Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

Well I have been very surprised to hear just how much weight people have gained on various anti Ds. I recently gained 2 stone, and I thought it was just down to overeating, but I wonder now if it's because I started on a different anti d. I started dieting on Monday. I will give it a month before I get on the scales again and if I haven't lost weight, then I will be straight to my doctors to see about changing the meds. How much does it suck though that we take meds because of our depression, and may end up putting on weight which will depress us more!!

Gayle, I am the same as you, if I come off my anti ds I am a mess. Even with them I find it hard to drag myself out of bed. I agree with the others, if you are gaining weight even though you are dieting, then you really should ask your doctor to try you on a different anti D. I will be doing that if I find myself in the same boat. Good luck,

Hugs,

Ammi

Old 08-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #17  

About 2 months ago I decided I wanted off of Celexa. (My depression was situational, and I thought it was time to fly alone.) I've been reducing very, very gradually, and have gone from 40 to 10mg per day, and expect to stop entirely within a week or two. Since then I've finally started to lose weight. I'm not following a "diet", just cutting booze and candy/chocolate, and trying to eat more like a thin person.

The major difference is that I'm not as obsessed with food. And I do think it's the Celexa. I gained a ton of weight because I ate compulsively, and while the urge is still there, it's much more controllable. I'm not as sleepy either. I'm still taking Welbutrin, and it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on my appetite.

All this to say that you might do better on another AD, which I'm sure your MD can help you find. Good luck in your search, and in getting the weight off.

Oh, and by the way, a friend of mine had the opposite experience on Celexa: She's a naturally energetic person, but with the Celexa it was like she was on speed, buzzing about "doing" and needing very little sleep. It also removed all craving for food, and she slimmed down beautifully, not that she was fat to start with. Some people have all the luck!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:06 PM   #18  
low-carb forever!

S/C/G: 206/137/137

Height: 5'7"

>I recently gained 2 stone, and I thought it was just down to overeating, but I wonder now if it's because I started on a different anti d.<

It probably IS due to overeating, but the overeating is caused by cravings from the meds. I have managed to get the weight off, but it hasn't been easy. Like you, I can't go off them or I'm a mess, and I've been on enough different meds to know that the SSRIs work the best for me. Unfortunetly, those are also the ones that cause weight gain.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #19  
I like jewelry.

Blargh, the "better to be happy than to be thin" line always bugs me, especially when it comes from doctors. Gaining weight makes people depressed. Putting people on drugs that cause weight gain -- even indirectly -- is not always a smart move. End rant.

All I can say is to switch meds... that's what worked for me. If your doctor is totally unsympathetic to the weight issue, switch docs.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #20  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmiUK
How much does it suck though that we take meds because of our depression, and may end up putting on weight which will depress us more!!
Well said, Ammi. I remember when my shrink was experimenting with my meds -- I'm Bipolar II, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax compared to Bipolar I (for starters I'm not supposed to take actual anti-depressants). She said the me: "Well, we could try X medication, but one of the side effects is weight gain." I looked at her and said, "Then it would be a waste of time, because I'll still be depressed." Luckily, she's FANTASTIC, and we've found a good *med cocktail* (anti-seizure meds + one mood stabilizer) that works for me. The whole meds/weight gain thing is a real pain, isn't it?

Last edited by LovesBassets; 08-25-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #21  

Default I feel your pain

I've been fighting with the depression demon for about 10 years now and for a while I felt like an experimental rat with all of the meds that I tried. I've tried everything from wellbutrin, paxil, prozac, effexor (which worked the best for me), lexipro and now celexia (insurance wouldn't pay for lexipro any longer). After I started taking the lexipro, 5 weeks later I went to the Dr to follow up and had gained 7-8 lbs. IN 5 WEEKS! And it's done nothing but go up from there. I mentioned my weight gain to him and he told me it was not the meds but lack of watching what I'm eating and physical activity. I was convinved he was right. When I moved to Fla, almost 2 years ago, I weighted 145, but was also very stressed out. So I was ok with gaining about 10 lbs. My usual weight lingered around 155-160. After getting my first desk job ever and being on the meds for a year, I've managed to gain 40-45 lbs. I've been following the Zone for the last month and as soon as I completely give up the Mt Dew and get serious, if I don't start losing weight, I'm going to suggest that I go back to effexor. I was even taking meds for migraines that suppress your appetite and I've still gained weight. I'm now also taking straterra so I'm even more concerned about the weight. But my whole point is to be without them is impossible and to be with them is to be "Fluffly", where is the happy medium? For me, it's trying to remember how miserable I was without them. Good luck and hold your head high
Old 08-30-2005, 02:52 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
Well said, Ammi. I remember when my shrink was experimenting with my meds -- I'm Bipolar II, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax compared to Bipolar I (for starters I'm not supposed to take actual anti-depressants). She said the me: "Well, we could try X medication, but one of the side effects is weight gain." I looked at her and said, "Then it would be a waste of time, because I'll still be depressed." Luckily, she's FANTASTIC, and we've found a good *med cocktail* (anti-seizure meds + one mood stabilizer) that works for me. The whole meds/weight gain thing is a real pain, isn't it?

Thanks for all the encouragement, empathy and inspiration, ladies (and gents, if any are here..)

lilith

Last edited by lilith9; 01-29-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #23  
I like jewelry.

Michelle -- FYI, I've lost weight on Strattera.

For all you bipolar people out there, I lost weight, and my thyroid went back to normal, once I switched from lithium to lamictal
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #24  

Unhappy

Hi. I'm new to this forum and thread. I am bipolar. I'm 48 and have 2 children, 7 and 9 yrs. old. I'm on Xanax XR 1MG every 12 hours, Efexxor 50MG, Zyprexa 5MG and my OBGYN has me on Sarafem 20 Mg. I started gaining weight on 9-11. My scale is currently in need of batteries, but I am about 150 - 160. I used to be on Depakote. I also used to be on Paxil. I also suffer more from the depressive side;my manic part is also manifested in anxiety. I don't have a real exercising routine or weightloss program. I try to drink Slimfast. I don't like to go out of the house, because everytime I run into someone I know they ask me have I gained weight. And I seem to go up on the scale more than I go down.

I'm open to any and all help, support, and suggestions on when/how to begin. (besides getting some new batteries for my scale)

Casper
Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #25  
prepare for the BEST time

HI Casper! welcome and please join in on the daily thread.

I've been on several different meds stopping last year because nothing seemed to work (zoloft gave me true love for Ben and Jerry and intense SWEATING, Wellbutrin made me crazy and I don't remember what the Paxil did)...but I wound up gain a terrific amount of weight since 2003.

you and I are the same age (see my bio) and I can totally relate to being asked questions about weight...."yes, I managed to gain 8FLIPPING POUNDS LAST WEEK, HOW KIND OF YOU TO NOTICE!!!"

I also have terrible anxiety and have been seeing psych. therapist for over 2 years. I was dx'd with "reactive depression" that occured over an adverse personal event and it escalated to major depression. I'm just pulling out of it, but still have episodes of complete self-distructive behavior, although I now recognize the triggers and don't crash and burn as often.

But hiding in the house and slimfast are not the answer.....try a balanced lower-fat portion controlled diet and get up every day out of the house and MOVE. walking and some light dumbbells for weight sets is a good place to start and it WILL give you a better outlook...for me NOT exercising is not an option....it truely lifts me out of a funk. I still take anti-anxiety meds but only a 1/2 mg of Ativan on a PRN basis, nothing steady and heavy.

you're on a lot of meds (Xanex every 12 HOURS? wow, that's a lot). YOu might want to make an appt. with your doctor and ask them to re-evaluate your meds based on how you feel, and tell them you're not happy with the weight gain.....maybe there is an alternative for you to the Effexxor? See if your insurance covers a referral to a RD consult and work from there.

My doctor told me that due to all the different meds (I also had an accident last year and surgery, took heavy pain-killers for 3 months with NO exercise) I have really messed with my metabolism and it takes time to get back a more effiecient rate.

