Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Ok, all, Sorry about the multiple posts. I can't figure out how to do a new thread but I could use some advice.

How did you handle telling others that you have diabetes? My parents know and a couple of my dearest friends but I haven't really told anyone. Most people just think that I have gone on a health kick because I have lost so much weight and I am taking better care of myself.

So, how did you handle it? Who did you tell and when? Is it silly to think about people treating you differently? Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #62  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Montana, no need to tell people at all if it bothers you, not that it's an embarrassment. Let them just think you've changed the way you eat and are working on "personal renovation".

My personal reno project is not doing well. Funny how a few days of rotten eating can set you off on the bad track. I am purging my kitchen of leftover baking from the weekend including a half box of Girl Guide cookies. I am considering asking my dentist to remove my sweet tooth!

Weight is still up although down a smidgen and FBGL was still up there again. Looking back at yesterday's menu, I had bread or potato carbs at every meal - not good, especially when topped off with evil GG cookies. I'll give it a few more days before I change my lying ticker.

On we go!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #63  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default what happens when you forget a dose of metformin?

If I ever wondered how much the metformin helps, was on plan yesterday from lunchtime on, but forgot the evening dose of metformin, fasting blood sugar this am 6.3! Thats 113 to our US friends! yikes. And here I have been complaining about the mid 5 range that I usually have. Well, I certainly am not having bad side effects from the metformin so will definitely stay on it.
It has been cold, we had snow on Sunday, and it hasn't left yet.
I did like Dad's lady friend, she was a little shy, but thats ok. Dad seemed to want to be sure to tell me he wasn't looking for a wife, that they are both happy just to be companionable and not to live together or anything. (not that its my business really, I feel pretty strongly that he has the right of any adult to decide about his future and love life. ) BUt I suspect he wanted to reassure me. I have no doubts about his love for my mother, so have no insecurities there.
Ruth, would that I could remove my sweet tooth. There were days in my skinny youth where I would eat a bag of cookies for meals all day, and maybe get protein from the glass of milk I used to wash a few of them down.
Eating sugary stuff leaves me feeling crummy, but my mouth is SOOOO happy at the time.
CHicken salad lunch day. yum
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #64  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Ok, all, Sorry about the multiple posts. I can't figure out how to do a new thread but I could use some advice.

How did you handle telling others that you have diabetes? My parents know and a couple of my dearest friends but I haven't really told anyone. Most people just think that I have gone on a health kick because I have lost so much weight and I am taking better care of myself.

So, how did you handle it? Who did you tell and when? Is it silly to think about people treating you differently? Any help would be appreciated
Montana, I just told people. It may help if you warn people in fact. Let them know you will be eating a bit differently, that it is "doctors orders" if they argue with you. It doesn't always keep them from trying to get you to have food you shouldn't, (just a little won't hurt you, or potatoes can't be bad for you etc) but you can just repeat it like a mantra. If you don't tell them, and they assume you are just continuing your "health kick" or diet, that is fine too, but it may help to get them on your side to know there is a reason.

BTW, there are plenty of recipes in the low carb section for a variety of sugar free cheesecakes. They are not low fat, or even low cal, but are prefect for occasional treats when you don't want a sugary dessert. I also make a sugar free nut torte, that makes a great sponge cake if you want something with berries and cream, or making trifle or tiramisu sugar free.
let me know if you want the tort recipe, its a complicated one tho.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #65  
Madeleine

Good morning everyone. Well, I can see my diabetes is under control generally, but still active. Did take my meds yesterday, good thing. A friend asked me to come for sushi, and I did. SOme yummy sushi and tempura. 2 hours later bs 11.3, and an hour later 10.2 ! then it must have dipped dramatically, I fell asleep for an hour and it was 4.1 after that. Was 5.1 this am. So I guess sushi is off the list.
Thats the disadvantage of NOT being on insulin, when you go off plan, you can't adjust for it.
So today, low carb. I feel like I have been making excuses for not staying on plan, and it is time to kick my butt (go ahead and give me a kick) and get back on low carb. My weight is fine, staying stable, but not my sugars, which is the most important thing right now.

Weather is miserable, rainy and cold, had some freezing rain last night, expect and little white flaky stuff. Who would have thought that Easter/Passover so late in April would be so cold and miserable.
HOping to try out the new more local yoga tonight!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #66  
Come on Spring!

Montana, when people insist I just try a bit, I ask them if they know what to do if someone goes into a diabetic coma. That stops the nonsense.

I've decided that I really am a sugar addict and just cannot have the stuff in the house. Yesterday I found myself "snacking" on leftover white chocolate melting wafers and considering melting them in my herb tea! Duh! What's next? A sandwich of a Skor bar between leaves of romaine?

