Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #91  

I just read this forum and it kinda hit home. After being on antidepressants for 10 years I never had thought about them being the reason for my weight gain.

Why do you think this happens? Do they lower your metabolism or something? I'm taking Lexapro now and loosing weight but it been really hard for me.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:49 AM   #92  

Hi and welcome Valerie Joy! Glad that you just read this forum and it "kinda hit home!' I think that I have been on antidepressants for at lest 20 years! I'm no doctor, although I am a Chemist, but some antidepressants do cause weight gain as a side effect.

I do not know why this happens and each individual is diferrently affected. I don't know if they lower metabolism, but age certainly does. I'm not familiar with Lexapro but some of the others on the thread are. Congrats, even though it's been really hard for you, on losing weight!

Again,

Casper
Old 10-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #93  
Super Star

You know this is the FIRST HAlloween ever that I have not bought candy ahead of time. Since the doc said I could not have all that stuff do to a funny gall bladder I decided not to get it. Oh but hearing you talk about it..man oh man..i wish I could find some substitute for chocolate. The WW oreo cookie giant bars are amazing..you would never know that they are diet..but I want one piece of candy that does not have any splenda in it. That stuff is really harsh on my system.

So if anyone knows of something i could sub for those awesome kisses..sigh would be very greatful!

Casper glad you posted been wondering about you and how you are doing! You sound like such an awesome person..am glad i am getting to know you and everyone else!

Tracy
Old 10-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #94  

Thanks for the welcome Casper. When I was reading this thread yesterday a little light bulb went on in my head. I'm not saying I'm not to blame for my weight gain but I think taking that little pill for 10 years definetly had something to do with it!

As far as halloween candy I have glowsticks and pencils this year. I might go out and get candy the day before halloween but most kids LOVE the glowsticks!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #95  
Super Star

Hi Valerie,

Love the flower picture! I was born outside of chicago but moved around a lot. was back last Spring and could not believe how much it had changed but for the good. It if were not for the winters and the price of housing my husband and I would love to live there.

Where do you get the glow sticks? A party store or dollar tree?

I am so sorry I missed saying hello to you! Am glad you are here.

Tracy
Old 10-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #96  

Hi Tracy!

We haven't bought candy for Halloween for quite some time. Our ward councilman throws a huge Halloween party every year and it's a family affair, so eversince the kids have been walking and talking, we've been going to that hence, we don't by candy because we're not home to give it out!

Speaking of gall bladders, I had so many gall stones that I had to have mine removed 3 summers ago. Wouldn't it be great if there were a substitute for chocolate?! Mmmmmmmmmm. I never tried the WW oreo cookie giant bars. I am on SlimFast and South Beach Diet stuff. Slimfast has some good chocolate stuff! They are pretty good - so good that I often find some missing - my kids must not think that they are diet. I don't do Splenda or any sugar substitute. I must have my sugar!

Tracy, you flatter me! Didn't realize I was missed. It's so nice to know that you've been wondering about me and how I was doing! With the "tiff" and all I guess I was in a very dark place.........BTW, thanks for the support on my journal. Do I really sound like an awesome person? Thank you, Tracy, for the compliment! I'm glad that you are glad that you are getting to know me and everyone else! I'm glad that I am getting to know you !

Take care and keep in touch!

Hi Valerie Joy! You are for the

huh? None of us are saying that we are not to blame for our weight gain, but I agree that taking that/those little pill(s) for 10 (20 in my case) years has had something to do with it. I actually blame 911! I started binging out on food and have been increasing in weight ever since. Of course there is my age and the fact that my metabloism has slowed down and middle age spread and the fact that I am post menopausal.........

As far as halloween candy I have just the for my Mary Kay Halloween sale at our church's bazaar this Friday and Saturday. I'm trying not to go out and buy anything. Like I said, we are not home on Halloween - we go to our ward councilman's party for the ward! It's a family affair blast!

