Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I still have potty issues from time to time but still haven't narrowed it down to a cause. It isn't usually more than once a week. I just keep the Immodium handy. LOL
Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #212  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

carol sue: do you no longer take metformin? because berberine can affect your body's ability to use metformin.
It interacts with other drugs too, so be careful with its use. It is a powerful medication, even if not prescribed.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

fatmad I'm the one on berberine. I don't think Carol Sue is taking it. I'm glad you shared about it being a powerful medication because I have had to cut back to only 1 pill of 450 mg a day. If I take 2, I have potty issues, but when I take only 1 it works perfectly with no problems. I only take Lisinopril and a mild fluid pill that I think is usually used as a blood pressure pill. He gave this pill to me when I asked the SC doc for a mild fluid pill because I don't like using Lasix because I think it is too strong. What I like about this fluid pill is that it only works as a fluid pill if I need it too.

Carol Sue Like said to fatmad, I have had to cut the berberine to only 1 a day. I took it last night and my blood sugar was better this morning. I think taking it at night works better just like the Metformin does for you taking one at night.

I haven't been very hungry today so that is good. I read the berberine could do that too. That is one of the things I did like about the Metformin. So I hope it continues to work that way for me. My low reading today before I ate lunch was 104. The lowest I've had in years. This is really working.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #214  

No, I'm not taking Berberine. I read up on it and decided to try doing my best with the Metformin and I find it's working well as long as I eat properly and remember to take it when I should. I forgot to take it at dinner yesterday and my BS went up to 159. Based on what I ate, salmon, it should not have gone that high. I forgot to check before bed but it was 147 this morning. Higher than it's been, but lower than I was getting before, so I am OK with it. If I remember to keep the Metformin evenly spaced throughout the day it seems to work much better.

I didn't get on the scale this morning. I don't want to weigh and not show a loss, so I'm waiting until my rings feel loose. That's usually my first sign. I was as 201 last time I weighed and I really want to slide into Onederland again, and stay there this time!

I think today is going to be a good day for me!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #215  

Carol Sue I'm glad you are figuring out how you bs reads according to how you take meds and eat etc. I am trying to learn that too. I found it interesting this morning that at 8:22 172, 8:35 it was 167 and at 9:03 it was 180. These were all FBS. I had not had a bite or drink of anything.

After reading what fatmad wrote you about Berberine, I decided to do it the way the doctor has you do with Metformin. For a while I will only take one pill until my body adjusts to it. Then I will go up to 2 pills a day and see how this works. I will continue the low GL and the 30 minute exercise a day as well as my other activity. Who know with the diet and exercise, I might not even have to go to 2 Berberines a day.

I read up on my Chloridiathone as a fluid pill and saw that it would be better if I take it daily rather than just when I think I need it. I will discuss this with the nurse next week. Seems I have a free once a year Medicare screening with her. Crazy since I just saw the doctor, but I will do it any way. We are in TX Medicare and evidently each state does things a little different.

Have to get ready to go for DH Pre-eye surgery approval from Primary and he will do the Medicare screening for him today as well. Have a good day.

I had breakfast with DD and DS this morning. No starchy carbs yet. We are going to Cracker Barrel after DD doc appointment. Easy to stay OP there.

Have a good day everyone. I love this way of eating.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #216  

Trish, blood sugar readings can differ from minute to minute with different drops of blood, so your three reading were all relatively the same. Meters are allowed to be within 20 % accuracy, and they are just to be considered a guide. Any time you think your reading might be too high, wash your hands using warm water, dry and try again. Sometimes something on your hands can cause a higher reading.

Our medicare allows us to go for a free annual check up also, but we don't do it because we always go at least once a year unless there's a problem and we have $0 copay.

