Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-17-2005, 09:56 PM   #46  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

I can't imagine running in my running shoes with cotton sox. Think about it. How much did you pay for your running shoes? Your socks are an extension of your shoes. The coolmax or similar sox are gear just like your shoes. Think about it.

I love to run. I'm not the fastest or the best. But there isn't anyone who loves it more than I do and my feet and my legs are what let me run so I pamper them. They deserve the best.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #47  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Ilene - I can't believe you ran in -9! YIKES! And here's me moaning about 4 degrees! I'd better whoop my *** to go out then! My treat for getting out for a run today is to watch Narnia at the cinema! I've got no more excuses! I'll just wait for my lunch to go down, then I'm off!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 AM   #48  
Scale Addict

Miaka, thanks! C25K is about the only thing I'm sticking to these days. lol

'm eating all my favorite holiday treats, and the scale has inched the wrong direction. I haven't been doing any additional exercise this week.

I need to get motivated.
modemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #49  
aka Superwoman!

Can I have a from everyone? I didn't make it out to run yesterday. I was very tired and I thought I'd "listen to my body" and let it sleep on the sofa all afternoon.

However I have my running kit with me today and I am going out, so hoorah!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #50  

Height: 5'-2"

Is anyone here running?
Good going, Julie and Ilene!

As for the rest of us... ... let's get at it, girls!
I've still got this chest cold, and haven't run for three days. I'm going to make an attempt today... even if it means a very short run.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #51  
aka Superwoman!

I am I am! I've just been!

Did day 1 week 4 of C25K. I did everything apart from the last 5 mins jog - I made it 1 min! I took my Zen player too and found it's quite good for taking away the pain - although it didn't help the lung burning!

Felt really good when I got back, so hopefully next time I'll be able to do better!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #52  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
I am I am! I've just been!
Good going, girl!

I just did my 20 minutes on the treadmill, including a 10 minute straight run!
Pretty good considering I've still got this old cough...
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I ran today, even though I've got a cold. My run wasn't as hard as I thought it would be either.

It was about 24 degrees out, so I wore a hat for the first time and I my head got all hot and sweaty.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:39 AM   #54  
Scale Addict

Week 3 completed!!!!

Day 1 was great
Day 2 was tough (super cold out, and my body wanted to hibernate instead of run)
Day 3 I ran for distance not time, and it was easier than day 2 even though my total jogging time increased.
modemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #55  
aka Superwoman!

Calling all runners!

I have a dodgy knee, I've got it since I started running. I am going to get some new fitted running shoes (a shop on my high street watches you run!) but is running on grass better or tarmac? I'm sure grass is more cushioning, but would the unstability lead to a dodgier knee? HELP!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #56  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking WEEK 7 - Here I Come!

Ilene - can't believe you have kept up exercising for so long! Something for me to look forward to, lower heart rate...

2frustrated - about your knee, they are always tricky. If you think it's serious enough, you should see a doctor and see what he says. I have a friend who used to run a lot until she busted her knee. Now she has trouble going up and down the stairs.

modemama - Congratulations on finishing your 3rd week! The first few always seem to be hard.

I just finished my 6th week! Feels great to run for 25 min / 2.5 miles! Although it's not the lung burn or the muscle fatigue, I just get bored after about 10 min. I programmed some music on my mp3 player, hope that helps. It might also be that I am running on the treadmill! My regular running trail is all ice and snow. And it is sooooo cold outside.

Last edited by Miaka; 12-22-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #57  
Working My Way Back Down

Miaka - IMHO running on the is way boring. I put some very upbeat music in my MP3, and also cover the display screen so I don't watch every second tick by! I hear you about the ice and snow, cold and here also the dark!

2F - if the grass is fairly level it's much better than the tarmac. You may need to do some knee strengthening exercises though I'd think your kickboxing would give you strong knees Here's hoping new shoes will help. I love the "high streets" concept. We had a great time in London last spring, and want to come back...
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #58  
Ilene the Bean

Miaka -- The dreadmill is dreadfully BOORING!!! I love running outside in the cold weather tonight it was -8C or 17.6F and it was awesome ran 6.35K or 4 miles...... You don't have to dress that warmly I have hoodie made of dryweave material and a windbreaker with gloves and a baseball cap with the hood on and I am not cold at all I wear 2 pairs of tights and I'm good ... Try outside you may like it and take some heart stomping music too in your MP3... I don't seem to need the music lately for some reason...Dunno why ...

2F -- are you taking Glucosamine? I SWEAR by it!! If I go a day or two without taking it I can feel my knees... I also got orthotics fitted and they are awesome!! Are you weight training too? Leg extensions and leg curls are great to strenghthen the legs, as are lunges, squats ets...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:15 AM   #59  
aka Superwoman!

I am indeed a lady who lifts. I do squats and deadlifts and I think it slightly contributed to whatever's happening in my knee. It was slightly achy for a bit, then I squatted down at a book shop and something just twanged, so maybe it just needs some rest. I've not noticed any difference when I took the glucosamine so I stopped taking it a while ago, but maybe it's time to start back up again. I'll report back on what happens!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #60  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

2F - I'm no running expert but I do have an on-off dodgy knee myself. My two penn'orth is that pavements are bad (because they're made of concrete), roads are better (because they're made of tarmac) and that tracks and trails (and grass and parks, I suppose) are the best. I wonder if you've been running on concrete pavements and that's aggravated your poorly knee?

Next point: my doctor always says to me she's no good with soft tissue (grrr-eat) and I gather most runners are very lucky indeed if they get a GP who knows about both running and bodies. Invest in seeing a physio (about £30 outside London, guess £50 in London)?

Good luck!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote