Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #151  

Hi
I've had the same problem. I don't know if I it's really T.O.M. causing it or if it's just an excuse but the cravings have been bad.

the weird dreams continue...

my appointment with the doc isn't until Friday next week so I'm hanging out for that. also trying to focus on not spreading myself so thin as i tend to try to do too many things...
Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 AM   #152  

Hi Sherrl! Welcome or should I say welcome back!

I can't take Zoloft and I didn't like wellbutrin XL. Good Luck! I know what you mean - I was thinner both 7 and 9 years ago both when I was expecting and after givng birth to both of my kids.

Hi sweet_pea! Never heard of cipramil. I haven't had a nightmare for a whlie - think about last year around March.

Hi GG

Glad to see that you checked in! Sorry to hear that you had a rough week. Haven't had Aunt Flo since I can remember. Hope you are less depressed now.

Hi kespinoza!

Casper
Old 01-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #153  

Default New Here: HELP!

Hello everyone:

I have been reading the messages in this thread for about an hour now. I am new to this forum so please bear with me if I have made a mistake about where and how to post.

I suffer from Major Depression and Anxiety Disorder +++ for many years now.
I was a normal weight as a child and adult until I got depressed and they started in with the drugs. First came the trycyclics with all the unpleasant side effects and WEIGHT GAIN. Then came the SSRI's, and I got on Prozac and yay! I lost three pounds. At least I wasn't gaining anymore.

Everything has been relatively good weight wise. Depression wise, not much seems to help me. I have my ups and my downs.

But what has happened now has blown me away. I started on Seroquel in October (three months now) and it worked liike magic. I felt as well as I had before i ever got sick. I was amazed at what it was like to feel so normal!!!
Then, just after Christmas, I started to feel the depression coming back. It is like it is on my back and it is gradually taking me over. It is coming; I try not to think about it , but there it is again ... the darkness.

Regarding my weight I have ballooned up 40 more pounds since October on Seroquel. I am dieting and each day the scale seems to go up. I called my doctor today and have an appointment to see her Thursday. I don't really know what can be done.

For a lousy three good months, I have to pay with 40+ extra pounds to lose.
Sorry for all the whining but I needed so much to vent.
Is there anyone out there who is struggling in this way. It is so hard.

Thanks for reading.
Dreeanna
Old 01-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #154  

hi dreeanna
absolutely i know how you feel. the anti depressants affected my weight a little but the main impact was from antipsychotics. the seroquel you are taking is an antipsychotic. you talk about ups and downs. have you been evaluated for bipolar - seroquel is sometimes used for bipolar

the antipsychotics i was on added weight extremely rapidly. they affect your ability to notice when you are full so maybe you could plan your calories in advance with fitday.com and then stick to it to make sure you are having the right amount and a healthy balance

i am glad you are seeing your doctor. if the depression is creeping in then your doc may add an antidepressant or some other medication to the mix. good luck
Old 01-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #155  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG
and on 40 mgs of celexa
I am on celexa too. I am going to the medical weight loss clinic, if you have one nearby you should check it out. They give you a good diet and exercise plan, nutrients, as well as monitor your vitamins. They even work around AD's. Have you tried any other AD's? Wellbutrin is good it gives you a little extra umph. I was on Prozac for a long time I did really good on it. I find that I have gained a lot of weight being on celexa though. I am thinking of switching back to Prozac, have you tried prozac? Good luck to you though, you might want to talk to your doctor about trying another perscription, maybe you'll like it better.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:28 AM   #156  

Hi. I am on 40mgs of Celexa too! I also take Risperdal for my anxiety. I was taking Seroquel but found that it was knocking me out too much. I have been on ADs for 5 years but my weight has been going up for 13...... guess I can't blame them!

I did notice that I had a more rapid weight gain when on the Seroquel but the addition of the antipsychotic did the trick for me feeling better.

Since last September I have lost 22 lbs and only have a 108 more to go!

It is possible to lose weight when on ADs but you really have to plan out your intake and stick to it. If I break down and have a nibble of a "bad" carb (cookie, donut, chips, etc.) the cravings become unbearable and I give in to them........ so, I have learnt (and continue to relearn) that I can't give in the first time.

I go to LA Weight Loss and one thing that they have suggested (and so far it appears to be helping) is to make sure that you are taking really good multivitamins for weight loss. This will help with the cravings because it is making sure that your body is getting all of the vitamins and minerals that it needs.

Unfortunately there does appear to be a trade off between feeling good and your weight. But, eventually I know I will reach my goal weight and I will be that much healthier!

Good luck to everyone here.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #157  

Kristen - I can really understand where you are coming from. I am 41 years old but have had clinical depression since I was probably 12 years old. I was the favourite target by the majority of the girls that I went to elementary school with. To this day you can count the number of friends I have on one hand --- but the friends that I do have are very close and supportive.

It is very hard at any age to lose a friend due to your mental health. When I was going through one of my depressive episodes (I lost a job because of my depression and couldn't work for almost a year) the girl who I thought was my closest friend (I had known her for 12 years) told me that she didn't want to be friends with me anymore because I was too depressed. I eventually got over it and you know what, I was better off without having her as a friend!

Do you see a counsellor? It must be tough for you at home with a special needs sibling. My son has cerebral palsy and severe AD/HD and I know how much of my time he takes up. I am not aware of any support groups for siblings of a special needs child but if I find one I will let you know.

If you need someone to talk to feel free to talk to me -- I am not sure how much I can help but I am a pretty good listener and, who knows, I may even be able to give you good advice.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:43 AM   #158  

zsuzsu - seroquel is also an antipsychotic, i used to take it for my nightmares

i definitely found antipsychotics have an impact on my weight. it ballooned after taking them
Old 01-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #159  

Default Weight Gain On Seroquel/what To Do?

sweet pea wrote <<
hi dreeanna
absolutely i know how you feel. the anti depressants affected my weight a little but the main impact was from antipsychotics. the seroquel you are taking is an antipsychotic. you talk about ups and downs. have you been evaluated for bipolar - seroquel is sometimes used for bipolar

Hi Sweet Pea:
Yes, but they say I am not bipolar. I am major depressive disorder.

sweet pea wrote <<
the antipsychotics i was on added weight extremely rapidly. they affect your ability to notice when you are full so maybe you could plan your calories in advance with fitday.com and then stick to it to make sure you are having the right amount and a healthy balance>>

this is very good advice. I actually have the most hunger pangs in the morning (completely unlike me)... like I have to eat 3 breakfasts. and I mean growling stomach hunger.

Thank you for replying to my message. Does the weight every just stop going on? Do you level out? Anyone.

I am seeing my doc today. I was doing really well on the Seroquel, for like 3 months, then right after Christmas I got so down. Thing is, I don't know if its that the drug's not working anymore, or if I'm down over the weight thing. Wouldn't want to quit a drug that seems to have helped me so much when no other drug has. But this weight thing has got to go. I'm afraid it won't stop. Paniicking here.

Thanks,
Dreeanna
Old 01-13-2006, 05:15 AM   #160  

hi dreeanna - how did you get on with your doctor

yes the weight does level out it doesn't keep ballooning but you do have to keep on top of it and that's hard LOL

I need to do something about my weight too but right now I am struggling with my mood and anxiety so I am not eating well
Old 01-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #161  

Default Sweetpea and all struggling to lose weight on medications

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea
hi dreeanna - how did you get on with your doctor

yes the weight does level out it doesn't keep ballooning but you do have to keep on top of it and that's hard LOL

I need to do something about my weight too but right now I am struggling with my mood and anxiety so I am not eating well

Hi SweetPea:
I saw my doc yesterday and she is thinking of prescribing phentermine for me for a brief period of time to get my weight loss jump started. I know I will have to do the majority of the work: exercise and diet: and I really need support for this. I am going to stay on the seroquel. If I don't stop gaining weight real soon, though, I will go off, for something else. But, as long as the Seroquel seems to hellp (and so far, it does, with a Christmas time out where I went down in the dumps again), I want to try to continue to take it.
Where the trade off ends is another story.
As I said in other posts, I gained 15 pounds on this drug, very rapidly, and I already had major weight concerns.

As you say, it is so much harder to do all this when you are struggling with mood and anxiety problems. Hey, it is hard when you are feeling good to do it. I guess, Sweet Pea, try to hang in there and just not gain any more during this time. Then, when you begin to feel better, go for it, again!

If you want, you and anyone else on here, we can form a personal email system of support, but that would be up to you all and down the line a few weeks.

I have
Old 01-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #162  

it will be interesting to see how the phentermine works. like everything it has side effects but it should make you quite "perky" for a while, at least that's what happened with a friend of mine.

good luck with that. i was thinking the same thing about needing something to jump start weight loss. how much weight do you need to lose?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #163  

Have you thought of switching anti-depressants? I took Welbutrin SR for about two years and I lost weight. I actually started gaining weight back after I quit taking it. I have thought about starting back on them to help me lose weight again. Just something to think about.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #164  
Dede

Question...
Is there hope for me loosing weght while on PROZAC...I have made an effort within the past year and see no results...have just started WW again and the weight isnt falling off like it did the first time...

I need a success story PLEASE!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #165  

i'm seeing my doc in 2 days so we'll discuss options then but as i have severe anxiety not all antidepressants are suitable

dede - it is definitely possible to lose weight on prozac, it doesn't affect your appetite. good luck
Closed Thread