This morning I had some Greek Yogurt for breakfast, and for lunch DH and I split a gyro. I didn't eat the pita, but cut the filling up into a salad like I do with pizza and Subway sandwiches. I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner. It's up to DH because I can find something no matter where we go. I am trying to eat more yogurt and cottage cheese at breakfast and cut back on eggs. Somewhere I read a list of foods to avoid if you have an autoimmune disease, like psoriasis. It listed eggs, unfortunately. I will cut back, but I know I won't stop them altogether. They are a staple for me. Another of the foods was coffee. It was strange, because it even said that drinking coffee can help you avoid type 2 diabetes, but at the same time it says it raises blood sugar. That is probably why my blood sugar goes up as the morning goes on, and I was blaming it on the sugar free coffee creamer I use. It has 2 gm of carb per spoonful. I remember a few years back I gave up coffee/caffiene altogether and there was no improvement in my psoriasis, but maybe I didn't do it long enough, or maybe I was still eating foods that effect it. They say that it is an autoimmune disease but they don't really know what causes it. I don't want to take the strong drugs they have for it, so I will just keep trying different things. I have had this for almost 20 years, so I'm just learning to live with it. There are much worse things.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #217  

Yesterday after dinner, I ate some sunflower and pumpkin seed kernels. I think they are low carb. When I went to bed my BS was 127. This morning fasting was 180. The kernels were the only thing I did different, so I have to assume they were the problem, but I don't understand why my BS was still low at bedtime. There are so many things I still don't understand about diabetes and how it all works.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #218  

Carol Sue I know I don't understand a lot about diabetes either. My FBS was pretty good today. Not down where I want it, but much better than yesterday. I ate more carbs than I I'm supposed to, so go figure. I ate better today so we will see what happens tomorrow.

I only did 20 minutes of exercise today. I've got to get back into a routine again. I don't know why I have such a struggle with that. I think I was disappointed when my doctor said I need to walk for exercise. My doctor in SC was thrilled with me using the recumbent bike. I think the difference threw me. I've decided not to worry about it. Exercise on the recumbent bike is better than no exercise at all so I'm going to do what I can do. I have no idea how this all works. It is so confusing. About the time I think I've figured something out that works, it suddenly changes. I just keep working at it; never giving up.

Oh, one thing I have noticed with this way of eating is that my joints are not hurting. Evidently eating too many starchy carbs must be what makes my joints hurt.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-10-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #219  

Trish, I agree that the recumbent bike is very good exercise. Some people get no exercise. I have heard that the recumbent bike is good for the knees, and you are using your leg muscles. I also agree with your new doctor that weight-bearing exercise is important for your bones, though. I think the walking when you go shopping contributes to exercise, so I think you've got it covered. Whatever you do, don't stop the bike. I think the walking is more important for people like me who are starting to have trouble getting around.

I was actually looking at walkers in a catalog today. LOL It's really not a laughing matter. We have my MIL's walker here that no one wanted when she passed away. If I ever do need one, I want one with a seat that doubles as a storage compartment. I hope I never need it.

My BG is still doing well. It usually stays in the 120s even after eating and sometimes lower. That is a big improvement from what it was in the recent past! Last night when I went to bed it was 125, and when I got up this morning it was 127, so no dawn phenomenon. It would be really nice to have that continue. I'm half afraid to get my hopes up. When I got up this morning, I felt a little shaky and weak, nauseated. I felt like I needed some sugar, and you know, I don't even like sweets that much. So I had a cookie. I checked my BG 2 hours later and it was 147, so that cookie didn't do a LOT of harm. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I did feel better after the cookie. My blood sugar was not low, just low for me. It could have been because I woke up at 5 AM, checked BG and took my Metformin. Maybe the Metformin on a very empty stomach did that, I don't know. Now I had some eggs and sausage for breakfast so I feel much better. It really helps me to take the Metformin when I first get up, but I will have to think of something small that I could eat with it if I continue to feel that way. I don't want to start eating breakfast that early, because I just get up and go to the bathroom, and test. Even eating at 9 this morning was early for me.

Another thing I have started to eat is cooked cabbage with Laughing Cow Cheese and sometimes some shredded chicken. I love cooked cabbage and I saw this recipe on a JUDDD forum to be used on a DD. You cook the cabbage, then add the cheese and let it melt in. Add the chicken or not. If I have some chicken I add it, if not I eat the cabbage and cheese as it is. I have not bought real Laughing Cow Cheese. I bought a generic version at Aldi's and I really like it. It's a white cheddar version, which Laughing Cow doesn't have. I like cooked cabbage, and it is healthy. I have been sprinkling it with some spices, like Cumin, which adds a good flavor.