At 48 it's harder to lose, but it is possible. good luck and welcome again.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #26  

TBJ333,
Thanks for the heads up! My sister used to be a pharmacy tech and she said the same thing. I've been following the Zone Diet for about 6 weeks now pretty much faithfully...weighing everything, counting , etc. and with the exception of my 1 Mt Dew mon-fri, I have lost like 1 lb. So with that issue I did a google search on anti depressants and weight gain, don't know what took so many years to finally do the search, but I was amazed. Celexia is one of the top AD that you will pack the pounds on with. I go back to the Dr on 9/12 and I'm telling him that I want to go back on Effexor. Aside from horrible withdrawls when I came off of them for a while, I never had any problems and they worked for me. When I explained all of this to the Dr who put me on celexia, he said that I wouldn't be on them for that long and here he goes increasing my dosage. I can't be without AD's and I've accepted that. So with that info, I'd prefer to be on one that doesn't make me want to eat all the time.
Thanks again for the FYI.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #27  
low-carb forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMichelle
TBJ333,
Thanks for the heads up! My sister used to be a pharmacy tech and she said the same thing. I've been following the Zone Diet for about 6 weeks now pretty much faithfully...weighing everything, counting , etc. and with the exception of my 1 Mt Dew mon-fri, I have lost like 1 lb. So with that issue I did a google search on anti depressants and weight gain, don't know what took so many years to finally do the search, but I was amazed. Celexia is one of the top AD that you will pack the pounds on with. I go back to the Dr on 9/12 and I'm telling him that I want to go back on Effexor. Aside from horrible withdrawls when I came off of them for a while, I never had any problems and they worked for me. When I explained all of this to the Dr who put me on celexia, he said that I wouldn't be on them for that long and here he goes increasing my dosage. I can't be without AD's and I've accepted that. So with that info, I'd prefer to be on one that doesn't make me want to eat all the time.
Thanks again for the FYI.
It seems like all the SSRIs have that effect of hunger and weight gain. And yet SSRIs also work the best on my depression. Both Zoloft and Celexa have worked on my depression, while Wellbutrin (a different drug class) was only so-so. I packed on 40 pounds with the Zoloft. I can handle the Celexa without weight gain as long as I faithfully stick to Atkins. (I also weigh and measure all my food. I got my Mom to send me her old Weight Watchers food scale.)

At any rate, in my experience all the SSRIs cause weight gain, including Effexor, but everyone reacts differently, so if Effexor doesn't have that effect on you, more power to you! All I can do is let Atkins control the cravings and not beat myself up on the occations I do give in.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #28  

Wink Victoria, I can't use the "F" part!

That's another thing is that I have tried the whole low carb thing and I actually gained weight on it. I was shocked. My boss does it and lost 30 lbs. so she kept saying to hold on because it took her about 5 weeks before she noticed any changes. I don't even think it's a carb issue for me, it's the meds. Even if I work out, which I used to do religiously, I still won't lose. So that's why I'm just going to see if he'll put me back on Effexor. I've accepted the fact that I'll never be able to be off of them, so why not go with something that works!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #29  

Welcome Casper! I'm fairly new too, but isn't it something the support that you can find among strangers? Bi-polar runs in my family and my best friend was recently diagnosed with it. Although I can't advise on that, my issues are all depression, my advise to you is to pay more attention to how your clothes fit, less to the numbers on the scale and when people make comments about you gaining weight, smile and tell them you wouldn't know, your focus is on more important things in life, not the numbers on a scale
Old 09-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #30  
low-carb forever!

Working out doesn't really help me either, though it certainly can't hurt so I do go to the gym. Mostly I just need to control the calories, and so I count calories AND carbs. I *like* the acceptable foods and would probably gain if I didn't count calories. I use FitDay and try to keep my fat about 50% and carbs no higher than 15%.

I can't be off my meds, either. It's most likely lifelong if I want to live something approximating a normal life. The difference in me from before my meds is like night and day. I feel 100% better on them.
Closed Thread