Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Riemontana Congratulations on such a good report. I love it when I go to the doctor and things have gone so well that he is happy with my progress.

Ruthie I play the scale game to. I always plan not to and end up getting on them anyway.

I've had some sort of exercise all week. I exercised Monday and Tuesday. Walked a lot Wednesday at 2 Walmarts because one didn't have the one of medicines DH needed so had to go to another. Then today I decided we had to do the yard. DH wasn't happy with me, but he used the riding mower and I used the weed eater and pulled weeds out of the flower garden. I didn't get it all done cause a neighbor came over to talk, so will have to finish it when we get back from doc office. DH has blood work done tomorrow. FBG was 109 Thursday morning so I was happy about that. Guess I better get to bed. I've been trying to get at least 7 hrs sleep, but really need to have 8.

Have a great Friday.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #47  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

A bit too carby yesterday so FBGL a tad high at 6.2 this morning. The good news is that means I don't need to eat a sturdy breakfast before I go to the gym. The darn scale is up to 187 again but an abstemious weekend should fix that.

I am very pleased that I am sticking with going to the gym and just know it will be helpful when I start into the heavy gardening. Next step will be to start going for a walk in the early evening now that it's brighter out there. (Sitting down to watch Judge Judy at 7 PM is not exercise. My rule for summer is usually "No TV until it's dark". I must start enforcing it again or send Ruthie to her room! )

Big baking day today for the sale tomorrow. I am armed with my surgical gloves so I don't taste and have my pitcher of water and SF gum ready to roll. I won't be making my ginger cookies as the candied ginger seems to have disappeared.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #48  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
A bit too carby yesterday so FBGL a tad high at 6.2 this morning.
I won't be making my ginger cookies as the candied ginger seems to have disappeared.
I overdid it last night when I took a dear friend out for her birthday, although I ate a low carb supper, I had a glass of white wine and enjoyed tiramisu for dessert. FBs this am 6.4! I guess that shows that my normal diet really helps my fbs. I did take my metformin yesterday too, so I am obviously pretty subject to fluctuations when I stray from low carb.
Weekend off, after a few rather busy and long days. Have lots of errands today and will go to yoga as well as walking the dog.
I am so impressed with montana's weight loss. You go girl!
My week of strict atkins induction did nothing for me with weight loss, but a couple days of increased carbs just left my sugars out of wack.
Don't know what my next plan is. Will go back to induction today and for the weekend, and maybe a fat fast in my future to really kick start the weight loss.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hang in there Mad! You are a major source of support on this thread. I keep trying to tell myself that this is a lifestyle, not a diet or program. Some days will be good and some days will be bad, but if I try to do the right things most of the time, the progress will take care of itself.

I don't think that I can face a lifestyle where I never have a desert or a glass of wine with dinner. I'm not sure that we have to make that choice, at least I hope that we don't.

For what it is worth, I have moved away from the total no carb (or very low carb) eating. It seems to me that my body reacts better to a steady, moderate (15 - 30 carb) plan. Actually, it is almost always 15 or so. It is weird to me that my bs actually goes up or is more volatile if I have no carbs. Does anyone else experience this? I know that this is against the current popular diet thinking.

Anyway, happy weekend everyone!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #50  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Hang in there Mad!
DOn't worry, I will hang in there! Today was a much more normal 5.4 fbs. weight same, didn't gain for a night of fun. I think the key is that one night of fun is fine, just not too often. So I was pretty good yesterday, and plan induction type eating today.

I don't think that I can face a lifestyle where I never have a desert or a glass of wine with dinner. I'm not sure that we have to make that choice, at least I hope that we don't.
I agree, part of the point is to be able to enjoy life, free from the consequences of diabetes, but also to be able to enjoy a treat from time to time. I feel a bit more comfortable about that since I lost the first (almost) 20 pounds, but would like to get a bit lower this summer.

For what it is worth, I have moved away from the total no carb (or very low carb) eating. It seems to me that my body reacts better to a steady, moderate (15 - 30 carb) plan. Actually, it is almost always 15 or so. It is weird to me that my bs actually goes up or is more volatile if I have no carbs. Does anyone else experience this? I know that this is against the current popular diet thinking.

I assume you are talking about 15-30g of carbs per meal? I think this is fine if its working for you, but would also suggest the source of carbs may make a difference. Complex carbs for sure, whole grains for sure, but also more carbs from fruit and veggie sources than grains or sugars in general.
I also think that people have seen fat as a problem, something to be avoided, and one thing about atkins there is lots of fat and few problems. I think those who are calorie counting should make sure they get a reasonable number of calories from healthy fats (like 30-40%) as they have no effect on our blood sugars and make us feel more full and satisfied in general.

Anyway, happy weekend everyone!
I am having a good weekend, but the rain will go on all weekend. Tomorrow we take my dad to brunch for his birthday, and meet his new companion.
Today, is for housework, getting tax stuff ready (in Canada we don't have to file until April 30, and for me being self employed, I have until June 15th to file if I have already paid, so don't worry that I am behind, I am well ahead of my usual schedule!)
have a great day everyone
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #51  
Come on Spring!

Scale and BGL not good this morning but we all have days like that. I am just back from taking a carload of baking to a sale and checking up on the folks flipping pancakes. A nap would go well about now but it's not going to happen.

I have a salad ready for lunch to help avoid pancakes, sausages, BBQ hot dogs and other temptations. Lots of walking is happening today, rain or not, as there is very little parking left in this wee village of 300 houses! The Maple Syrup Festival is almost as busy as the Fair and Thanksgiving Festival, rain or shine!

Tomorrow should be a better scale and BGL day.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #52  

Sounds like a good plan, Ruth. I still consider each of those days to be a victory when I can do "close" to the right thing in the midst of all those temptations.

Fatmad, yes, I totally have experienced it that not all carbs are created equal. For me, the more "natural and fibrous" such as plain baked potato rather than white rice work best.

Anyway - have a good weekend everyone!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #53  
Come on Spring!

Weight is up again this morning. Bless me, sisters, for I have sinned. I was attacked by some maple syrup tarts in a weak moment. Today will be better as I hate slippage and have been down this slope before!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #54  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Weight is up again this morning. Bless me, sisters, for I have sinned. I was attacked by some maple syrup tarts in a weak moment. Today will be better as I hate slippage and have been down this slope before!
this is the reason I have never gone to the maple syrup festival in Elmira, (10 min away from me). I also have given up making homemade maple tarte sucre. I make it too well and its too yummy not to be tempted.

fbs was 5.5 today, had some carbs with bedtime snack, but I thought that would be a good thing, whole grain crackers with pate. apparently not.

cleaned out my closet yesterday. Decided not to worry about getting into old clothes that are out of fashion and "not me" anymore. On the plus side, last fall bought a summery/springy kind of skirt that was a bit snug in the waist band. even the weight is the same, and even measurements, I must be changing shape a bit with the yoga, as it fits nicely now.
Today is the birthday brunch with my Dad and meeting the new companion.
Hope we all make the 2 hour drive ok, its snowing out.
This may be "normal" for the northern and eastern gals like Ruth and Rosebud, but I don't remember snow halfway through April like this in this part of the world. Oh well, can't be helped, the snow tires are off and I will just have to deal.
Happy Sunday, and for those who are Christian, a blessed Palm Sunday to you.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #55  
Come on Spring!

Mad, It's absolutely crazy! We had torrential rain AND snow AND hail over the weekend. Last year it was 18º and sunny with my daffodils in bloom. I'm still wearing my winter jacket and gloves.

Well, the weekend did me in. My weight is back up to 189 and BGL this morning was 8.8. I know there was a ton of slippage over the weekend and some outright indulgences. The BGL is from nibbling dried figs last night "for medicinal purposes", of course. I know better and am going to focus on water and veggies today. The ticker is in purgatory until it is truthful.

Funny that you cleaned out clothing yesterday, Mad. I have that on my list for this week followed by a trip to Goodwill.

On we go with another week of striving for healthy eating!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #56  

My scales are up a bit this morning. BS reading up a bit, but still in the range doc wants it... just not where I want it. I'm sure it is from the salt in chips I bought. I flushed them down the garbage disposal. Just cannot have them in the house.

DH has docs appt today and we'll be eating out. He is talking pizza at a new place so not sure what I'll be eating. Hope to just go as low as I can. I had planned to have more of a low carb day today. Started that way with a a 2egg/veggie omlet. Still counting calories rather than carbs, just want to eat less carbs. May have do the best I can at lunch and then eat less carbs the rest of the day.

Mad & Ruth I hope you have better weather soon. We are going to be in low 80's most of the coming week.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #57  

Eating was OP today. DH decided he wanted to get Zaxby's 5 pc Chicken fingerz that we usually half. At first, I thought "oh no, not again". It is his favorite food lately. Then I had a vision come into my mind of the chicken salad I have eaten at Wendy's and realized that I could make a huge salad and cut the chicken into it and stay OP. Ate all the chicken pieces I cut up into the salad and ate a little more than half of the salad and saved the rest for later. Had a pork chop and the rest of the salad for dinner. Later had grapes and cashews and kitchen is now closed for the night. I'm still counting calories, but have decided that the food I'm going to center in on is protein, veggies and fruit and nuts. I think I need to make starchy carbs one of those foods that I will rarely eat.

Hope everyone has had a good day.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #58  
Madeleine

Default sinned too

We had a delightful family brunch for my Dad's birthday and I had dessert. Three layer choc mousse. Then had some more chocolate today. Will have to weigh in the am and see what the damage is. Back to plan in the morning.
Did get to yoga 3 times in the last 4 days, and am really happy that one of the yoga teachers has opened a studio closer to my home, so I will be trying out the new place this week, I hope.
I am still having trouble with my heel, (achilles tendonitis/plantar fasciitis etc? ) I got the new orthotics and in general, they help and make it better, but still having trouble. Will have to check it out with the doctor again.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #59  

Fatmad - sorry about your heel, I hope it eases. Good job with sticking to the
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #60  

OOOPPPS! I meant to say good job with the yoga.

It is cold here in Montana.

My bs has been great but I was under a lot of work stress this afternoon and my pre supper reading was back at 95. Oh, well, it is well within my goal limits but I prefer the mid 80's.

I think it is great that you enjoyed some chocolate mouse at your Dad's birthday brunch. Did you like the new companion?

My aunt called me last night and asked me to make the desert for Easter. I haven't told most of my family about my diabetes. I am thinking a cheesecake. I make good ones and I was thinking that I can limit the sugar and still make a desert that everyone will love
Closed Thread