My joints are still hurting, Trish. I wish I could take Motrin. I think I would be a lot more active if I didn't have the pain.

I haven't weighed for a few days. I think I'll wait until Monday. I'm still trying to get back into Onederland.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #220  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Thanks for the clarification:
Trish, if you can handle the berberine, it may be a good compromise for you since you never did tolerate metformin. Make sure to let your doctor know about it, as there are some drug interactions that are important.
If my own doctor had not been willing to put me on metformin when she did, I would have gone to berberine.
I am trying to get myself motivated to go beyond the ticker, to lose the weight and really get in shape. Then the morning comes, and i have little or no desire to get moving first thing. The rain has stopped now, so maybe I can talk myself into a walk.
Last night I had a few fries with my fish dinner, and have been struggling all week with food because I had a terrible cold, sore throat and generally was feeling crummy. I guess maybe struggling isn't the right word, because appetite was low, but mostly I wanted carbs to eat, and was craving them. Even last night, we were on the ferry to the island where our cottage is, and after supper, the urge to go buy a chocolate bar was almost overwhelming, I didn't dare get up from the table to walk around, I would have just gone to the tuck shop.
Made it through, but barely. Ok now we are here, there are no treats around to tempt me, at least until our guests come.
How do you motivate yourself to get moving? I feel the need to be in better shape in general anyhow, but moving is a chore.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #221  

I got on the scale this morning and I have not lost any more weight, but I'm happy to say I'm still sticking with low carb and BS is still good. Yesterday after dinner I had some pretzels. I think it was the salt that drew me in. So FBG was in the 140s this morning. You play, you pay! I hope this plan becomes a lifestyle for me. I would love to have a GREAT A1c number next time! I am not Atkins low carb. I haven't counted lately, but occasionally I have some potato, starchy veggies, or fruit. I eat bananas for the potassium and oranges for the Vit C. I also have some blueberries in the freezer and have some of them from time to time. I don't eat my 5-a-day as recommended, but I do much better than I did before. I would also like to add some milk back in at some point for the calcium.

Mad, good job on saying NO to the chocolate bar. It's hard to resist, but each time you do, it makes you stronger. Chocolate is a particular weakness for me. I buy the 85% dark chocolate bars at Aldi's and break off a square every few days. Dark chocolate is said to have heart-healthy properties. DH buys bags of Dove chocolate, which is milk chocolate, and not heart-healthy. Those are the ones I have to avoid, and I do a fairly good job of it. They are very small, so not as bad if I do indulge. He keeps them out of my sight. I haven't bought a chocolate bar in a store for a very long time, as I only want to eat a bite at a time.

I bought some bars at Aldi's called Elevation. They come in a box similar to Atkins Endings bars. The ones I bought are caramel nut, covered in chocolate. Nutrition info....Cals 130, fat 8gm, protein 5gm, and 2 net carbs when you take into consideration the fiber and sugar alcohols. This is another thing that I can make last a very long time. I cut off a 1 inch piece every couple days, for just a taste. I am amazed that I am able to do that now with some things. In the past, I would eat all 5 bars the day I brought them home. I know that it's recommended not to do this, but I am able to eat just a bite, and knowing I can have it keeps me from cravings and bingeing. I am not recommending these for anyone who is still having a problem with cravings. I realize that makes it a different story.

I never order french fries with my meal, but will eat a few from DH's plate. If I had them on my own plate I would eat all of them, so I'm better off this way.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #222  

Here is an interesting article I just read about low fat vs low carb. It's a couple years old, but seems to have some good information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...low-fat-diets/

At the end it states what we already know. It doesn't matter so much what plan you follow, but how well you stick to it.

