idea; maybe we can attract more contributors.

Keep at the weight loss, Jay. Yours seems as slow as mine, but I am still motivated. It has been next to impossible to stay on a diet per se over the past 2-week holiday, but at least there was no real weight gain. Now that Christmas eating is over, I can return to a specified shopping list, stocking the fridge properly, and no surprises. I am actually doing the modified Scarsdale Diet, which worked for me in the past. Now that I am older and taking some medications that add weight, things are slow slow slow. But, my body feels lighter. I encourage all to stick to it, and keep supporting each other on this forum.

Good health to all....may we all see our dreams realized! Cathy
Old 01-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #51  

Good Morning everyone!

So now that we are firmly into the New Year, how is everyone going with their weight? Has the New Year given everyone some renewed inspiration to deal with their weight problems?

As for myself my weightloss is going just fine. I seem to have had some changes in my thinking lately, which have been slow in coming but seem to be sticking solid. I am more concerned these days with how my body works and performs rather than the way it looks. I know that realistically even after losing all of the weight I need to, I will never fit the *perfect* model of what a women should be. Rather than letting that distress me I need to focus on the positive aspects of my body.

My body does a splendid job in birthing a new human life and also in nourishing that child. I need to fuel and maintain my body so that it works well. Taking the time to slow down and listen has meant that I am more able to understand those needs. Certain foods make me unwell, while others sustain me.

As for the thread, I thought perhaps we could create a more even dialogue by starting a new thread everyweek or fortnight that discusses some of the founding priciples of buddhism. We could discuss how those principles assist our lives and also our weightloss. Perhaps that would allow contributors from different schools of thought and experience levels to be able to participate. It may also encourage those that think they may be interested in inviting buddhism into their lives but who don't know where to start.

How do we all feel about that?

I hope you are all doing well.
Marianna
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #52  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey, Marianna! Good to "see" you!

I like the idea of Buddhist topics for discussion. Perhaps we could begin with some versions of the Ten Precepts. It should probably be stated that the Ten Precepts are NOT the same as the Judeo-Christian Ten Commandments except in number. The first five are common to many sects, but the last five seem to vary depending on type of Buddhism. Here are the first five:

1. I undertake to abstain from harming living beings.
2. I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given.
3. I undertake to abstain from sexual misconduct.
4. I undertake to abstain from false speech.
5. I undertake to abstain from intoxicating drugs or drink.

Comments?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #53  

I think the discussion topic per week is a great idea. I read this thread avidly but as a beginner don't always feel like I have anything profound to add.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #54  

Hi Laura great to see you!

I can't claim to be a buddhist, but the more I investigate buddhism the more I try to incorporate some teachings into my everyday life.

1. I undertake to abstain from harming living beings.
~ I think most people assume this to be vegetarianism, but for me it is more concerned with the general approach I take to life. Life is sacred and as such I place a emphasis on people and animals being treated in a humane and respectful fashion. We still eat meat in out home, but purchase only free range meat that has been killed ethically. We have strong pacifist beliefs at home and participate in activism to have others treated humanely.

2. I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given.
~ Does this mean stealing? Hmmm.. it is just something that I wouldn't do.

3. I undertake to abstain from sexual misconduct.
~ Sexual misconduct is a difficult one, what one person claims is misconduct is another's ordinary conduct. It is heavily based upon cultural perceptions of sex. But I do believe it necessary for your individual wellbeing to have relationships based upon respect.

4. I undertake to abstain from false speech.
~ I think that this one is harder... I don't lie, but it is tough not to exagerate sometimes. I think it is easy to focus on the negative and blow events or occurances out of proportion. I know that when I have had a tough day and I might be retelling my day to my husband at times I have to catch myself from creating a different reality than the one that actually took place - making things seem worse than they really are. I think that I have become far more aware of not judging situations since learning about Buddhism.

5. I undertake to abstain from intoxicating drugs or drink.
~ We do drink alcohol at home. Mostly a glass of wine with dinner. With a toddler both my husband and I feel like it is inappropriate for her to see us drunk and we simply don't like it either. I breastfeed so drugs aren't an issue either.

Well thats me..

Can't wait to read other people's responses!
Marianna
Old 01-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #55  
Raindancer1

Hello to All,

What a great idea to encourage people to contribute that Mariana had! And the responses certainly indicate that we are motivated. I do hope that new people will join and the beginners will stick with it. I want to stress to LKTS that no one is looking for any deep perceptions or erudite comments! We welcome all your comments and appreciate the contribution of people regardless of level of faith, understanding of the principles. We are here primarily to encourage each other to lose weight; this forum just uses the vehicle of Buddhist principles as a common ground. Things are relaxed here, and no one judges. So please, LKTS, do join us!

Jay, thanks for posting the first 5 of the Ten Precepts and for making the distinction from Judeo-Christian commandments. Here is my take on it, similar to my good friend, Mariana's:

Harm others: never! We are not vegetarian, we eat meat almost everyday, and I find it necessary given the culture I come from. I presume that what we eat has been slaughtered in a humane way.

Taking what is not given: Overall, we can easily admit that we do not steal. However, there are small temptations in some places. I just love pens/pencils of all kinds, and at the workplace it is easy to lift someone else's cheap pen. Now, I think very consciously before I act, and either announce, "Okay, I claim this pen, or I simply ask." That really has been my only temptation. In the past I work for a jewelry retailer and sometimes I had hundreds of thousands of dollarsworth of jewelry on my desk. It never occurred to me to even think the thought of taking, and sometimes I am shocked that at my current job people cannot leave person belongings in their desk if they go off to another room for a meeting. I simply love being in a place where people are thoroughly trustworthy.

Sexual misconduct: In an age where "stimulation" is the name of the game, it is easy to see how some people can engage in this. I agree 100% with Mariana, that sexual relationships (all relationships) should be based on mutual respect. I have looked at what most people would call "deviant" sites and found them minimally interesting, in the end totally trite and boring. Beware the Internet, though. Relationships are a dime a dozen, and the security of annonymity makes some unhealthy relationships enticing. For me, loving people pre-supposes respect and honor.

False Speech: That is easy enough, but what about subtle falsehoods and / stealing such as lying about check in time at work, or stealing time in the middle of the day to go shopping or take extended lunch break. This is a way of life on this island where I live, but I avoid that and make sure that my work is done diligently and completely first. Then, I ask for time off.
Question--how do we deal with people who lie to us constantly without appearing self-righteous?

Intoxication: I cannot even tolerate a small amount of alcohol, and if I could, I see no benefit to altering a generally happy, peaceful mind in favor of one clouded by liquor. I think Western society promotes the idea that "buzzed" is better, and I find that ridiculous and harmful.

Thanks for this opportunity to Jay, Mariana, for following up on my "complaint" (smile!) that our forum was thinning. Talk to you soon. Lots of affection to you both.

Cathy
Old 01-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #56  
Raindancer1

Hello Sangha For Loss,

Hope weight loss is progressing and that all are healthy. Once again, I want to thank Jay and Mariana for sharing their insights with us, and to encourage everyone who is interested in this lifestyle to contribute to the Buddhist forum. I am using the 5 first Precepts that are quoted in Jay's message above in my daily meditation. I have found that meditation brings a certain amount of insight (in the second stage- vipasyana) and that it is useful to "think" a bit about a principle in particular for a short while.

Wishing you all abundant health and success....Cathy

ps...I have almost finished the Lotus Sutra, and would welcome discussion with others who are interested.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #57  

Hi all,
I was thinking about this topic and the issue of weight loss and why I feel so 'stuck' at the moment. I think it has to do with mindfulness - I've lost weight before, and either I was in an unusual environment that reduced my habits, or I was very focused on what was going into my body in an almost disordered way. Of course, these states never last and I've always gained the weight back eventually.

I guess what I'm looking for this time is a way to stay myself, to keep my life mostly as-is, but become more mindful about the negative food and body choices I make. Of course that is assuming that even if I do that, my weight problem will somehow be "fixed." I guess I want it all - I want to eat healthfully and mindfully and feel confident about my body. And I'd like to think that's the reason I'm feeling resistance to "just doing the program" whatever it might be, because I know that that is not sustainable.

Do you think that people can ever get to the point where weight maintenance is not a huge effort? I know a lot of folks who say "once you're overweight, you always have to be vigilant" which really doesn't sound like a comfortable life to me. Maybe it's also about control - I have been really working in recent years to learn to let go of things I used to hold onto tightly, and I don't want to have to add one more thing that must be grasped so perfectly.

Sorry for the rambling but perhaps something has struck a chord with one of you. Have a wonderful weekend.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #58  

Hello,

This is a nice thread and I have gleaned much information about Buddhism. Despite my name I am not a Buddhist. I have divested myself of my previous belief system (Christianity) and at this point of my life I am grazing all the knowledge that is out there and picking and choosing to follow that which feels right. I get a certain feeling whenever I hit upon a tenet or an idea that speaks as truth. I can't explain it. It just feels like that's been the answer all along.

Some tenets of life that I hold as truth are:
1- Anything is possible
2- What goes around comes around/cause and effect
3- Life must always be in balance. Imbalance promotes disease (of the mind, body, soul)
4- Put unnatural things into your body and you will get unnatural results.

The last one is the result of the extensive research I have been doing on food. Lately food research has become an obsession with me and I feel it's because I'm supposed to do something with it. In America, the food on our shelves is extremely unnatural. Full of chemicals and pesticides. Couple that with the point someone made early in the thread of advertisers promoting desire to consume within a person and you have the reason why America is the fatest nation in the world.

I've managed to overcome much of my poor eating habits. I've replaced a lot of the unnatural foods in my home with natural ones and I shop at the local Whole Foods store almost exclusively now. I eat only when I am truly hungry and I stop when I am full. But I still struggle with urges to consume 1- more than I should and 2- non nutritive foods most especially chocolate. I think on an unconcious level I've practiced the mindfulness techniques. I know that I have those cravings mostly when I am stressed out. But as I am writing this an idea has come to me that I have those cravings also when I think there won't be enough. (Scarcity thinking).

So I'm going to get those books suggested. Hopefully there will be information in them that will help me to overcome completely. Sometimes books are happy to tell you what your problem is but offer no solution to the issue. From reading the thread, however, it seems these books will be helpful.

Thank you all for posting your thoughts, they have truly been helpful.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #59  

Ok, here I am back again! I had another insight and wanted to articulate it before it floated away.

A lot of people seem to get motivated to lose weight by being really disgusted by their bodies. I think that some of my resistance has to do with the fact that I don't hate my body, nor do I want to. I'd love to be skinnier, and feel more confident in clothing etc., but I really try to love my body as it is and be kind to myself. My thought has always been that "harm none" is just as much about yourself as it is about other people and the rest of the world.

I used to think of myself in a very Cartesian way, as a mind and a body that just happened to be somehow physically tied to one another. That led me to some real personal difficulties as I attempted to ignore the embodied feelings I had in favor of 'rational' thoughts. Repression is all great if you can keep it up but eventually you will explode and it's not fun.

For someone who was raised in a Protestant tradition, the whole "hate yourself to make yourself anew" thing seems very Calvinist and self-mortifying (sometimes literally). Non-Western religions like Buddhism seem to argue less for this disconnect and it's one reason why they appeal to me.

But again I'd like to have my cake and eat it too and figure out some way to love myself at any size but still healthfully lose weight and become more fit. Does this make any sense?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:50 AM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKTS
I really try to love my body as it is and be kind to myself. My thought has always been that "harm none" is just as much about yourself as it is about other people and the rest of the world.

But again I'd like to have my cake and eat it too and figure out some way to love myself at any size but still healthfully lose weight and become more fit. Does this make any sense?
These points absolutely make sense to me!

The first point is also a belief that I hold. I sometimes catch the mental thoughts that are running through my mind and just have to scream "stop"... I would never contemplate saying some of the thoughts that I have in my head to another person. When I catch myself in those moments of mindfulness it really highlights the self loathing cycle with my weight. I feel crap about myself, I am depressed, I eat badly then again I admonish myself. Yes it is like a Cartesian argument.." I hate myself because I am fat.. and I am fat because I hate myself" a circular argument with no end. I am trying very hard to be more compassionate with myself.

This may sound a little extreme, but as aversion therapy I wore a big red rubberband around my left wrist for a weekend. Every time I had a negative thought about myself I flicked it. By the end of the weekend I had a painful red welt. I was shocked at how often I thought negatively about myself.

I have tried the metta bahvana meditation and feel that it holds the key to a permanent better outlook for me. The link that Jay provided to Buddhanet contains information on the exercise if you would like to have a look. I try to give metta to myself..well that is the first part of the meditation. I found it incredibly hard, but was able to do so for others. I am saddened by my inability to think well of myself. So I use this meditation despite finding it a difficult one. I also repeat the mantra in the meditation while doing other tasks around the house. While folding washing, for every article of clothing that I pick up, I repeat " May you be well, may you be happy, may you be free from suffering" and the blessing is directed at whoever owns the garment... I include myself in this. While I say it I try to visualise that person, in a way that makes me radiate love (metta).

I also agree that the way to permanent weight loss is to be content with myself at any weight. After I have lost weight I still don't want to have a seige mentality, well I don't want one now. I don't want to feel as if I in a battle. I should eat well and exercise because it is what honours my body and fuels my mind.

It is so lovely to see people contributing to the thread.