Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #76  

Height: 5'7"

I called the dr office today with questions. They said anything above 5.5 is prediabetic.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #77  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
I called the dr office today with questions. They said anything above 5.5 is prediabetic.
At my last visit I saw my doc's cheat sheet and 6.2% is diabetic. I had been at 6 in Dec and they were expecting me to be diagnosed by my next appointment in April but I started low carb and lowered it. I have been prediabetic for about 7 years. My fasting levels had been in the 115-125 range but now they are running closer to 100-110.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 06-10-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #78  
~Shannon

Donna I made the frappe thing again today. I added a little more sugar sub. this time and it was better, still not tasting like a frosty though, lol!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

dgramie Welcome. I don't know much about prediabetic as my doctor doesn't use that term. With him, your either are or not diabetic. However, my last A1c was 6.2 and he was happy with that. For me eating night snacks don't work. We've all kind of learned around here that what works for one doesn't always works for all. I agree with Carol Sue your fbs is low enough that you should be able to get it under control. I would experiment with eating a evening snack and not eating a snack and then test the next day to see how it affects your fbs. There are many things most diabetics can eat, but through testing my bs throughout the day, I have learned that I cannot eat certain foods just because another diabetic can.

I'm just checking in to let y'all know that I am still around for a few more days. We will be leaving early Saturday morning around 7ish headed to IN. I will try to check in again before I leave and will take my laptop so I'll heck in from time to time while on my trip.

Eating as been fair. I've been having an Atkins shake with fruit for breakfast and eating 2 meals. Haven't been good about not eating snacks, but will work on that one.

A lot to do, but just wanted to drop in and say Hi!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I'm having some difficulty with this book Don't Go Hungry for Life. The woman who wrote it is from Australia and all the discussions about weight loss, calories, measurements are in the metric system, which people in my age group were never taught, at least I wasn't. I will have to google a little cheat sheet to understand what she's talking about.

The only thing I've learned so far is that when you hit a plateau and your weight won't budge your body is adjusting to a new Set Point. Instead of getting discouraged, eat a little bit more, and your body will start losing again. Also, she says that besides weighing you should also measure your waistline regularly. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but the waist measurement will. And when you exercise, it makes your muscles absorb fluid and glycogen, which will make you weigh more. (the reason they say muscle weighs more than fat.) I am only a couple chapters into this.

I'm tired and I'm going to bed early.

G'night!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-10-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #81  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I'm having some difficulty with this book Don't Go Hungry for Life. The woman who wrote it is from Australia and all the discussions about weight loss, calories, measurements are in the metric system, which people in my age group were never taught, at least I wasn't. I will have to google a little cheat sheet to understand what she's talking about.

The only thing I've learned so far is that when you hit a plateau and your weight won't budge your body is adjusting to a new Set Point. Instead of getting discouraged, eat a little bit more, and your body will start losing again. Also, she says that besides weighing you should also measure your waistline regularly. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but the waist measurement will. And when you exercise, it makes your muscles absorb fluid and glycogen, which will make you weigh more. (the reason they say muscle weighs more than fat.) I am only a couple chapters into this.

I'm tired and I'm going to bed early.

G'night!
Interesting.....that fits with what alot of folks in my low carb group are saying. They claim that when their weightloss stalls they eat higher carb for day then go back to low carb and they start losing again. Most of them are on Atkins.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #82  

Height: 5'7"

My fbs was 116 this morning. It's going down hopefully I can get it below 100 before long. I checked it at 5pm before eating dinner and it was 97. So basically my readings are great except overnight.

Hubby is helping me monitor my eating which is truly funny.
Took a morning walk yesterday and plan to again today.
Thanks for letting me post here.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #83  

dgramie, the more posters we have, the more information we get, so stick around!

I'm still waiting for this book to speak to me. I do not track. I try from time to time, but never stick to it. She recommends also making a notation before and after eating about how you feel....degree of hunger....degree of satisfaction. This is to make you aware that you are actually hungry when you eat, or that you are satisfied rather than stuffed. Although it's a good theory, I don't see myself doing that. It might help, but I'm not into it. There are those who swear by it.

I sure hope I get something from this book because I actually bought this one. It was not available at the library.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #84  
~Shannon

Carol Sue I'm not into tracking food or feelings either. I think I've told you my binge eating disorder developed after being on WW (and reaching Lifetime). Ever since then if I even think too much about tracking, much less write anything down, I binge. I have read alot on this and many others have had a similar reaction. Apparently some scientists feel that the tracking can become obsessive and can feel like you are being controlled by numbers. I don't pretend to understand it, I just know, for me, it is dangerous. That being said I seem to be stalling at 23 lbs lost. I have had a number of Atkins followers tell me that "reducing carbs" without counting typically only produces a 20-25 lb loss. That is in the back of my mind but also Diamondgeog (3FC member who got on my nerves because he was too zealous but I agreed with alot of what he was pushing) claimed he lost all of his weight (I think it was around 100 lbs) without any counting so I don't know. I guess I will keep on the way I'm going unless I don't lose for much longer.

FBS 106 today but weight is up. I think the pork rinds got me, lol! I'm going to get as much water in today as I can and see if it's just sodium.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonsnail View Post

FBS 106 today but weight is up. I think the pork rinds got me, lol! I'm going to get as much water in today as I can and see if it's just sodium.

I think this is something in the Carolina water! LOL Both you and Rennie have that issue. She's missing again, by the way. I TOLD her not to do that! My FBG never has any correlation with my weight. My FBG is up because I ate rice yesterday, not only the small amount I put in the stuffed peppers but also ate the leftover rice. So what good did it do to only put a small amount in the peppers if I'm just going to eat extra? I usually make a cup of rice, but I think I will have to switch to 1/2 cup since I know I'm not going to use the whole cup. I think I secretly just want to have some left over to eat. DH has switched from cereal in the evening to rice with milk and sugar. And he's losing weight.

You know how I always say I don't like salty snacks? Well I found something to prove me wrong. DH bought these things called Ritz Toasted Chips Sour Cream and Onion Flavor. I love them and can't quit eating them. He said he's not going to buy they again because they raised his blood pressure. Boy am I glad, because I could not handle knowing they are in the house. Meanwhile there's a bag of pretzels going stale....
Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hey all, back today. My FBS this morning was 99! Whoot. my weight 185

You could try adding a bit more cocoa to your frappe, understand I went almost a year not eating anything sweet so my tastes might be a bit different.

Wannabe.. I kind of believe the set point thing, I have had a rough time getting below 188, I stalled at the end of January and nothing was budging it. I think that may be a set point for me. I've changed things up (again) and I've started to see some movement.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #87  

Donna, I am hoping that her theory about the Set Point is true, because she said that once you are at a lower weight for a while it becomes your new Set Point until you lose enough to get a new Set Point. I know when I was thin I was in the low 130s, but I constantly battled to get down to 120. I would get into the 120s but unless I starved myself I couldn't stay there. I finally accepted the low 130s and was able to stay there for 10 years. I think that was my Set Point at that time. I don't ever see myself reaching that weight again, but I definately don't want to live the rest of my life in the 190s.

Great FBG and weight, by the way!
Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #88  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I think this is something in the Carolina water! LOL Both you and Rennie have that issue. She's missing again, by the way. I TOLD her not to do that! My FBG never has any correlation with my weight. My FBG is up because I ate rice yesterday, not only the small amount I put in the stuffed peppers but also ate the leftover rice. So what good did it do to only put a small amount in the peppers if I'm just going to eat extra? I usually make a cup of rice, but I think I will have to switch to 1/2 cup since I know I'm not going to use the whole cup. I think I secretly just want to have some left over to eat. DH has switched from cereal in the evening to rice with milk and sugar. And he's losing weight.

You know how I always say I don't like salty snacks? Well I found something to prove me wrong. DH bought these things called Ritz Toasted Chips Sour Cream and Onion Flavor. I love them and can't quit eating them. He said he's not going to buy they again because they raised his blood pressure. Boy am I glad, because I could not handle knowing they are in the house. Meanwhile there's a bag of pretzels going stale....
Ha ha! I don't know if I'm having the same weird phenomenom as Rennie! My FBS has been pretty consistent at 105-106 for about a week now regardless of whether I ate low carb the day before or not. If my meter is high like I think I believe I now have a normal FBS (<100)! I am beginning to think my weight loss has improved my insulin resistance. I must be cautious though in getting too excited because I know that if I go back to how I used to eat or gain the weight back I would just be going back to square one.

Regarding rice....I made my first cauli rice last nice that I liked. It was my third attempt and I added parm cheese to it and heavy whipping cream. It made it cheesy and creamy, like a risotto but different texture. I used half a head and froze the rest (already "riced" but not mixed with anything). I wonder if you could rice some cauli and freeze it in servings for you so you only have to make the amt of regular rice that your hubby will eat? Just a thought.

I am enjoying such a yummy lunch. Last night I cooked garlic butter shrimp and had leftovers since Olivia refused them (so odd since she loves shrimp) so I broiled them with some mont jack cheese and made a wrap with avocado. I started buying the Joseph's lavash wraps at Walmart (low carb) and 1/2 wrap is the perfect size for me at lunch. I have enough shrimp left for lunch again tomorrow! It is so funny to me how I never ever ate leftovers before and now get creative with them for my lunches!

P.S. Rennie don't make me put out a search warrant!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 06-11-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #89  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsakids View Post
Hey all, back today. My FBS this morning was 99! Whoot. my weight 185

You could try adding a bit more cocoa to your frappe, understand I went almost a year not eating anything sweet so my tastes might be a bit different.

Wannabe.. I kind of believe the set point thing, I have had a rough time getting below 188, I stalled at the end of January and nothing was budging it. I think that may be a set point for me. I've changed things up (again) and I've started to see some movement.
Donna, this attempt was better than the last. I used my Swerve the last time but tried splenda this time. I think splenda is the devil but I honestly like the taste of it better in alot of things. I've decided no matter what, for me, sugar is worse so I just keep trying to figure out what keeps me out of it.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 06-11-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi girls. Just a quick flyby. I am not counting anything right now just eating more Intuitively until I get back from the trip. The amazing thing is that while I'm not losing any more weight right now, I am pretty much keeping steady with my 16 to 17 lb loss. The thing that has amazed me the most is that my fbs is staying in the 120s. Since the new meter I use probably reads a little high, that means the reading isn't bad considering I am eating carbs. Interesting conversation y'all are having. I'm not writing much right now since I have to get everything done to leave early Saturday morning. However, I am reading.

Have a great day!!!
Closed Thread