This strengthens my resolve to NOT eat high fat, but for me and my blood sugar, I still need to stay relatively low carb.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #223  

Carol Sue Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Although I do eat some lowfat foods, I actually do choose to eat or use some of the healthier fats such as avocado, EVOO etc. When I eat chocolate, I usually eat dark chocolate. I even had DH eating Dk Chocolate covered pomegranate. At one time he would only eat milk chocolate. However, his mother at milk chocolate most of her life and didn't have heart problems until she was 90 yrs old when she had to have a pacemaker inserted. Not really bad.

I agree Carol that we don't have to eat high fat.

fatmad I surely hope you start feeling better soon. A cold is no fun.

I did tell my doc about the Berberine. The first time I told him I was going to use it, he kind of made a weird face. However, at my 3 month appointment he said to me, "You aren't taking anything for you diabetes are you?" I told him that the only thing I take for bs is Chromium Picolinate and Berberine. My A1c was 5.9 so he didn't say a word about it. No weird look either. Since then I've read of doctor's using Berberine in place of Metformin for their patients.

I'm still taking only 1 Berberine a day for now. The Berberine with the fruit, veggies and nuts I eat, my potty trips are pretty normal. My FBS was 161 when I got up, but 155 before breakfast. I figure it is probably fairly good earlier except I don't get up to check it then. According to new doc, I don't have to check it, but I want to know what is going on. Plus I try to remember that the meter always reads higher than my A1c does. So if I can keep it down like it is, I'm doing good and I just hope it will continue to get better. I didn't exercise like I should have last week so that makes a difference too.

I've been using Stevia in place of the Splenda, but I think I'm going back to the Splenda. The Stevia is just too sweet for me and I can't seem to cut it back enough for not to be too sweet for me. The fruit seems to be taking care of the desire for sweets which is what it is supposed to do.

I have my own routine and I think it was pretty good so I'm getting back on it this next week. I'm not getting as hungry as I was so I think that is a good sign that I'm on the right track.

I had my bacon egg taquito at Whataburger yesterday and it was way too salty. It must be the cook because I've only had over salted eggs once before. That with my regular Friday meal, my weight is up this morning.

DD isn't feeling good and never does early in the morning. It takes him a couple of hours to start feeling better. I hope he gets some answers from his primary in a few weeks. His bp was up and he hadn't taken his medicine yet. I told him that he needed to take it because his Lasix is in his pills for today and that would keep his bp from going up. Long story short, he just hadn't taken it. My DS and I can't go everyday and I don't think he wants us too. DS and I talked about it this morning that we may have to put him in a facility if he isn't going to take his meds like he should. Her DD and her DH are moving here at the end of this month. DS said she hopes she will help us with that as that is what she does as a social worker working with cancer patients with the Cancer Association. She knows more about that than we do.

Have a good weekend.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #224  

Trish, I think with an A1c of 5.9 your doctor shouldn't have anything to complain about. Some doctors believe you should take pharmaceuticals so they will never agree with anything else. I say keep doing what you're doing as it's working.

I got burned out on avocado, so I've stopped it for a while. I eat salmon, olives and nuts for my healthy fat. I don't worry about marbled fat in meat but I don't purposely add any extra fat. When DH cooks the eggs for breakfast he cook them in butter, but when I cook them I use cooking spray. The eggs themselves have fat in them.

I hope your DD starts to do better. I know you don't want to put him in assisted living, but it might be what's best at his age. I know around here there are people in assisted living who have their cars with them and are still able to drive and be a little independent, but they have assistance for things like meds and personal care. I hope whatever you do works out well for him.

This morning I had a pancake with an egg on top. Blood sugar is 135 right now, so it will have to go a little lower before I eat again.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #225  

I am going to go back to counting calories on MFP. Tomorrow is my WI. I'm hanging around the same 3 lbs so I think I need to count the calories. However, I will stay with the GL way of eating. I do like having such a variety of food choices.

Carol Sue I cook my eggs in Pam like spray. I found an EVOO spray that I use on my salads now with ACV instead of pouring EVOO on it. I also eat avocados for a while and then get tired of them and stop for a while. I don't really worry about the marble fat in meat either. One of the things I like about the GL plan is that I can have as much veggies as I want. However, I actually have to limit the fruit to 2.
Closed Thread