Weight is down a tiny bit again this morning but I forgot to test my blood. I've also missed taking my other bedtime meds besides the Met. and Glyburide. This morning I will set it up before I do my treadmill and get dressed.

Broccoli soup is on the "Look After Ruthie" list today. I need to give my health some priority.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #67  

Morning!

Ruth - Good One!

Fatmad - hang in there. Today will be a better day. You have inspired me a lot with your posts while I was lurking here and once I joined. Each day is a new one, sister, with the opportunity to do it right. (or as close to right as we can).

I have had two really stressful days at work and I don't think it will get much better for a little while. I was happy with myself that I stayed on plan. I had a terrible urge to stop and get a big cheeseburger on the way home from work but I didn't do it. I had a lovely and healthy dinner instead.

Well, I am going to fight my depression and lethargy and go do the wii Walk it Out to silly music now before I head to work.

Have a great day!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #68  
Madeleine

Got to the new yoga studio tonight, its run by one of the teachers in the city place I go to. Was very nice, will trr to get there tomorrow night too. The classes on Wed and thurs pm are the only suitable ones, but that will be a couple of times to NOT drive 30 minutes to town for yoga, so that will be a savings of time and gas, and maybe allow me to do more. DId pretty well today, had a few scalloped potatoes with supper. I made them with cheese, and some cream, not just milk. BS afterward was 6.1, acceptable by any standard. Is it because potatoes are healthier, lower glycemic than rice? or did the fat slow the glucose down? Also, didn't pig out, that is always good.
Montana, keep fighting the blues, and exercise is one of the best ways.
hope the outdoors will perk up and warm up so I can get out and in the sun more.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #69  

Fatmad - the yoga sounds nice. I don't know about the potatoes. I know that a small baked potato is the carb that I don't spike from. I thought it was maybe the fiber.

Had a little piece of cake today at a meeting but fbs was 81 at supper ( 2 hours later) so I am doing ok. I had a minimal cal supper to balance the calories.

Hope everyone has a restful night.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #70  
Come on Spring!

Grrrr! Insomnia is striking again. I get to sleep but am wide awake around 3. So silly! I really have very little to worry about but everything looms bigger and looks worse at 3 a.m. Of course I worry that low BGL is what wakens me but my test was 6.2 this morning so ...

Another day of careful eating ahead. I need to get this weight off and the FBGL readings back down. This has to be a "Be Good to Ruthie" Day.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #71  

Ruth Insomnia sucks! Funny how your mind races and won't stop, huh? I hope it eases for you, we need our rest, right?

My fbs was 91 this morning- pretty good because I had been laying in bed for more than an hour trying to go back to sleep and I know that makes it higher. Breakfasted lightly on a slice of low carb bread and a little low sugar peanut butter. I have lots of joint pain today so just did a very light workout.

Hang in there Ruth, the weight is sliding off you and you are working on your health. Have a good day everyone!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #72  
Come on Spring!

Things a bit better today after a good eating day and an early bed. I slept right through to 5:30 without even a potty break. Today should be a good food day and I'm feeling strong about dinner at my sister's tomorrow. Easter candy should be resistible if I refuse to do the "just one" thing.

The gym is closed until Tuesday a.m. but I will do treadmill and walk to Church if it warms up enough.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #73  
Madeleine

GOt to yoga again last night, was a bit sore afterward. If I can do some at home today, will really start to build up muscles and strength.
Did well yesterday with eating, a bit stressful at work tho. We are hiring some part time help, for admin, and the two admins have different first choices, I may have to be the tie breaker, I was hoping to avoid that, and have them choose their assistant and me not worry to much, but alas, no. I am taking the weekend to decide, and maybe they will think about it and come to an agreement, I feel like I can't win this one. Bs are fine with low carb.
hope everyone has a nice long weekend and the family doesn't throw us off plan.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #74  

Morning all.

FBS was 84 this am - I was happy until I had a hard time getting through my workout. I didn't sleep well because I have a major dentist appt today and I am always scared of the dentist. I made it through my normal hour of aerobics but it was tough. I think I will have a small snack or half a protein shake or something if my fbs is below 90 before a workout. Funny, I have been obsessing about it going high during a workout. I keep getting reminded by my body that this is all about BALANCE. Maybe one of these days I will figure it out.

I wish everyone luck over the holiday. I am going to try to use moderation, stick to plan and allow for small treats.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just a flyby to wish all of you a

We have no special plans... church and back home. No evening class this week. I do go to beauty shop in the morning and then run by the store. I've been avoiding the Easter goodies so far. So if I stay away from it at the store tomorrow I'll be fine.

Y'all have a great Easter weekend.
Closed Thread