Casper
Old 10-27-2005, 08:48 AM   #97  
Super Star

casper you are like that wiff of warm breeze that brings the lovely scent!! You are so postive and always say hello and write the nicest stuff to people!!! What a fun day at Halloween...we do not have things like that...i used to go to parties at Halloween all the time in Florida...Will be trick or treating for the first time in our new neighbohbood..we are the only house on our street decorated..sigh..oh well..i LOVE halloween..only night of the year when you can be someone else!!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:11 AM   #98  

Hi TallTracy!

Thank you for the compliments! (boy did I need them, right now.....) That means that you are my guardian angel for the night!

What a nice thing to say! I am like that wiff of warm breeze that brings the lovely scent! Wow! That's deep! I try to stay positive and it delights me to always say hello. I try to write nice stuff to people. Who wants to write yucky stuff to people???!!! I love Halloween! I havn't been to an adult party for Halloween since I lived in Montana. That was years ago and 1 DH ago! But now we go to the councilman's party every year! It's a fun, family blast! Hope you have fun trick or treating for the first time in your new neighborhood - so who cares if you guys are the only house on the street that's decorated?! They're just not cool! you're absolutely right - it's the only night of the year when you can be someone else (or maybe it's the only night of the year when you can be yourself!)

Have a good one!

Casper
Old 10-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #99  
Pending Email Confirmation

I've been on celexa for just 2 weeks and I feel I have put some pounds on.... not good!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:14 PM   #100  

Hi Mazarin! I'm not familiar with celexa, but mind if I ask what are you doing for WL? OP?

Casper
Old 10-29-2005, 08:51 AM   #101  

Last night was my first night on my upped dosage of Zyprexa -10mgs. Feeling a little antsy.

I'm dressed and ready to go to the church for the 2nd day of our annual fall bazaar. Wish me luck!

Casper
Old 10-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper5AXTSU76
Hi Mazarin! I'm not familiar with celexa, but mind if I ask what are you doing for WL? OP?

Casper
At the moment I am on Xencial although have not been that good at taking over the past 6 weeks or so as my depression came back and it's been a bad couple of weeks, hence going back onto anti-depressants again.

I am hoping to start the xencial again really soon, was these anti-depress have perhaps kicked in.

I thought of WLS, but here in the UK it's hard to get on the NHS....

I am trying to follow the GI diet
Old 10-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #103  

Hi Mazarin!

I thought that you were on celexa?! I'm not familiar with Xenical either. Sorry to hear that you've not been good at taking it over the past 6 weeks. Naturally your depression came back. Sorry that it's been a bad couple of weeks, but glad to know that you're back on your antidepressants.

You're hoping to start the Xenical again? what are you on - Celexa or Xenical?

What's WLs and NHS?

What's the GI diet?

Sorry, but I'm real bummed out right now. Have been gone to the church yesterday and today for our annual fall church bazaar, and my husband had his fit that I was not home being "Hazel." Everytime I go out of this house to do something for me or that I like, he has a fit about how messy the house is. Mind you, he's been home all day playing videos with my son. I was making money for me to be an active Mary Kay consultant again, but he doesn't wnat me to - says that I don't do anything around the house, which is true, because I'm always too depressed to. He wants me to get a job, but doesn't want me to do Mary Kay! Earlier my stepfather downed me at the church when someone gave me a decorative basket for my bathroom(s) and he had to make a comment about how messy and that their was no room to put the basket in our bathrooms. First of all, we have 3 bathrooms and he has never seen the third one. and second of all he is an anal neat freak!

Sorry for the venting, but I'm so tired and mad and hurt that I needed to vent. Enough rambling.

Casper
Old 10-31-2005, 07:07 AM   #104  

Yes I take Celexa for the depression, an SSRI which is known to cause weight gain, so I am parnoid on this right now as I don't want to put on more weight. I also take Xenical, I just picked up a new script for this today and I am going to start back on it this week.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:47 AM   #105  

So, Celexa is a SSRI antidepressant which is known to cause weight gain - bummer. What is the Xenical for?

I have a doctor's appt. "today" and my husband is messing me up - he has a cluster meeting for the PO and will have the car which means that I will have to use the truck, which starts when it wants to. I might not make it. Got to get meds checked.

Casper
Closed Thread